• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Indiana toddler, allegedly dangled by grandfather, dies after plunging 150 feet from cruise ship

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Horrifying. That poor child. I'll wait for the details before commenting on the circumstances. <<bites tongue>>

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the circumstances, there's a family that will never be the same. I feel sorriest for the parents of the child- at least one of which is the child of the grandfather. What a shame.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Punishment should fit the (alleged) crime, so the grandfather's grandfather should dangle him from a cruise ship and . . .

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
It is stories like this that really makes me worry about the future of the human race.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Very sad, what kind of game was he playing with the baby?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@MULTIZ321 - Richard, I'd like to ask you a question if I might.....

Why did you choose to start a thread on this particular story?

Now I am asking this NOT from a standpoint of disgust or confrontation but rather to ask for insight as to why you choose this particular story?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I could have gone my entire life without seeing this headline. Seriously awful. People can be so evil. I don't care if it was not intentional.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
@MULTIZ321 - Richard, I'd like to ask you a question if I might.....

Why did you choose to start a thread on this particular story?

Now I am asking this NOT from a standpoint of disgust or confrontation but rather to ask for insight as to why you choose this particular story?
Hi bbodb1,

I'm not offended by the question. General interest story and a reminder not to do something foolish as to what happened.

Best Regards.

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned YEARS ago to NOT travel with people I DO NOT KNOW EXTREMELY WELL.

It also involved a cruise (QE2 from NYC to England) and I simply have chosen NOT to visit, see, socialize or connect with common friends/associates. An elementry school principal ... I am shocked his teaching staff never boiled him in oil or tarred & feathered him.

As for this grandfather ... I hope he has a disminised mental health (medical) issue.

As for the parents and possible other siblings, professional grief theapy is a MUST. My parents lost a sibling at 3 months due to 'crib death' .. . now called SIDs (sudden infant death syndrome). My mother suffered til she died in her late 70s ... after developing dementia. I had to inform all her aides ... ask all you want about her daugters ... do not ask about any sons. She would become HIGHLY upset for hours .. asking for my surviving brother (with fear something had happened to him). Of course, it did NOT help that my brother NEVER showed up on time or even showed up for some preplanned home visit ... I don't know how he shows for his court dates as a trial defense lawyer.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
This is a local to my immediate metro area family. So our headlines all day are covering every inch of it.
I will say I assume Richard shared it since it was a travel-related item.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a grandparent, I would never dangle one of my grandchildren out of a window or from a cruise ship balcony or anywhere else. This is a very sad story.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This story is also posted on the Cruise Critics website.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It isn't uncommon for a grand parent to drop a grand kid. Recently, my youngest grand daughter that had all of the health problems at birth but is healthy now, slipped out of my arm while I was adjusting her high chair. I was trying to move the table back to put her in and she was trying to get in. Luckily she only slipped out and I was able to grab her leg. Her mom didn't seem too impressed. By the way she was acting I'm sure my grand daughter didn't care and actually might have thought it was fun.

I'm sure it was an accident but never the less very tragic.

Bill

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first story I read said he was sitting her on the ledge which still is really bad. I still see parents doing that at the zoo. What the heck are they thinking.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think we need to wait for more details be determining what really happened. I have read and heard so many different scenarios to what lead up to the fall. In any case, it is truly awful and as said, the family will never be the same.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, now it sounds like a terrible accident (although I am having a hard time understanding the window/railing/kids area configuration). What a horrendous tragedy.
I saw a picture of the windows on another site, I guess. I've seen this topic and the Disneyland fight on pretty much every website, so I can't say where I saw it, but there are some large slider windows, square or rectangle shaped in the public areas on the ship. They are high enough that I can't imagine why anyone would sit a kid there, but the gist of the story is that the grandfather sat the child in the open window and then lost his footing and she plummeted out to her death.

The family is suing the cruise ship for negligence. I haven't seen it specified what the negligence is, but I can imagine a number of things in a public area on a cruise ship that would cause someone to lose their footing and get hurt. What I can't imagine is why someone would sit a young child or anyone or anything for that matter, in an open window. The height makes it that much worse, but really sitting anyone in any open window, no matter how close to the ground seems very stupid to me.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Standard warnings in your cabin always say "don't sit or climb or railings" but still ... given the amount of alcohol consumed on cruises, I'm surprised there are any openings bigger than your head. I'm not saying this incident was alcohol related, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Not to take away from this tragic topic, but what's also crazy is Alaskan cruise safety briefings: "If you fall overboard or end up in the water, you have 90 seconds before you will more than likely die due to hypothermia".......