• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hullman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been lurking around TUG for about a year. My story... Stayed at the Hilton in NYC and listened to their spiel in 2018 bad turned them down. We purchased a "try before you but" package for $1695 for 7200 points. We booked at the Grand Islander in HI and still have points left over.

We went through the sales presentation in HI and told them I read TUG and would buy resale. After 2 hours they offered 5000 EOY points with 16200 bonus points to be booked within 2 years. Total $14200 at Tuscany Village. $1195 Assessment fee. 2 bedroom Type 2 ownership interest. Somehow we signed on. I see that the going rate for points resale is about $1 per point.

Should we rescind and but on open market? We want to go to Greece/Italy and a cruise in the next few years. Just me and the Mrs. now, 2 grown children

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Been lurking around TUG for about a year. My story... Stayed at the Hilton in NYC and listened to their spiel in 2018 bad turned them down. We purchased a "try before you but" package for $1695 for 7200 points. We booked at the Grand Islander in HI and still have points left over.

We went through the sales presentation in HI and told them I read TUG and would buy resale.
After 2 hours they offered 5000 EOY points with 16200 bonus points to be booked within 2 years. Total $14200. Somehow we signed on. I see that the going rate for points resale is about $1 per point.

Should we rescind and but on open market? We want to go to Greece/Italy and a cruise in the next few years. Just me and the Mrs. now, 2 grown children
I would rescind. You can get a better deal by far on the secondary market. And timesharing in Europe is not what it is in the U.S./Caribbean/Mexico, so don't let that color your decision. Rescission just gives you time to make sure it's right for you. The deal you bought will ALWAYS be available if it turns out to be the best deal for you, but I'm confident that it won't be.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely rescind and do your research. Trading HGV points for cruising is possible but it is a poor value.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

We went through the sales presentation in HI and told them I read TUG and would buy resale. After 2 hours they offered 5000 EOY points with 16200 bonus points to be booked within 2 years. Total $14200 at Tuscany Village. $1195 Assessment fee. 2 bedroom Type 2 ownership interest. Somehow we signed on. I see that the going rate for points resale is about $1 per point.

Absolutely rescind and make sure you follow every step. Maybe rent into other programs, you may like Hyatt or Marriott or Westin’s. Point is try a bit of everything and do research! Also, don’t plan on Europe with timeshares. Europe isn’t set up like that. Book an Airbnb villa or flat in Europe. You’ll get a better experience.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Yes, rescind now while you can. Do more research. You won't regret it!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You mean to say you have been hornswoggled (bamboozled).
But if you really want to pay ~ 4x too much and don't want
like ~ 5K points annually for 1/2 the $$... then keep this dog.

BTW, those bonus points will quickly disappear and you'll be
left with a TS for which you still paid way too much.

OTOH, if you want to check out what you should'a paid, go to:
www.judikoz, www.sellingtimeshares.net, www.redweek.com,
the marketplace here on TUG, or closed auctions on eBay.

In the meantime, since you asked... yes, RESCIND!
Everyone who signed the contract must sign the letter.
Do not accept calls from the sales office trying to save the sale.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should we rescind and but on open market?

Since you've been reading TUG for about a year, have you ever seen more than a rare, very special deal post on HGVC where the advice was not to rescind? I think you knew the answer before you asked :)

But good to get confirmation. And great that you were already aware of this within time.

We really should have a sticky at the top of the forum with just a subject line that says "If you have to ask thenm yes, you should rescind!" :)

Cheers.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Rescind and buy resale. No one blaming you for buying from resort. Half of all tuggers initially did. In fact, 23 days ago, I bought a $4.5k TS from resort. Following TUG advice, I rescinded the next day. That same day I rescinded, I got a $1 resale offer for same TS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Rescind and buy resale. No one blaming you for buying from resort. Half of all tuggers initially did. In fact, 23 days ago, I bought a $4.5k TS from resort. Following TUG advice, I rescinded the next day. That same day I rescinded, I got a $1 resale offer for same TS.

Where do you own?

Hullman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your quick responses! I agree with brp about the sticky and I knew that everyone would say rescind, but just wanted that confirmation. The only reason I agreed was because I know we could rescind, but let's get the paperwork in their hands.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where do you own?

Wife and I first bought and then rescinded a $4.5k TS at Massanutten Resort. Upon talking with my wife, Massanutten Resort is not the resort for us. We like to venture outside the resort for our vacations.

Upon talking with my little sister who would vacation with us, I eventually bought a $1 TUG resale TS for DRI Varsity Clubs at South Bend, EY, red floating week, with options to split into two stays of 3/4 days each. As I'm more detail-oriented, planner, and TS-engaged of the two, this TS is in my name only.

We are considering an EY Wyndham Canterbury (where my family is) and EY Williamsburg (semi-local). Wife and I love SF, and I love Williamsburg. However, we have to see how the little one responds to or likes traveling to/visiting SF or Williamsburg for a week.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Wife and I first bought and then rescinded a $4.5k TS at Massanutten Resort. Upon talking with my wife, Massanutten Resort is not the resort for us. We like to venture outside the resort for our vacations.

Upon talking with my little sister who would vacation with us, I eventually bought a $1 TUG resale TS for DRI Varsity Clubs at South Bend, EY, red floating week, with options to split into two stays of 3/4 days each. As I'm more detail-oriented, planner, and TS-engaged of the two, this TS is in my name only.

We are considering an EY Wyndham Canterbury (where my family is) and EY Williamsburg (semi-local). Wife and I love SF, and I love Williamsburg. However, we have to see how the little one responds to or likes traveling to/visiting SF or Williamsburg for a week.
Excellent. I just own in the Vistana program and so far it’s been working for me. If I picked up another I may do MVC but having two two bedroom lockouts I get enough exchanged in interval if need be. I did stay in a Breckenridge once. Excellent

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Excellent. I just own in the Vistana program and so far it’s been working for me. If I picked up another I may do MVC but having two two bedroom lockouts I get enough exchanged in interval if need be. I did stay in a Breckenridge once. Excellent

Chop999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind...as everyone else said. Follow instructions exactly and get a delivery confirmation. I didn’t buy a few times on the low $$ sales presentation trips and went into the last one and somehow walked out with a contract. ...it happens to be best of us. Thankful to have found TUG when I woke up that night with buyers remorse!!

Hullman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind...as everyone else said. Follow instructions exactly and get a delivery confirmation. I didn’t buy a few times on the low $$ sales presentation trips and went into the last one and somehow walked out with a contract. ...it happens to be best of us. Thankful to have found TUG when I woke up that night with buyers remorse!!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
No hook involved.

Take your time and research for just what you want. Getting a better price is a given :)

Cheers.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got notification that they rescission went through today. Now on the hook to buy resale as I told the wife I could do better on resale

Take your time. I took four weeks to buy Williamsburg Plantation. Even when I found one for $1 in which the buyer said closing and transfer fees, with TUG advice, I found a TS in which the skillet is covering such fees and giving me $250.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Just got notification that they rescission went through today. Now on the hook to buy resale as I told the wife I could do better on resale

Nice. Now it’s time to do a little research. I suggest taking a look at the great spreadsheet @GT75 created that looks at some of the best MF/point ratio. Remember, the MF’s don’t change by season or room designation, they go by room size. A 2 bedroom at The Flamingo will have the same MF’s if they are in the silver, gold or platinum season.

Good luck and don’t forget to ask any questions you may have!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

These are similar points to what you rescinded but a lot cheaper.
fdf5c272fde741d706c22d8380c1ee2c.jpg
5ea58cd3f5021415c74d59328c9a31a7.jpg
86015003175441a489570ca36b54c3c6.jpg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Eh, I would look at a platinum 2 bedroom in Vegas to start out with. The MF’s are generally much better. The Tuscany MF’s are kinda high compared to others.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Congrats on rescinding in time...We've never heard anyone say, "I regret researching this further. I should have bought that unit they offered us at the developer presentation!"

Last edited: