• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Brawl at Disneyland [merged]

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Says the person with Shank in their name???

Have a story?
Just kidding
My father had cousins, Jinx and Shanks. We heard how Jinx got his name, but never Shanks

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
What puzzled me was why the lady using the mobility scooter got off and got in the middle of the fracas, only to be knocked down and unable to get up without assistance.

That family puts the dis in functional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Security wanted no part of that mess until they had plenty of resources. The group that entered after about 3 minutes was smart to stay out of the fray as they would have been wilted down quickly. The big football players were certainly helpful in quelling the scum that was punching the woman, and the rest of them.
You see one security guard there for a while just watching not getting involved. She was smart because she would have been hurt, there should be actual police officers in the park. I think there are in Orlando.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
When I was in Orlando, I talked to a Florida trooper/highway patrolman that was standing by the entry gate (pre-metal detectors). I asked him how they kept people from conceal carrying into the park. He stated that they have "people trained to look for that" meaning undercovers/plain clothes officers/security supposedly all over the place. Even by myself I would have jumped in to separate them and stop the violence until more help arrived. However I have a lot of tools on my bat belt compared to 99% of security officers. A Most security officers in most locations are strictly a deterrent and have no right to detain let alone go hands on and arrest someone. If they do, hella lawsuits are possible. Just speaking from experience at places not Disney.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I only watched the first part of this, but the fact that it appears the woman spit in the guy’s face, and he slapped her, tells me this group has seen and done this sort of thing before. Don’t know the backstory, and it doesn’t matter. This sort of thing is way out of line, especially to use the stroller with a child to try and get in the middle of things. Inexcusable.

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I watched that video for the first time. I am shocked that Disneyland security took that long to get there. I think since this family was beating up on themselves that the delay isn’t being discussed so much but what if that guy was attacking strangers?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Cop story:
There was a couple in my town that lived in the crappiest apartments in town. We got called there for 7-8 domestics in the course of 6 months. I took the guy to jail when the girl broke his arm because he didn't show me that on scene and she had a black eye. Didn't get convicted.
I took the girl to jail while pregnant because he had bite marks all over him and she had no marks. Didn't get convicted.
We took them both to jail once and gave the kids to grandma and neither got convicted.
They finally split up but we'll never stop dealing with them because of the custody issue.....
I don't understand why people stay with each other when one or both are physically, mentally, or emotionally abusive.
But I agree with @DaveNW that these two are used to this kind of thing. What a pathetic norm. And the worst part is that neither they nor their kids will ever know that this is not an acceptable way to behave.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I watched that video for the first time. I am shocked that Disneyland security took that long to get there. I think since this family was beating up on themselves that the delay isn’t being discussed so much but what if that guy was attacking strangers?
This. Yes this video showcases a dysfunctional family however what if the guy started attacking random ppl. Are you telling me there isn’t security in a room watching the park?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Did I miss something? The whole video is 4 minutes 23 seconds, the lone security guard was there at minute two and the rest at minute 3. That seems like a pretty reasonable response time. What got me was all the looky loos. If you aren't there to help, standing there watching is incredibly stupid and a good way to get yourself injured or killed. The one woman is a very big woman and if she just got shoved into you or your child, well that's going to hurt at the very least. I don't care how good security is if I saw an incident taking place I would never trust that someone didn't have a knife or a gun. I'm outta there.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
People are afraid to get involved due to lawsuits and rather standby and record it. Which has it's values. However, I would not be able to stand by or run. Gun or knife, my family present or not, I'm the type of person that has to get involved and try to resolve the solution until a higher authority arrives. Inside ten yards, knife or gun I've got a really good chance of taking it from you before you can stab or pull the trigger. It's all about who acts first.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I felt badly for the lady on the scooter who got up to try to stop the fight. The man in pink referred to her as his Mama. She wound up on the ground at one point. Not a peaceful family to be a part of.

Sheila

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Cop story:
There was a couple in my town that lived in the crappiest apartments in town. We got called there for 7-8 domestics in the course of 6 months. I took the guy to jail when the girl broke his arm because he didn't show me that on scene and she had a black eye. Didn't get convicted.
I took the girl to jail while pregnant because he had bite marks all over him and she had no marks. Didn't get convicted.
We took them both to jail once and gave the kids to grandma and neither got convicted.
They finally split up but we'll never stop dealing with them because of the custody issue.....
I don't understand why people stay with each other when one or both are physically, mentally, or emotionally abusive.
But I agree with @DaveNW that these two are used to this kind of thing. What a pathetic norm. And the worst part is that neither they nor their kids will ever know that this is not an acceptable way to behave.

I grew up in an upper class home. My ex in a welfare type home
We never really got along. Her dad and brothers would beat the piss out of their GF/Wives
I had a job. New cars and a 4br home at 20
I think her problem was she didn’t know how to act in a normal relationship
She probably felt as out of place with me as I did around her family

You ever watch Chicago PD?
You need to take people like that out to the Silos

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
This was at Disneyland in California. Florida has its share of brawls, but don’t confuse Disneyland with Disneyworld.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awful ! Awful ! I pray that man in the red shirt was arrested and I pray he is barred from Disneyland and Disney World for Life. IMOP.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Made me recall new job, I was told there were twins in sophomore class. I am picturing one thing, and in walks two six ft three guys swearing at each other and trying to kick each other in the head. They mentioned their older brother who was real smart. I asked the brother why he had failed the class. He said they wanted him to buy books and he needed his money for drugs.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
What is it with Orlando ? This reminds me of the bunny suit guy, lol.

Bill

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in Orlando, I talked to a Florida trooper/highway patrolman that was standing by the entry gate (pre-metal detectors). I asked him how they kept people from conceal carrying into the park. He stated that they have "people trained to look for that" meaning undercovers/plain clothes officers/security supposedly all over the place.

A few years ago - my husband and daughter walked in while I went to bag check line at Magic Kingdom. He was approached very discreetly and pulled aside by a few plane clothes guys who immediately started to ask what he was carrying under his shirt, in his pockets, on his waist. Made him lift shirt and empty pockets. Nothing but his wallet. Their next question, they asked was he on the job, which he is. They all shook hands and went on our way.

Between his upper body muscle mass and years of wearing the vest and duty belt his arms simply don't fall against his side anymore - because they have that spread away from his body and his oversized t-shirt was untucked I understand why they checked him out.

I think an inside look at Disney behind the scenes security operations would be fascinating to get a glimpse of, especially what they do outside the park to ensure nothing gets inside the park the don't want.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Or a doctor

Could you imagine hearing Dr. Shank to the ER?

Probably better than what I heard while waiting in the ER 2 summers ago. I was so nauseous & in so much pain (brutal gall bladder attack) and over the PA DH & I hear Dr. Howard being paged. I said to DH if they also page Dr Fine, I'm outa here!! A lady a few years older than me was in stitches and the younger folk in the waiting room couldn't understand what DH & the woman were laughing about. Dated reference, I know!

~Diane

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Disney should change their slogan from “the happiest place on earth” to “bringing out the worst in families since 1955”

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad that this isn’t anything new. Have you watched parents duke it out at T-Ball games?

I’m not a big proponent of spankings but when that was outlawed then what would you expect would be the outcome?

Between my wife and I there are 7 kids. All gone except one and I think I’ve given less spankings than I can count on one hand.
But. I could look at anyone of them at 100 yds away ( not really 100 ) and if they were misbehaving they would immediately stop

When they would start acting up I would say “ you know, your older brother Donny used to do that exact same
thing “. They would be like what? We don’t have an older brother named Donny. Exactly!!

Yes, because violence and the threat of violence is *always* effective. *smh* All research points to the exact opposite--children that grow up with violence of any kind--including spankings--are *much more likely* to use violence to resolve conflicts and to use violence on their children and intimate partners that those who did not experience physical punishment growing up. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, because violence and the threat of violence is *always* effective. *smh* All research points to the exact opposite--children that grow up with violence of any kind--including spankings--are *much more likely* to use violence to resolve conflicts and to use violence on their children and intimate partners that those who did not experience physical punishment growing up. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking

This is a debate that will go on as long as there are children to raise.

Understand that there are many differences in how the terms used and influence perceptions of parental discipline. While not defending or condemning the use of corporal punishment, there those that feel by simply altering the verb used to describe the act of corporal punishment, it can have a substantial impact on how a parents reaction is perceived. There are some terms that have a tempering effect such as, "spanking" or "swatting", when compared with terms like, "hit", "slap" or "beat". I've had parents quote the Bible as guidance to how they raise their children.

Parents need to understand the concepts of punishment and discipline are complete and absolute opposites. Punishment is motivated by anger by some action of the child, and results in either compliance out of fear or perhaps rebellion with feelings of shame, guilt and/or hostility. Discipline is motivated by love for the child and focuses on the teaching, and results in obedience and feelings of security.

Parenting is not an easy job by any means. There is not one of us that do it perfectly. Children don't come with an instruction manual attached. I believe we need to raise our children to best of our ability, and provide them with all the knowledge, love and strength we can provide. Parents need firm and consistent hands with a soft and loving heart.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a debate that will go on as long as there are children to raise.

Understand that there are many differences in how the terms used and influence perceptions of parental discipline. While not defending or condemning the use of corporal punishment, there those that feel by simply altering the verb used to describe the act of corporal punishment, it can have a substantial impact on how a parents reaction is perceived. There are some terms that have a tempering effect such as, "spanking" or "swatting", when compared with terms like, "hit", "slap" or "beat". I've had parents quote the Bible as guidance to how they raise their children.

Parents need to understand the concepts of punishment and discipline are complete and absolute opposites. Punishment is motivated by anger by some action of the child, and results in either compliance out of fear or perhaps rebellion with feelings of shame, guilt and/or hostility. Discipline is motivated by love for the child and focuses on the teaching, and results in obedience and feelings of securit

Parenting is not an easy job by any means. There is not one of us that do it perfectly. Children don't come with an instruction manual attached. I believe we need to raise our children to best of our ability, and provide them with all the knowledge, love and strength we can provide. Parents need firm and consistent hands with a soft and loving heart.
I actually disagree w/you that this will be a debate as long as there are children to raise. I think eventually society as a whole will recognize the inappropriateness of hitting / striking / spanking (whatever you want to call it) a child and it will no longer be a "parenting style". I believe that spanked children who grow up to be well-behaved, functioning adults are that way DESPITE of their spanking , not because of it.