• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you Living in a Del Webb community?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you are living in a Del Webb community I would like to hear your reasons for moving into one and if you are happy and if it met your expectations.

My thought process is I hope to move to one to have a village of support and lots to do by participating in clubs and events.

Some think I am too young, that only people much older then me buy there. I am late 50’s, look and act younger but figure if I buy when one is being built versus a resale in an established one, the average age will be younger.

As long as I like someone and we have things in commons to do I don’t care what someones age is.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at and liked the Del Webb product before I bought into my CCRC. Note that I did this at age 65. FWIW the average age of move ins at my CCRC is 78. At your age I would definitely consider a Del Webb. The question is which one...

George

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For two years, we visited about a dozen retirement communities, in FL, GA, and SC.

We FINALLY decided on one, though we don't know if it'll be 2020, 2021, etc.

It IS a Del Webb---Bluffon, SC (just north of HH).

It is RIGHT for us (as well as what we have seen), though maybe it might not 'match' as much for others.

We tell those who ask "....we have decided WHERE we will be going, just not WHEN we will be going".

(It was quite a sigh of relief when we at least finally decided WHERE we were going.)

Pat

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think Moderator Karen G lives in a Del Webb community in the Las Vegas area. You might ask her.

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My in-laws lived in Del Webb twenty years, loved it.
We looked at a couple and liked them. They paired us up with owners to play golf. The man said: big prices, cheap houses.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The man said: big prices, cheap houses.
Just trying to parse this. Was he saying the houses were built cheaply, or were they inexpensive, but the monthly fees contributed to the "big prices"? Just curious.

Kurt

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
High cost for what you get. Pay big price, get cheap quality.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest looking at small college towns. They usually have lot's of good inexpensive restaurants, lot's of free stuff at the college and a vibrant and young vibe. Get a small house or townhouse and live close to activity. You may also look at resort communities that aren't just for seniors. Again, lots to do, plenty of variety, etc. .......Or go check out the Villages in Florida. I think there are about 125,000 residents.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We toured the Del Webb in Sun City, SC. It was nice, extremely reasonably priced by Denver housing standards, but there is no way I would move away from our now 5 grandbabies. They all live within 90 miles of our house. We really liked the big ranch with the loft.

After seeing how they install the dishwashers, I wish I had that in my house, dishwasher raised up with countertop higher than the rest, but we bought quartz countertops and paid $7,000 or so for them, so I am not about to change that, but I wish I could.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
We live in Sun City, Bluffton/Hilton Head. We bought in when my husband was 51 yo. Love it here! We are now mid 60’s. People in their 80’s can put us to shame. The weather is beautiful, no snow or ice. However we do occasionally get ice, it’s gone by 10AM. There is so much to do. If you are bored, it’s your own fault!

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I know a couple of people living in the HH Del Webb community and they both love it. One has been there for 15 years and says there are lots of activities, dinner groups, etc. Even though she is a widow she is never lonely.

JMHO:
Bluffton is a nice location that has come into its own with growth and better road access. The DW community is close to the 95 for easy access but you can still get to HH proper if you want the beaches, etc., there. Many of the popular HH restaurants have a second location in Bluffton. If you're Catholic the nearby church (St. Gregory the Great) is very large and vibrant.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Not in a dell community, but similar type in coastal NC. I’m Also in mid50s and on the younger side by 10 years. DH is 60. We Chose bc 6 hr drive to kids, house was very reasonable price, 4 golf courses, beach with private access and oceanfront pool, marina, lots of clubs, social, etc. I’d guess that at least 50% are from NE, with 25% from Va, MD, ohio.
With telework and more IT jobs, there are more people moving here closer to the barely 60 mark now.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not in a Del Webb community although one is being built right right now down our street. We have a ton of activities through a Sports and Social Club which only local residents in the community can be members of, at a price of $125 per month for a couple. I suspect the activities are at least as as rich as Del Webb's.

We have all sorts of scheduled group card games - Hand Knee and Foot, Bridge, Farkle and Mahjong, in which typically about 16-25 regularly show up. With the sports club part of the activities, there are many activities scheduled daily concurrently - Zumba, Yoga, stretching, water aerobics, pickle ball etc. We also have a happy hour on Fridays and holiday events including wine dinners etc. Most of the residents here are retirees and a good number are singles or widowed.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
A friend of mine moved to a Del Webb community in Ponte Vedra FL last year. She is pretty happy with the community although she notes that women residents greatly outnumber men:D. Lots of amenities and activities.

IMO the quality on the homes is less than I would expect for the price but it’s good quality construction and finishes, etc. Maybe I’m spoiled by the prices in the Midwest.

I personally would choose a non-retirement community since I enjoy all aspects of life and would feel somewhat hampered in a restricted community. To each their own:cool:

Cheers

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We live in Sun City, Bluffton/Hilton Head. We bought in when my husband was 51 yo. Love it here! We are now mid 60’s. People in their 80’s can put us to shame. The weather is beautiful, no snow or ice. However we do occasionally get ice, it’s gone by 10AM. There is so much to do. If you are bored, it’s your own fault!
If it was only my choice Bluffton is where I would choose. My other half feels it is too close to the water and potential storms.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seems the Del Webb community near me will not be an option as there are no home sites that my other half likes. They are at the last 20% and it seems the worst homesites were left for last. Rumour is another one in the area will be announced in a year or so.

I know they are building a new one a few hours away south of Raleigh. Might be something to check out.

Today we took a drive to Lake Wylie, NC. I saw an ad at the Palisades for a Toll Brothers 55+. Actually beautiful but it isn’t actually a 55+, it is geared towards that age. Similiar to Del Webb concept but smaller. Quality in my opinion much better. Beautiful looking area I don’t know much about. Will need to research.

Whatever community I have visited, if you want trees in your backyard, you are going to pay a huge premium. In the Del Webb cul de sac, the homesites that will open next will go to a closed bid, minimum $20,000. The last section, they went as high as $85,000. I looked at them, small more of junk de sac as water detention basis is in front of the trees. With Toll Brothers they were upfront, a larger level usable lot with trees $100,000. So the great prices advertised are a la cart prices.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We’ve lived in Sun City Anthem in Henderson, NV, for about six years. The community is about 20 years old now & there are about 7,000 houses in it.

We love living here and we also love our close proximity to Las Vegas. There is so much to do both in the community & in the surrounding area. We’re within 3-4 hours of national parks in Utah & Arizona & a little farther to California beaches. We don’t experience hurricanes, tornadoes, or widespread flooding, or high humidity.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Watch the movie Poms.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Would love to move to the one being built in Myrtle Beach but there are no medical facilities that can handle my equipment nearby. The closest would be 4 hours away and thats just a non starter. We pay for medivac air ins while on vacation but surely couldn’t afford it all the time.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
In February of this year I looked at Sun City Grand in Surprise AZ and I loved what I saw, it was a great community with a ton of activities...

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems the Del Webb community near me will not be an option as there are no home sites that my other half likes...

Watch for existing houses to come on market. Residents are older by definition and are more likely to move on to the great beyond. You may come across a good deal. Out of town heirs may want to sell quickly just to cash out...

George

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I know that this is my "soap box" issue, but just want to remind those considering coastal areas of this published today in The Post and Courier:

Coastal flooding is accelerating in Charleston and around the US, NOAA reports

https://www.postandcourier.com/hurricanewire/coastal-flooding-is-accelerating-in-charleston-and-around-the-us/article_2a45e406-9cfa-11e9-a913-4391aca2c1c7.html

"Authors of the report emphasized in a conference call with reporters that the flooding is already affecting daily life in coastal cities around the country and will only increase in frequency in the coming decades as sea level rise escalates."

and

"The estimate does not include flooding from tropical systems or sudden cloudbursts — other frequent sources of flooding in coastal South Carolina and elsewhere."

OK, stepping back down! :)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I visited the Del Webb website after reading so much about it here. Seems like a great concept for seniors and perfect for some. Never say "never," but after looking at the photos of the one, Nexton, being built near here at Summerville, SC, and a couple of others, I don't think they are for us. I've never liked the look of a home on a slab though I recognize the benefit for easy and safe access for seniors. I feel that they are overpriced but I guess one is also buying a lifestyle. It's good to read that so many are happy with their decision and lives living in one.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A friend of mine moved to a Del Webb community in Ponte Vedra FL last year. She is pretty happy with the community although she notes that women residents greatly outnumber men:D. Lots of amenities and activities....snip...Cheers

I've wondered about the lives and inclusion of single women in these communities. Are they frequently excluded from private socialization among residents being the odd ones out? Do they tend to form their own single groups? I know that community activity offerings would include both but just wonder how that pans out for friendships and inclusion apart from those.

Brett

Reaction score
I know that this is my "soap box" issue, but just want to remind those considering coastal areas of this published today in The Post and Courier:

Coastal flooding is accelerating in Charleston and around the US, NOAA reports

https://www.postandcourier.com/hurricanewire/coastal-flooding-is-accelerating-in-charleston-and-around-the-us/article_2a45e406-9cfa-11e9-a913-4391aca2c1c7.html

"Authors of the report emphasized in a conference call with reporters that the flooding is already affecting daily life in coastal cities around the country and will only increase in frequency in the coming decades as sea level rise escalates."

and

"The estimate does not include flooding from tropical systems or sudden cloudbursts — other frequent sources of flooding in coastal South Carolina and elsewhere."

OK, stepping back down! :)

I live just a couple of miles from the Chesapeake Bay. My house will be waterfront property ..... someday.