• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a resale from Marriott Vacation Club Directly?

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am the purchaser of GRCTahoe's quarter share at GRC. Since there were some questions about this bundled purchase, I just wanted to update everyone on the transaction now that it has closed.

After confirming the information provided by GRCTahoe with Marriott, I contracted to purchase the GRC quarter share for $65,755. As a side note, you must use one of the now three Marriott approved brokers in order to make the GRC quarter share eligible for enrollment. We decided to gross up the purchase prince by the closing costs (which the Seller paid) in order to better position the sale for success for ROFR. We were informed by escrow that Marriott originally exercised the ROFR, but Marriott sales reps apparently intervened as Marriott would have lost the enrolling purchase of St. Kitts - see below. Marriott then waived ROFR.

Enrolling purchase was Marriott's St. Kitts Platinum Plus-New Years, 2BR, EXT for $56,965.27 (inclusive of closing costs). Further, as noted above, we had to pay Marriott's $5,000 enrollment fee. Purchase also included 6,875 bonus Destination Points to be used over two-year period after closing. The entire process took over three months, mostly due to some very unresponsive persons at Marriott's end on the St. Kitt's purchase.

Average annual Destination Points for GRC quarter share is 32,875 and 5,650 for St. Kitts. So, all in, we purchased 38,525 Destination Points for a total purchase price of $127,720.7, or $3.32 per Destination Point. Annual maintenance fees and property taxes for GRC and St. Kitts is $11,498, or $0.30 per Destination Point.

Prior to this purchase, I had just over 10,000 Destination Points, including 3,000 Destination Points, and enrolled weeks in Canyon Villas, Custom House and Newport Coast (all resales or gift from family member). Average maintenance fees for the prior portfolio are approximately $0.60 per Destination Point.

I had always wondered why anyone would use Destination Points to book cruises, landtours, etc., as use of Destination Points would typically be more expensive than simply paying cash. With Destination Points at essentially one-half my current annual cost, and given 30% disocunts on bookings within 60 day window, adding these properties to the portfolio makes these options more cost-effective, albeit it many instances it may still be more cost-effective to rent the points and use the cash. In the alternative, playing off the concept noted by GRCTahoe, I can rent 20,000 points at $0.60 per Destination Point in order to cover all of the maintenance fees for this purchase and essentially have maintenance fee free access to the remaining 18,000 Destination Points per year.

By way of background, I am close to retirement and my wife and I are looking forward to making great use out of the program going forward. Further, really excited about the prospect of my children inheriting these properties from us (that is, no up front costs for them), and positioning them to have the opportunity to use as many as 18,000 Destination Points per year for no cost.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Hello. I am the purchaser of GRCTahoe's quarter share at GRC. Since there were some questions about this bundled purchase, I just wanted to update everyone on the transaction now that it has closed.

After confirming the information provided by GRCTahoe with Marriott, I contracted to purchase the GRC quarter share for $65,755. As a side note, you must use one of the now three Marriott approved brokers in order to make the GRC quarter share eligible for enrollment. We decided to gross up the purchase prince by the closing costs (which the Seller paid) in order to better position the sale for success for ROFR. We were informed by escrow that Marriott originally exercised the ROFR, but Marriott sales reps apparently intervened as Marriott would have lost the enrolling purchase of St. Kitts - see below. Marriott then waived ROFR.

Enrolling purchase was Marriott's St. Kitts Platinum Plus-New Years, 2BR, EXT for $56,965.27 (inclusive of closing costs). Further, as noted above, we had to pay Marriott's $5,000 enrollment fee. Purchase also included 6,875 bonus Destination Points to be used over two-year period after closing. The entire process took over three months, mostly due to some very unresponsive persons at Marriott's end on the St. Kitt's purchase.

Average annual Destination Points for GRC quarter share is 32,875 and 5,650 for St. Kitts. So, all in, we purchased 38,525 Destination Points for a total purchase price of $127,720.7, or $3.32 per Destination Point. Annual maintenance fees and property taxes for GRC and St. Kitts is $11,498, or $0.30 per Destination Point.

Prior to this purchase, I had just over 10,000 Destination Points, including 3,000 Destination Points, and enrolled weeks in Canyon Villas, Custom House and Newport Coast (all resales or gift from family member). Average maintenance fees for the prior portfolio are approximately $0.60 per Destination Point.

I had always wondered why anyone would use Destination Points to book cruises, landtours, etc., as use of Destination Points would typically be more expensive than simply paying cash. With Destination Points at essentially one-half my current annual cost, and given 30% disocunts on bookings within 60 day window, adding these properties to the portfolio makes these options more cost-effective, albeit it many instances it may still be more cost-effective to rent the points and use the cash. In the alternative, playing off the concept noted by GRCTahoe, I can rent 20,000 points at $0.60 per Destination Point in order to cover all of the maintenance fees for this purchase and essentially have maintenance fee free access to the remaining 18,000 Destination Points per year.

By way of background, I am close to retirement and my wife and I are looking forward to making great use out of the program going forward. Further, really excited about the prospect of my children inheriting these properties from us (that is, no up front costs for them), and positioning them to have the opportunity to use as many as 18,000 Destination Points per year for no cost.
This is like deja vu (all over again, per Yogi Berra.)

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club

Congrats on your purchase, sounds like a great retirement plan! Enjoy!

JGo80

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe
I'm interested in learning more about this quarter share purchase. Which brokers are approved by Marriott for enrolling the quarter share? Or how does one find these types of resales? Any information would be helpful.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding, and which you will need to confirm with Marriott, is that the approved brokers are Paradise Timeshare Resales, Century 21 at Tahoe Paradise and GRCTahoe (the Seller of my quarter share). The first two have online listings of their resales. You could also Google GRC Tahoe resales and find other listings. If a listing is a for sale by owner, you could, as a condition of the sale, have them sell though an authorized broker.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm sure you know what you are doing so more power to you but the details are mighty confusing and above my pay grade...

George

Last edited: