• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott/Vistana overlay

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The more speculation I hear and the more I hear about the money hungry Marriott umbrella the more I’m aggravated we were bought out by them. If I could go back, I would never have started down this path..... but that’s what happens when you fall in love with a place.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I agree with Danny here - have a close look at the Marriott DC Point Charts. MVC has absolutely no problem putting measurable differences in point value on resorts in the same geographic area that don't offer the same level of amenities. The Westin Cancun rooms are substantially smaller and I think the facilities and location are not as nice as Laguanamar. The fact that SVN allocated them the same amount of points is inconsequential. The real question to me is how MVC will see Cancun overall. Most felt they slighted the rest of the Caribbean resorts DC Point values compared to (perceived) actual demand.

Also consider SKR vs WPV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, we were previously discussing the lack of developer Lagunamar inventory and whether they will need to "pay up" for Lagunamar in the form of a higher-than-otherwise point value to get owners to move over. I don't think they will, because they will view the Westin Cancun as a reasonable substitute.

This was exactly my point though - when they created the DC points program they didn't seem to designate points based on any need to "pay up" to encourage owners of certain (non-trust) resorts to participate - they did this purely on demand and resort amenities. Your Aruba example proves it....they knew Aruba would not be added to the trust and yet they priced the points according to what they thought general demand would be (which in many people's opinion was too low...and certainly no premium to encourage participation by owner of this this non-trust resort).

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was exactly my point though - when they created the DC points program they didn't seem to designate points based on any need to "pay up" to encourage owners of certain (non-trust) resorts to participate - they did this purely on demand and resort amenities. Your Aruba example proves it....they knew Aruba would not be added to the trust and yet they priced the points according to what they thought general demand would be (which in many people's opinion was too low...and certainly no premium to encourage participation by owner of this this non-trust resort).

I think we're all agreed...
:)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
also at Lagunamar, i am curious if they are going to offer more points for the Oceanside weeks. Now that I own both Oceanside an Oceanview, why would I deposit Oceanside if not given more points than for Oceanview?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC should hurry and announce the program ASAP before the first casualties (including myself); I anticipate people dying "en masse" from an aggravated form of curiosity.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
MVC should hurry and announce the program ASAP before the first casualties (including myself); I anticipate people dying "en masse" from an aggravated form of curiosity.

Yes, I agree! :wall:Me included!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Also consider SKR vs WPV...

You can;t buy SKR Resale but you can buy WPV resale. SKR all garden view. They may reallocate WPV to have ocean view with DPs. Actually, this would be a strategic was to go since there is only island designation now but there are ocean views. I would like this even thought I just bought an IV week 52 bc I prefer reserving an ocean view. Hence this would encourage me to enroll my week and lose the week 52. But hopefully a week 52 will get extra DPs too since week 52 comes with high DPs,

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You can;t buy SKR Resale but you can buy WPV resale. SKR all garden view. They may reallocate WPV to have ocean view with DPs. Actually, this would be a strategic was to go since there is only island designation now but there are ocean views. I would like this even thought I just bought an IV week 52 bc I prefer reserving an ocean view. Hence this would encourage me to enroll my week and lose the week 52. But hopefully a week 52 will get extra DPs too since week 52 comes with high DPs,

My comment was regarding point requirements, not purchase options.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My comment was regarding point requirements, not purchase options.

Good point. Can you elaborate more on the difference for point allocations.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Are they selling SKR at all yet? I think given no SKR inventory was sold pre-merger, that might give a big clue what they plan to do going forward.

If they deposit SKR into the DC trust and sell that there, probably that means they'll go for a full conversion.

If they add it to Sheraton Flex that probably means they'll keep things mostly separate and do an exchange program of some kind.

Dioxide made the great point in another tread that them putting unsold Nanea inventory in Westin Flex probably means they intend to keep offering that product.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Are they selling SKR at all yet? I think given no SKR inventory was sold pre-merger, that might give a big clue what they plan to do going forward.

If they deposit SKR into the DC trust and sell that there, probably that means they'll go for a full conversion.

If they add it to Sheraton Flex that probably means they'll keep things mostly separate and do an exchange program of some kind.

Dioxide made the great point in another tread that them putting unsold Nanea inventory in Westin Flex probably means they intend to keep offering that product.

I don’t think they will do away with the programs. They can easily run both (all) side by side and have a “buy in” to book affiliate resorts through some sort of exchange. Then charge and exchange fee for each booking. You may be able to buy flex if you visit a Marriott sales presentation. We shall see

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they will do away with the programs. They can easily run both (all) side by side and have a “buy in” to book affiliate resorts through some sort of exchange. Then charge and exchange fee for each booking. You may be able to buy flex if you visit a Marriott sales presentation. We shall see

Oh, they'll definitely need to keep running the various programs they already have. I'm just saying what they are selling at SKR might give us a hint of their go forward plans.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Oh, they'll definitely need to keep running the various programs they already have. I'm just saying what they are selling at SKR might give us a hint of their go forward plans.
I think having multiple programs allows for more options for customers to buy into. I hope for a dedicated exchange platform, and they cam sell Destination Points to Vistana owners at these updates and on the reverse, sell Flex to MVC owners.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I wonder if they will change how VSN exchanges are handled as well. Marriott gets to chose their best week to use for exchange. VSN does a mass dump of lowest weeks. It may be a moot point now that Marriott also owns II, but curious if there will be changes.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I wonder if they will change how VSN exchanges are handled as well. Marriott gets to chose their best week to use for exchange. VSN does a mass dump of lowest weeks. It may be a moot point now that Marriott also owns II, but curious if there will be changes.

Hmm, I’ve actually never exchanged a week in II. Always used my star options for 20 years. I hope they never do away with VSN.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I own non mandatory so I wonder if they will change the program.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Hmm, I’ve actually never exchanged a week in II. Always used my star options for 20 years. I hope they never do away with VSN.

I’ve used II regularly. In last 2 years in the row, I used my small SBP 1 bedroom with MF $426 traded for Nanea 2 bedrooms. Try it you will like it and it’s free with your SVN membership, just pay exchange fee.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’ve used II regularly. In last 2 years in the row, I used my small SBP 1 bedroom with MF $426 traded for Nanea 2 bedrooms. Try it you will like it and it’s free with your SVN membership, just pay exchange fee.
Wow. You got that with that? Lol. Maybe I should get into a cheap voluntary with a really low MF for exchanging

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Wow. You got that with that? Lol. Maybe I should get into a cheap voluntary with a really low MF for exchanging

Yes you can also do the same exchange game with Marriott week. Once I used Marriott Willow Ridge studio traded for 3 bedrooms St Thomas few years back. II is great if you are patient enough, however YMMV.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes you can also do the same exchange game with Marriott week. Once I used Marriott Willow Ridge studio traded for 3 bedrooms St Thomas few years back. II is great if you are patient enough, however YMMV.
I’d say I don’t own Marriott. But I guess I apparently do now haha.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think having multiple programs allows for more options for customers to buy into. I hope for a dedicated exchange platform, and they cam sell Destination Points to Vistana owners at these updates and on the reverse, sell Flex to MVC owners.
I do think they will keep Westin Flex and Sheraton Flex. I even mentioned in the thread on the Marriott board that they could possibly rename the Marriott Destinations Trust Points program to Marriott Flex. Then allow some type of cross booking between the three and not providing cross bookings for weeks owners.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I do think they will keep Westin Flex and Sheraton Flex. I even mentioned in the thread on the Marriott board that they could possibly rename the Marriott Destinations Trust Points program to Marriott Flex. Then allow some type of cross booking between the three and not providing cross bookings for weeks owners.
Good point. Make us give our deeds back and buy into flex? I think I’ll keep my VSN booking instead. Isn’t Westin flex a higher price than Sheraton flex?

Has there ever been a situation in history where two huge timeshare companies combined?