• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need ideas for booking airfare to Europe

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another hint for those in the West going to Europe, we like to choose one with a plane change in Chicago or NYC that leaves mid-evening. You have time for a fairly leisurely transfer, board. The flight takes off, they feed you, get a glass of wine and tuck in for some sleep and wake up for breakfast (snack) over Europe before landing. You are pretty much able to do some activity. Stay up as long as possible and that pretty much takes care of our jet lag. 1st day Hop on hop off works well if you don't know the destination city. I don't like to land in Europe and have to change airlines to a final destination city when suffering an overnight flight. YMMV.

Jim

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I'd have spent more than $900 in fees, plus the extra spending required to get back to that $1000 (cash) ticket price. So it sounds kind of like a wash, unless I misunderstand things.
CSR comes with a $300 travel credit per year - any kind of travel - so that knocks the $450 card fee per year down to $150. Priority Pass for lounges comes in handy in some airports, and in a few others that don't have a lounge, you can eat $30 pp in specified restaurants. If you don't have Global Entry, they'll credit you the application fee for that. CSR also has better travel insurance for things booked using their card than most others.

Edited to add that CSR also give you 3 points per dollar spent on travel, so that can add up well too.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
When we went to Italy several years ago, I got flights out of Vancouver BC cause I held off too long on getting flights from Seattle. Even with parking for 2 weeks, it was still a $500 savings. We didn't have any problems or delays with customs or border crossing on our return.

Our first trip to Europe 15 yrs ago, we went to Athens. I got a really good RT airfare to London (Gatwick). And separate flights on low cost carrier Easy Jet to Athens & Mytilini.
I would recommend spending a night at London airports going and coming.
I wouldn't recommend going thru Heathrow; the immigration line was horrendous.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
CSR comes with a $300 travel credit per year - any kind of travel - so that knocks the $450 card fee per year down to $150. Priority Pass for lounges comes in handy in some airports, and in a few others that don't have a lounge, you can eat $30 pp in specified restaurants. If you don't have Global Entry, they'll credit you the application fee for that. CSR also has better travel insurance for things booked using their card than most others.

Edited to add that CSR also give you 3 points per dollar spent on travel, so that can add up well too.

DaveNW you could alternately get Nexus for 2 of you for the amount which CSR will credit. Nexus will give you expedited border crossing access, and Global Entry + TSA pre-check. You do have to go for an interview though with both Canadian and US agents. Highly recommend if you do want to get Nexus that you interview up in Blaine.

The lounge access is a plus. Haven't used it for international travel; mostly for domestic, and DH prefers going to the lounge even if it is a bit of a walk.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DaveNW you could alternately get Nexus for 2 of you for the amount which CSR will credit. Nexus will give you expedited border crossing access, and Global Entry + TSA pre-check. You do have to go for an interview though with both Canadian and US agents. Highly recommend if you do want to get Nexus that you interview up in Blaine.

The lounge access is a plus. Haven't used it for international travel; mostly for domestic, and DH prefers going to the lounge even if it is a bit of a walk.

We both already have Nexus. :thumbup: One perk of living within driving distance of the Border. We haven't yet used the Global Entry part of things, but we've used the TSA PreCheck domestically several times.

Dave

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Several years ago, we flew Condor to Frankfurt, spent two nights at a nearby wine festival,
and then flew another to Santorini. From there, we used ferries to explore the islands.

Condor is like most LCC's, with uncomfortable seats. Bring a stadium set cushion.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The last time I went to Europe, I used https://www.vayama.com/ to buy my tickets. The tickets were less expensive than the carriers that I usually use.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
As someone mentioned before, Google Flights and Sky Scanner as well are your friends. Those are to the first sites I go to when looking for flights. You might want to subscribe Scott's Cheap Flights also. My daughter just flew from South Africa to Vietnam for about $300.00 using this.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
The cruise line we're looking at is the Star Clipper cruises. Smaller ships, and only a few hundred passengers. Their 10/11 day sailings in the Eastern Med just look amazing, especially if combined with a land trip around Italy. Being an old salt, cruising at this level seems like I'd like it a whole stinking lot. :D

https://www.starclippers.com/us-dom/

Dave

When we cruised the Greek Islands on a large cruise ship, we had to be tendered to most of the islands. I spotted a Windstar sailing ship anchored very close to the shore at Santorini and noted that if I ever traveled there again, it would be aboard a small ship! That looks cool! I just wonder how they get those beds that are up against wall made! :shrug:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When we cruised the Greek Islands on a large cruise ship, we had to be tendered to most of the islands. I spotted a Windstar sailing ship anchored very close to the shore at Santorini and noted that if I ever traveled there again, it would be aboard a small ship! That looks cool! I just wonder how they get those beds that are up against wall made! :shrug:

I agree, the smaller ships seem more my style. We've done three cruises on big "ocean liner" ships now, and they're nice, but I'm not so interested in cruising with 2500 of my closest friends. 200? Definitely more my style. :)

Windstar is definitely on the radar, https://www.windstarcruises.com
as is Island Windjammers http://www.islandwindjammers.com
and Sail Windjammer, the holdover company and owner of the old Mandalay, former flagship of the Barefoot Windjammer cruises back in the day. https://sailwindjammer.com

I'm sure they have the stateroom staff trained in how to make up a bunk like that. I remember from my Navy days that if you push the edge of the bedding that goes along the wall into a pile on that side of the mattress, then slide the mattress out a bit, it can be flipped out enough that the bedding tucks itself under along the back edge. Slips the mattress back into the frame that holds it in place, and straighten out the front. They likely do it differently, but something like that. I'm sure.

Dave

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
From the West Coast we usually stop in NYC on the way to Europe for a few days to acclimate to the time zone. (we stay at our NYC timeshare to layover but you can also book a hotel on points). Often you can get very inexpensive flights from NYC to Europe round trip if you unbundle and take SWA or AK to/from NYC. UAL has a hub out of EWR for european flights.

One of the most cost effective flights is Emirates out of JFK to Milan or Athens. They recently ran a special round trip for about $400 and often run a special in the spring of 2 for $899 around valentines day. You can ask to upgrade to business class lie flats for a few hundred dollars more pp if you ask for availability on the day of the flight. They fly 2 story A38s out of JFK so many business class seats available. Emirates also flies out of other US locations so prices may be good also.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
From the West Coast we usually stop in NYC on the way to Europe for a few days to acclimate to the time zone. (we stay at our NYC timeshare to layover but you can also book a hotel on points). Often you can get very inexpensive flights from NYC to Europe round trip if you unbundle and take SWA or AK to/from NYC. UAL has a hub out of EWR for european flights.

I only learned a few years ago that flight times from Chicago is very similar to Europe as flying from the NE. Flying time to Dublin from Chicago was just 6 hrs 10 min, and 6 hrs Boston. When you consider the flight path it makes sense, so don’t assume going to NYC makes the most sense when not considering other criteria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I agree, the smaller ships seem more my style. We've done three cruises on big "ocean liner" ships now, and they're nice, but I'm not so interested in cruising with 2500 of my closest friends. 200? Definitely more my style. :)

Windstar is definitely on the radar, https://www.windstarcruises.com
as is Island Windjammers http://www.islandwindjammers.com
and Sail Windjammer, the holdover company and owner of the old Mandalay, former flagship of the Barefoot Windjammer cruises back in the day. https://sailwindjammer.com

I'm sure they have the stateroom staff trained in how to make up a bunk like that. I remember from my Navy days that if you push the edge of the bedding that goes along the wall into a pile on that side of the mattress, then slide the mattress out a bit, it can be flipped out enough that the bedding tucks itself under along the back edge. Slips the mattress back into the frame that holds it in place, and straighten out the front. They likely do it differently, but something like that. I'm sure.

Dave

Good to know about making up beds/berths/bunks. The problem is, I'd be the one who would be made to sleep against the wall just as on The Orient Express, I had to take the top bunk. grrrrr....
Will check out your links. Thanks!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I only learned a few years ago that flight times from Chicago is very similar to Europe as flying from the NE. Flying time to Dublin from Chicago was just 6 hrs 10 min, and 6 hrs Boston. When you consider the flight path it makes sense, so don’t assume going to NYC makes the most sense when not considering other criteria.

Sure flight times may be slightly less. I am referring to adapting to the time zone going east. Spending a few days in NYC makes the 8 hour transition from Pacific time only a 5 hour transition across the Atlantic so we are less fatigued when we arrive.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sure flight times may be slightly less. I am referring to adapting to the time zone going east. Spending a few days in NYC makes the 8 hour transition from Pacific time only a 5 hour transition across the Atlantic so we are less fatigued when we arrive.

Sure, by one hour.

My point is that if you are originating on the west coast a shorter flight to Chicago with a similar fight time to Europe makes the time on a plane less. I imagine it’s even less if considering Toronto.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sure, by one hour.

My point is that if you are originating on the west coast a shorter flight to Chicago with a similar fight time to Europe makes the time on a plane less. I imagine it’s even less if considering Toronto.

Got it. Actually direct from SFO goes right over the pole and may still be similar time flight-wise.

Hmmm might be worth looking at a layover in Chicago at the new HGVC Miracle Mile property for a few days to adjust. Chicago gets 2 hour time zone vs. 3 in NYC from Calif but still helps to close the jet lag gap.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Got it. Actually direct from SFO goes right over the pole and may still be similar time flight-wise.

Hmmm might be worth looking at a layover in Chicago at the new HGVC Miracle Mile property for a few days to adjust. Chicago gets 2 hour time zone vs. 3 in NYC from Calif but still helps to close the jet lag gap.

Yes. Nonstops will always be the shortest total flight time. I just find them too long from LA to Europe in coach, so have learned to stop somewhere...anywhere...overnight in order to make the flight palatable.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done those loong hauls, but anymore, we prefer to break them up. Even a couple hours off a plane, a walk-in sit down meal and do it again beats being cooped up for 12+ hours. Personal preference. Oh, and after a couple of blood clots and pulmonary embolism episodes, I've learned my body doesn't like 'em either.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out flystein.com.

I used this to book my trip to Japan. Well worth it!!!!!! This guy is an airline expert and knows all of the tricks.