• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott’s Waikoloa Ocean Club

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have any weeks owners exchanged into Marriott’s Waikoloa Ocean Club on the Big Island through Interval International?

Happy Travels!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wow - not a single response. I guess not! FWIW, I added that resort to my list of places to try to exchange into, the the II person said that's a very difficult trade. But is it even possible?

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did see exchange options in II a few times when they opened and once or twice at the last minute within a week or 2 of check-in date.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think I've seen someone's post who said they got in on II or maybe have seen an email that it was seen on the Sightings board, but given that there are no owners at that resort, the only II deposits will be whatever Marriott decides they want to give to II. I would think they would prefer to make more inventory available to the Destination Club for points reservations and will keep most of those weeks in the Trust. They may also rent some for cash rentals. I would think depositing to II would be their third option unless it is last minutes cancellations that they are trying to fill a unit.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this resort was never sold as "weeks" and only as destination points - it is supposed to be "impossible" to exchange into through II (according to sales reps). When I called sales reps on "impossible" they backed it down to "almost impossible" to exchange into through II. We'll see. Thanks everyone. :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Since this resort was never sold as "weeks" and only as destination points - it is supposed to be "impossible" to exchange into through II (according to sales reps). When I called sales reps on "impossible" they backed it down to "almost impossible" to exchange into through II. We'll see. Thanks everyone. :)
That's probably one of the most truthful things you'll ever hear from a salesperson. :D

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They had weeks for December 2018, but I was already going to Ko Olina last year.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
They had weeks for December 2018, but I was already going to Ko Olina last year.
How far prior to Dec. 2018 did you see those weeks? I know I would need some advance time to plan and book airfare, etc. A 60-day window wouldn't work for me.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

That's probably one of the most truthful things you'll ever hear from a salesperson. :D

I agree. At every single addition to the DC portfolio since its inception, intervals from those properties have been made available via II. However they determine how much/which inventory they make available is unknown so specific intervals might be scarce, but to date none of the MVW property that's come online since the DC inception has been specifically excluded from the II pool.

There are far too many sales reps who use this notion as a threat to stimulate DC Points sales. It's important to push back against it every single time it pops up.

nycjimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Manor Club Sequel, Marriott Summit Watch
I trade into the resort in August 2018. I was told that this never happens, and the only reason that I got in was due to the volcano activity on the other side of the island.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I trade into the resort in August 2018. I was told that this never happens, and the only reason that I got in was due to the volcano activity on the other side of the island.
If I had a free week for every time I've been told by a sales rep it was impossible to trade to that location, I wouldn't have time to use my timeshares EVER. If it was at a presentation, it's a sales tactic they often use. But it is a newer resort and being points only it may be less available though the BI tends to have more availability than some of the other islands in general.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If I had a free week for every time I've been told by a sales rep it was impossible to trade to that location, I wouldn't have time to use my timeshares EVER. If it was at a presentation, it's a sales tactic they often use. But it is a newer resort and being points only it may be less available though the BI tends to have more availability than some of the other islands in general.

The point is (no pun intended), since Waikoloa is an all-points resort, MVC controls all of the inventory, so the only inventory that will go to II will be the inventory MVC wants to give to II versus using for rentals or making it available to the DC Trust.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The point is (no pun intended), since Waikoloa is an all-points resort, MVC controls all of the inventory, so the only inventory that will go to II will be the inventory MVC wants to give to II versus using for rentals or making it available to the DC Trust.
Of course but Marriott deposits units all the time and the BI is statistically less demand in general than other HI resorts. My guess is that the contract with II (they are still legally separate) would lend itself to at least some deposits there. Plus every time there is a trade using points they are required to replace with a week (or similar) from the points inventory into II. My guess is there's also some requirement that it be a comparable week.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Of course but Marriott deposits units all the time and the BI is statistically less demand in general than other HI resorts. My guess is that the contract with II (they are still legally separate) would lend itself to at least some deposits there. Plus every time there is a trade using points they are required to replace with a week (or similar) from the points inventory into II. My guess is there's also some requirement that it be a comparable week.
Exactly. Think about how many Marriott controlled weeks are deposited all year, as in all the BULK BANK sightings, and probably a super majority of all Marriotts on the sightings board. They trade these in and out, to balance inventory and satisfy waitlists and other demand from DC points people for resorts that have very little trust inventory.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Exactly. Think about how many Marriott controlled weeks are deposited all year, as in all the BULK BANK sightings, and probably a super majority of all Marriotts on the sightings board. They trade these in and out, to balance inventory and satisfy waitlists and other demand from DC points people for resorts that have very little trust inventory.

No question there is/will be II inventory for Waikoloa. I just think it is probably accurate to say that the inventory there will be more limited than at resorts where there are also owner deposits.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No question there is/will be II inventory for Waikoloa. I just think it is probably accurate to say that the inventory there will be more limited than at resorts where there are also owner deposits.
I think it depends on what you compare it to. Compared to Maui and Waiohai you'll likely see more over time but compared to Ko Olina or KBC, likely less. Obviously some times will be deposited a lot less than others as in any higher demand property. In my mind I'd compare it to Crystal Shores (mostly trust, owners don't normally deposit) and I suspect there will be a higher % of deposits there than at CS but it's all relative.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Interesting info. I have an OGS set up for next summer at this resort using MGC 1 BR. Let's see if it will match. My back up plan is to reserve at the HGVC locations as they can be cancelled for a low cost.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think it depends on what you compare it to. Compared to Maui and Waiohai you'll likely see more over time but compared to Ko Olina or KBC, likely less. Obviously some times will be deposited a lot less than others as in any higher demand property. In my mind I'd compare it to Crystal Shores (mostly trust, owners don't normally deposit) and I suspect there will be a higher % of deposits there than at CS but it's all relative.

Crystal Shores is probably a good comparison, but my understanding has always been that Crystal Shores is also a difficult II trade for the same reason - lack of significant owner deposits. I think MVC will prioritize allocating inventory to the DC over II since the DC is what they sell now. If DC owners don’t grab their allocation, maybe they may bulk bank late some more to II.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Crystal Shores is probably a good comparison, but my understanding has always been that Crystal Shores is also a difficult II trade for the same reason - lack of significant owner deposits. I think MVC will prioritize allocating inventory to the DC over II since the DC is what they sell now. If DC owners don’t grab their allocation, maybe they may bulk bank late some more to II.
My answer was relatively speaking to other similar resorts and HI but I think it will have more deposits on a % basis by far than CS. We'll see.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My answer was relatively speaking to other similar resorts and HI but I think it will have more deposits on a % basis by far than CS. We'll see.

Why? Why would they want to deposit more from Waikoloa than Crystal Shores?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why? Why would they want to deposit more from Waikoloa than Crystal Shores?
It comes down to my thought that the relative demand will be comparatively less.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It comes down to my thought that the relative demand will be comparatively less.

Another factor could be the size of the property. Waikoloa has only 112 units, whereas Crystal Shores has 219. So even if Waikoloa has more % of deposits, the absolute total could be significantly less.

Either way, while I think the sales spin that says "You can't use II to get to Waikoloa (or Crystal Shores)" is hyperbole, I do think the lack of owner deposits will make both of those difficult in II until MVC is confident they will have excess inventory over an above the demand from the DC, which may be just a few months out. In my opinion, I would think anyone trying to use II to get into these properties probably should come prepared with a healthy dose of patience.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another factor could be the size of the property. Waikoloa has only 112 units, whereas Crystal Shores has 219. So even if Waikoloa has more % of deposits, the absolute total could be significantly less.

Either way, while I think the sales spin that says "You can't use II to get to Waikoloa (or Crystal Shores)" is hyperbole, I do think the lack of owner deposits will make both of those difficult in II until MVC is confident they will have excess inventory over an above the demand from the DC, which may be just a few months out. In my opinion, I would think anyone trying to use II to get into these properties probably should come prepared with a healthy dose of patience.
One thing I've notice historically with HI, that has seemed a little less true the last year or two, is that owners in HI don't use their ownership on a % basis for high demand options nearly as much as on the mainland likely because of time, distance and airfare. I know often they rent but even trading into Maui hasn't been difficult for me and Ko Olina has been easy but it is considerably larger. I think at one point it was 50/50 for Ko Olina.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
One thing I've notice historically with HI, that has seemed a little less true the last year or two, is that owners in HI don't use their ownership on a % basis for high demand options nearly as much as on the mainland likely because of time, distance and airfare. I know often they rent but even trading into Maui hasn't been difficult for me and Ko Olina has been easy but it is considerably larger. I think at one point it was 50/50 for Ko Olina.

Makes sense, although since I would personally never deposit a Hawaii week in II unless it was an emergency, I'm admittedly not a totally objective observer of what others might do. Your thoughts are probably better attuned to what others might be inclined to do.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, although since I would personally never deposit a Hawaii week in II unless it was an emergency, I'm admittedly not a totally objective observer of what others might do. Your thoughts are probably better attuned to what others might be inclined to do.
Or more likely it's like many things back in the day when you could argue about it for a few days now you can look most of those things up on the internet.