• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rain is causing roaches to come into the units at SBP, so much so that roaches are in the beds

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have guests staying there this week. It's a big dance competition, and there are at least 18 families (only two families are my guests) that are vacating SBP for the roaches, which are even in the kids' beds. It's disgusting.

Downpours mean these bugs are making their way into the units when their homes outside are getting flooded.

Is this just a Vistana problem? Did they not spray well enough before the rain?

Talking to the front desk, they are doing everything they can to take care of the problem.

What would you do, if you were in a resort and the rain caused bugs to come into your unit? Would you just say what I see TUG members say all of the time, "It's a tropical climate, so an occasional bug will be in your unit." What if there are 100's of bugs in your unit, and it becomes a nightmare?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'd stay just long enough to take pics, high-tail it out of there, and fight with corporate Marriott (since Vistana is under the MVW umbrella) for a refund. No offer worth less than being able to book an equivalent stay at a comparable resort within a year of winning the fight would be acceptable.

In this case have the guests rented from you? If that's the case I'd refund their money and demand from Marriott that in addition to replacing the loss of your week, they make you whole cash-wise.

Yuck!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, Sue, this is what I am thinking. I would take a reimbursement of fees and give the people full refunds. I wonder if this is a problem everywhere in Myrtle Beach right now. I wonder how the hotels are handling it, if it is indeed not a maintenance issue.

Eighteen families are moving out of the resort, so it's not just a few complainers. Eighteen families that I know about.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Oh no, that's terrible. My family loves SBP- I hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence.
Do you know if it's only on the 1st floor? or is it everywhere? is it in certain buildings or all?

We're always careful not to let bugs in- if possible (but this seems like a bigger issue). I always have to remind my kids to shut the doors. Also, you can carry bugs in your bags coming back from the pool or beach. I always shake things out before bringing bags back in the villa.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We checked into a ground floor condo in Kehei after 8 pm and upon arrival every thing looked great. Went to dinner and the store and was back by 10 pm. Turned on the tv and noticed a spot on the screen. It was a roach. It got away. A few minutes later there was a roach on the coffee table that also got away. Turned the lights on in the kitchen and there were a few roaches running around. My wife was in bed by now and I joined her. Later that night she felt something on her face. We didn't actually see it but thought it was a roach. The next morning we saw roaches in all of the rooms except the bathroom. Most were small but a few were large. We have had roaches in a few of our Hawaii stays but this was an infestation that required a few days of bug bombs, sprays and air out. The condo was nice with the exception of the roach problem.

I called the main number for our membership and told them we are leaving. We didn't know where to yet and lucky for us someone cancelled a WM reservation in Kehei and we ended up in a very clean, roach free unit with a partial ocean view. VI gave us our credits back but since they were to expire in a few month I had to make a reservation and deposit that week. I ended up depositing that week with RCI.

I would rather find roaches than bed bugs, lol.

Bill

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yuck! Sounds like a nightmare. We had roaches at Ko Olina (but not in bed). Spraying disrupted our stay and there were no decent rooms to move us to so we were exposed to pesticides.

Were you in a ground floor unit? We now avoid ground floor units because of the Ko Olina experience.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have seem roaches at timeshares and hotels, even a high end spa resort, mostly in hot climates. But only one at a time, the most one a day in a three day span. If I saw a few in one day I would be out of there.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The pictures one guest sent would send me packing. Many roaches at once.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kellie, manager at the resort, said that the roaches come in from the woods during heavy rains. I know no one wants to get rid of the woodlands around the resort because that is part of what makes the place so beautiful.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would expect refund of fees, usually they give interval replacement weeks.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they Palmetto bugs (Americans cockroaches / large bugs found in SC, FL) or German cockroaches (brown and small found in the kitchen Area & unsanitary areas ).

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They do look like palmetto bugs. Rick has pictures sent to his phone by both guests.

There is also a huge pink stain on the carpet in the bedroom (probably about a foot in diameter), other stains on carpet, furniture, drapes, and even on the comforter. That is pretty gross.

Some people find a lot of reasons to complain, but if those pictures are really from one unit, and not a combination of pictures from several units, since there are 18 dance families staying at the resort, then that can be construed as pretty negligent housekeeping.

I know when we were there early June, we had a two bedroom lockoff unit, and the small lockoff smelled like bleach, something they did fix as best as they could, but I didn't see any stains that were unusual. Our daughter's first unit was pretty bad in a Palmetto building, and they moved her to a much nicer unit. It had a lot of stains, and even the second unit had some stains on the carpet.

I am used to staying in our own unit on Maui (which is always spotless and we have never seen a single roach), and then mostly Marriott units. I feel blessed to get great exchanges into Marriott resorts. I never have problems. Not ever.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just some thoughts from my time spent in Florida.

It's possible for Palmetto bugs to bring their own health risks. The vial creatures prefer unsanitary conditions and with that comes salmonella of course. Remember, they can contaminate any food they get into. If there's any question, toss it. You may find feces, as well as their sheddings. These may lead asthma attacks or some allergic reaction. Keep in mind they may also bite. Just a small skin reaction, but none the less.

Not a good place to stay.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guests are requiring full refunds. These guests have been moved 2-3 times (one twice and the other three times). Vistana is offering me 4 nights back for one 2 bedroom unit, and I don't have SO's, so that makes no sense to me. I want my weeks back, and I am happy to deposit them into II.

So apparently, within 60 days, you can book 3-4 nights at a time at SBP. That is shocking to me. I have never been told I can book 3-4 nights at any point. What is the deal?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
My guests are requiring full refunds. These guests have been moved 2-3 times (one twice and the other three times). Vistana is offering me 4 nights back for one 2 bedroom unit, and I don't have SO's, so that makes no sense to me. I want my weeks back, and I am happy to deposit them into II.

So apparently, within 60 days, you can book 3-4 nights at a time at SBP. That is shocking to me. I have never been told I can book 3-4 nights at any point. What is the deal?

I think with SO you can book any length of stay you like starting on any day you like at any resort as long as it's not in the 12-8 month Home Ownership window.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

That is interesting. Some type of change due to MVC?

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
YES- as a voluntary owner at SBP, you can book a 3 or 4 night stay. I just learned this a couple months ago reading my SBP ownership guide on Vistana. I tested it on Vistana.com, and sure enough my Dashboard pulled up a reservation as "Home Resort usage". Pretty cool.

From SBP ownership guide:
As an Owner, you get to enjoy stays at your Home Resort complete

with all the comforts of home. And with your ownership, you can take

advantage of another Season to choose from and reserve your stay.

HOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR

ADDITIONAL FLEXIBILITY

Beginning 60 days before and up to the day you wish to arrive at your

Home Resort, you may:

• Travel in any Season within your Phase

• Upgrade one Season higher with a fee of $25 a night or

$175 a week

• Reserve a lower Season level without a fee

• Split your ownership week into smaller vacations of 4 nights/

3 nights combination*

• Reserve only one Friday and one Saturday in any Use Year for

each VOI

* Additional housekeeping fees apply.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'd stay just long enough to take pics, high-tail it out of there, and fight with corporate Marriott (since Vistana is under the MVW umbrella) for a refund. No offer worth less than being able to book an equivalent stay at a comparable resort within a year of winning the fight would be acceptable.

In this case have the guests rented from you? If that's the case I'd refund their money and demand from Marriott that in addition to replacing the loss of your week, they make you whole cash-wise.

Yuck!

You would demand Marriott return the week and the profit from the rental? That’s how I read what you wrote. Is that what you meant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We had to vacate a resort in Princeville Hawaii due to an infestation. Roaches were in the kitchen cabinets so I had management come spray. Unfortunately, roaches were in the bed too (running through my hair and over my face when I woke up at 3 am from the sensation that something was crawling on me.). I felt like I was living an episode of Fear Factor. We left in the middle of the night.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

This has been part of the same ownership manual that discusses the the 24 month reservation for your deeded week so I know you have read that booklet but you may not have ever paid intention to this portion.

Yes you can book these online too. I own both mandatory and voluntary resorts so I have looked for less than a week at SBP, there are times when 3-4 night stays come up for home resort usage when there is nothing for SO reservations for those days. I am usually looking for prime time to add onto a stay in Myrtle Beach so even if I see it, I am skeptical that I would find a usable (to me) second part of the split week.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
You would demand Marriott return the week and the profit from the rental? That’s how I read what you wrote. Is that what you meant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. Considering that it'll cost Cindy to reimburse her guests (which I would offer to do in her place,) whatever replacement Marriott decides to give her isn't going to make up for her being out cash.

I'm not usually one of the people who say to fight tooth-and-nail with the Big Bad Timeshare Companies over minor inconveniences, like "my unit didn't have a colander and I had to call for one!" or something else stupid, or even something not stupid that's not the resort's fault. Really, I'm reasonable. :)

But the palmetto bug infestation as described happened to Cindy's guests sounds DISGUSTING. We've been visiting Hilton Head, south of SBP at the coast, for 15+ years and now own a home there. Palmetto bugs are as much a fact of life on the SC coast as they are in Florida, and we've never experienced a time when heavy rains caused something like that, not even during/after the rare hurricanes that hit during the last few years. *If routine professional exterminating services are used* you occasionally see one, maybe a couple dead ones, but never this. There's no excuse for it. If Marriott has to force SBP to pay out of its pocket so that owners/guests get reimbursed, and to spur the resort to do the routine maintenance they should be doing, so be it.

Gah, I'm feeling skeevy just reading this thread!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yep. Considering that it'll cost Cindy to reimburse her guests (which I would offer to do in her place,) whatever replacement Marriott decides to give her isn't going to make up for her being out cash.

I'm not usually one of the people who say to fight tooth-and-nail with the Big Bad Timeshare Companies over minor inconveniences, like "my unit didn't have a colander and I had to call for one!" or something else stupid, or even something not stupid that's not the resort's fault. Really, I'm reasonable. :)

But the palmetto bug infestation as described happened to Cindy's guests sounds DISGUSTING. We've been visiting Hilton Head, south of SBP at the coast, for 15+ years and now own a home there. Palmetto bugs are as much a fact of life on the SC coast as they are in Florida, and we've never experienced a time when heavy rains caused something like that, not even during/after the rare hurricanes that hit during the last few years. *If routine professional exterminating services are used* you occasionally see one, maybe a couple dead ones, but never this. There's no excuse for it. If Marriott has to force SBP to pay out of its pocket so that owners/guests get reimbursed, and to spur the resort to do the routine maintenance they should be doing, so be it.

Gah, I'm feeling skeevy just reading this thread!
I agree a big infestation is not normal. My guess is interior/exterior spraying was not done correctly or at all.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I probably didn't see the thing about 3 and 4 night stays in the online information about SBP Myrtle/Plantation phase.

I really just want my weeks back. We issued refunds and just want to get the weeks, which we can deposit with II for an exchange. That is what would make this right.

Honestly, SBP is not up to Marriott quality, just my opinion, I know, but I think it was at one time. We went last month and really enjoyed it, but it lacks a little attention to detail.

An occasional roach is no big deal. I didn't care one bit about a roach or two at Hilton SeaWorld last May. I knew that it was extremely humid and warm, and it's normal for tropical climates.

I think it had to be nice at one time to sell voluntary Staroptions. I know it was a beautiful place with nice hallways (very reminiscent of Cypress Harbour) and nice, newly remodeled units.

The exterior hallways need to be painted to that shiny new look of Cypress Harbour. It's maybe not fair to compare to Marriott. Seriously love Marriott quality and hope to see an improvement.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The exterior hallways need to be painted to that shiny new look of Cypress Harbour. It's maybe not fair to compare to Marriott. Seriously love Marriott quality and hope to see an improvement.
You might see just that, but do expect to pay dearly for it. In the form of a big MF increase or special assessment.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You might see just that, but do expect to pay dearly for it. In the form of a big MF increase or special assessment.
I agree and I don't think it would be more than a 15% increase, which would be around $100 increase per 1 BR or $200 per 2BR This would still keep MF under the level of the Marriott SC units but enough to upgrade.