• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MacBook Pro or Air?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Smart TUGgers. I have a 8 year old MacBook Pro that I'd like to replace with either a new MB Pro or an Air. Not my area of expertise. For you Apple people out there, want to give me some advice on what to purchase? I am using this strictly for lightweight home related tasks -- surfing the web, occasionally streaming video, emailing, social media, the occasional document / spreadsheet creation. No gaming or hard core analytics going on. Thank you in advance! I value all of your opinions. There are some smart people on here.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Hello Cornell,

First of all, best of luck with this purchase. It's good that you listed your main uses for what you want to do with whatever you choose. But your list really suggests this question first - why a MacBook Pro or Air? The tasks you list as your requirements can all be done with other (read less expensive) solutions. The first thought that came to me was a ChromeBook.

Are you wanting to stay in the world of Apple?
Disclaimer: I am writing this on my Mac Mini - a device I have used effectively for my needs for 6+ years. I did upgrade the HD and and add additional memory to the Mini. Other than that, my Mini has worked well for me.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
BTW: If you have not considered a Mac Mini in your process, AND you have good peripherals already you might want to consider a Mini if portability is NOT a goal.

If portability IS a goal, let me ask you this: what kind of phone are you using at present?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Cornell,

First of all, best of luck with this purchase. It's good that you listed your main uses for what you want to do with whatever you choose. But your list really suggests this question first - why a MacBook Pro or Air? The tasks you list as your requirements can all be done with other (read less expensive) solutions. The first thought that came to me was a ChromeBook.

Are you wanting to stay in the world of Apple?
Disclaimer: I am writing this on my Mac Mini - a device I have used effectively for my needs for 6+ years. I did upgrade the HD and and add additional memory to the Mini. Other than that, my Mini has worked well for me.
I like being able to use iMessage on my laptop and Airdrop. That's why I prefer to stay w/Apple than moving to a Chromebook. And I have an iPhone.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I own a MacBook Pro, which I upgraded to from a MacBook Air about three years ago. The Pro has a bigger, faster processor and hard drive, compared to the Air, and is a more robust machine. Better graphics card, more memory, and a side effect - more USB and memory card ports. For my needs, it was a no brainer.

I still use the Air at work for a quick website checker. It was more because it was sitting unused in a drawer, than because I needed it.

Dave

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my MacBook Air and iPad (last fall) I replaced them with the new iPad Pro. It was not cheap but the portability is well worth it. When matched with the Apple keyboard it is my go to computer now.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a MacBook Pro, which I upgraded to from a MacBook Air about three years ago. The Pro has a bigger, faster processor and hard drive, compared to the Air, and is a more robust machine. Better graphics card, more memory, and a side effect - more USB and memory card ports. For my needs, it was a no brainer.

I still use the Air at work for a quick website checker. It was more because it was sitting unused in a drawer, than because I needed it.

Dave
I'm leaning towards the Pro b/c the touchbar could be a really nice feature to have.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my MacBook Air and iPad (last fall) I replaced them with the new iPad Pro. It was not cheap but the portability is well worth it. When matched with the Apple keyboard it is my go to computer now.
Interesting idea -- is the keyboard you are using illuminated / backlit?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm leaning towards the Pro b/c the touchbar could be a really nice feature to have.

I have this, and it’s convenient at times but not essential. I would prioritize 16gb memory, sufficient storage, weight, and a comfortable display size before all else. The MacBook Air and 13” Pros were just updated last week so now is a great time to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have this, and it’s convenient at times but not essential. I would prioritize 16gb memory, sufficient storage, weight, and a comfortable display size before all else. The MacBook Air and 13” Pros were just updated last week so now is a great time to buy.

This is excellent information - -thank you. Now that I'm thinking about this, it's probably not a feature I'll even use that much.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Smart TUGgers. I have a 8 year old MacBook Pro that I'd like to replace with either a new MB Pro or an Air. Not my area of expertise. For you Apple people out there, want to give me some advice on what to purchase? I am using this strictly for lightweight home related tasks -- surfing the web, occasionally streaming video, emailing, social media, the occasional document / spreadsheet creation. No gaming or hard core analytics going on. Thank you in advance! I value all of your opinions. There are some smart people on here.
I would recommend an Air. You aren't doing any heavy CPU work. Spend money instead on storage (local copies of photos, downloaded movies to watch on the plane/up at the cabin/whatever/etc.) One of my kids is replacing their laptop, and I came to the same conclusion for them pretty quickly.

I have a 2 year old MacBook (the model they just discontinued). If I were to replace that today I would probably make the same decision: longer battery life, 1/4 pound lighter, and the touch bar is not that compelling for me personally. I could use the extra processing power, but probably don't *need* it. So, it's a more difficult decision, but probably the same one in the end.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Cornell - since you mentioned this earlier:

...I am using this strictly for lightweight home related tasks...

Is portability truly a crucial factor in your decision? (Just want to be sure you saw the idea with respect to the Mini earlier...) If you already have the peripherals, it might a lower cost solution for you.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I use a 15" 2017 MacBook Pro and hardly ever use that touchbar. It is mainly used to turn the volume up and down or to mute the speaker. Not much else other than Esc every once and a while. I use the computer for pretty heavy video editing, and it does a great job, but for basic tasks it would be overkill I wouldn't spend the extra cash just to have the touchbar.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Is portability truly a crucial factor in your decision? (Just want to be sure you saw the idea with respect to the Mini earlier...) If you already have the peripherals, it might a lower cost solution for you.
The new minis are great, almost as good as their higher end machines. We would spring for one to replace a late 2014 Mac Mini that seems to be crawling these days if it wasn't for the big price tags to get one that we would need to do what we would want it to do. I a more inclined to upgrade the internal drive to an SSD to get a few more years out of it.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a 2006 Powerbook, then went to a 2013 MacBook Air. Both machines had backlit keyboard, and both have been extremely satisfactory. I'll be in the market for a new machine in a few months so I appreciate reading all the input.

By the way, I stay with the Apple products because they have been very satisfactory during my use. No complaints whatsoever. I always buy the AppleCare Warranty just to be sure!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The new minis are great, almost as good as their higher end machines. We would spring for one to replace a late 2014 Mac Mini that seems to be crawling these days if it wasn't for the big price tags to get one that we would need to do what we would want it to do. I a more inclined to upgrade the internal drive to an SSD to get a few more years out of it.

This is exactly what I did and the results were definitely worth the effort. Although my Mac Mini is older (late 2012 version), replacing the hard drive with a SSD cut my boot time by 2/3rds and has helped my Mini run like a spring chicken once again.

I should also note I maxed out the RAM (16 gb).

Both upgrades were easy to do and I'd say they added three (or more) years of useful life to my Mini.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

Great suggestion - thank you but portability is key. I use my laptop all over my house.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input , thoughts. It's really appreciated. I have been SO happy w/my current MacBook Pro -- it will be fun to get a new laptop.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input , thoughts. It's really appreciated. I have been SO happy w/my current MacBook Pro -- it will be fun to get a new laptop.
Go into an Apple Store and try them out. I was surprised how light the new MacBook Pros are--much lighter than mine (4 yrs old). The keyboard on the Pro is more "satisfying." Air easier to carry around.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go into an Apple Store and try them out. I was surprised how light the new MacBook Pros are--much lighter than mine (4 yrs old). The keyboard on the Pro is more "satisfying." Air easier to carry around.
Another excellent suggestion. I hadn't thought to do that. A truly abhor the Apple store (I feel like I've walked into a cult meeting when I'm there!) but given the $$ of this purchase you make a great point.

Tangentially related, my employer just got me a new laptop. We use Dells. Holy cow I cannot believe how small , thin , and light my new one is. Or perhaps I should say, I can't believe how heavy my old one was! I do major data analytics in my professional life and I would have never imagined 20 years ago that a laptop could be so small and have the power and speed to do my job.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another excellent suggestion. I hadn't thought to do that. A truly abhor the Apple store (I feel like I've walked into a cult meeting when I'm there!) but given the $$ of this purchase you make a great point.

Tangentially related, my employer just got me a new laptop. We use Dells. Holy cow I cannot believe how small , thin , and light my new one is. Or perhaps I should say, I can't believe how heavy my old one was! I do major data analytics in my professional life and I would have never imagined 20 years ago that a laptop could be so small and have the power and speed to do my job.

Some Best Buy stores still have enough of an Apple presence that you may find the products you are considering there - this is NOT to suggest you should (or should not) purchase them from Best Buy but it might offer a closer alternative for a 'hands on' experience.

Best of luck with this purchase!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Ha! This just proves how effective their store design, training, and marketing can be.

On the flip side, I’ve gone to the store to show someone a new unit and we were able to go in, evaluate the device and exit without speaking with any employee other than a brief hello.

I would also recommend evaluating the new MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro in person. Functionally there’s very little difference for your intended purpose.