• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescind letter

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistan Villages
Hello,
I am a 28 year old female that just bought into the Sheraton Vistana Villages ownership and I am regretting doing so. I felt good buying into it but now I feel swindled. I've decided to rescind my contract and need to know what needs to be included in the letter besides my stating to cancel the contract. I've read the bold print and it only tells me where to send the letter, but it does not inform of what to include in the letter. Please advise. TIA.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
No magic words, but everyone who signed the purchase agreement must also sign the rescission letter. Include the contract number if you have it, the date you signed the contract, and the resort. Send it as instructed (US Mail, etc.) but also send by a method that proves you sent it (such as FedEx).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello,
I am a 28 year old female that just bought into the Sheraton Vistana Villages ownership and I am regretting doing so. I felt good buying into it but now I feel swindled. I've decided to rescind my contract and need to know what needs to be included in the letter besides my stating to cancel the contract. I've read the bold print and it only tells me where to send the letter, but it does not inform of what to include in the letter. Please advise. TIA.
What did you buy in Vistana villages? Why do you feel scammed? Who did you buy from?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
There are sample templates you can modify and use in several TUG forum- look in the newbies forum or in the likes of Wyndham or Westgate forums.
It doesn't need to be legalese, just a statement that you want to cancel the purchase. No reason need be stated. Short and sweet. We suggest that you include a copy of the signature page of the contract for ID purposes. Follow their instructions as to address and mailing method. If USPS is specified, sending it Certified will give you tracking and proof of delivery.

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistan Villages
What did you buy in Vistana villages? Why do you feel scammed? Who did you buy from?

I was offered to be given perks of the HERO program because I am a teacher. They tripled my options, originally 38,000 but now 114,000. $732 for annual maintenance fees. I bought from the presentation sales person at the resort. I feel scammed because I came across this forum site and people make it seem like they never get what they want and just displeased as whole. I went into it with an investment mindset and people are saying this is NOT an investment, just something that's nice to have.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistan Villages
No magic words, but everyone who signed the purchase agreement must also sign the rescission letter. Include the contract number if you have it, the date you signed the contract, and the resort. Send it as instructed (US Mail, etc.) but also send by a method that proves you sent it (such as FedEx).

Should I send back the Kindle and free vacation voucher (Myrtle Beach resort) that was given to me? Or, will they request these things upon receiving my letter?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I send back the Kindle and free vacation voucher (Myrtle Beach resort) that was given to me? Or, will they request these things upon receiving my letter?
Keep it and add the phrase, "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover on request." My guess is that no one will request it.

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure when exactly you purchased, but the law only allows you to rescind within so many days.

Be sure to send your letter to rescind via USPS Certified Mail, and retain a Postmarked Receipt. It is the date of actual mailing which will determine if you will be able to legally rescind.

I'm glad you found TUG in order to save yourself thousands of dollars!

Now, go back to the classroom and spread the word :cheer:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
congratulations on finding TUG, a very warm welcome! I am not sure if you mentioned your age because you feel that your youth played a role in your purchase. Do not blame yourself, the timeshare sales people make a living from convincing people of all ages to buy their overpriced products. They are extremely good at that.

Rescind immediately then take your time to study the system and see what you can buy resale at a fraction of the developer price. Concerning the availability, some resorts and weeks are more difficult to get than others. You are a teacher and you probably can only travel during peak times. Yet, I believe that you will always find something you will be very happy with.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Hello,
How much would you have paid for your rescinded TS?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Courtney,

Buying a timeshare is more like getting vacations at a discount than an investment, like buying real estate. We have enjoyed our ownership and don't regret what we bought. The main issue is that you can buy the same thing for a lot less money if you buy a resale property. Thus, rescinding is a good idea. You can then research the program more and find a better deal than buying directly from the developer. Resales go for less than a third of what Vistana sells the property, sometimes a lot less, depending on where you bought. Some villas are given away by people that don't want to continue to pay the maintenance fees. You have to be able to use what you own for this to be worth it. That means you have to be able to travel and afford (time and money) to vacation often.

Go ahead and send the rescission letter in, then take your time to better understand the program. Depending on your travel habits and what you like to do, it can be a good thing to get. After you know a bit more, purchase resale. That is the mantra in these forums - Rescind, Research, buy Resale. There's still a buy recommendation in there, so it is not like the program doesn't work. It is just that there are much more cost effective ways to get in than buying from the developer. Vistana is not out to get you. If you send a letter back in time, per the instructions, you will be able to back out without undue pressure from Vistana.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Send it as instructed (US Mail, etc.) but also send by a method that proves you sent it (such as FedEx).
No need for FedEx or any other way to send the letter than U.S. mail, certified. You'll get a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it. That's the critical date, not the date they receive it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
No need for FedEx or any other way to send the letter than U.S. mail, certified. You'll get a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it. That's the critical date, not the date they receive it.
How does it feel being timeshare free? Do you miss it?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
How does it feel being timeshare free? Do you miss it?
I'm glad to be free of the annual maintenance fees, but sometimes I miss the "hunt" for great exchanges. I'm very thankful for all the great timeshare trips our family got to take when our kids were young and lived at home. Great memories!

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin lagunamar/Marriott
Of course. Send everything back, otherwise they will deduct it from your down payment. They have up to 20 days to refund your money.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistan Villages

I am worried. I sent the letter on July 16th via USPS. I have a tracking number, however I did not get signature confirmation like I thought I requested with the clerk. Also, my letter is typed. Should it have been handwritten? The contract states, "you must notify the seller in writing of your intent to cancel." I simply interpreted this as it could not be done by phone or in person.
Should I resend a handwritten letter with a signature confirmation?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistan Villages
congratulations on finding TUG, a very warm welcome! I am not sure if you mentioned your age because you feel that your youth played a role in your purchase. Do not blame yourself, the timeshare sales people make a living from convincing people of all ages to buy their overpriced products. They are extremely good at that.

Rescind immediately then take your time to study the system and see what you can buy resale at a fraction of the developer price. Concerning the availability, some resorts and weeks are more difficult to get than others. You are a teacher and you probably can only travel during peak times. Yet, I believe that you will always find something you will be very happy with.

I am worried. I sent the letter on July 16th via USPS. I have a tracking number, however I did not get signature confirmation like I thought I requested with the clerk. Also, my letter is typed. Should it have been handwritten? The contract states, "you must notify the seller in writing of your intent to cancel." I simply interpreted this as it could not be done by phone or in person.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am worried. I sent the letter on July 16th via USPS. I have a tracking number, however I did not get signature confirmation like I thought Also, my letter is typed. Should it have been handwritten? The contract states, "you must notify the seller in writing of your intent to cancel." I simply interpreted this as it could not be done by phone or in person.
No, your letter can be typed. Also you don't need the signature confirmation. As long as you have the receipt from the post office showing that you mailed the letter within the specified rescission period you're fine. The date you mailed it is the key here. It doesn't matter when they receive it.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are good. Letters can be typed. You don't need signature confirmation.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Courtney, RELAX! They are bound by law to process your rescission. However, they are NOT required to notify you or receipt, or progress of the rescission. We know the waiting is the hard part. Don't worry. Just watch your credit card for a refund to post. It can take up to 45 days- but will likely happen much sooner.

Jim

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you don’t mind my asking, how much would you have paid for your rescinded Ts?

RMurphy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
This is really helping me. I am six days in and decided to write my letter today (I have ten days). My question is Wyndham gave me the email address and fax number. My contract says to mail a letter. I faxed. I emailed. Should I still send the certified letter tomorrow morning? It will be postmarked the 7th day which I believe is still okay.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My contract says to mail a letter.
Go by what the contract says and be sure to send it certified mail to prove that you rescinded in time.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is really helping me. I am six days in and decided to write my letter today (I have ten days). My question is Wyndham gave me the email address and fax number. My contract says to mail a letter. I faxed. I emailed. Should I still send the certified letter tomorrow morning? It will be postmarked the 7th day which I believe is still okay.
Yes. Mail in. What was the price of your rescinded Ts?