• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harbour Club and Heritage Club in HHI / Refurbishment

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Does anyone know if either of these properties have been refurbished in the past year.

We stayed at Harbour Club last October and the manager shared proposed plans. We liked the location, but the bathrooms were really dated, especially the lower vanities.

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
Heritage club is closed in January for refub

wmp0719

Reaction score
Does anyone know if either of these properties have been refurbished in the past year.

We stayed at Harbour Club last October and the manager shared proposed plans. We liked the location, but the bathrooms were really dated, especially the lower vanities.

I just came back from Harbour Club on Sunday night (7/12). All rooms are being totally remodeled in Jan 2020. Looks like they are removing the large jetted tubs in the bedrooms and replacing them with nicer/bigger bathrooms and separate tub/shower. All new carpet and furniture as well. The lobby was just done. We love Harbour Club and how close it is to everything.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I just came back from Harbour Club on Sunday night (7/12). All rooms are being totally remodeled in Jan 2020. Looks like they are removing the large jetted tubs in the bedrooms and replacing them with nicer/bigger bathrooms and separate tub/shower. All new carpet and furniture as well. The lobby was just done. We love Harbour Club and how close it is to everything.

Thanks so much for the update

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Thanks so much for the update

We already love the layout of the villas at Harbour Club, but the only drawback we found was the older dated condition.

Now with the new renovations and new furniture & fixtures, it'll be the nicest of the non-Big 3 Marriott resorts.

I'd say Monarch should take that spot, but the size of their units cannot be made larger (they are much too small in every room)
and even with the current renovation & updating that won't change, so imho it drops below Harbour Club now
(regardless of Monarch's oceanside location).

Since I mentioned Monarch, I'll elaborate because Monarch will be undergoing renovations too, if not completed already!
Monarch's second BR is tiny, smallest of any BR at any HH Marriott, and only holds 2 twin beds.
The master BR is also the smallest master BR of any HH Marriott.
The LR is cramped and the dining table takes up almost half of the open space,
and it's hard to walk around it. Best suitable for a couple or a couple with small children. A family, or two couples, would probably be claustrophobic.
Kitchen is very small too.
I truly wish Monarch were different because it has such a nice beachfront location.
We've rented there many times over the years, and each time I've said "no more". I'll stick to that now. If ONLY they could enlarge the units, it would be a gem. But even with the ocean so close, I cannot overcome the size issues, plus the parking outside is not good--- sometimes there's no spot near your building.

There is only one restaurant next door..."Coast"...and altho it started out very good, it has fallen a lot recently, imho, and to others as well.
Last two trips with other couples, we were served inedible dishes... the soup was horribly rancid, even tho the waiter said it was the
best chowder on the island.....not. Sandwiches were mediocre at best too.
Only other restaurant near Monarch is down and across the street at Links (in golf course clubhouse).

Altho Monarch is not immediately near any walkable restaurants or shops of note, Monarch is obviously closer to all the
driveable multitude of restaurants outside Sea Pines by a scant minute's drive as compared to HC, but it's not an issue.
Driving to HH's best restaurants requires a drive of several minutes outside of Sea Pines, plus 1-8 miles or more.

Only two small shops are in the area of Monarch---
one a "resort shop" at Sea Pines Beach Club, other is in golf/tennis clubhouse--
so it's very limited shopping in the immediate area....
so you must drive to South Beach, Harbour Town, or outside Sea Pines.

Harbour Club, on the other hand, is in Harbour Town, and has numerous restaurants within easy walking---- steps away actually,
including the highly rated CQ's next door, Crazy Crab, Quarter Deck, & Harbour Town Bakery & Cafe....far more than near Monarch.
And there are many shops at Harbour Town, steps from Harbour Club-----fine upscale boutiques, men's shop, several ladies' shops, T-shirt shops, several gift shops, art shops...plus origination point for most island tours----far more stuff than around Monarch. And yet HC is situated over in a private, quiet corner. Both HC and Monarch are very quiet and peaceful, no problem there.

Very happy to hear of Harbour Club renovations. We'll definitely spend extra time there in addition to our other ownership weeks at HH.
Great resort, great location.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Harbour Club units are huge and the location is awesome if you are looking for a non-beach environment. Some units have a very good water view. I would still take Monarch over Harbour Club just because of the ocean front footprint and the restaurant/shops next door. I would maybe take Harbour Club over Barony Gardenview though.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
There should be a sticky on every location that undergoes a refurbishment, with the date it starts, the date it is completed and what work was done and if known what the cost was?

The units are far from new and this I think would help in keeping everyone up to date?

Thanks.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a general rule, Timeshares in the Marriott Vacation Club get a soft goods renovation every 5 years, with a full renovation every 10 years.......

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
There should be a sticky on every location that undergoes a refurbishment, with the date it starts, the date it is completed and what work was done and if known what the cost was?

The units are far from new and this I think would help in keeping everyone up to date?

Thanks.

Stickies are a blessing and a curse - they take up too much space on the opening forum pages already and many people blow right by them on their way to posting questions. The preference seems to be that as much as possible the stickies reflect info that doesn't change often, which refurb info does.

Refurbs happen on a fairly regular basis, 5-years soft goods/10-years complete, and TUG usually talks about them specifically whenever they're mentioned in MF's packages or GM's Newsletters. You can do a TUG search or ask about any resorts you're thinking of in particular?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC Resort renovation timescales do differ.
Just as a specific example, Phuket Beach Club had a deep soft goods renovation in 2011 then again in 2018.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stickies are a blessing and a curse - they take up too much space on the opening forum pages already and many people blow right by them on their way to posting questions. The preference seems to be that as much as possible the stickies reflect info that doesn't change often, which refurb info does.

Refurbs happen on a fairly regular basis, 5-years soft goods/10-years complete, and TUG usually talks about them specifically whenever they're mentioned in MF's packages or GM's Newsletters. You can do a TUG search or ask about any resorts you're thinking of in particular?

I saw Harbour Club and Heritage Club will both be closed for the entire month of January.
Do the need that time for just furniture replacement or is something bigger going on?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw Harbour Club and Heritage Club will both be closed for the entire month of January.
Do the need that time for just furniture replacement or is something bigger going on?
This seems very unusual.
Resorts generally plan for units or buildings to be unavailable for perhaps one week during the year for maintenance... but not a whole resort for a month.
In exceptional situations e.g. HVAC aircon replacement, which requires major work, a building may need to be taken out of use for a few weeks but then this work will typically be completed in phases one building at a time over an extended period. At Phuket Beach Club, this is being done over 4 years to minimise outage and owner impact.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I agree with Barry that it would be very unusual for a resort to completely shut down for a month for refurbs, but I just searched and it's also unusual that there's very limited availability during lowest-demand January, using DC Points OR for cash stays, at any of the older Hilton Head resorts (Sunset Pointe, Heritage Club, Harbour Point, Monarch and Harbour Club.)

The only "Important Notices" on owners.marriottvacationclub.com for Harbour Club and Heritage Club are about check-in procedures, nothing about refurbs. Can you link to where you saw the shut-down notices?

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Barry that it would be very unusual for a resort to completely shut down for a month for refurbs, but I just searched and it's also unusual that there's very limited availability during lowest-demand January, using DC Points OR for cash stays, at any of the older Hilton Head resorts (Sunset Pointe, Heritage Club, Harbour Point, Monarch and Harbour Club.)

The only "Important Notices" on owners.marriottvacationclub.com for Harbour Club and Heritage Club are about check-in procedures, nothing about refurbs. Can you link to where you saw the shut-down notices?

I tried searching but I guess I am not very good at it, but it was in a post someone made a couple of months ago, that he was an owner at Harbor Club and that it was going to shut down for the entire month of January and he heard Heritage Club was doing the same for refurbishment.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I visited Harbor Pointe last January when I was at Hilton Head. Most, if not all of the resort was closed for a few weeks while they were doing major refurbishing. The parking lots were full of trailers with furniture and appliances. I wouldn't be surprised if the other older, smaller resorts choose to shut down rather than keep sections open. They have limited elevators and it would be difficult to do the construction work without significantly impacting guest stays.

These resorts require significantly fewer DC points and have fewer available villas than the big 3 on Hilton Head, so I'm not surprised to see limited availability.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Heritage club is closed in January for refub

@alexb, can you please link to where you found the notice that the resort will be closing? As has been said in the other posts that I merged into this thread, it's highly unusual for a resort to shut down even during the 10-year complete refurbs.

Thanks!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried searching but I guess I am not very good at it, but it was in a post someone made a couple of months ago, that he was an owner at Harbor Club and that it was going to shut down for the entire month of January and he heard Heritage Club was doing the same for refurbishment.

Took a few different search terms but I finally found it, and merged the threads. :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I visited Harbor Pointe last January when I was at Hilton Head. Most, if not all of the resort was closed for a few weeks while they were doing major refurbishing. The parking lots were full of trailers with furniture and appliances. I wouldn't be surprised if the other older, smaller resorts choose to shut down rather than keep sections open. They have limited elevators and it would be difficult to do the construction work without significantly impacting guest stays.

These resorts require significantly fewer DC points and have fewer available villas than the big 3 on Hilton Head, so I'm not surprised to see limited availability.

For years we did off-beach HHI resorts for off-season January stays - the low DC Points requirements and cash discount rates are awesome! We usually booked those last minute and I don't remember facing the kind of limited availability issues that are showing in today's searches. I also vaguely remember being there for a couple of those stays while off-season refurbs were happening. The only times I can remember that HHI resorts shut down completely were following the recent hurricanes when the damage was resort-wide and/or severe enough to make too many units uninhabitable.

It's interesting, and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing the notices. :)

Reactions: jme

wmp0719

Reaction score
When we stayed at Harbor Club in July, they mentioned to us that the building would be closed on 1/5/2020 for about 4-8 weeks for complete remodeling. This is mainly due to the fact that there is only one elevator and they will need it to move furniture, etc and do not want to impact guests. They plan on starting on the 5th floor rooms and continue down to the first floor. All the niches in the dining rooms will be removed and new dining tables will be ordered. The living room will get all new furniture and new lighting, including new TVs. New platform beds in the master bedroom and new furniture including lighting and ceiling fans. Master bath whirlpool tubs will be removed and a new, large walk in shower will be installed. The current shower will be converted to a walk in closet. The current sinks will be replaced and the counter will be brought up to standard height. Current windows next to the front doors will be frosted glass and new window treatments applied. New front doors with peep holes will be placed. All new foyer lighting, and foyer tables will be placed.
The guest room will also have the whirlpool tub removed and the extra sink removed as well. A dry vanity will be put in place of the sink. New platform beds, plantation shutters and new night stands will be placed. A large dresser will be placed where the whirlpool tub once was. New TVs will be mounted on the wall. The guest rooms will be expanded and have a tub/shower combo installed w/ new vanity. New ceiling fans and lighting in the guest room will be placed as well.
Finally, all carpet, and curtains will be replaced and all walls will be freshly painted.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish Marriott’s would remove all the whirlpool tubs. I do not feel owners or guests are using them now. IMO.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
For years we did off-beach HHI resorts for off-season January stays - the low DC Points requirements and cash discount rates are awesome! We usually booked those last minute and I don't remember facing the kind of limited availability issues that are showing in today's searches. :)

This is what I see with a Club Interval Gold (I.I. points) request for January. No Heritage Club and nothing after the first week for Harbour Club. The other Marriotts show availability throughout the month after you open each to see the full listing.

[Copy/Paste of II search results removed; that detailed info can only be posted to the TUG Sightings forum. <-- SueDonJ]

Last edited by a moderator:

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I wonder what MVC is doing for weeks owners who own during that season. I assume it is bronze.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I wonder what MVC is doing for weeks owners who own during that season. I assume it is bronze.
Many (most, I think) of the units at Harbour Club are fixed weeks. Not sure about Heritage Club.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Harbour Club was our second favorite HH resort behind Grande Ocean even before this refurbishment. It should be even better now. It is an often neglected gem, similar in that respect to Sabal Palms in Orlando.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Many (most, I think) of the units at Harbour Club are fixed weeks. Not sure about Heritage Club.

That could explain the limited DC Points/cash availability at the other non-beach resorts, if they're giving owners of the shut-down resorts the opportunity to stay at any of these instead?