• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use Ovation no new resale purchase?

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a thread somewhere that talked about the notion that once you used Ovation, you could not thereafter make additional purchases.

There were some contrary examples where purchases were made post Ovation, but it wasn’t clear whether it was administrative error where Wyndham simply didn’t catch it.

So I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know for sure that Wyndham’s intent is to stop all future purchases from someone that has used Ovation?

2. If #1 is true, then would it extend to preventing future Worldmark purchases?

I would like to “Ovate” a couple of Wyndham contracts and replace with Worldmark, and the timing is such that I’d like to give back first and later get the Worldmark.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on my experience this is not true. I surrendered one through Ovation and have subsequently bought three resale contracts, all within the past year. The most recent one was about a month ago.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The other posts referred to no new purchase if you surrender all of your Wyndham contracts through Ovation. No one who surrendered one or more but kept at least one contract reported difficulties purchasing later.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now from what I am reading, they lock your account during this Ovations window. Reservations get canceled and you cannot book. We really aren't hearing if that is true when there are remaining contracts.

But it is a HUGE risk to not keep reservations or be able to make new ones for at least eight weeks. At least not a risk that I'd be willing to take.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I contacted Ovations regarding 2 contracts on April 3, 2019. We kept 3 other contracts.
I received the paperwork/deeds to be signed and notarized on April 30 and May 6.
I canceled a reservation on May 6 in order to free up some points for the contracts that were leaving.
I made a new reservation on May 9, making sure there were enough current year points remaining to cover the Ovated contracts.*
I'm pretty sure I put all of the signed documentation in the mail on May 13.
The contracts left my account on May 23 and May 30.

I had reservations for check-in on May 19, May 23, May 25 (these 3 were booked last July), and May 31 (this was the one I booked May 9), and none of them were affected by the process.

*As a footnote, the way I made sure to have enough points in my account for the Ovated contracts was to book a dummy reservation with this year's points in the amount I needed to keep free for Ovations, then booked my desired reservation using the remaining 2019 and borrowed points from 2020, then cancelled the dummy.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I contacted Ovations regarding 2 contracts on April 3, 2019. We kept 3 other contracts.
I received the paperwork/deeds to be signed and notarized on April 30 and May 6.
I canceled a reservation on May 6 in order to free up some points for the contracts that were leaving.
I made a new reservation on May 9, making sure there were enough current year points remaining to cover the Ovated contracts.*

I had reservations for check-in on May 19, May 23, May 25 (these 3 were booked last July), and May 31 (this was the one I booked May 9), and none of them were affected by the process.

*As a footnote, the way I made sure to have enough points in my account for the Ovated contracts was to book a dummy reservation with this year's points in the amount I needed to keep free for Ovations, then booked my desired reservation using the remaining 2019 and borrowed points from 2020, then cancelled the dummy.

When I called they told me that they would take the points from next year. I heard that in November and I heard that last month.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It's possible that they would have taken the points from next year, if you mean taking this year's points from next year (in addition to taking next year's points from next year). It's also possible they would have cancelled my reservations, which was not an acceptable possibility to me, so I made sure that this year had exactly enough points to cover it. I simply posted all of that to indicate that there was no lock on my account in a situation where I was Ovating some contracts and keeping some others. I was able to book, cancel, and check in all in the midst of the Ovations process. (In fact, one of my check-in days was the exact day one of the contracts was removed from my account.)

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Surprising how fast a deed transfers when Wyndham is the buyer. I sold a few this year to a Wyndham Preferred broker Wyndham was the third party buyer. From the day I signed a purchase agreement to the time they left my account 5-6 weeks.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I called in again to see what they would say. The rep was clueless. At first she said that it qualified for Pathways. I knew that it didn't. So she checked and it didn't. Then she said that they would take back the 400k CWA contract that I want gone. She said that they would LOCK the account for 4 months. I couldn't not book anything although I could cancel. So even though I have way more than enough points next year (and for this year as well) they would still lock it. Well, that is just not happening. I still don't believe her but that is not a risk that I am willing to take.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I called in again to see what they would say. The rep was clueless. At first she said that it qualified for Pathways. I knew that it didn't. So she checked and it didn't. Then she said that they would take back the 400k CWA contract that I want gone. She said that they would LOCK the account for 4 months. I couldn't not book anything although I could cancel. So even though I have way more than enough points next year (and for this year as well) they would still lock it. Well, that is just not happening. I still don't believe her but that is not a risk that I am willing to take.
Many of the reps give false information and really don't know the process as well as they should. I had one tell me a deed would qualify even if I did not own it for a year. All info was sent to me and it clearly stated that I needed to own the deed for 1 year or more. SMH. Calling in to CS is a hit or miss hopefully you get a knowledgeable person but chances are you won't most of the time.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will find that RCI has the same problem. Try transferring RCI points to another member sometime. It is always a different story it costs $99 per transfer, they stopped transferring points 6 months ago or there is a new program and you can only gift them. I had a supervisor tell me all this. Next morning I called rep transferred points no charge and with no issues.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score

So the two contracts, from sending to Wyndham until transfer took 10 and 17 days?

That changes my thinking. I’m out of points until January, but have points to cover and res made thru July. Thinking I wait until late December and send in Jan 1.

Also, one of deeds is Flagstaff and they have their own deed back program. Any advantage of going with a resort direct (with release to Fairshare) over Ovation?

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Also, one of deeds is Flagstaff and they have their own deed back program. Any advantage of going with a resort direct (with release to Fairshare) over Ovation?
That explains how Flagstaff was able to offer up a contract at a significant discount from usual Wyndham rates. Once when we were about to leave from our 'owners update' the salesman said by the way we have a Flagstaff contract we took back and you could have it for something like $8000. Still nowhere near resale rates but a third or so of developer rate. Of course I passed.

Bob