• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ripped my britches on this one, Pa!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I look at this type of extreme piercing as a mental illness similar to cutting. A cry out for attention and help, needing therapy.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I don't get a person who has done these to themselves telling someone not to stare. It seems to me that they want attention. Or, I suppose, to suffer.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an old fart. I do not liked tattoos, pierced ears or tongue piercing. I am a baby boomer.

I do not want want or liked to see teachers dressing liked their students. Yes! I am an old fart. LOL.o_O

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am an old fart. I do not liked tattoos, pierced ears or tongue piercing. I am a baby boomer.

I do not want want or liked to see teachers dressing liked their students. Yes! I am an old fart. LOL.o_O

I'm with you - Pedro!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I learned something new...I had never heard the term gauge before and they definitely creep me out.....It's something I just don't understand.

On the other hand, we had a theft last weekend and we got the guys on video. Their tattoos made it pretty easy to confirm their identity so tattoos are good for something.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ear gauges are bad enough, but this is just downright gross, IMO:

A6XnTc3.jpg

And the sad part is that I have personally seen a few of these. Left speechless...

Kurt

With those holes, he is just ready for a bit and bridle. He should hook himself up to a cart and charge for rides.

All kidding aside, this is an extreme case. I hope this never becomes the norm.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Growing up my mother told me if I wanted to be a professional you do not get an earring or god forbid a tattoo. I don't even think she could imagine what is being done today. I agree with the OP about job interviews.

If I have someone come in with tattoos showing (which is quite rare), I will generally not hire them. I will usually cut the interview short. Some might call that wrong, but from my view the perspective employee is not serious about their career, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten exposed tattoos in the first place or worse, they do not consider the ramifications of their actions. None of which I want to deal with.

Most people I know who do have tattoos, put them where they can be covered up for work. Neck, face or hand tattoos are a big no no.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am deeply puzzled, and troubled by the photos -- and would have more than a little problem seeing such a thing in person.

I am thinking Disney is still able to maintain a fairly strict dress code. How are they able to do that without threat of lawsuit?

Forget the dress code. Their chief imagineer (Rhodes?) has some super heavy earrings that have weighed down and streched out one of his earlobes so that it hangs down for a 3 or 4 inches.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Growing up my mother told me if I wanted to be a professional you do not get an earring or god forbid a tattoo. I don't even think she could imagine what is being done today. I agree with the OP about job interviews.

If I have someone come in with tattoos showing (which is quite rare), I will generally not hire them. I will usually cut the interview short. Some might call that wrong, but from my view the perspective employee is not serious about their career, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten exposed tattoos in the first place or worse, they do not consider the ramifications of their actions. None of which I want to deal with.

Most people I know who do have tattoos, put them where they can be covered up for work. Neck, face or hand tattoos are a big no no.

I have a nephew who a few years ago, went through a period of having bright coloured dyed hair in a mohawk cut. Living in Toronto he really didn't stand out that much. He also has nearly a full sleeve of tattoos as well as ones on his legs and the side of his neck. He has both ears pierced (one multiple times) as well as his eyebrow and lip. He wondered why nobody would hire him! I don't think he owned any 'nice' clothes and is habitually late for everything. His grandpa and I tried to tell him that he might be more successful with his job hunting if he looked more 'normal. His mom (my sister) maintained that he shouldn't be judged for expressing himself.

He finally found a nice girlfriend who gently persuaded him to change his looks by getting a haircut and not dying it. He also removed some of the earrings and got some clothes more suitable for a job interview and working. After his 'make-over' he applied for a job he really wanted and was qualified for. The gf got him to the interview ahead of schedule and he got the job! Unfortunately he had to quit the job this spring when the gf (now fiancé) and he decided to move to her hometown 2hrs from Toronto to look after her mom who has alcohol and drug abuse induced dementia. He is back to job hunting but first he is working on getting his drivers license (at age 25) since there is no public transportation where they are living now.

~Diane

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sound like he has grown up

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I used to work in a wound care center and I can't tell you how many severe infections came through the door due to tattoos and piercings. Some so bad as to be at risk of an amputation.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Ear gauges are bad enough, but this is just downright gross, IMO:

A6XnTc3.jpg

And the sad part is that I have personally seen a few of these. Left speechless...

Kurt

How does he eat or drink?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
As a retired career Navy sailor who somehow survived sailing all over the world without getting anything tattooed or pierced, I completely understand your point of view. I see some of these people, and my first thought is, "At what point did you ever think doing THAT to yourself was attractive, or a good idea?" But then I stop, and remind myself to accept that everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion. ;)

Ear gauges aren't so bad, considering the other options. (Have you seen the implanted horns under the scalp? That's a good look. NOT.) What bothers me are the nose gauges I see from time to time, where the person has that hoop installed on the side of their nose - inside the skin, leaving a gaping hole. I don't understand it, and avoid gawking at somebody who has had it done, although I often think, "I wonder if they walk outdoors on a windy day, and sound like a calliope?"

A week's timeout on WM FB may not be such a bad thing. Use the time wisely to ponder your offense. Now, go to the chalkboard and write a hundred times, "I will not expect others to ever be as cool as I am. " :)

Hugs, Faith. You're a keeper. :thumbup:

Dave

Dave,

Also a retired sailor who managed to stay tattoo-free and piercing-free, although that was in another time (I retired in 1988). I don't think many sailors back then got tattoos when they were sober. Maybe a few -- an anchor, a heart, Mom, etc. I still work in a DoD agency with lots of active duty and retired military officers, mostly O-5s and O-6s. You don't see tattoos on any of them while they are in uniform but some come to work in short and tees and change in the office. You'll see some tattoos on shoulders, backs of calfs, etc.

As for timeout on a WorldMark Facebook page, my wife regularly gets busted by the Washington (Com)Post. She grew up in Chile during Allende, is very opinionated about some things, and expresses her opinions emphatically. You can do that if you agree with the Post but get busted if you don't.

You're probably familiar with one of my old ships, USS Turner Joy, a museum ship in Bremerton. I was Ops Officer in the early 1970s.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave,

Also a retired sailor who managed to stay tattoo-free and piercing-free, although that was in another time (I retired in 1988). I don't think many sailors back then got tattoos when they were sober. Maybe a few -- an anchor, a heart, Mom, etc. I still work in a DoD agency with lots of active duty and retired military officers, mostly O-5s and O-6s. You don't see tattoos on any of them while they are in uniform but some come to work in short and tees and change in the office. You'll see some tattoos on shoulders, backs of calfs, etc.

As for timeout on a WorldMark Facebook page, my wife regularly gets busted by the Washington (Com)Post. She grew up in Chile during Allende, is very opinionated about some things, and expresses her opinions emphatically. You can do that if you agree with the Post but get busted if you don't.

You're probably familiar with one of my old ships, USS Turner Joy, a museum ship in Bremerton. I was Ops Officer in the early 1970s.

Hi Jim,

Sounds very familiar. I agree with you about tattoos and such. I don't have anything against them, I just never found an image I liked well enough to want to wear for the rest of my life. (That may change next year, however. I've always identified with the Honu, the Hawaiian green sea turtle. They are a symbol of strength, independence, and longevity. I'm toying with the idea of getting a stylized Honu on my upper arm, near my shoulder. It'd be hidden under clothing, but seen if I wore a tank or sleeveless shirt. We'll see.

I like your wife's attitude. She has earned the right to express her opinion. Good for her.

I know Turner Joy quite well. She sailed in my battle group in the 1980s when I was on Nimitz. Cool ship. (Go Navy! I retired in '93.)

Dave

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
For all who have never had piercings and tattoos and are contemplating getting them, please ensure you are not of a skin type which develops keloids.

Also, for any young women contemplating a large lower back tattoo, keep in mind if/when you have children you may want an epidural. Our ex-DiL was denied an epidural when she was in labour with our DGS by 2 different anesthetists due to the large tattoo on her lower back right were the epidural would be inserted. Finally one of the nurses called an anesthetist who worked at that hospital part time and would administer the epidural through a tattoo. He arrived well past when the epidural was needed/wanted but in time for the delivery. This was 15 yrs ago in a newish modern hospital north of Toronto ON.

~Diane

geekette

Reaction score
Also, for any young women contemplating a large lower back tattoo, keep in mind if/when you have children you may want an epidural. Our ex-DiL was denied an epidural when she was in labour with our DGS by 2 different anesthetists due to the large tattoo on her lower back right were the epidural would be inserted. Finally one of the nurses called an anesthetist who worked at that hospital part time and would administer the epidural through a tattoo. He arrived well past when the epidural was needed/wanted but in time for the delivery. This was 15 yrs ago in a newish modern hospital north of Toronto ON.

~Diane
Interesting! I could understand potential risk of infection with a new tattoo but curious if it's an issue with a years-old one? I am intentionally tattoo-free and don't actually understand putting one on my back, where I can't see it! some tats I consider to be art, but there is no way I would shell out for art I could not enjoy. I don't get it, but, it's not for me, so, I don't need to understand.

Had never heard gauge, but have seen them, but then learned about this, too. You just never know what kind of knowledge you might pick up in the lounge!

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been in restaurants, and when the waiter or waitress has asked to take my order and has tongue, lip, or face piercings I have literally lost my appetite. :( And I love to eat, but I am serious, I actually loose my appetite. That would be great if I had to diet, I would just look at pics of those type of piercings.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I remember when i first saw "gauges."

I thought, at the time, that they were holes being prepped for....something...that would be inserted. I saw lot's of gauges, but never saw them filled. So....

One day, I asked the guy at the counter with the 'gauges' what he was going to put in the holes.
He was not amused.

My kids explained it later.

I struggle, to this day, not to ask people: "so, what you going to put in that hole when it's finally big enough?" but i can't stop laughing long enough to pull it off.
Shame on me.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I am sure I've commented on others posts on Worldmark FB since my timeout ended on the 7th. Apparently those comments went through because they were in response to a post someone else started. Today I posted that I have good luck just looking for availability at our favorite resorts from time to time when I happen to think about it. I hit the jackpot yesterday with 4 days at one resort, and today a full week at another, next summer at hard to book/maybe 20 units each beach resorts. Apparently I am now on a terrorist watch list because today's post has to be reviewed by a moderator before it is let loose on the world. Unbelievable!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I find it intriguing how often the champions of tolerance will not tolerate people whose opinions differ from theirs.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I am sure I've commented on others posts on Worldmark FB since my timeout ended on the 7th. Apparently those comments went through because they were in response to a post someone else started. Today I posted that I have good luck just looking for availability at our favorite resorts from time to time when I happen to think about it. I hit the jackpot yesterday with 4 days at one resort, and today a full week at another, next summer at hard to book/maybe 20 units each beach resorts. Apparently I am now on a terrorist watch list because today's post has to be reviewed by a moderator before it is let loose on the world. Unbelievable!
What does that have to do with tattoos and piercings?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It could be that with your release from FB Jail, your posting rights were reset to Newbie status. In many forums I read, a "new" poster has to have posts Moderator-approved before they can be posted. After a few posts, it seems they release the user to post without supervision. So maybe that's where you are with that forum.

Now, behave yourself! ;)

Dave

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I find it intriguing how often the champions of tolerance will not tolerate people whose opinions differ from theirs.
It's usually just a power trip of the group admin(s). I'm not a big fan of Facebook groups.