• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Prime Day Chromebook

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I didn't want to clog up the Prime Day thread with my question, so I'm starting a new thread. I'm interested in something very light weight for travel. I have an 11" laptop that I used to use, but it's just too heavy. I usually take a tablet or two but there are times I'd like a little more - does anyone have suggestions for a very lightweight chromebook? I have not previously used or owned a chromebook.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not savvy enough to recommend a particular model but I finally had it with Microsoft and bought a Chromebook about a year ago and absolutely love it...

George

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to clog up the Prime Day thread with my question, so I'm starting a new thread. I'm interested in something very light weight for travel. I have an 11" laptop that I used to use, but it's just too heavy. I usually take a tablet or two but there are times I'd like a little more - does anyone have suggestions for a very lightweight chromebook? I have not previously used or owned a chromebook.

Check into the Mac Book Air, and Mac Book Pro. Both are very satisfactory machines, but will cost more than a Chromebook.

Both are light weight.

Brett

Reaction score

For web surfing and email Chromebook is fine. Check them out at Best Buy and then look at the Amazon deals
I needed something a little better for travel because I use Photoshop which requires MAC or windows

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, they are ideal if your main needs are email and web!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So does a Chromebook play nice with Amazon photos/video stored on Amazon cloud? On Windows, photos I take on my phone automatically transfer (to my Windows computer), would they be visible on Chromebook?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So does a Chromebook play nice with Amazon photos/video stored on Amazon cloud? On Windows, photos I take on my phone automatically transfer (to my Windows computer), would they be visible on Chromebook?

A Chromebook is just a fancy tablet. As long as you have an Internet connection, you have access to the world. How well do Google and Amazon get along? I should think it'd be fine. If you have an Android phone, it should integrate nicely with a Chromebook. If you have an iPhone, just telling it where your Cloud storage is located should work, too. I don't see a problem. (And if you do, Amazon accepts returns. In fact, didn't Kohl's set up a return thing for Amazon purchases? My recollection is it starts this month. Am I remembering right?)

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We switched to Ipads for travel that includes flights. The Ipads work great to stream music, movies , do email, face time and really works well for in flight movies. They are on the small side but they don't get virus very easy.

Bill

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, just pretend a chromebook is like a big android phone or tablet.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Chromebook is just a fancy tablet. As long as you have an Internet connection, you have access to the world. How well do Google and Amazon get along? I should think it'd be fine. If you have an Android phone, it should integrate nicely with a Chromebook. If you have an iPhone, just telling it where your Cloud storage is located should work, too. I don't see a problem. (And if you do, Amazon accepts returns. In fact, didn't Kohl's set up a return thing for Amazon purchases? My recollection is it starts this month. Am I remembering right?)

Dave
Thanks. My old Windows laptop is not aging well- me either- I have been thinking about a new one, but my needs anymore are simple. email and web surfing. If I was banned from TUG, I wouldn't need a computer at all. I hardly ever return anything, and we don't have Kohl's here anyway. I saw one on Prime Day for $170. Might be worth a shot. My 'travel' computer is just a Kindle tablet anyway, and how much worse could a Chromebook be? Maybe a full Android system would be better than the Amazon/Kindle/Android that the tablet has anyway.

Thanks. It looks like a go.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks. My old Windows laptop is not aging well- me either- I have been thinking about a new one, but my needs anymore are simple. email and web surfing. If I was banned from TUG, I wouldn't need a computer at all. I hardly ever return anything, and we don't have Kohl's here anyway. I saw one on Prime Day for $170. Might be worth a shot. My 'travel' computer is just a Kindle tablet anyway, and how much worse could a Chromebook be? Maybe a full Android system would be better than the Amazon/Kindle/Android that the tablet has anyway.

Thanks. It looks like a go.

I think the $170 ones are refurbished. Aren't they?

And yes, they're much like what you already own. There are a few things different, but if all you're doing is email and surfing, no worries at all.

And don't joke about being banned from Tug. We need you. ;)

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Check into the Mac Book Air, and Mac Book Pro. Both are very satisfactory machines, but will cost more than a Chromebook.

Both are light weight.
A lot more!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We switched to Ipads for travel that includes flights. The Ipads work great to stream music, movies , do email, face time and really works well for in flight movies. They are on the small side but they don't get virus very easy.

Bill

I totally understand that. I have a Macbook Pro at home as my primary computer, and an iPhone that talks to it easily. I have a Samsung Tab 2 tablet I use for traveling. The Samsung tablet is much like an iPad, in terms of size and capability, but it's a lot less expensive. If I ever lost it, I wouldn't be heartbroken. If I lost an iPad, I'd be quite upset. The Samsung also has a Micro SD memory card slot, so I can load movies on it, and switch out the cards, without filling up the internal memory.

Dave

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I replaced my five year old Samsung tablet with an 11.6" Acer touch screen Chromebook which I love.

I especially like having the keyboard for filling in forms rather than the popup keyboard that can cover the form.

I wouldn't own a computer without the touch screen. A feature that I especially like besides touch activation, is being able to enlarge small text text by spreading with the thumb and finger.

I hope eventually that large screens will be come available so that I can replace Microsoft on my desktop.

I bought mine a little over a year ago refurbished on Best Buy. I also bought my Samsung refurbished.Often they are repackaged returns.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-s...memory-sparkly-silver/6307187.p?skuId=6307187

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I totally understand that. I have a Macbook Pro at home as my primary computer, and an iPhone that talks to it easily. I have a Samsung Tab 2 tablet I use for traveling. The Samsung tablet is much like an iPad, in terms of size and capability, but it's a lot less expensive. If I ever lost it, I wouldn't be heartbroken. If I lost an iPad, I'd be quite upset. The Samsung also has a Micro SD memory card slot, so I can load movies on it, and switch out the cards, without filling up the internal memory.

Dave

Last night I bought a couple of Ipad 2nd generation for $69 each on ebay deals. I think they are refurbs but each have a two year warranty through square trade for $8 each.

I started with an Asus 10 inch tablet and I liked it fine but the Ipad is what my wife likes. Happy wife, happy life !!!

Bill

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
It is worth noting that Chromebook are evolving these days from the standpoint you have more options on them than ever before BUT at a price.
Simple Chromebooks at low prices are getting harder (not impossible) to find because hardware manufacturers want to sell more expensive pieces of hardware to increase those profit margins. My point here is that it is now very common to see Chromebook selling for more than $500 - which is an abomination of what the Chromebook was meant to do.

The best first step (still) is to accurately assess what tasks you are going to use any computing solution for and consider all alternatives at the price range you're comfortable with. There is still nothing wrong with preferring Mac to Windows (or vice versa) but if you want the best solution for your needs, consider everything!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is worth noting that Chromebook are evolving these days from the standpoint you have more options on them than ever before BUT at a price.

The best first step (still) is to accurately assess what tasks you are going to use any computing solution for and consider all alternatives at the price range you're comfortable with. There is still nothing wrong with preferring Mac to Windows (or vice versa) but if you want the best solution for your needs, consider everything!
I still haven't pulled the trigger (yet) but the day is young. Even the $180 ones on Amazon are new- not refurbs. But I have settled that I must have a touch screen, but I hardly ever fold my laptop over and use it as a tablet. I would prefer an SSD to flash memory, but don't ask me why. I think that for portability, the 11.6" has it over the 13". OK. So I sprung for this one. The Whole Foods $10 Prime Day credit might have tipped me over. We'll see when it arrives if it's worth setting my tablet aside when traveling.

Turned out just a hint over $200 delivered.
616IPB2r0EL._SL1241_.jpg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still haven't pulled the trigger (yet) but the day is young. Even the $180 ones on Amazon are new- not refurbs. But I have settled that I must have a touch screen, but I hardly ever fold my laptop over and use it as a tablet. I would prefer an SSD to flash memory, but don't ask me why. I think that for portability, the 11.6" has it over the 13". OK. So I sprung for this one. The Whole Foods $10 Prime Day credit might have tipped me over. We'll see when it arrives if it's worth setting my tablet aside when traveling.

616IPB2r0EL._SL1241_.jpg
Well, Amazon and Buster Brown came through and delivered the new Chromebook about an hour ago. After connecting it to my network, plugging it in to fully charge and telling it to update, it's rockin' and rollin'.

There will be a bit of a learning curve from Win10 land, but it seems manageable. And it plays nice with my Android phone.

Jim

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Well, Amazon and Buster Brown came through and delivered the new Chromebook about an hour ago. After connecting it to my network, plugging it in to fully charge and telling it to update, it's rockin' and rollin'.

There will be a bit of a learning curve from Win10 land, but it seems manageable. And it plays nice with my Android phone.

Jim

I didn't order one yet, so will be interested in how you feel about setting your tablet aside for travel. I may have to wait for Black Friday now.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I have a good friend who needs a light weight laptop for surfing the web, watching YouTube, easy photo editing (She has an iPhone.), email (She has an AOL email address.), etc. She would like to be able to wirelessly print from it. I would be buying it as she can't afford it. My head spins looking at Chromebooks on Best Buy and Amazon. What are the "must have" features?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I have a good friend who needs a light weight laptop for surfing the web, watching YouTube, easy photo editing (She has an iPhone.), email (She has an AOL email address.), etc. She would like to be able to wirelessly print from it. I would be buying it as she can't afford it. My head spins looking at Chromebooks on Best Buy and Amazon. What are the "must have" features?

If your description of your friend's computing needs is accurate and complete, you can purchase a ChromeBook on the less expensive end and satisfy these needs.
A good place to start is by reading reputable online reviews of ChromeBooks. CNet and ComputerWorld are two good sources of information.

Read the ComputerWorld buying guide at: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-buying-guide-which-model-should-you-get.html

Read the CNet buying guide at: https://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/best-chromebooks/

And there is a CNet section on ChromeBooks for students: https://www.cnet.com/news/best-chromebooks-for-students-in-2019/

From my perspective, one feature I would NOT pay for is touchscreen. It causes as many problems as it solves for users and some websites.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I gave DW a ChromeBook two years ago. For her needs, it was the right choice. I like the fact that we do not have to mess with AV. Just be careful an the extensions you load.

She was maintaining a spreadsheet which I'm still trying to get working. The LibreOffice app was problematic in features and saving data locally and loading it. I experimented with an AWS Linux Desktop, but the cost was not acceptable.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I gave DW a ChromeBook two years ago. For her needs, it was the right choice. I like the fact that we do not have to mess with AV. Just be careful an the extensions you load.

She was maintaining a spreadsheet which I'm still trying to get working. The LibreOffice app was problematic in features and saving data locally and loading it. I experimented with an AWS Linux Desktop, but the cost was not acceptable.

Dr. Q,

Have you tried Open Office? I believe there is a version of OO now for ChromeBooks. I used OO previously when my home computers were based in Bill's world.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
If your description of your friend's computing needs is accurate and complete, you can purchase a ChromeBook on the less expensive end and satisfy these needs.
A good place to start is by reading reputable online reviews of ChromeBooks. CNet and ComputerWorld are two good sources of information.

Read the ComputerWorld buying guide at: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-buying-guide-which-model-should-you-get.html

Read the CNet buying guide at: https://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/best-chromebooks/

And there is a CNet section on ChromeBooks for students: https://www.cnet.com/news/best-chromebooks-for-students-in-2019/

From my perspective, one feature I would NOT pay for is touchscreen. It causes as many problems as it solves for users and some websites.

Thank you for your help! I will check them out! I love the help that Tuggers always give.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

616IPB2r0EL._SL1241_.jpg

How is this working out for you?