• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Beach Club and luau for the family?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're headed to Kauai with our kids and grandkids, splitting our time between WPORV and KBC. We want to celebrate our son-in-law's birthday at a luau, and are thinking the Kilohana Plantation's luau might be our best bet, due to proximity to KBC (we have five grands between 3 and 7 years old) and they have good reviews. I've emailed the concierge to ask if they offer any discounts for luau tickets for the twelve of us. If not, does anyone know of a booking site for discounts? With ol' Mom and Dad footing the bill for a couple of weeks, I like saving where I can.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here's an idea: maybe you can get a discount by going to a sales pitch! ;)

I believe that Smith's luau is the highest rated luau on Kauai, but haven't done it myself.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hmmm...that's an idea...maybe I can get one of my kids to go on an update for us!

I haven't been to a luau in probably 20 years, but I know the grandkids will love it. I'll look into Smith's luau. Thanks, Denise.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're headed to Kauai with our kids and grandkids, splitting our time between WPORV and KBC. We want to celebrate our son-in-law's birthday at a luau, and are thinking the Kilohana Plantation's luau might be our best bet, due to proximity to KBC (we have five grands between 3 and 7 years old) and they have good reviews. I've emailed the concierge to ask if they offer any discounts for luau tickets for the twelve of us. If not, does anyone know of a booking site for discounts? With ol' Mom and Dad footing the bill for a couple of weeks, I like saving where I can.
I'd check with the concierge for KBC to see what specials they have and what the specifics are. Sometimes the kids prices are the make or break. On a group of 15 for Oahua we saved like $700 and got better seats by going to Chief's over Fia Fia and the show was better. Been to Kilohana and Sheraton, haven't been to others on Kauai. Kilohana was different, not quite the traditional Luau if that matters but it has been a few years.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Dean. I read it was more like a story rather than traditional luau, but I wasn't sure what that meant. I'm looking for a good family evening out with the kids.

Does anyone know if there are good discount cards in the Lihue Costco?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Smith's, if it's still there.

I was DD, but even sober it was great. Get that pig out of the pit and let's eat!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Smith's is totally worth it. Opening the imu is quite a show in itself. Very tasty food, and the after dinner show is quite good. If anyone is military in your group, you can usually buy discounted tickets through the base ticket office. Check out www.greatlifehawaii.com.

Dave

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

I believe that Smith's luau is the highest rated luau on Kauai, but haven't done it myself.

We did Smith's and overall it was good. Food was OK (maybe it was me?), but that said, Smith's was the highest rated when we went.
They are all so busy, so the shows and food at any of the luaus probably are similar.
The show at Smith's was entertaining and professional, so we were satisfied as far as attending an authentic luau.
CHECK WITH CONCIERGE for the real story on where to go. They know the latest.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
With Smith's you can also opt to do the cruise up the Wailua River (complete with hula and ukulele players), and then walk the Gardens before they open the imu. It can be a great overall experience.

Luau food is rarely spicy or exciting - it's a lot of delicate flavors, and over-seasoning it can mess it up. It's not your Grandma's potluck dinner. What makes a good luau is properly cooked food, presentation, and atmosphere. If you know the general flavor of what is served, you can discern good from mediocre. Smiths has their process down to a science, and it was more enjoyable to me than some other luaus I've been to, including the Polynesian Cultural Center, the Hale Koa, and a really poor one in Kona that I don't want to remember the name of. LOL! :)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed the (unauthentic) fire show at Ko Olina's Fia Fia more than the authentic version. :) Food at luaus is all the same to us. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We liked the show and food at Kilohana Plantation. Theirs is a little different with tables set up around the main stage so make sure you get good seats. They do a few scenes from around the room but you want to be able to see the main stage well.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Kilohana primarily tells the traditional Polynesian Settlement of Hawaii through and dance. Smith Family is a bit more inclusive celebrating different ethnic groups that have settled in the Islands. Smith Family's grounds are larger and beautiful to walk. We switch off between them on different visits. If you go to Kilohana track down Donna Cockett. She had beautiful pearls at a fair price. On our last visit to Kauai we went to Kilohana. So when we visit in September 2020 we will go to Smith Family.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
There was a luau on the Kauai Marriott property when we stayed there last year. It was nice and performers were good but we really liked Smith's the best. Have fun!
Aloha!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, everyone. The concierge got back to me this morning, and prices are the same as if I purchased directly from Luau Kalamaku. She did offer 1,000 Bonvoy points for booking through KBC, and I'll get more points from the $1,200 spend on my credit card. Smith's look like fun. The last luau I took my mom to (in 2000) was super cheesy, so it's never been something I've wanted to repeat, but these look like fun for the kids!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, everyone. The concierge got back to me this morning, and prices are the same as if I purchased directly from Luau Kalamaku. She did offer 1,000 Bonvoy points for booking through KBC, and I'll get more points from the $1,200 spend on my credit card. Smith's look like fun. The last luau I took my mom to (in 2000) was super cheesy, so it's never been something I've wanted to repeat, but these look like fun for the kids!
Did they have other Luau's at a discount?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did they have other Luau's at a discount?

No, she had other suggestions for activities (like island helicopter tours), but no discounts. The last time I went to the "Kauai orientation and activities presentation" at KBC, the tour companies offered discounted tickets at the talk. I even won the drawing for a free helicopter tour!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
To us the food and show were only so-so.

Next time have a couple more of those adult beverages they serve. I was DD, but the other three in our group said that the more they drank, the stronger they made them.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll look into Smith's luau.

Smith's is totally worth it.

Been to two: Smith's - Loved it. Hyatt on Maui - hated it , left early.

With Smith's, we ate in one area and then moved to the show in a 'performance' area. Great tiered seating for all. At the 'drums of the Pacific' at the Hyatt, You just stay at your table which was very uncomfortable with a lot of people having to turn their chairs around. Had people getting up/down all the time in front of you, well, you get the picture. So bad we just left and walked back to our room.

We now know to check on the 'logistics' of both the meal and show

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Been to two: Smith's - Loved it. Hyatt on Maui - hated it , left early.

With Smith's, we ate in one area and then moved to the show in a 'performance' area. Great tiered seating for all. At the 'drums of the Pacific' at the Hyatt, You just stay at your table which was very uncomfortable with a lot of people having to turn their chairs around. Had people getting up/down all the time in front of you, well, you get the picture. So bad we just left and walked back to our room.

We now know to check on the 'logistics' of both the meal and show

Your Hyatt experience was our Smith's experience.

When we went to Smith's some 6 or 7 years ago, the show was at the same location as the dining tables. Unfortunately my back faced the stage and we were also seated far from the stage. It was very difficult to watch the show. It was also extremely noisy and everyone at our table could not understand what was spoken on stage.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

When we went to Smith's some 6 or 7 years ago, the show was at the same location as the dining tables. Unfortunately my back faced the stage and we were also seated far from the stage. It was very difficult to watch the show. It was also extremely noisy and everyone at our table could not understand what was spoken on stage.

Again . . . not enough booze. :D

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, she had other suggestions for activities (like island helicopter tours), but no discounts. The last time I went to the "Kauai orientation and activities presentation" at KBC, the tour companies offered discounted tickets at the talk. I even won the drawing for a free helicopter tour!
The last time there we found pretty good discounts at the Aulii at the Sheraton, I'm surprised they didn't have anything. You might call Waiohai and ask the concierge there since that's close by.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

When we went to Smith's dinner was in one area then we moved to the amphitheater for the traditional luau, same as what Pathways says above. Is it possible you thought that once dinner was done, the whole thing was over?