• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to help In-laws manage their timeshare - Wyndham points

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been looking thru the forums for a little bit now and finally decided to join. I need some help in trying to manage my In-laws timeshare with them. They have had the timeshare for years starting out with two separate home resorts and then merging into one. here are the details.

Home resort : Daytona Beach Ocean Walk
Amount of points: 608,000
Monthly maintenance fees: $367.00
Yearly maintenance fees: $4404

So my In-laws will not use the timeshare unless my family or their other daughters family goes with them on vacation. Over the past 10 years I think we did 1 week in Daytona, 1 week in San Diego, 2 separate 1 week trips to Branson, 1 week to Las Vegas and maybe a small weekend trip or two.

As you can see, in 10 years and with that many points, a bunch is going to waste. They are constantly exchanging points to cover maintenance fees so they don't go to waste. I know the conversion factor is horrible.

Ideally, I would love for them to change to a different home resort so maintenance fees are substantially reduced but from reading on here, that's not that easy unless we buy something more from them. I have also suggested getting rid of it since i could easily book a few vacations for the same cost of the MF a year and not be locked to only Wyndham properties. They cant stomach the idea that it isn't worth much on the market and they basically wasted all that money.

Renting out is also not an option because they are scared of the liability if the renter destroyed the place.

So I guess I am asking for any suggestions on what you would do. Use Ovation and give up the timeshare?
Find a way to move resorts for a little but more money but less MF? ( I really don't want them to shell out and my money at all)
Just sit tight and pay the MF's?

Any suggestions are great. Thanks!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ovations or sit tight.

Whatever, stay FAR, FAR AWAY from Owner's Updates. Phone calls from anybody suggesting something is WRONG with your account .... RUN!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My advice? Go on more vacations with your in-laws. Make it a priority to go at least one week every year. Have their other daughters do the same. Problem solved!

That sounds flip, but it is the truth. I have not saved money buying timeshares---and I bought resale, for pennies on the dollar. Why not? Because I vacation much more often than I would have without them. The fact that they are use-it-or-lose-it is, in some ways, the best thing about timeshares, because it makes vacations more important.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
That’s very high maintenance

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are they still paying on a loan or is it all actually MF's?

Reaction score
Just MF. They have had this paid off for years now.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. Just going to have to weigh the options eventually.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi limechallenger!

Since you don't want to be locked in to Wyndham properties, perhaps you could trade through RCI instead. Wyndham comes with an RCI points membership so you may be able to find the greater resort flexibility you are seeking.

It looks like you have done a lot of vacationing with them already but I am still a +1 with bnoble - take more vacations if you can. My parents are now in their 80s and travel is no longer an option for them (my mother has Parkinson's). I look back ever so fondly on the trips we took - Hershey Park and Amish Country, Disneyworld with all of their grandchildren and several more. All of those were had with my RCI weeks account and I am ever so grateful for those wonderful memories. My now grown children, nieces and nephews still speak of those times spent with family.

Good luck with addressing and (hopefully) resolving the issues.

Best,
Judi

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
...I need some help in trying to manage my In-laws timeshare with them. They have had the timeshare for years ....

So my In-laws will not use the timeshare unless my family or their other daughters family goes with them on vacation......

Any suggestions are great. Thanks!

Your in-laws bought : in part to share vacation and family time with their children & grandchildren .

As bnoble & others said - go on vacations and create memories .

Here is one suggestion - book 2 weeks - same location in the largest unit available
then have family members work their available time into that block of time .

1) this will use points that appear to be going to waste .
2) I assume your wife’s parents are retired & 2 weeks is no problem for them
3) flexibility for everyone else allows maximizing price savings for flights if needed.
4)largest unit means more space & privacy for everyone .

Use what they bought NOW / you know of the Ovation option for latter - if needed .

We have booked back to back weeks in Puerto Vallarta in Feb when Canada is cold .
It works for us AND has allowed our 30-something unmarried sons to join us for part of that time . They have come on Tues. / left the following Thurs. etc - based on cheaper airline midweek tickets and available vacation time.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some help in trying to manage my In-laws timeshare with them.
Are there Wyndham or RCI resorts within an hour or two drive from where you and their other daughter live?

Your in-laws can reserve time at these resorts, travel to these resorts and your family can join them at minimal time and travel costs. The other daughter can do the same for a resort local to them. Then plan trips to remote vacation locations, California, Florida, every 3-4 years.

The main question to answer is, "Why aren't you vacationing with your in-laws?" You wrote that you "could easily book a few vacations for the same cost of the MF a year." But would you? If those barriers are not going to change, there is no reason to own the timeshare. Using the points to pay maintenance fees is just sending good money after bad, and the best thing to do if this is the case is to turn it back to Wyndham through Ovation.

Reaction score
I really do appreciate all of the replies. I am actually on a vacation with them in Branson right now thru the timeshare with Wyndham. I will give a better reply in a few days after I get back but did want everyone to know I appreciate the feedback.