• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

West Maui in late August?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a confirmed exchange at Westin Nanea 2 bdr for the last week of August 2020. We are having second thoughts though, is it going to be too hot and crowded? The alternative for us would be to go late November/ early December. Which one would you prefer and why?

We live on the East cost so Hawaii is not very accessible for us, we want to get it "right" since we will not go there more than every 4-5 years.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We've never been in August, but have been in June/July. The weather will be a little warmer and a little more humid than in the winter months (when we tend to go now), but the heat/humidity in Hawaii is never as bad as it is on the east coast (at least here in the southeast!). I've heard folks from the west complain about July/August heat/humidity in Hawaii, but they don't know what humidity really is!

The temps in Hawaii don't really vary all that much from summer to winter. When we were there in March, high temps ranged from around 80 to 85. The next 10 days in Lahaina the forecast high temps range from 88-90, with dry conditions. Hawaii can get close approaches from tropical storms/hurricanes in late August, but that's hard to predict. Usually those are not an issue, but can be on occasion.

We've been a couple of times in mid-late November, and have tended to have a few more cloudy/rainy days then. Here is the average temperatures and rainfall for all 12 months:

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 2.44.38 PM.png

As you can see, Lahaina average temperature varies by only 6 degrees from month-to-month, but November and December are two of the rainiest months. If my choices were August or Nov/Dec, I would do August - drier but not all that much hotter.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We own in Kihei late August. We haven't been back at that time of year in a long time, we prefer to trade our week into some time in March. The last time we were on Maui (and then the Big Island) at the end of August it was HOT! I think it was an unusual time for Hawaii. But we swore after that trip we wouldn't go back at that time of year again.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yes, it will be warmer in August but we have been a number of times in late Nov/early Dec. and some years it was gorgeous, but in some years we had quite a bit of rain. 2016 was especially rainy. Since you don't plan on visiting every year, I would personally choose the month more likely to have better weather. Nanea has a/c so you can get out of the heat any time that you want. It will probably be too hot for hiking, but perfect for snorkeling.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
We usually go late Aug/early Sep and it's hot and humid but never seems too hot/humid. One thing to consider, if you do go late Nov you'd be looking at almost 2h/day less daylight and the sun will be set before 6pm.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be our third year going in August and early September, and we haven't had any issues. As mentioned above, there isn't that much difference in temperature year round. We've also been in January, February and October. I enjoy Hawaii year round. The only time I enjoy it a little less is during the summer crowds. Weather is usually nice, with maybe some rain now and then.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, we will keep our late August exchange

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
We have a confirmed exchange at Westin Nanea 2 bdr for the last week of August 2020. We are having second thoughts though, is it going to be too hot and crowded? The alternative for us would be to go late November/ early December. Which one would you prefer and why?

We live on the East cost so Hawaii is not very accessible for us, we want to get it "right" since we will not go there more than every 4-5 years.

How did you get an exchange so early? I thought the earliest you can book as an owner is 12 months out. Do they allow exchanges at 13 months out?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you get an exchange so early? I thought the earliest you can book as an owner is 12 months out. Do they allow exchanges at 13 months out?
Interval Exchange.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The biggest issue for enjoying the weather in Hawaii is the Trade Winds. They are totally unpredictable. During a 3 week trip to Kihei a couple years ago in October the Trade Winds died for 3 days. It was miserable.

taffy19

Reaction score
The biggest issue for enjoying the weather in Hawaii is the Trade Winds. They are totally unpredictable. During a 3 week trip to Kihei a couple years ago in October the Trade Winds died for 3 days. It was miserable.
So true. We experienced it once in Kauai in September and that lasted several weeks according to the locals who live there.

It also happens on the other islands even in the spring. You just never know and the weather changes so quickly and even only a few miles away.

We have never been in HI during July and August yet. The ocean water should be nice! :)

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Interval Exchange.

Yes, I understand that, but I didn't realize that VSE apparently allows internal exchanges to book ahead even farther than owners? That doesn't seem right.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thank you everyone, we will keep our late August exchange

Good choice. I’ve been there several times over the holiday weekend and it’s not as bad as I once feared. You’ll enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, I understand that, but I didn't realize that VSE apparently allows internal exchanges to book ahead even farther than owners? That doesn't seem right.

It’s been this way for many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not?

The developer owns weeks there and is entitled to rent/use them as they see fit.

What would be the alternative? That they wait until the booking window opens and snag each week individually? Or worse take all the summer weeks since they could theoretically reserve right at midnight like everyone else?

I assume they take a proportionate selection of each week in the year based on what they own. Them taking their weeks early doesnt impact what would be available to owners IMHO.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk