• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Samuel Clemens Did Not Say

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Samuel Clemens said many fine and humorous things. However there are lots of quotes attributed to Samuel Clemens that he never said. Or that he was not the first.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. (Agatha Christie)

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt. (Galileo, Franklin, or Lincoln)

If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter. (Blaise Pascal)

Never let schooling interfere with you education. (Grant Allen)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. (Mother of H. Jackson Brown)

Go to Heaven for the Climate. Hell for the Company. (Ben Wade in 1880's)

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. (Some credit Oscar Wilde but it has been retraced back to the 14th Century)

The coldest Winter I ever experienced was a Summer in San Francisco.

Calling Waimea Canyon the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. (It is doubtful that he ever saw Waimea Canyon.)

Samuel Clemens Did say something along the line: "There are lies, d**m lies, and statistics.

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Samuel Clemens said many fine and humorous things. However there are lots of quotes attributed to Samuel Clemens that he never said. Or that he was not the first.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. (Agatha Christie)

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and remove all doubt. (Galileo, Franklin, or Lincoln)

If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter. (Blaise Pascal)

Never let schooling interfere with you education. (Grant Allen)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. (Mother of H. Jackson Brown)

Go to Heaven for the Climate. Hell for the Company. (Ben Wade in 1880's)

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. (Some credit Oscar Wilde but it has been retraced back to the 14th Century)

The coldest Winter I ever experienced was a Summer in San Francisco.

Calling Waimea Canyon the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. (It is doubtful that he ever saw Waimea Canyon.)

Samuel Clemens Did say something along the line: "There are lies, d**m lies, and statistics.

It’s not at all doubtful that he saw Waimea Canyon. He did spend time in Hawaii as a reporter/correspondent before he became famous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
my favorite: “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in 7 years.”

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While the final part of Roughing It describes his time exploring Hawaii, he never mentions anything about seeing a canyon that would fit the description of Waimea Canyon. It appears that he spent most of his time on Oahu although he describes at length making a trip to the big island in order to see the volcano.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I would have sworn the comment about summer in San Francisco was his. Every time we are in that area during the summer, as Cliff is shivering jacket-less because his wife didn’t remember to remind him to bring one, we think of it.