• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there ANY advantage to buying a small amt of trust pts as a legacy owner enrolled in Dest. Prog?

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Salesman can’t confirm that by buying trust pts that I there is TRULY any additional inventory vs what I already see. Also they couldn’t confirm once I use the small allotment of pts I buy that my “increased” inventory wouldn’t just return to what it was. Thoughts?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Salesman can’t confirm that by buying trust pts that I there is TRULY any additional inventory vs what I already see. Also they couldn’t confirm once I use the small allotment of pts I buy that my “increased” inventory wouldn’t just return to what it was. Thoughts?

This is not clear to me, but you can see the same inventory with trust and legacy points.

Reactions: jin

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I bought a small amount of Trust Points because there is a specific property (Ritz Carlton St. Thomas) where I have seen multiple instances where it required a percentage of the reservation to be Trust Points. I do not know if that was an error, but I became convinced that for that specific property, there was a benefit to owning Trust Points. So I bought a small number of Trust Points. I have never seen any other property where I had difficulty making a reservation with 100% Elected Points.

I really think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you have any enrolled weeks? If so, renting points is preferable (IMO) to buying Trust Points. Can you tell us a little more about your goals?

Best,

Greg

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT

None!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
I bought a small amount of Trust Points because there is a specific property (Ritz Carlton St. Thomas) where I have seen multiple instances where it required a percentage of the reservation to be Trust Points. I do not know if that was an error, but I became convinced that for that specific property, there was a benefit to owning Trust Points. So I bought a small number of Trust Points. I have never seen any other property where I had difficulty making a reservation with 100% Elected Points.

I really think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you have any enrolled weeks? If so, renting points is preferable (IMO) to buying Trust Points. Can you tell us a little more about your goals?

Best,

Greg

That was true years ago, but no longer.

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Best,

Greg
Hi Greg,
I have 4 Legacy weeks enrolled totaling just over 10000 Destination Points. My goal is to have MAXIMUM flexibility in terms of availability within the system for ALL current and future properties added to the trust. I was hoping you responded as I thought you had a similar dilemma and had elected to buy some trust points. If I add a few “rented” trust points to my account each yr is that the equivalent of buying say a 1000 trust points in terms of “added benefit”? Do I lose any “added” benefit once the rented trust points are used up? Can I specify whether the rented trust points or legacy converted trust points get used first, or does it even make a difference?

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was true years ago, but no longer.

They are trying to tell me I won’t have access to the new properties added to the trust if I don’t buy some “pure” trust points, though I don’t buy this....

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

They are trying to tell me I won’t have access to the new properties added to the trust if I don’t buy some “pure” trust points, though I don’t buy this....
Theoretically there is a chance of a small difference but in reality there should be no real difference in practice. I wouldn't buy unless something changed if this were the only reason to buy.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:

You’re right, it’s BS

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You’re right, it’s BS

Have you tried making a reservation at Marriott's Waikoloa Ocean Club in Hawaii with enrolled points? This is a trust resort, so if they accept 100% enrolled points there then one would assume they would be accepted at ANY Marriott Resort.

I don't know the true answer to this question but I thought I would throw it out there in case someone wants to take the time to test this theory out and post the results.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried making a reservation at Marriott's Waikoloa Ocean Club in Hawaii with enrolled points? This is a trust resort, so if they accept 100% enrolled points there then one would assume they would be accepted at ANY Marriott Resort.

I don't know the true answer to this question but I thought I would throw it out there in case someone wants to take the time to test this theory out and post the results.

It's wide open for Dec using enrolled points but I don't think that means anything since anytime a trust owner takes time from the weeks side where an enrolled owner has taken points, an equivalent amount of access would be available to the DC side from the trust inventory.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As SeaDoc said, the “you gotta have Trust points” is a sales spin that has been in play for as long as we have been MVC owners. All evidence suggests it is BS.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I had the whole trust points vs enrolled points nonsense put to rest when I had Marriott put it in writing that there was no difference between the points. I was working with corporate on buying two weeks and while in negotiations with them I was at Ko Olina and a salesman tried to tell me I would not have access to trust properties. Corporate at my request put it in writing for me to even consider buying and the salesman apologized to me because he was “misinformed “.

Reactions: jme

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:

Funny you should ask, I’m using my enrolled points to spend two weeks in a two bedroom oceanfront next year at waikaloa. I own 20000 enrolled points, NO trust points and never will!