• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Life with a retired engineer

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
image.jpeg
So we're having lunch at a neighborhood restaurant called Hawaiian Bakery. As the name implies their specialty is Hawaiian style food. I assume they ship their bread products all over so you may have had their bread and rolls. Mister Engineer starts disparaging (to me) the size of the beer bottle saying there is no way that is a 12 oz bottle. I tell him my iced tea is in the same size glass I just watched him pour his beer into, and it sure looks like 12 oz to me. On and on he bitches, and has to order a second bottle just to grumble some more. So he then dries the first bottle out with his napkin and has me shove it in my purse while he bets me a nickel the bottle does not hold 12 oz. Arrive home and I settle into my favorite chair in our bedroom with the fan blowing full blast on me. Shortly thereafter Cliff arrives with the glass measuring cup and a beer bottle full of water. As you can see from the photo I won the nickel bet, except that he says I have to go recycle the bottle to get my nickel! At least the lunch table was level and I didn't have to hear the dissertation on how rotating the table, with three legs touching, I'm guaranteed to have the fourth leg find a spot to make it level, complete with napkin drawings!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I can relate, I play golf with several retired engineers.

One cornered me the other day. Hey, you are a computer guy, what do you think about this - I’ve reloaded Windows, Microsoft Office, and my printer drivers. I have a spreadsheet that I set to print centered on the page and its offset, wont print centered. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft support and they gave up!

I asked him how much it was off by, oh at least a quarter inch! Doh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 13055 So we're having lunch at a neighborhood restaurant called Hawaiian Bakery. As the name implies their specialty is Hawaiian style food. I assume they ship their bread products all over so you may have had their bread and rolls. Mister Engineer starts disparaging (to me) the size of the beer bottle saying there is no way that is a 12 oz bottle. I tell him my iced tea is in the same size glass I just watched him pour his beer into, and it sure looks like 12 oz to me. On and on he bitches, and has to order a second bottle just to grumble some more. So he then dries the first bottle out with his napkin and has me shove it in my purse while he bets me a nickel the bottle does not hold 12 oz. Arrive home and I settle into my favorite chair in our bedroom with the fan blowing full blast on me. Shortly thereafter Cliff arrives with the glass measuring cup and a beer bottle full of water. As you can see from the photo I won the nickel bet, except that he says I have to go recycle the bottle to get my nickel! At least the lunch table was level and I didn't have to hear the dissertation on how rotating the table, with three legs touching, I'm guaranteed to have the fourth leg find a spot to make it level, complete with napkin drawings!

I'm going to have to get out some graph paper and prove the thing about the table legs!

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
My best friend is married to an engineer. I love her to pieces...she is the kindest person in the whole world.

He loves her very much and is very protective of her gentle nature.

I think they found the right partner in each other....and she accepts his "engineeringess"

I think you have also....thanks for my laugh of the day.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineer. It's fun in a sales presentation when I show up with a leather folio, with graph paper, and during the presentation I start writing down all of their numbers and making a cash flow table.

It makes a nice guaranteed out. I can always say - "ok - let me take the information and do a cash flow analysis to see how the rate of return comes out. If they start the hard push for a decision right now, I can be clear that I won't do anything until I do a financial analysis - and I add that if someone were asking them to make the same financial commitment they are asking of me, would they not want to do a financial analysis?"

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I AM one of the retired engineers of whom you speak. We know how much you love and appreciate us always, but especially whenever we pull off a little of our magic.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I'm a married to a retired engineer. I'm chuckling over the above posts of graph paper, spreadsheets, financial analysis, etc. My husband didn't exactly propose to me. He began by handing me a brochure of Orange Blossom diamond rings, a widely advertised brand, at that time, in magazines and many a girl's dream. Then he sat at his desk across the room, pulled out his column ledger and began explaining how we would get him through the rest of his college years and following his, mine. In addition to his scholarship, I was to work and help put him through. He never asked. He just assumed. We'd only known each other a little over a month, and only dated two nights a week at that. The man had a plan. Oh, and I never got that Orange Blossom diamond ring, though I did get an "engagement" ring on our 24th anniversary.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So we're having lunch at a neighborhood restaurant called Hawaiian Bakery...

What my DW said when I retired: "I married you for better or for worse, but not for lunch." ;)
We've actually had many lunches, but since I elected inactive status, I leave it at the door.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Your husband is my hero. I'm not really an engineer, but I've had a 47 year career in IT and computer work, so I speak "engineer" by inference. I get how they think (mostly) and I can relate. I completely understand that if it doesn't fit, redesign the space around it. Words and numbers connect in my head in a way I can't explain, and not all of it is pleasant. LOL!

I try to listen to the voices in my head, but it's crowded in here! LOL! :D

Dave