• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frustrated with my ads on Redweek. I am getting grouchier about cheapskates in my old age

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I tried renting for the first time this year for 2 weeks next year and advertised on TUG and Redweek. I rented them out through Redweek within a month, and no enquiries from TUG. My husband encouraged me to continue to rent out our weeks next week and I told him that I wouldn't be doing that. Rental is not my cup of tea.

Sounds like it worked for you. This thread is all about RedWeek.com NOT working for them -- but you did very well.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I think a person inquiring about a rental can see if the owner of the listing is willing to haggle (if they ask politely,) and then I think a landlord can politely turn them down. And then the inquirer can decided whether to move forward or not.

It's like anything else that requires positive consent on both sides. One can certainly ask--civilly, politely--and then needs to accept when no means no. :)

Make me an offer. Don't ask "What's your best price?" I tend to respond with something like, "My price must have been the best price you could find or you wouldn't have contacted me."

And, don't tell me about that air fare is so high and my price exceeds your budget.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think a person inquiring about a rental can see if the owner of the listing is willing to haggle (if they ask politely,) and then I think a landlord can politely turn them down. And then the inquirer can decided whether to move forward or not.

It's like anything else that requires positive consent on both sides. One can certainly ask--civilly, politely--and then needs to accept when no means no. :)

How much of a discount do you ask for?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How about caring for other people and not just yourself.

So, we're supposed to be charities? "Gee, I'm really sorry I asked for money. Here! Just take it."

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I get a lot of low ball offers and I actually don't mind. I just politely respond with a "no".

Same here . . . it's just what one has to do to slow the bleeding, and, after 10 years, got done what needed to be done.

I don't normally hear from most impolite people again because they never hear from me.

It's not that hard to tell a deal is not going to happen.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
How about caring for other people and not just yourself.
I have cared for other people and gotten burned. No good dead goes unpunished. Lesson learned.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
This is a pretty interesting thread to understand perspective from both sides. I feel like the Redweek platform encourages low ball offers using the language "make an offer". It's not a firm price shown like on a hotel website.

Whenever I upgrade my phone, I sell the old one on Craigslist. It's amusing to me how many people send low ball offers since I don't do it often but I can see how it could get annoying if you do it on a regular basis.

Cindy, I will be curious to hear how you deal with this and come out ahead. I'm pretty sure you will given the amazing TS strategies you have used. This is a minor puzzle compared to that.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I only get frustrated when I know someone is getting a good deal (perhaps $100-400 less than other comparables) and they still try to knock me down another $100 or more. If it is way in advance I will stick my guns. If we are getting closer to the date and I know they can't do it for any less I might knock it down $10.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I've always said a good deal is being able to use ones timeshare at your cost for a vacation if I'm looking. Everybody involved would be happy.
As owners we thought it was a good price saving money for vacations.
I will take advantage of a great deal like anybody else.

I'm not going to loose money on any rental I provide, not paying for anybody's vacation but my own. (except my family or friends)
As a points owner I have the luxury of getting PT's back and regrouping. Week owners are not so lucky and desperate measures take place.

I think the "Rude" part plays a factor. One can ask, and the other can say no and go on your way and no one is upset.
Just like the parking passes & updates.

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Repeatingly calling and email me to give them a 2 BR July 4th week in Hilton Hawaiian Village for $700 is rude in my books.

I said NO, but they did not like that answer. My price was $1400. When I stopped answer their phone calls, they started to call me from other phone numbers. I did not answer their emails, but they kept emailing anyway. They would not take NO for my answer, they told me they get units for that price ALL the TIME. I told them good for them but they were NOT getting it from me. That is rude behavior in my book.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Repeatingly calling and email me to give them a 2 BR July 4th week in Hilton Hawaiian Village for $700 is rude in my books.

I said NO, but they did not like that answer. My price was $1400. When I stopped answer their phone calls, they started to call me from other phone numbers. I did not answer their emails, but they kept emailing anyway. They would not take NO for my answer, they told me they get units for that price ALL the TIME. I told them good for them but they were NOT getting it from me. That is rude behavior in my book.

At the point of getting phone calls from different phone numbers and multiple emails, my Spidey sense would start detecting a scam in the making. Don't know how scams work in the timeshare rental world, but in the eBay world multiple contacts have all the earmarks of a thief trying to set you up.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I always reply that I always rent out my weeks because they are priced correctly so I don’t have to discount. I have never had a week go I rented yet in 8 years. I have many repeats also.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Interesting discussion, thx.
I am trying to rent out my 2020 unit for the first time, and have it posted on Redweek. So far no inquiries, but it might be too early and price is too high. Can always come down LOL. I too have an alternate plan if it doesn't rent.

Has anyone used Nextdoor to post rental ads? I know the audience is limited to the area you live in. But it's free and I'm in a metro area . I'm gonna post ad as it gets closer to start of school year.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried renting for the first time this year for 2 weeks next year and advertised on TUG and Redweek. I rented them out through Redweek within a month, and no enquiries from TUG. My husband encouraged me to continue to rent out our weeks next week and I told him that I wouldn't be doing that. Rental is not my cup of tea.
Judging by the few "rented" banners on the site, I would say that a majority of listings expire without any success. I know that some owners do not price them right but even many of the competitive ones go unrented. IMO Redweek should do a bit more to advertise the site and make the process easier for the potential renters

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Judging by the few "rented" banners on the site, I would say that a majority of listings expire without any success. I know that some owners do not price them right but even many of the competitive ones go unrented.
I wanted to rent out a year ahead because if I didn't get my weeks rented within a couple of months, I could elect Marriott VC/DC points by October 31st or deposit into II. I was not going to let it go past Aug/Sep and since I am impatient, when I want my weeks rented, they will need to go within a month. :)

My renter did lowball me with what she paid for the previous year and I told her that would not even cover my MF. I was patient and flexible with her. Then at one point she said she only wanted one week and I said I was renting out all two weeks and wished her all the best. 2 weeks later she came back said she wanted both weeks.

My terms were payment in full with no refunds.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Interesting discussion, thx.
I am trying to rent out my 2020 unit for the first time, and have it posted on Redweek. So far no inquiries, but it might be too early and price is too high. Can always come down LOL. I too have an alternate plan if it doesn't rent.

Has anyone used Nextdoor to post rental ads? I know the audience is limited to the area you live in. But it's free and I'm in a metro area . I'm gonna post ad as it gets closer to start of school year.

Some here don't like to deal with the little negatives of craigslist, but they are manageable and easy to spot. The price is also right, and I sense CL reaches a very large market.

Probably since CL began, I have found it effective for whatever I need to use it for, renting, selling or buying.

Have you looked at craigslist for your resort area?

PS: It's hard to negotiate a mutually-agreeable deal without an offer, lowball or otherwise. Most sellers assume the price will wind up being lower than they advertise and most buyers assume the same thing, unless the wording says FIRM! But, keep in mind that if you advertise in such an all-or-none method, none is a likely outcome. Even poor responses are better than no responses.

I advertised a one-of-a-kind item on CL for $120K for years, and got about what you would expect, curiosity seekers. I dropped it to $90K and got what you could tell were serious prospects. A person that had responded to the $120K ad two years before, offered $50K to the $90K ad, and we did the deal at $75K.

Happies all around.

Discounted vacation lodging is highly competitive on the Internet.

So, with that in mind, if you need $800, advertise for $900 or $1000. If you're too high, you'll know it soon enough. I used to start at maintenance fee, reduce it at 90 days out, 60 days out and 30 days out, and over the years pretty much found out what I was going to get.

All that being said, yeah $1800 for two jetskis on a double trailer from Adam.dubek in the Utah National Guard because he is being deployed and just doesn't want them sitting around collecting dust is not something I need to pursue.

:D

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy, that is part of the reason I got out of owning timeshares. The main reason was that my travel preferences changed, but I had one that I wanted to keep, but didn't because I knew I wouldn't want to deal with renting it out over the next few years that I couldn't use it.

And as far as this one goes:
Sounds like they have a personality disorder. So glad that you didn't rent to them! Even if they paid full price, they would have been a major PITA.

That's the other side of the lowball offers. They are usually the most time consuming needy people. Ugh. I know hate is a strong word, but it's what comes to mind when I think about people like that.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has reached the point of ridiculousness. A room for average of $75 a night is too high??? Near Disney?

I am a Marriott Rewards member (now Bonvoy) and received a nice email telling me that due to my affiliation and long standing loyalty, I would qualify for some very special rates. . . I could rent a HOTEL ROOM for as little as $125 a night during the remainder of summer time (not a weekend night, and not at popular locations, and not including taxes). So . . . the hotel industry recognizes that $125 a night for a room is a great deal, but our timeshare rental business customers feel that $75 for a CONDO is too high. Unfortunately, we have no one to blame but ourselves. As owners we have constantly underbid each other in an effort to sell a room. The customer base has grown accustomed to this and greedily look for the owners who are "stuck" and have no option but to sell the room for whatever they can get, even if it is less than their net cost (especially when you factor in the ad cost for RedWeek, guest name fee, and the PayPal fees).

We have the same shark mentality here on TUG, and it is wearing on me as well. Someone posted that they need a "two bedroom unit at Bonnet Creek for a certain week during summer time." And guess what, I found it, and was able to get it at the 60 day discount with a free upgrade from a one bedroom deluxe. I booked it and invoiced the poster for the allowed rate (which basically allows me to make $75 as my MFs are higher than most as I own a bunch of Royal Vista and Bonnet Creek). I wait on the poster to pay, and she delays and ultimately decides to cancel because someone on TUG privately offered it to her for $25 less. Of course this was after I had numerous emails back and forth with the poster wanting different date variables, and potential cost savers (she was NOT interested in staying anywhere except Bonnet Creek, even though Star Island was cheaper). Basically, I provided her with free education as to how the time share rental business operates.

That irritated me, but I guess I really should not be. My approach is along the lines of an outdated morality, a verbal (or digital) handshake should count for something, but it does not. So, I simply canceled the PayPal invoice and add this to the long list of lessons learned. I am less likely to try to help someone looking for great deal, because that is not really what they want, they want it cheaper than anyone else will offer and no honor exists or should be anticipated.

It is amazing that the potential renters all seem to have the same story - "yes I know it is a really good deal you are offering, but airfare is higher than I thought, and it was more expensive to rent a BMW convertible than I thought, and our Seven Day Disney pass is very expensive, so I need you as the timeshare owner to lower the cost to almost free for me to afford my vacation."

I do share the reaction that I would rather be stuck with the room than accept someone's obscene low ball offer. Perhaps that is a personality flaw, but I actually feel better to eat a reservation than to promote that type of customer. Maybe I am missing something, but I fail to see the connection between our buying resale timeshare contracts and why we need to accept low ball offers from potential renters. Our costs as TS owners is more closely linked to the maintenance fees than it is to our purchase price. I do not even factor into my costs the "buy in" costs for the timeshare contracts, be it resale or developer purchased. I figure that is a cost that is lost at the time of purchase. Not a related component.

Just one man's rambling thoughts. . . .

Wes

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It has reached the point of ridiculousness. A room for average of $75 a night is too high??? Near Disney?

Could be.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/d/vacation-rentals/search/vac

https://orlando.craigslist.org/vac/d/kissimmee-fantastic-4-bedroom-pool-home/6939435493.html

I feel your pain . . . but when you look at the facts, there's lots of listings that are pretty low.

When we advertise our own rentals, we have to be competitive with what everyone is seeing. That's why I said before that vacation rentals on the Internet are highly competitive, and when you look at an overbuilt area like Orlando, with a glut of owners just trying to slow down the bleeding, it's even worse.

I fear there's a chasm between what we have been led to believe accommodations are worth by the TS industry and what they are actually available to the general public for.

But it is generally true that we, as owners, and we, as an industry, are beating ourselves up.

Rhetorical question . . . if you are faced with buying a timeshare for $20,000, and a $1000 annual fee, or rent a four-bedroom 2900 square-foot pool house for $90/night, what would most people do?

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have rented quite a few on Redweek with great success, but I have several ads on RW, and some things just never rent, including Hono Koa, even when I have a week during whale season, and I tell people that you can whale watch from the lanai.

I wish I could stay at Hono Koa for three weeks sometime. We have an old cat that we cannot leave for that long. His brother is already gone.

People don't read the text of the ads. Reading comprehension, people!

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rhetorical question . . . if you are faced with buying a timeshare for $20,000, and a $1000 annual fee, or rent a four-bedroom 2900 square-foot pool house for $90/night, what would most people do?[/QUOTE]

Good question, although the $90 a night in most cases has add-on costs, i.e. cleaning fees, etc. that markedly move the price higher if it is booked through the traditional owner vacation property websites (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.).