• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We purchased at Marriott Grand Chateau....now what?

AnnieBannie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently purchased our timeshare at MGC in Vegas off of Ebay. All Closing Costs and Resort Transfer fees are being paid by Seller and Express Closing Firm has been handling the details of the sale. It passed ROFR on June 19th, and I read on the ad that it can take 90 to 180 days to close. The last we heard was that the closing package was sent to the resort on July 2nd. I am just wondering what happens now? Will we hear something from the resort in a couple of months, sooner, or just before we need to pay the maintenance fees in January? Thanks in advance!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We recently purchased our timeshare at MGC in Vegas off of Ebay..........It passed ROFR on June 19th, .............. I am just wondering what happens now ...!

Congratulations .

Now - you can start reading lots of TUG Marriott forum threads .

You may wish to post what size unit etc - so that other Marriott owners can add additional “best use”. information .

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Congrats on your purchase of a resale week and passing ROFR. That is the most cost-effective approach to enter Marriott timeshare ownership as a 'weeks owner'. Marriott basically has 2 types of owners - weeks owners and points owners. These are the 2 'products' that Marriott has directly sold in the past (weeks) and what they generally sell today (points). Which is better is subjective and determined by what gets an individual owner what is important to them. Moving on, then.

First questions I can think to ask about your weeks purchase are,

1. What is your first available use year - 2019 or 2020?
2. Is it an annual ownership week or every other year (EOY) week?
3. Has a reservation already been made for the initial use year - 2019 or 2020 by the seller? If not, I would contact Owner Services as soon as you receive your new owner welcome packet to make and/or change the initial reservation to what/when you want it. If you want to deposit the reservation with II to exchange elsewhere, you will need to get the reservation number to provide to Interval International.
4. Research TUG. I would start with the Marriott Stickies at the top of this forum. You can also use key words like MGC or Grand Chateau to search here in the Marriott Forum to learn more about property specific information or other terms like II or Interval or exchanges to find topic specific information. The search box is in the upper right corner of your screen when you log in. It appears below your user name.

Lastly, welcome. You will find many experienced Marriott owners here on TUG that are happy to share their experience and wisdom to help you get the most out of your timeshare ownership.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently purchased our timeshare at MGC in Vegas off of Ebay. All Closing Costs and Resort Transfer fees are being paid by Seller and Express Closing Firm has been handling the details of the sale. It passed ROFR on June 19th, and I read on the ad that it can take 90 to 180 days to close. The last we heard was that the closing package was sent to the resort on July 2nd. I am just wondering what happens now? Will we hear something from the resort in a couple of months, sooner, or just before we need to pay the maintenance fees in January? Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your successful purchase of MGC. Did you buy a Villa that has use every year or every other year?
Is it a two bedroom or three bedroom? At what price did it pass the ROFR process?

Welcome aboard the world of Timesharing with your Marriott purchase :cheer:

AnnieBannie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, we are very excited, but nervous as well.
We purchased a 2 bedroom/2 bath, first year usage is 2020, and it is Annual Platinum. We had tried purchasing several times but none of our offers passed ROFR. On advice from other TUG members, we kept trying and were successful on this one. Purchase price was less than $1000 and was actually our lowest offer of the several purchase attempts. I would love to hear tips from other owners. I am wondering when I can expect the owner package? Also, if we are visiting Las Vegas before 2020, do you think it is possible to go take a look around Grand Chateau (pools, units, etc) since I am a owner now?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We purchased a 2 bedroom/2 bath, first year usage is 2020, and it is Annual Platinum. We had tried purchasing several times but none of our offers passed ROFR. On advice from other TUG members, we kept trying and were successful on this one. Purchase price was less than $1000 and was actually our lowest offer of the several purchase attempts. I would love to hear tips from other owners. I am wondering when I can expect the owner package? Also, if we are visiting Las Vegas before 2020, do you think it is possible to go take a look around Grand Chateau (pools, units, etc) since I am a owner now?

Absolutely, you can visit the resort. Some properties even have 'day-use' privileges for owners not currently staying there. If Grand Chateau offers this (others can advise or you can ask if you go ahead of an actual stay), it generally means access to use the fitness center, pool, and other similar amenities.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I also bought an MGC week recently. Paperwork was sent in late May. I got my welcome email on July 10. I was able to create an online login using the owner number in the email. I made a reservation for next year for a 135 TDI week and deposited to Interval. I traded the studio portion to a 2 BR unit at Marriott St. Kitts and I have an OGS using the 1 BR portion for summer beach and winter ski weeks.

Hope you enjoy your membership.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nice buy. Enjoy your use and trades!

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you receive your owner information, you will log in to
https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/
Think about what week you wish to reserve. Are you planning to reserve for your own use, or to exchange or rent out? You may reserve the 1br side for one week and the studio side for a different week.
You may also reserve the entire 2br unit in a lock-off villa, and then ask Marriott to lock off the two parts.
If depositing to II, the week is valid until 2 years after the check-in date.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Marriott’s now sit back and plan your vacations.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Can GC be lockoff to 2 1br units? Or it is another Marriott resort somewhere? I remember I saw it before GC can be split into 2 1br?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Can GC be lockoff to 2 1br units? Or it is another Marriott resort somewhere? I remember I saw it before GC can be split into 2 1br?
I believe 3br can be locked off into a 2br + 1br.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
No. The 2BR LO is a 1BR and studio; the 3BR LO is a 2BR and 1BR. I'm unaware of any Marriott 2BR LO that gets 2 1BR units. It may exist, but I'm unaware.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
F91B4025-4FC9-4D31-97AE-5399D59B1474.png
No. The 2BR LO is a 1BR and studio; the 3BR LO is a 2BR and 1BR. I'm unaware of any Marriott 2BR LO that gets 2 1BR units. It may exist, but I'm unaware.
This is the 2 BR LO with the Master Suite on the left and the Guest Suite on the right.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Deluxe units at Shadow Ridge Enclaves gets counted as two 1BR. I don't think any at Lakeshore do but that's the only one that comes to mind as a possibility. And I think the 3 BR is the only one that is counted as a 2 BR plus a 1 BR though I don't have a lot of knowledge of the European and Asia options.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the eyes of II for trading purposes, that 2BR is a 1BR and a studio/efficiency when locked off.
I am sure you are right, but I have frequently exchanged our Grand Chateau “studio/efficiency” through Interval for 2BR and even 3BR units at other MVC resorts.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I think the Deluxe units at Shadow Ridge Enclaves gets counted as two 1BR. I don't think any at Lakeshore do but that's the only one that comes to mind as a possibility. And I think the 3 BR is the only one that is counted as a 2 BR plus a 1 BR though I don't have a lot of knowledge of the European and Asia options.

This was on sale recently. I even tried to get it for $2k but failed as it went for $3600. I realized at that price it is not a cost effective trader.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARRIOTT-S...ERT-CA-2-BEDROOM-PLATINUM-SEASON/293113324275

MGC 2 BR is much lower cost so I'm sticking to it (for now).

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I am sure you are right, but I have frequently exchanged our Grand Chateau “studio/efficiency” through Interval for 2BR and even 3BR units at other MVC resorts.
Yep. No debating the superb trading power and affordable MFs...it's why I own there as well.
My initial post was letting pchung6 know MGC 2BR LOs do not lockoff into 2 1BR units.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was on sale recently. I even tried to get it for $2k but failed as it went for $3600. I realized at that price it is not a cost effective trader.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARRIOTT-S...ERT-CA-2-BEDROOM-PLATINUM-SEASON/293113324275

MGC 2 BR is much lower cost so I'm sticking to it (for now).
It depends on the needs and situation. One could debate it either way. While it's maybe $2500 greater than one would pay for LV and the fees are roughly $250 a year more, it definitely has some appeal. It will trade better, rent better and one would make up almost 1/2 the difference if locking off and trading up in unit size. IMO the closest comparison for trading purposes is Willow Ridge and there are plusses and minuses there, esp if comparing 2 BR. Willow Ridge can be had a little cheaper, has slightly lower dues and trades roughly the same as well as having a Thursday start day of the week making it ideal use for 13 month reservations. GC has a much longer Platinum range, has the 3 BR option and if one enrolls later, has a much better points profile. For trading purposes I tend to group Manor Club, GV, HL, GC & WR Platinum plus the desert resorts Gold but given where prices can be I think the desert Platinum resorts can be great crossover options. The main caution there is DSV fees are a little higher, likely enough to matter.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
It depends on the needs and situation. One could debate it either way. While it's maybe $2500 greater than one would pay for LV and the fees are roughly $250 a year more, it definitely has some appeal. It will trade better, rent better and one would make up almost 1/2 the difference if locking off and trading up in unit size. IMO the closest comparison for trading purposes is Willow Ridge and there are plusses and minuses there, esp if comparing 2 BR. Willow Ridge can be had a little cheaper, has slightly lower dues and trades roughly the same as well as having a Thursday start day of the week making it ideal use for 13 month reservations. GC has a much longer Platinum range, has the 3 BR option and if one enrolls later, has a much better points profile. For trading purposes I tend to group Manor Club, GV, HL, GC & WR Platinum plus the desert resorts Gold but given where prices can be I think the desert Platinum resorts can be great crossover options. The main caution there is DSV fees are a little higher, likely enough to matter.

Intersting. My understanding of II trading is very basic at this point. Any reason why you recommend Desert gold? Is that because of the purchase price?

MGC really has only one season except week 52 so I understand it's not really "high" season either. The TDI maxes out at 135. Desert gold max TDI is 110.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
a Thursday start day of the week making it ideal use for 13 month reservations

Can you also explain how this is an advantage? Is that because 150 TDI weeks can be hard to reserve for single week owners? How does having Thursday help?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Intersting. My understanding of II trading is very basic at this point. Any reason why you recommend Desert gold? Is that because of the purchase price?

MGC really has only one season except week 52 so I understand it's not really "high" season either. The TDI maxes out at 135. Desert gold max TDI is 110.
The thing to know about II and the TDI is it's not standardized across regions. For all resorts covered by a single chart it's standardized but not between areas, even within the same state. Maybe 6 months ago I ran a comparison between these resorts and RCI's TPU which is standardized. I'm going by memory but the RCI TPU for the better/best weeks was 17 for GC, WR & MC Platinum & was a little higher for desert resorts Gold/White which was roughly the same as the better Orlando weeks which I believe were 24. Put another way from what it appears to me is that Desert Gold time at a TDI of 110 is at least the same, if not higher, than GC at 135 or Branson at 150 and roughly the same, or very close to Orlando at 150. The other variable is resort quality which can help your or hurt you depending on how you want to exchange but often a very high resort quality will restrict mid level and lower rated resorts from showing up in your searches and sometimes a lower resort rating will keep you from seeing the top resorts, even M to M. I think this has changed a little and may be less important once they started charging for unit upgrades. Whether any of this will affect your end results is unknown and likely in most cases it will not. But if it does, you may never know since II won't tell you unless you get a lose & chatty II rep on the phone.

Can you also explain how this is an advantage? Is that because 150 TDI weeks can be hard to reserve for single week owners? How does having Thursday help?
Because if you're making concurrent or consecutive reservations you can do so 13 months out from the FIRST reservation day so in my case I start with my WR weeks and am thus able to reserve one day earlier than someone making exactly the same reservations using GC for example.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
The thing to know about II and the TDI is it's not standardized across regions. For all resorts covered by a single chart it's standardized but not between areas, even within the same state. Maybe 6 months ago I ran a comparison between these resorts and RCI's TPU which is standardized. I'm going by memory but the RCI TPU for the better/best weeks was 17 for GC, WR & MC Platinum & was a little higher for desert resorts Gold/White which was roughly the same as the better Orlando weeks which I believe were 24. Put another way from what it appears to me is that Desert Gold time at a TDI of 110 is at least the same, if not higher, than GC at 135 or Branson at 150 and roughly the same, or very close to Orlando at 150. The other variable is resort quality which can help your or hurt you depending on how you want to exchange but often a very high resort quality will restrict mid level and lower rated resorts from showing up in your searches and sometimes a lower resort rating will keep you from seeing the top resorts, even M to M. I think this has changed a little and may be less important once they started charging for unit upgrades. Whether any of this will affect your end results is unknown and likely in most cases it will not. But if it does, you may never know since II won't tell you unless you get a lose & chatty II rep on the phone.

Because if you're making concurrent or consecutive reservations you can do so 13 months out from the FIRST reservation day so in my case I start with my WR weeks and am thus able to reserve one day earlier than someone making exactly the same reservations using GC for example.

This is very insightful. Thanks for explaining.