• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Timeshare/Vacation Club Owners

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC: Presidential Level
The ink isn't quite dry on our paperwork, so to speak, but we have paid the funds and signed essential documents to be Marriott Vacation Club owners. We started at 10,000 points, which is entry presidential level. I have been a member of Marriott Rewards since 2003, but this is the first time that I have reached out to an online support forum for anything. In fact, I don't even do social media. Aside from occasional TripAdvisor reviews, I don't weigh in on many matters either. I am learning more by reading posts here and researching unbiased timeshare news reports -- which is almost impossible to find -- than I have from all of the presentations we have sat through. Participants here use a lot of abbreviations and acronyms, so I have to acquaint myself with timeshare jargon. I am here because I am hoping for wise advice and candidness as we navigate new territory. I love to travel for the experiences and memories it creates. God has blessed us to be at a place in our lives when we can travel more and in a different way. I welcome tips and real advice about what to expect during the first year or so. I am told that we should close by September 23, and to expect some back-end documents via FedEX in a day or two. I am anxious to hear about positive experiences from those at the presidential level and your thoughts on how to maximize points.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch.
You might consider reposting to the Marriott forum. It's a very active group of Marriott owners. They'll welcome you and be happy to help with all the acronyms. I've been here for years and don't know all the abbreviations and resort codes. My first inclination is to advise you to rescind and buy resale, but I know that Marriott is a different kind of critter, and that buying retail can have some adherents- as long as you can afford it, who cares that you can save some money. It's your money anyway.

Again--- Welcome!

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So to be clear, you didn't previously own a timeshare and you spend $70,000-$100,000 points to purchase trust points. How much is your annual maintenance fees? Is it all trust points or is it a combination of a deeded enrolled week and trust points and if so where is the deeded week?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The ink isn't quite dry on our paperwork, so to speak, but we have paid the funds and signed essential documents to be Marriott Vacation Club owners. We started at 10,000 points, which is entry presidential level. I have been a member of Marriott Rewards since 2003, but this is the first time that I have reached out to an online support forum for anything. In fact, I don't even do social media. Aside from occasional TripAdvisor reviews, I don't weigh in on many matters either. I am learning more by reading posts here and researching unbiased timeshare news reports -- which is almost impossible to find -- than I have from all of the presentations we have sat through. Participants here use a lot of abbreviations and acronyms, so I have to acquaint myself with timeshare jargon. I am here because I am hoping for wise advice and candidness as we navigate new territory. I love to travel for the experiences and memories it creates. God has blessed us to be at a place in our lives when we can travel more and in a different way. I welcome tips and real advice about what to expect during the first year or so. I am told that we should close by September 23, and to expect some back-end documents via FedEX in a day or two. I am anxious to hear about positive experiences from those at the presidential level and your thoughts on how to maximize points.
That’s a lot of points. Enjoy. Although I’d buy DC points resale. You’ll save a ton but that’s me

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ink isn't quite dry on our paperwork, so to speak, but we have paid the funds and signed essential documents to be Marriott Vacation Club owners. We started at 10,000 points, which is entry presidential level. I have been a member of Marriott Rewards since 2003, but this is the first time that I have reached out to an online support forum for anything.
Mrs. SLLP
Here https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/marriott-vacation-club.29/ is a link to the Marriott Forum. This would be the better place for your TUG 'Home'. It's a great place to meet and ask questions of experienced owners.
Kind Regards.

Jim

taffy19

Reaction score
There is a Marriott Forum here on TUG where you can find a lot of your questions answered like the abbreviations and many other helpful topics to read.

Marriott owners share their knowledge freely how to use your ownership wisely and to your advantage.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/marriott-vacation-club.29/

taffy19

Reaction score
Deleted. I replied to Jim but it looked like I replied to myself????? While I replied to Jim’s post. We both gave the same advice.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deleted. I replied to Jim but it looked like I replied to myself????? While I replied to Jim’s post. We both gave the same advice.
You're forgiven. I talk to myself all the time anyway. It's good to have someone handy to communicate with on your own level.

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you. I feel welcome already.
Under the message is an edit button and also a Report button where you can ask the moderator to move your thread to the Marriott Forum or you can ask here in a new message, I believe.

Welcome to TUG. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I feel welcome already.
I know that Marriott owners have a different mindset, but honestly, you can rescind the purchase you made, and buy similar size packages on the resale market for thou$and$ less. Not being a Marriott owner, I don't know if the 'Presidential' level is available to resale buyers or if that's just for retail buyers, or if it's worth the price differential. With other systems, those top tier perks are only available to retail buyers, but the perks are not worth the cost. It's your call. You should examine this and determine if paying retail is what really fits your travel scheme. We can recommend some brokers who are TUG members and are versed in getting resales through ROFR. You won't find the eBay $1 timeshares there but can save enough to make it worthwhile. You only have a few days to rescind, should you decide that's a path you want to explore and learn about, and if the retail path is the best for you, that 'deal' will always be available.

Best.

Jim

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome to TUG. You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch.
You might consider reposting to the Marriott forum. It's a very active group of Marriott owners. They'll welcome you and be happy to help with all the acronyms. I've been here for years and don't know all the abbreviations and resort codes. My first inclination is to advise you to rescind and buy resale, but I know that Marriott is a different kind of critter, and that buying retail can have some adherents- as long as you can afford it, who cares that you can save some money. It's your money anyway.

Again--- Welcome!

Jim
Jim,
Thank you. Well, it's sort of an interesting story that led us to purchase from Marriott. We purchased within days after rescinding from Hilton. That sounds flaky, but here's the backdrop: For years we would end up vacationing somewhere offering a timeshare presentation. Westgate comes to mind. My husband was retired military and had some minimum knowledge about timeshare, but was never impressed to seriously consider any offers. A few years ago, while staying at market rate in Hilton Head, we were approached about sitting in on an offer. Marriott offered quite a few gifts for listening and because we were basically traveling somewhere four times a year -- spring break, summer, Thanksgiving and in December -- we agreed. The presentation sounded different than what we had heard in previous presentations, but we couldn't see ourselves putting in that kind of money at that time in our lives. My husband is a retired U.S. Army recruiter and anticipates various sales strategies, so to speak. One of the sales folks offered a mini vacation package for about $900. It allowed us to come back in one of the multi-bedroom condos and stay for seven nights. There wasn't a blackout date. We still weren't ready to buy because quite frankly, I don't think we still knew enough about timesharing and the points system. In addition, we weren't ready to spend that kind of money. We were traveling a lot, but I was planning far enough in advanced to get great deals on vacation houses to sleep our extended family. At some point, we also become frequent cruisers. We had just come off of a cruise during the summer of 2018 and decided to extend our time in Florida. I am a Hilton rewards member so I grabbed up the largest space available at one of the Hilton resorts. Again, we were staying there at market rate when someone from the concierge's desk invited us to sales presentation. I was still curious about timeshares, or vacation membership ownership as they were now calling it. Another presentation and so-on, but something about this one piqued my husband's interest. He isn't the type to buy anything on the spot, though, and we were preparing to leave when we were offered a VIP package for $1,700 to Hawaii. To make an already long story a bit shorter, the package would expire in January, and it was difficult finding 6 or 7 nights that worked around the schedule of our college freshman. The package has blackout dates. We got off another cruise a few weeks ago and decided to use the VIP package in Orlando. That's where we bought what I assume is what you are referring to, a resale. I don't think that is the word the sales executive used, but close enough. We got double credit for the $1,700 we paid for the VIP package and a good chunk of bonus points that would expire in four years. The cost, excluding closing and annual maintenance fees was just under $50,000 for 8,400 points. I ended up rescinding after I got home and started actually researching for the first time. (I know, research should come before the purchase). There were a lot of fees to book and I had new questions. I also came to this site and saw a thread comparing Hilton and Marriott ownership. I never got a call-back from Hilton sales although I left an in-depth message. In addition, I had an unpleasant interaction with a young woman at the Hilton front desk. I brought it to the attention of a supervisor as well and unfortunately, my concerns were not properly addressed. The nail in the coffin is that Hilton resort would have been my deeded home resort. So, here I am. I called Marriott and went through a web conference. I asked about previously owned timeshare points. My sales executive didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. I guess I should have used the term resale.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you buy a bundled package, i.e. weeks + matching points? That would bring price to per point down to about $7, plus/minus $1.5 per point. If you are paying the full freight of $11 per point or so, you need to rescind now, and then go back to the salesperson and ask for a bundled/combo package.

I won't advise you against 10K points as it is a good level to own. I am also at presidential level and bought everything through Marriott even though I have always known about the resale market. If you buy a bundled/combo package, it comes very close to resale price + "junk" fees which Marriott charges to bring them into the system as though they were bought from Marriott.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s a lot of points. Enjoy. Although I’d buy DC points resale. You’ll save a ton but that’s me

Thanks for welcoming me. In my reply to Jim, I mentioned that when I asked Marriott about previous inventory my sales ex. didn't appear to "understand" what I was referring to. Not even a week earlier, Hilton sold us what I understand to have been a resale -- although that's not the term the sales folks used. Either way, the price difference was significant, by about $25,000. Can one buy resale points and add to what they already own, or just use those additional points in conjunction with what is owned?

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you buy a bundled package, i.e. weeks + matching points? That would bring price to per point down to about $7, plus/minus $1.5 per point. If you are paying the full freight of $11 per point or so, you need to rescind now, and then go back to the salesperson and ask for a bundled/combo package.

I won't advise you against 10K points as it is a good level to own. I am also at presidential level and bought everything through Marriott even though I have always known about the resale market. If you buy a bundled/combo package, it comes very close to resale price + "junk" fees which Marriott charges to bring them into the system as though they were bought from Marriott.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Vacation Forever, I am already feeling not so smart. I didn't know about a bundled package. We bought straight points -- 10,000. The bundled package never came up. I didn't know to ask about it and the sales ex. implied that Marriott had converted to a points system over the years. We got 10,000 points, 25,000 bonus points, which expire in two years, and we will receive a one-time year and a half anniversary gift of 10,000 points. I'm starting to feel ill Please tell me the more than $5,000 in annual maintenance fees is going to be worth it...By the way, my husband let me bring all the details on this one...

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Am I responding to others or typing to myself? Why can't I tell? Is this what a big-ticket timeshare purchase do to you?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Annual MF will be worth it if you know how to use the system and also if you compare with rack rate. The most important thing now is to rescind if you are within the rescission period as you have overpaid the purchase.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My bigge
Vacation Forever, I am already feeling not so smart. I didn't know about a bundled package. We bought straight points -- 10,000. The bundled package never came up. I didn't know to ask about it and the sales ex. implied that Marriott had converted to a points system over the years. We got 10,000 points, 25,000 bonus points, which expire in two years, and we will receive a one-time year and a half anniversary gift of 10,000 points. I'm starting to feel ill Please tell me the more than $5,000 in annual maintenance fees is going to be worth it...By the way, my husband let me bring all the details on this one...
the question is do you really need 10K points? A sales person will always tell you, you need more. I’d rescind and buy points on the resale market.

If you need that many points, ask about the week/points package I think they have, I think it may work out better in price from what I’ve gathered. In other words, rescind and spend your time here talking to MVC DC owners. They will guide you. @JIMinNC knows a low of MVC. Maybe he can shed some light on the purchase and help you out.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale price + junk fees per point cost is about the same as a bundled package. The nice thing about Presidential level is the 60 days discount, longer banked period and Titanium level, all of which I am sure you already know. Since you bought a points only package, you do need to rescind now before time runs out on you.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have two months out in the summer, two weeks in the winter, a week for Thanksgiving and a week for spring break. My husband is retired, but still hangs on to a part of his business. For the most part, his schedule is flexible. I have a huge family, but the dynamics is changing. Daddy went to be with Jesus in September 2017. Nothing has been the same. He loved going everywhere and we'd all end up there. Thankfully, Momma is still active and travels with us. Our college sophomore still enjoys family trips, too. For our last cruise, there were four of us. One of my sisters and her daughters joined us later in Florida, though. Part of me is still living out the days of the large family gatherings in vacation houses, but things are changing to a smaller group in locations we've never been. There were places I wanted Daddy to see. I guess I'm trying to cram all of that in now with Momma. I had two mini strokes in recent years, and I'm trying to do a better job of leaving work at work and taking time off when I need it. I have been terrible about that. I will go days without sleep when I'm working on a project -- which has been always. The Caribbean is as far as we've ever traveled, and after a while, the islands tend to look about the same -- as least when you cruise there and don't get to really explore. When Momma travels with us, I prefer a three-bedroom. The teenager doesn't mind a sofa bed in a two-bedroom, but he hates sharing a bath. I would love your thoughts on great places to see. And one more thing, it didn't occur to me to ask the sales person about how long points can sit in the bank and not expire. What do you know about that?

taffy19

Reaction score
Am I responding to others or typing to myself? Why can't I tell? Is this what a big-ticket timeshare purchase do to you?
I have the same problem as you.

If you have any doubt you should rescind while you still can.

This is almost always TUG’s advice. More Marriott owners may give you alternative options.

I hope that they will read your thread soon. It should be moved.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
18 months after current use year for Presidential level.
Thank you, and I will contact my sales ex. tomorrow and inquire about the options that were not previously mentioned. I am all about saving money.

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have the same problem as you.

If you have any doubt you should rescind while you still can.

This is almost always TUG’s advice. More Marriott owners may give you alternative options.

I hope that they will read your thread soon. It should be moved.

Thanks, Taffy19. After waiting all of these years to purchase, I don't like the idea of overpaying for a product or service that I could have saved money on. I will reach out to my sales ex. tomorrow. Thanks for good, honest advice.