• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frustrated with my ads on Redweek. I am getting grouchier about cheapskates in my old age

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Interesting, can you share more?

I’d appreciate it if you weren’t so judgmental and wrongly accuse me of always caring just for myself and not others. Just because someone doesn’t share your viewpoint doesn’t make them selfish.

I will bring up one of many situations. I used to give a $1 daily to this homeless man, who obviously had mental issues. I probably gave him $120 in total. One day, I honestly didn’t have money on me.

Then he threatens to kill my SO and slit her throat. Next day, the same thing, though I never gave him any more money. Now, I don’t give homeless people any money. What has happened? Not a single another instance of a homeless person threatening to kill my SO.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Are your renters guaranteed that they will get the same condo on the higher floors in the front of the building that you and Rick occupy when you are there or can your resort change that to a lower floor or in a building with a side view?
Yes, Emmy, there are only three units that are Koa, oceanfront view for Saturday check-in, and one unit that is a Wednesday check-in, and that is what is deeded to us, so the only unit we get for our maintenance fees are the Koa oceanfront units. Our fees are higher because our units are larger, too.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I’d appreciate it if you weren’t so judgmental and wrongly accuse me of always caring just for myself and not others. Just because someone doesn’t share your viewpoint doesn’t make them selfish.

I will bring up one of many situations. I used to give a $1 daily to this homeless man, who obviously had mental issues. I probably gave him $120 in total. One day, I honestly didn’t have money on me.

Then he threatens to kill my SO and slit her throat. Next day, the same thing, though I never gave him any more money. Now, I don’t give homeless people any money. What has happened? Not a single another instance of a homeless person threatening to kill my SO.

He is homeless for a reason. I am not sure a homeless man is a good example. I think we need a more We Together way of thinking. This country is going downwards with the Me First was of being. If everyone is concerned about WIIFM then we lose civilization. This has happened many times before when everyone becomes so self interested that society can no longer operate. I prefer to believe in karma.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He is homeless for a reason. I am not sure a homeless man is a good example. I think we need a more We Together way of thinking. This country is going downwards with the Me First was of being. If everyone is concerned about WIIFM then we lose civilization. This has happened many times before when everyone becomes so self interested that society can no longer operate. I prefer to believe in karma.

Okay, so why the need to attack me personally? Why didn’t you tell the OP she should think about others, including renters, instead of herself?

My issue is this is about Ts. You are injecting and imposing your moral values, which not everyone agrees with, into this TS debate.

I honestly don’t believe the OP is being selfish. She is doing the best for her, her husband, family, and home. I’m not judging her. I just simply said she could be more patient and maybe get out of Ts renting altogether.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I believe in fairness in everything I do. However, referring back to posts #28-32, that has nothing to do with fairness. I don't believe I need to bend to every transparently bogus plea for me to cut my price because someone claims he can't afford it because of his budget. That not a fairness issue.

That is my point. Do not deal with these people. Do not negotiate. America is too civilized to be negotiating. I would write in the ad “Firm.” I have never heard of negotiating if you are charging the fiat market rate. Vacation space is a commodity unless it has an ocean view or week 52 or something special.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, so why the need to attack me personally? Why didn’t you tell the OP she should think about others, including renters, instead of herself?

My issue is this is about Ts. You are injecting and imposing your moral values, which not everyone agrees with, into this TS debate.

I honestly don’t believe the OP is being selfish. She is doing the best for her, her husband, family, and home. I’m not judging her. I just simply said she could be more patient and maybe get out of Ts renting altogether.

I agree she should simply get out of rental altogether too. I need to go back and read the OP. I did not mean to attack you. I was commenting more of society than on you. We are all self interested by nature.

I re-read the OP and I know who she is because I follow her posts. I think she was just venting after a few bad interactions. She is a kind and good person so I will not judge her.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've had people say things like "So you'd rather have it sit empty" or (in the case of garage sales) "You'd rather not sell it"............and I just say "Yes".

I agree. You can keep it or use it yourself if the price is too low. In terms of my own rentals, we just passed on a $6000 a month renter because my husband was not ready to rent the house out. So we are keeping the house empty instead of renting it. I am aghast at his decision but he said he can’t cope with moving our stuff out now and is not ready. I was asking $7000 and the renter and I agreed $6000 was fair market value. We did not haggle. We discussed it and we got comps and determined what the going rate was for my house. We live in 2 homes and I wanted to rent one but he said no. He prefers to have both available for our use on weekends.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wanted to rent out a year ahead because if I didn't get my weeks rented within a couple of months, I could elect Marriott VC/DC points by October 31st or deposit into II. I was not going to let it go past Aug/Sep and since I am impatient, when I want my weeks rented, they will need to go within a month. :)

My renter did lowball me with what she paid for the previous year and I told her that would not even cover my MF. I was patient and flexible with her. Then at one point she said she only wanted one week and I said I was renting out all two weeks and wished her all the best. 2 weeks later she came back said she wanted both weeks.

My terms were payment in full with no refunds.

I thought it was easy to rent out weeks you can’t use. This is a surprise to me that weeks are going unrented.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
FWIW - a few weeks ago we spent a few nights at an AirBnB within driving distance. A rustic one-room cottage with kitchenette, a nice view of Puget Sound and easy access. We liked it, and as we left I thought it would make a good place for me to get away to for a few days to focus on work without distractions (other than the view). We also met the owner personally and had a good experience.

So we made arrangements that if she ever finds herself in a situation where she has a two or three night block to fill and it's getting to be last minute, she can let me know know and if it fits my schedule and timing I'll take it. We negotiated a greatly reduced last minute rental rate, and doing it direct so that AirBnB isn't taking a cut - essentially she's making a small amount of money after cleaning fees and operating expenses. But the unit would sit empty otherwise.

++++++++

Our kids have done the same thing. When they've found an AirBnB that they like and they have a good relationship with the host, they start doing direct rentals. She's also an AirBnB host herself and is building a clientele operating the same way.

Her model is much the same that I used when I rented timeshare. Whereas I used eBay auctions to attract first time renters, she uses the short stay sites. Then as she builds relationships she intends to to move to direct rentals.

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes, Emmy, there are only three units that are Koa, oceanfront view for Saturday check-in, and one unit that is a Wednesday check-in, and that is what is deeded to us, so the only unit we get for our maintenance fees are the Koa oceanfront units. Our fees are higher because our units are larger, too.
Thank you and it is good to hear that this developer is still honoring fixed week/unit deeds that timeshare owners own.

Have a great vacation in August in Maui!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree she should simply get out of rental altogether too. I need to go back and read the OP. I did not mean to attack you. I was commenting more of society than on you. We are all self interested by nature.

I re-read the OP and I know who she is because I follow her posts. I think she was just venting after a few bad interactions. She is a kind and good person so I will not judge her.

Although I am not a fan of discussing social commentary within a TS debate, you could have done a better job phrasing such as social commentary, and not an attack on me.

This is what you wrote in reply to me:
“How about caring for other people and not just YOURSELF” (emphasis added). You could have phrased it, “We, as a society, should care for other people not just ourselves.” Instead, you used the word “yourself.” I’m just saying.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Although I am not a fan of discussing social commentary within a TS debate, you could have done a better job phrasing such as social commentary, and not an attack on me.

This is what you wrote in reply to me:
“How about caring for other people and not just YOURSELF” (emphasis added). You could have phrased it, “We, as a society, should care for other people not just ourselves.” Instead, you used the word “yourself.” I’m just saying.

Good point, I will note this in the future and more carefully word my social commentary.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Good point, I will note this in the future and more carefully word my social commentary.

There are lots of places for social commentary. I didn't think TUG was one of them.

This is perhaps the reason a number of people bristled at your "caring for other people and not just yourself" comment. Or some, like me, may have thought your post was a bit too preachy as well as being out of place.

I'm also puzzled by your apparent animus toward negotiation -- strange for someone who claims to be in business and is concerned about fairness. A negotiated agreement is the epitome of fairness.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Sorta funny, when I'm on this thread, I get a pop-up ad from RCI for some of their $300/week rentals.

I'm shocked that this has received no comments at all. I don't think any of the offending rental ad responders offer as little as $300.

Are we so past the industry itself screwing owners over that we are numb to it?

Search engines have excellent memory, and if I am seeing RCI rental weeks, through themselves and AFVC and C21 and who knows where else, people who are responding to vacation rental ads are probably seeing the same pop-ups, so they are seeing offers for similar accommodations at prices much lower than the low-ball offers they make.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
As a renter and renter I try to be nice as possible when declining offers, I don’t want to offend a would be renter by being short or rude. Usually I’ll counter or just say at the price is firm. When renting units, I also low ball. That’s life. When I get a rude response I’ll move on and rather deal with someone who’s at least courteous in declining my offer. Granted, I don’t just throw a low number out. I usually offer something in line with or a bit lower than other listings. Come back at me with a rude decline and I’ll just move on to another renter or other resort. If I really need the reservation then I won’t be so hasty to make a garbage offer in the first place. It’s a business transaction. People want the lowest they can get for the unit.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm shocked that this has received no comments at all. I don't think any of the offending rental ad responders offer as little as $300.

Are we so past the industry itself screwing owners over that we are numb to it?
I actually was going to respond, but I admittedly got too focused on responding to a perceived personal attack.

RCI offers may be herrings and are often off-season rents. RCI may give renters the false impression that TS rental units should be priced that low.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sorta funny, when I'm on this thread, I get a pop-up ad from RCI for some of their $300/week rentals.

Now, there's a real source of TS owner rental competition!!!!
Funny you mention RCI, I was looking at their inventory last week and they had places for rent $219.00
I saw the same places offered on Tug for $300.00. I know RCI frowns on renting a timeshare to someone else but seems like some are buying guest fees and adding that to the price of the rental. I don’t do this, but others have no shame.
Usually best results for us have been exchanging with TUG members, no money involved, just swap ours for theirs.
Everyone is happy.
Silentg

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are lots of places for social commentary. I didn't think TUG was one of them.

This is perhaps the reason a number of people bristled at your "caring for other people and not just yourself" comment. Or some, like me, may have thought your post was a bit too preachy as well as being out of place.

I'm also puzzled by your apparent animus toward negotiation -- strange for someone who claims to be in business and is concerned about fairness. A negotiated agreement is the epitome of fairness.

@TravelTime How do you reconcile the apparent disconnect between caring for and refusing to negotiate with others? Arguably, if you care for others, shouldn't you negotiate with them and care for situation and financial interest? Just saying.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I actually was going to respond, but I admittedly got too focused on responding to a perceived personal attack.

RCI offers may be herrings and are often off-season rents. RCI may give renters the false impression that TS rental units should be priced that low.

You may have gleaned that after more than 150 exchanges, all I do through RCI is accommodations for others. I now have three couples who are Five Year Guest Pass holders through our RCI account, and I get excess inventory for others, too. I believe the longest of the Five Year Guest Pass holders has been doing it for 7 years, a few years one-at-a-time before the Five Year Guest Pass.

Of course, that means I get an RCI special email at least once a week. Sure there are some peak seasons and areas when stuff is not available, but I can assure you that it is more than off-season, or fishy (herrings). Much like a bus, if you miss this one, another one will be along shortly.

Once I started posting RCI offers, look how often they are:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-get-rci-and-ii-extra-vacations.277654/page-2
- - - - - -
I don't know why some people think people doing what I do must be trying to make a buck, because there's more to life than making a buck. But, in my experience, I have learned that is more a reflection on them than it is on me.

If the best deals in RCI are the same things that pissed me off when I/we were active RCI members/TS Owners because they undermined what I felt were promises made (unspoken or otherwise) to those who put their money into timeshares, it would be totally selfish to not let others do what we had been doing, but for a very small fraction of the price.

One of our first/oldest TS-owner friends, a longtime Fairfield owner, gave their weeks back to Wyndham because they now get what they need through their C21 RE agent daughter.

So, if we as owners want to cut down the low-ball competition, shouldn't we all have a list of people we get $300/week RCI stuff for, and cut down the supply?

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Search engines have excellent memory, and if I am seeing RCI rental weeks, through themselves and AFVC and C21 and who knows where else, people who are responding to vacation rental ads are probably seeing the same pop-ups, so they are seeing offers for similar accommodations at prices much lower than the low-ball offers they make.

Funny, now my pop-up ads are for buying houses in SW FL, and from developers I am familiar with.

:(

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@TravelTime How do you reconcile the apparent disconnect between caring for and refusing to negotiate with others? Arguably, if you care for others, shouldn't you negotiate with them and care for situation and financial interest? Just saying.

I do not see it as a disconnect. If you set a boundary, then that is all it is.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a renter and renter I try to be nice as possible when declining offers, I don’t want to offend a would be renter by being short or rude. Usually I’ll counter or just say at the price is firm. When renting units, I also low ball. That’s life. When I get a rude response I’ll move on and rather deal with someone who’s at least courteous in declining my offer. Granted, I don’t just throw a low number out. I usually offer something in line with or a bit lower than other listings. Come back at me with a rude decline and I’ll just move on to another renter or other resort. If I really need the reservation then I won’t be so hasty to make a garbage offer in the first place. It’s a business transaction. People want the lowest they can get for the unit.

Now that I know people present low ball offers to landlords, I will be even more firm when I rent out units. In Silicon Valley, people don’t tend to low ball because we have a scarcity of resources. Often times, people bid over asking prices including rent and real estate. I think low balling occurs when supply exceeds demand. Then if someone prices above market, of course you would want to offer less. I rather enjoy the Silicon Valley style much better than the way things works in the rest of the country. You can move on because timeshares are a commodity. Even you said if you really need something, you won;t make a garbage offer. Again, if you really need something and it is not available elsewhere, you are more careful. In this case, demand exceeds supply since you can;t find it elsewhere very easily.