• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2013] The end of an era. Sold off the last of my first timeshares

Queen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that exchange companies should go as they are too costly; People should not be paying fees to use their timeshare in addition to membership fees.

Tugs members should exchange between one another.

Reaction score
Based on review TUG and other web sites over 10 years I've never seen anyone really work the DVC system to the max like some do with Marriott so please do tell the secret.

I can't speak for others, but a typical resale DVC is priced around $60 per point, some may be higher and VB is the lowest (but has highest annual dues). Some contracts come with points and some do not, so assume only current year points (no banked or bonus points).

Assume about $5 per point per year in annual dues (varies from $4.50-$7.50) and assume rental rates of $11 per point.

Using the above real world examples, DVC nets about $6 per point per year.

That is an approximate 10% return which is way better than banks or CDs but not quite as good as your 12% return for Marriott example.

If you can buy DVC for below $60 and get free banked points and if you can rent for more than $11, then I think DVC may be better than your Marriott. Also, if you buy DVC for $100-145 from Disney, you will be upside down for a long time.

I did not know how to value the Marriott trip trades into Hawaii, etc, so I used your example of $15,000 to buy 2 weeks in Newport and netting about $1,800 per year on rent ($4,000 for two weeks - $2,100 annual combined dues). Also, I have no idea how easy or hard it is to reproduce that rental rate. DVC is pretty easy to rent and there always seems to be a demand. Also, the resale market for Disney is pretty stable and easy to sell.

Last edited:

Corinne1123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Capital (initial) investment perspective

Don't you have to consider the potential depreciation of the DVC points? Disney is RTU so at some point the value of the TS must depreciate. Marriott's may go up and down with the market but it is deeded and therefore perpetual. I know next to nothing about the rental market but would think this has to be considered as well.:shrug:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought on the resale market and love it. Being able to stay in a 2 bedroom for $100 maintenance fee is quite good. You can't even stay at a Holiday Inn for the cost of a night at a nice resort.
I took Travelplus's comment to mean s/he was spending $100 per night in MFs to get a nice resort, not $100 per week in MFs.

Come on folks, be nice to the newer members! What do you think this is, Flyertalk? ;)

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, I closed my RCI Points account by transferring the last of my points to a fellow Tug member. It was my very first foray into Timesharing way back in 2004. I've come a long way since those days. It was fun while it lasted, but that era is now over....

I can't believe I've been doing this for 9 years.
I think I know how you feel, Boca. The very first timeshare I ever bought is currently listed for sale in the TUG Marketplace, and I will probably list it for free soon on the TUG Bargain Board.

I've been timesharing for about a decade now, and I also can't believe how long I've been at it. In 2003, DH asked me what I wanted for a 10th wedding anniversary gift. I said I wanted a DVC ownership. It took us a while to find one we wanted on the resale market, and while we were looking, I got addicted to timeshares, eventually owning 24 at one point. Owning so many was a mistake (they were mainly cheap timeshares, and too hard to rent in this economy), but I also had a TON of great vacations at very reasonable prices.

Overall, I think getting into timesharing is one of the best things I've ever done. Because Orlando is my favorite destination, exchanging still works for me. (Well, I've had health problems that have limited my traveling, but I just got back from Disney World yesterday, and had a good trip. I'm hoping to go again in May!)

Boca, I'm curious about what you mean when you say "It was fun while it lasted, but that era is now over." I know you are referring to RCI Points & exchanging in general, and also OLCC and Christmas Mountain Village UDIs, but I'm not sure what else. What parts of timesharing do you feel are still a good deal?

Reaction score
Don't you have to consider the potential depreciation of the DVC points? Disney is RTU so at some point the value of the TS must depreciate. Marriott's may go up and down with the market but it is deeded and therefore perpetual. I know next to nothing about the rental market but would think this has to be considered as well.:shrug:

I am not sure that is too relevant in this comparison as there is still a minimum of 30 years left for the original DVC and 40 years or more on the newer ones.

Does anyone even keep any timeshare for 30-40 years???

Also, Marriott is likely to hit owners with a nice assessment within the next 30-40 years and I think DVC is not allowed to assess owners.

To this looks like a push between the two in terms of rental income.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You say you can make more on non-Marriott so here's your chance. I'll give you an example using $15k of the great value you can get from Marriott let's see if you can do the same.

Based on review TUG and other web sites over 10 years I've never seen anyone really work the DVC system to the max like some do with Marriott so please do tell the secret.

I realize you made this challenge to another TUGer, but I took the bait and it looks like the contest is a push between your Marriott and the DVC example I made.

I have no idea how to "max the system" as those generally involve temporary quirks in the system, but the example I gave was real-world and totally reproducible.

That said, I am not sure if I would put too much money into some timeshare investment fund, but at least on a small scale, it seems like a nice place to park some money that you can both enjoy the use and even make a little money on the side.

Of course, making money renting DVC or Marriott is not easy or stress free and if the goal is to make money off the real estate market, then most people would probably be better off buying a REIT.

Also, I am sure there are some other timeshare properties that owners can make a lot more than 10% ROI, but I don't know what they are or even care to investigate.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Assume about $5 per point per year in annual dues (varies from $4.50-$7.50) and assume rental rates of $11 per point.

Using the above real world examples, DVC nets about $6 per point per year.

That is an approximate 10% return which is way better than banks or CDs but not quite as good as your 12% return for Marriott example.

So how do you rent DVC for $11 per point? That is what I'm wondering because I'd love to add DVC to my portfolio. Do you rent studio Sun - Thur or do you secure a 2BDRM and rent that somehow? Is there a better season to rent? The 2BDRMs are the biggest renters with the Marriotts so that is what I always work with.

And NVC is easy to rent as I'd imagine Disney is but the question is can you actually rent at $11? What does the all transaction look like? Anyone with experience doing so?

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not the OP, but for my DVC rentals I either just post x number of points available for $11 per point or respond directly to a "reservations wanted" listing. Generally when I indicate I have x number of points available I get multiple reservation requests within a day or two.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I own DVC and have rented points to people several times, it is so much easier than any other TS I have owned (I owned Marriott/WKORV-North and DVC Beach Club. Place an ad on DIS forum "rent-trade" and you will get $10 a point within a week or two of placing the ad (you do not book a week, availability of resort is not as bad as other TSs). You simply place the ad at $10 per point and people tell you when they want to go, you book it and charge the number of points at $10 per....greater than $10 takes more effort and work. Of course a lot of folks have very specific resorts they want and Beach club is one of the most requested. Also it used to take several calls to a DVC agent now you can book on line...

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
...And NVC is easy to rent as I'd imagine Disney is but the question is can you actually rent at $11? What does the all transaction look like? Anyone with experience doing so?
www.dvcrequest.com is currently offering DVC owners $11 per point, as long as the points have at least 7 months until they expire. Owners are paid half of the $11 when they make the reservation, and half after check-in.

Reaction score
So how do you rent DVC for $11 per point? That is what I'm wondering because I'd love to add DVC to my portfolio. Do you rent studio Sun - Thur or do you secure a 2BDRM and rent that somehow? Is there a better season to rent? The 2BDRMs are the biggest renters with the Marriotts so that is what I always work with.

And NVC is easy to rent as I'd imagine Disney is but the question is can you actually rent at $11? What does the all transaction look like? Anyone with experience doing so?

I totally forgot about this thread....some updates

DVC is now about $200 per point from Disney
Resale is around $100 for OKW/SSR and $150 for GF/Poly

Rental prices are minimal $15 and can go up to $18 for desirable points

It looks like my DVC example from many years ago turned out much better then I imagined.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Another old thread resurrected. I just want to say, I miss BocaBum99! He was such an asset to this community, and I am sure he is still in the timeshare business, if only part-time working at it.

We did buy Disney points a long time ago, probably around the time of this thread's inception. I had no idea our points would become so valuable. When the resale goes to $200/pt., I may sell, but not until then. I really do well at renting them. I think we paid $55/pt.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, I closed my RCI Points account by transferring the last of my points to a fellow Tug member. It was my very first foray into Timesharing way back in 2004. I've come a long way since those days. It was fun while it lasted, but that era is now over.

The underlying deed was Mansfield Country Resort in Australia. It was a great buy way back then because I got it from Jerry Naugle who was the guy to get Australian points from back then. He appears to no longer be in the business as I could not find him. During those days, South Africa timeshares were also a very big hit.

At that time, I also bought several Christmas Mountain UDIs. They were good for trading in Interval International and for Exchange Plus in WorldMark. But, WorldMark changed its program to only allow 4 deposits per year. Same thing happened to RCI Points. These UDIs were great RCI Points generator for really cheap airline tickets. Too bad that only lasted a couple of years.

At that time, I also own an Orange Lake studio which was great for trading back into a 2br unit for any time of the year.

I have since sold the Orange lake and all my UDI holdings. All I have left from those early days is my WorldMark account.

I can't believe I've been doing this for 9 years.

I’m thinking of doing the same exact thing. I hate the post merger Marriott company. Customer service has gone out the window with them. My being the top tier with both the timeshare and the hotels means nothing to them. I am sick of them.

I do have a hefty RCI points account. I can’t figure out how I can use my points to pay for airfare. Can you help?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Overall, I think getting into timesharing is one of the best things I've ever done.

Agree. I have no idea how many Weeks I owned over the years but my crowning achievement was ownership of my Monarch Crown Suite Week. Not only was it great while I owned it but I made money when I sold it. I have to admit though that not being involved anymore also feels good...

George

Reaction score
Another old thread resurrected. I just want to say, I miss BocaBum99! He was such an asset to this community, and I am sure he is still in the timeshare business, if only part-time working at it.

We did buy Disney points a long time ago, probably around the time of this thread's inception. I had no idea our points would become so valuable. When the resale goes to $200/pt., I may sell, but not until then. I really do well at renting them. I think we paid $55/pt.

What happened to BocaBum99? He seemed like a good resource.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to my question. It was mentioned somewhere in this thread that I should be able to use RCI points to pay for airfare. Im sorry I can't put my fingers on the exact post.

I've used the link from the regular RCI timeshare site to the travel site and I cannot figure out how to apply points to pay for a ticket. Can anyone help??