• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

November - December Resort Recommendation - South/East Coast

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
Can I please ask for advise and recommendations on Wyndham Club resorts for November - December timeframe to stay with the family party of 5 ages 10 - 15. I am located in Florida and would like to take the kids to see snow this year, and skiing will be a plus.

I prefer to drive there if possible within a 10 hour distance max... so I am thinking North Carolina or Tennessee? Recommendations appreciated. Many thanks!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are not likely to ski in NOV in NC or TN. Very unlikely it will be cold enough that earlier for a ski resort to be open. Maybe DEC, but the later in December the better for better skiing unless it’s a particularly cold winter.

I have never skied in NC or TN so can’t help much on specific areas to suggest. Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia is considered to be the best ski resort in the region. And even there while they are open in early-mid December it’s typically only a limited number of runs available that early in the season.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the areas that are within your drive, but Jiminy Peak has a really good kids' program, and there is skiing right out the doors of the resort. I think they start making snow in the Mid-end of November.

Shawnee in PA (Crestview is the better of the units) has skiing, but there is also a year round tubing nearby that makes snow in season, but you can still tube the hill out of season.

To head a little further without having to drive, you might consider the auto train. You can bring your car and ride comfortably with food and bathrooms. Even sleeping cabins. My friends did it and LOVED it. If you go from Orlando to DC, it isn't much further to hit some of the Northeast ski locations. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train Another bonus is you can still load up your car like you would for a driving trip.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
You are not likely to ski in NOV in NC or TN. Very unlikely it will be cold enough that earlier for a ski resort to be open. Maybe DEC, but the later in December the better for better skiing unless it’s a particularly cold winter.

I have never skied in NC or TN so can’t help much on specific areas to suggest. Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia is considered to be the best ski resort in the region. And even there while they are open in early-mid December it’s typically only a limited number of runs available that early in the season.

Thanks for the reply... good info to consider. :)

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
I don't know about the areas that are within your drive, but Jiminy Peak has a really good kids' program, and there is skiing right out the doors of the resort. I think they start making snow in the Mid-end of November.

Shawnee in PA (Crestview is the better of the units) has skiing, but there is also a year round tubing nearby that makes snow in season, but you can still tube the hill out of season.

To head a little further without having to drive, you might consider the auto train. You can bring your car and ride comfortably with food and bathrooms. Even sleeping cabins. My friends did it and LOVED it. If you go from Orlando to DC, it isn't much further to hit some of the Northeast ski locations. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train Another bonus is you can still load up your car like you would for a driving trip.

I had never considered auto train as an option, but I think is a tool set now under my belt. thanks for the advise.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Sapphire Valley offers limited downhill skiing and snowboarding onsite, though it's unlikely to be available in November. From there, it's about 1.5 hours to drive to Cataloochie Ski Area in Maggie Valley NC.

Lake Lure lies in a thermal belt so it's even less likely to have snow in November than Sapphire Valley. However, both Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains in Lake Lure and the Wyndham in Sapphire Valley are each about an hour's drive from Hendersonville NC, where a small business offers snow tubing with snowmaking: Moonshine Mountain Snow Tubing Park. Both areas (Lake Lure, Sapphire Valley) are also within about an hour's drive of Asheville, if that interests you, especially if the weather does not cooperate and you need alternate, warmer weather plans. The closest ski resort to Asheville is Wolf Ridge in Mars Hill, north of Asheville. However, if you stay in Lake Lure, it's actually about the same distance (1.5 hours drive, one way) to drive to Wolf Ridge as it is to drive to the town of Banner Elk NC which has the two largest ski areas in NC and better ski conditions at higher elevation.

If you decide to try for an RCI exchange, head for Banner Elk, NC for skiing & snowboarding at Sugar Mountain Ski Resort and at Ski Beech (Mountain). Of course, both offer snow-making. This area of the Blue Ridge Mountains gets a decent amount of natural snow. Appalachian Ski Mountain in Blowing Rock NC is smaller. There are timeshare resorts in Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, and Boone NC, all within a reasonable drive of Sugar & Beech. This area may or may not have snow that sticks to the ground in November and early December. Hope this helps.

Ecelso

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PBC - Resale Pending
Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Sapphire Valley offers limited downhill skiing and snowboarding onsite, though it's unlikely to be available in November. From there, it's about 1.5 hours to drive to Cataloochie Ski Area in Maggie Valley NC.

Lake Lure lies in a thermal belt so it's even less likely to have snow in November than Sapphire Valley. However, both Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains in Lake Lure and the Wyndham in Sapphire Valley are each about an hour's drive from Hendersonville NC, where a small business offers snow tubing with snowmaking: Moonshine Mountain Snow Tubing Park. Both areas (Lake Lure, Sapphire Valley) are also within about an hour's drive of Asheville, if that interests you, especially if the weather does not cooperate and you need alternate, warmer weather plans. The closest ski resort to Asheville is Wolf Ridge in Mars Hill, north of Asheville. However, if you stay in Lake Lure, it's actually about the same distance (1.5 hours drive, one way) to drive to Wolf Ridge as it is to drive to the town of Banner Elk NC which has the two largest ski areas in NC and better ski conditions at higher elevation.

If you decide to try for an RCI exchange, head for Banner Elk, NC for skiing & snowboarding at Sugar Mountain Ski Resort and at Ski Beech (Mountain). Of course, both offer snow-making. This area of the Blue Ridge Mountains gets a decent amount of natural snow. Appalachian Ski Mountain in Blowing Rock NC is smaller. There are timeshare resorts in Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, and Boone NC, all within a reasonable drive of Sugar & Beech. This area may or may not have snow that sticks to the ground in November and early December. Hope this helps.

This is great information!! Thank you so much for sharing. I am gathering some great input from tug's members. many thanks!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great information!! Thank you so much for sharing. I am gathering some great input from tug's members. many thanks!

TUG membership is the best $15 you'll ever spend. So many helpful people here with a world of experience and information to share. Membership gets you access to all of the resort reviews which are great, the sightings forum, and free marketplace ads.