• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Try Again or Move On?

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Family trips to Orlando for March break have been my happy place for 10+ years. On our recent visit, my father had an emergency and ended up in the hospital for most of the trip - including part in ICU. It was very scary, but he has since made a complete recovery.

It’s already past the dates when I would usually have airfare booked for 2020. Despite a couple of times finding reasonable airfare, I just haven’t been ready to commit to returning.

My question for TUGgers: would you look for a new destination for 2020 or return at least one more year and face this weird anxiety that’s bothering me?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Im sorry to hear what happened to your father and thankful he made a full recovery.

My dad once said, “if you fall off a horse, get up and try again!”

I would try again. I am sure your next trip will be a great one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agreed with Fredflintsone, “if you fall off a horse, get up and try again.” Get up and book another timeshare vacation for 2020 for the family.

Sounds liked your father have fully recovered. That is a blessing. Let him enjoy his time with his family and grandchildren.

I would book a family timeshare vacation for 2020 in a location; where everyone enjoyed and can travel to. 2020 Sounds liked a great year for another family gathering.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Family trips to Orlando for March break have been my happy place for 10+ years. On our recent visit, my father had an emergency and ended up in the hospital for most of the trip - including part in ICU. It was very scary, but he has since made a complete recovery.

It’s already past the dates when I would usually have airfare booked for 2020. Despite a couple of times finding reasonable airfare, I just haven’t been ready to commit to returning.

My question for TUGgers: would you look for a new destination for 2020 or return at least one more year and face this weird anxiety that’s bothering me?
So glad to hear your Dad made a complete recovery. We have to make sure we don't let the fear of something in the past ruin our joy and happiness going forward. I would book a trip and enjoy all the beautiful time with your family. It will help your Father and family make new memories going forward.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Contrary View: I would stay home.
It's a scary world out there and bad things happen. Tragedies.
My ex-FIL was in Italy in WWII. He wanted to return to visit.
His DW was afraid to travel. They never went anywhere. Sad.

Me: I like to go to new places. Be adventurous. Mix it up.

Last edited:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)

Folks seem to be answering whether you should plan another vacation or stay home, but looks to me that you're asking whether to return to Orlando or go somewhere else.

Nobody can evaluate your feelings but you. If your anxiety is severe enough to keep yourself from enjoying your vacation, and maybe spoiling it for everyone else, then maybe it's best to try some place different this year -- you can always return to Orlando next year when your bad experience will be further in the past.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I'm with Makai Guy -- choose a different spot for 2020, then back to Orlando later if you choose.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do what your gut/heart tells you. You will only be stressed out if you go. You can always go again in 2021 if you change your mind.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't about the place, it's about the people. Sure, returning to the same place each year feels peaceful and seems like coming home, and making the transition to a new tradition can be stressful, but have you considered that this may be an opportunity to begin a new tradition, not better or worse, only different? If you face this with an overwhelming sense of gratitude for your father's recovery, personal growth is sure to follow, and growth requires you to step out of your comfort zone. Why not try somewhere new this year?

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score

Why don’t you ask your Dad if he would like to return to the same familiar place or would prefer to vacation to a different location?

He was blessed to make a full recovery. :)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My husband ended up in the ICU on a trip to Hawaii (Big Island) in 2016. It took awhile to not be nervous to travel after that, but so far so good. I agree with Taffy - ask him what he wants to do. If you are worried about distance, maybe finding something closer to home would make you feel better though. Orlando isn't going anywhere and will still be there when you are ready to return.