• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Totally screwed by Autoslash/Priceline/Hertz

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Not understanding you question/concern. When you enter a search,or tracking, into AutoSlash you get a screen that asks you for any affiliations you have. Things like airlines, clubs like Costco or Sam's and rental car memberships. Just click that. That should give you any benefits, like the second driver free, that those memberships allow. I found this out from someone at AutoSlash when I questioned the second driver fee at one time.

I thought the Costco second driver free only works when you book via Costco. If it works on all car rentals no matter where booked, I didn't know that and that's fantastic news. If so, do you show your Costco card to get it at the counter if they push back?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not understanding you question/concern. When you enter a search,or tracking, into AutoSlash you get a screen that asks you for any affiliations you have. Things like airlines, clubs like Costco or Sam's and rental car memberships. Just click that. That should give you any benefits, like the second driver free, that those memberships allow. I found this out from someone at AutoSlash when I questioned the second driver fee at one time.

I'm with you. If games are being played, or commitments not met, it's usually the rental car company. What I've done in the past is go ahead and pay the extra, then dispute it when I get home. I don't think I've had an instance where I haven't gotten a refund. But, I will also say the times I've had to do this have been very few and far between.

And now for my latest success story with AutoSlash. Dh and I are going to Carmel, CA in August. We'll be there for 4 days. My first car rental reservation for $360. It's now down to $181, and I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped again. Every time there has been a lower price found I've been notified by AutoSlash.

For the reason that car rental companies play games or maybe they really won't honor 2nd driver for free unless reserving directly through Costco, we only stick to Costco and have never had problems with getting 2nd driver for free.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I thought the Costco second driver free only works when you book via Costco. If it works on all car rentals no matter where booked, I didn't know that and that's fantastic news. If so, do you show your Costco card to get it at the counter if they push back?
Yep, that Costco benefit works even if you don't book through Costco. Again, I was told that my someone who works for AutoSlash. And to be honest, I've never had a car rental company push back on that. I was thinking that it should confirm the second driver is free when you get the email confirmation, but it could be that I've been seeing that confirmation when I go into the rental car webiste to check the reservation.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
For the reason that car rental companies play games or maybe they really won't honor 2nd driver for free unless reserving directly through Costco, we only stick to Costco and have never had problems with getting 2nd driver for free.
As I said in my last post, as I was told by someone who works for AutoSlash, you WILL get the Costco benefits when you book through AutoSlash. We have never had an issue with that. I love Costco, I'm a loyal customer, and if their prices were cheaper I'd use them for car rental, but for the past few years AutoSlash has beat them.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Call me paranoid, but when I book rental cars in places where rebooking on arrival would cost a fortune (Albuquerque for Balloon Fiesta, for example) I book two Costco rentals with different rental car companies. There is no penalty for cancelling, even day of. I wait until I have the rental agreement in hand and have checked out the car using the first reservation, then go on-line and cancel the second reservation. I have never had to use the second reservation, but I came close once when they gave me a tiny, tiny car and tried to convince me it was an intermediate. I rent cars almost weekly and I know a compact when I see it.

Just managed to lower my Costco Albuquerque rate for this October by $100 over the weekend. I check every week or so and the rates had been the same for 3 or 4 months. Don't know why they suddenly went down, but I rebooked both of my reservations and got a better car than originally booked.

Sheila

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Call me paranoid, but when I book rental cars in places where rebooking on arrival would cost a fortune (Albuquerque for Balloon Fiesta, for example) I book two Costco rentals with different rental car companies. There is no penalty for cancelling, even day of. I wait until I have the rental agreement in hand and have checked out the car using the first reservation, then go on-line and cancel the second reservation. I have never had to use the second reservation, but I came close once when they gave me a tiny, tiny car and tried to convince me it was an intermediate. I rent cars almost weekly and I know a compact when I see it.

Just managed to lower my Costco Albuquerque rate for this October by $100 over the weekend. I check every week or so and the rates had been the same for 3 or 4 months. Don't know why they suddenly went down, but I rebooked both of my reservations and got a better car than originally booked.

Sheila
Kind of off of the topic for rental cars, but we will be flying home (to Santa Fe) and landing in Albuquerque on October 9. Since we have a late arrival we'll be spending the night at the Days Inn near the airport. We are also staying there on our way out in September and are leaving our car at the hotel. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that prices are CRAZY in Albuquerque during Balloon Fiesta. Our room, which is $82 in September is $225 for the date during Balloon Fiesta!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Kind of off of the topic for rental cars, but we will be flying home (to Santa Fe) and landing in Albuquerque on October 9. Since we have a late arrival we'll be spending the night at the Days Inn near the airport. We are also staying there on our way out in September and are leaving our car at the hotel. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that prices are CRAZY in Albuquerque during Balloon Fiesta. Our room, which is $82 in September is $225 for the date during Balloon Fiesta!

Everything is definitely crazy expensive during Fiesta, but if you book early, you can usually find reasonable deals. The airport hotels are usually available later at a reasonable price than the ones closer to the park.

Sheila

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Everything is definitely crazy expensive during Fiesta, but if you book early, you can usually find reasonable deals. The airport hotels are usually available later at a reasonable price than the ones closer to the park.

Sheila
I'll keep checking to see if the rates go down closer to the date. I booked this in February.

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll keep checking to see if the rates go down closer to the date. I booked this in February.

That doesn't usually happen. Rental cars go up and down, but hotels seem to just go up and up. But I don't really follow hotel prices after we book. Flights really get crazy early. I missed the morning Southwest flights opened and by afternoon the cheaper flights were full. I moved my arrival back to Wednesday 10/2 and was able to reduce prices slightly into ABQ, but most flights on 10/13 are sold out and the prices are high on 10/14. I paid more than I wanted to for Monday flights home. Later the prices on 10/2 were up from what I paid.

On the other hand, the hotel we stay in usually has some vacancies mid-week. I've never ask them what they are priced at, but the weekends are definitely better attended. A single night might be reduced at some point just to fill it.

Good luck.

Sheila

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That doesn't usually happen. Rental cars go up and down, but hotels seem to just go up and up. But I don't really follow hotel prices after we book. Flights really get crazy early. I missed the morning Southwest flights opened and by afternoon the cheaper flights were full. I moved my arrival back to Wednesday 10/2 and was able to reduce prices slightly into ABQ, but most flights on 10/13 are sold out and the prices are high on 10/14. I paid more than I wanted to for Monday flights home. Later the prices on 10/2 were up from what I paid.

On the other hand, the hotel we stay in usually has some vacancies mid-week. I've never ask them what they are priced at, but the weekends are definitely better attended. A single night might be reduced at some point just to fill it.

Good luck.

Sheila
Well you said this in an earlier post. "The airport hotels are usually available later at a reasonable price than the ones closer to the park." Maybe I misinterpreted.

I will sometimes check hotel rates after I book and sometimes I will find they've dropped. But right now Days Inn is showing the same price we booked at. We kind of need to stay there since that is where our car will be and we get more free nights of parking if we stay two nights, rather than one.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well you said this in an earlier post. "The airport hotels are usually available later at a reasonable price than the ones closer to the park." Maybe I misinterpreted.

I will sometimes check hotel rates after I book and sometimes I will find they've dropped. But right now Days Inn is showing the same price we booked at. We kind of need to stay there since that is where our car will be and we get more free nights of parking if we stay two nights, rather than one.

I probably just didn't say it very well. I book my hotel room as soon as they are open. The first year we went to Fiesta (2012) we didn't decide until March or April that we were going. Airport hotels were still available, but there was limited availability close to the parks. I've also noticed that when major companies first open reservations, they often show no availability at all, but then a week or so later some rooms open up. I suspect they hold rooms for tour groups until those reservations are all firmed up.

Sheila

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I probably just didn't say it very well. I book my hotel room as soon as they are open. The first year we went to Fiesta (2012) we didn't decide until March or April that we were going. Airport hotels were still available, but there was limited availability close to the parks. I've also noticed that when major companies first open reservations, they often show no availability at all, but then a week or so later some rooms open up. I suspect they hold rooms for tour groups until those reservations are all firmed up.

Sheila
We have been traveling to NYC sometime around the end of September, beginning October the past few years. It usually involves us staying overnight at a hotel near the airport on at least the return leg. I don't try to avoid Balloon Fiesta week, I think this is only the second time we've stayed there during that time. I can only book as far ahead as I know the dates of our trip, and the times of our flights. It just is what it is.

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Hopefully my bookings with Autoslash prepaid, a standard SUV from Dollar rent a car will be ok. It's only $169.26 for 9 days in Oahu next month.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my earlier post I stated my Autoslash price was not honored at the Alamo desk. I was told by the rep a coupon had expired. I emailed AUTO/Slash and they said they would honor the original price and send me a check.
Autoslash came through. I received the check. Nice to receive great customer service.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
In my earlier post I stated my Autoslash price was not honored at the Alamo desk. I was told by the rep a coupon had expired. I emailed AUTO/Slash and they said they would honor the original price and send me a check.
Autoslash came through. I received the check. Nice to receive great customer service.

I am glad you are happy but that would not make me happy. Having to call customer service and and waiting for them to send a check is a hassle and a stress to what is supposed to be a vacation. Give me the car and price that I reserved to start with or I take my business elsewhere.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim I understand exactly what you are saying. One little correction is the fact that I E-MAILED autoslash customer service. They got back to me quickly and rectified the situation.

It brought back memories of when I was a child and my mother said, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Grace

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I am glad you are happy but that would not make me happy. Having to call customer service and and waiting for them to send a check is a hassle and a stress to what is supposed to be a vacation. Give me the car and price that I reserved to start with or I take my business elsewhere.
However, that is sometimes what you have to do.

To me it would be more of a hassle to take my business somewhere else at that point. I would take the car, and then deal with the car rental company, AutoSlash, Costco whoever, to make it right, like fillde did.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Sounds like the typical car rental agency bait and switch tactic similar to trying to scare you into buying the insurance or trying to hoist gas and damage fees on your rental if you fail to video the gas tank full and car undamaged. Shame on Hertz. I thought only the Thrifty's of the world did this. Good to know of this tactic.

I've never had a problem with Thrifty tho' not used recently, is this a real issue ? (Especially on Maui).

Sitting on a Thrifty resv for $550 for 14dys car rental on Maui in October, hoping to beat that :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I've never had a problem with Thrifty tho' not used recently, is this a real issue ? (Especially on Maui).

Sitting on a Thrifty resv for $550 for 14dys car rental on Maui in October, hoping to beat that :)

Our bad experience was in Spokane airport. Never rented from them on Maui but looks like an outstanding price which might be worth the extra time to document the car before and after, photo of the gas guage etc.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
I've never taken photos of car, gas gauge etc and never had any troubles with rent cars here or abroad.

Checked last night for Kahului and prices are now sensible, reserved my 14dys in October for approx $470 all in :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've never taken photos of car, gas gauge etc and never had any troubles with rent cars here or abroad.

Checked last night for Kahului and prices are now sensible, reserved my 14dys in October for approx $470 all in :)
Just booked for late Feb/early March 2020 on Maui and for a two week rental of an intermediate SUV it's $774 with Budget through AutoSlash. I expect that to change multiple times by the time we actually go.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I've never taken photos of car, gas gauge etc and never had any troubles with rent cars here or abroad. <snip>

We never took photos either until Budget on the Big Island tried to charge us a huge amount for repairing chips on the windshield. We turned it over to our auto insurance company and provided information to show that the mileage was wrong (in other words, the car had been driven further after we turned it in), and they got Budget to drop the charges. But now we will take photos!

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Jim, could it be a matter of them not having your RESERVATION visible, because it was through a third party (Autoslash/whoever)? I've seen where a reservation through Costco couldn't be CHANGED by the rental agency, and they sent me back to Costco to make the change. Maybe something similar is happening here. Either way, there is a disconnect somewhere. Maybe that location doesn't have that vehicle type? But even so, it would simply mean giving you the closest they'd have to what you reserved. Regardless, it all sounds like shenanigans.

My go-to for Hawaii is either Costco or Discount Hawaii Car Rental. I check both, and have never had an issue with either company. My loyalty program codes are on my reservations, and I never have to wait in line to get a car. I've never found Autoslash to be a lower price, for the few times I've tried it. I just don't trust Priceline for anything.

Car rentals in Hawaii frequently book out everything on the lot, so a discounted rate for unrented equipment seems unlikely, and fraught with issues. I'd rather (potentially) spend a few bucks more and make sure I'm getting what I want. The savings difference is not worth the hassle.

Dave
I'm trying something different this time. We have an off-airport booking on Maui with Enterprise for a Hyundai Elantra...at about half the price of an on-airport booking (made well in advance). Now all we need do is get there (it's about 1.5 miles from the airport). Enterprise ads say they will pick us up for free, but I'm not sure this works for pickups at the airport. We shall see. A taxi for this short distance should not be too bad if we have to go that route.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Just booked for late Feb/early March 2020 on Maui and for a two week rental of an intermediate SUV it's $774 with Budget through AutoSlash. I expect that to change multiple times by the time we actually go.
We have a 30-day rental booked off-airport with Enterprise for April 2020: $731.87 for a Hyundai Elantra. I will get a feel in 3 weeks for how this may work out, as we have a similar $573.93 rental for 22 says starting then. Both pricings are significantly less than anything we could find with Autoslash, Costco, or USAA. The secret seems to be to book well in advance.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have a 30-day rental booked off-airport with Enterprise for April 2020: $731.87 for a Hyundai Elantra. I will get a feel in 3 weeks for how this may work out, as we have a similar $573.93 rental for 22 says starting then. Both pricings are significantly less than anything we could find with Autoslash, Costco, or USAA. The secret seems to be to book well in advance.
How far ahead did you book? And by what method? Direct with the company? Did you use some kind of search that compared prices?

I've found, in the past, that the "best" price is about 6 months out. But I register my reservations with AutoSlash and many times they do come down. I even found one year that checking the prices a couple of days before the rental resulted in a large savings.