• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Ko'Olina visit this summer

PeteBob

Reaction score
I visited the Marriott Ko'Olina property this summer. This is a nice place for little kids. It's also a nice place if you're with friends or other family members. But as a single family without little kids, it's not as desirable as it once was for us.

The good:
Excellent pools, big, warm, open all night and the morning lap lane is a bonus for swimmers.
Employees are extremely helpful.
The gas firepits are very cool.
Surprisingly, the jacuzzi's were available at night (not busy).
The DVD vending machines had some excellent titles.
The waves on the beach are fun for kids.
The waves are also a teachable moment for kids to understand about undertows.

The bad:
Crowded in summer, just accept it.
The lagoon has lost its appeal. My kids are a little older and capable to snorkel. The lagoon is so cloudy due to the sand that was dumped in the lagoon that it's challenging to see any fish. The kids lost interest in snorkeling very quickly.

The ugly:
$40 per day for parking at the hotel. Wow! What a scam. From what I could see, the garage was never full (no surprise). I used Uber to say "screw you" to Marriott and their abusive parking tax. I ubered to/from the airport to the hotel, to Costco (3 times). I saved a lot of money by "Just saying NO!" to Marriott's parking fee scam.

The 2nd scam is the "store" at the hotel. Wow! 200% mark up (or more) on most items.

It's a business. I get it. They need to be profitable. But the level of greed at this place is excessive. My kids have made it clear they do not want to go back again because of the cloudy beach

If you rent a car at the hotel, your only choice is Enterprise and you will pay more than $100 plus gas. You do get the car for the entire day.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Interesting comments on Ko Olina -- there are things we like and things we do not (but I wish I was there right now!).

We've been able to avoid the parking fee, not sure why -- even when we've been trading in with Interval. Of course, when we don't go off property for the day, we end up paying for a idle rental car!!!

I do love the BBQs on the point by Hale Naia -- fantastic place to grill when the sunset is approaching. Thanks for the note and welcome to TUG!

Best,

Greg

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've contemplated going back to Ko Olina in 2021. Parking fee isn't an issue for us as an owner. But last time I was there (2017) the lagoon was cloudy as well. However, there are other more desirable places for snorkeling.

The parking garage is only full during the evenings when people come back from their excursions. Other than that, one should be seeking out adventure across the island.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for your feedback on your experiences at Ko Olina.

Unfortunately if you stay there using Bonvoy points or rent a unit directly from Marriott you have to pay for parking. As Greg and Steven mentioned, as an owner and as an exchanger parking is complimentary. We have stayed there both ways and it hasn’t been an issue.

We love the resort and look forward to being there again next June.

Best regards.

Mike

PeteBob

Reaction score
I am a owner (MVC points, not MR points), not a renter or a or cashing out points. I specifically mentioned the daily parking fee when I checked in at the front desk and recall telling them I was disappointed with the $40 dollar fee per day. Additionally, I never saw anywhere on a Marriott web page that the parking is free for owners.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a owner (MVC points, not MR points), not a renter or a or cashing out points. I specifically mentioned the daily parking fee when I checked in at the front desk and recall telling them I was disappointed with the $40 dollar fee per day. Additionally, I never saw anywhere on a Marriott web page that the parking is free for owners.
But it is including owners staying on exchanges though apparently not for Reward points stays.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
These are interesting comments by the OP. With all the back and forth use of Uber and inconvenience I have to wonder about saving money. Having to use the onsite store was a byproduct of not having a car. My full size car for eight days cost $290 (Hertz thru Autoslash) and as an owner parked for free. When I divide my cost per day for the rental car vs. Uber (and being stranded most days) one has to struggle understanding the OP's complaint, but look again it should not be toward Marriott!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I agree with Steven. Definitely follow up on that as they should not have charged you for parking. Please let us know how it goes.

Edit- after reading the OP’s opening post, he didn’t pay for parking as he decided not to rent a car. So, no follow up is needed in this case.

Best regards.

Mike

Last edited:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I think the OP assumed he would be charged for parking so he didn’t rent a car.

How does the saying go? When you assume you make an *** out of u and me. Kidding there!!

Marriott owners weeks,Points, or II traders as owners are not charged for parking.

Unfortunately OP is mad about a fee he never would have paid.

Ko Olina is my least favorite Hawaii Marriott but still a better option than no Hawaii.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
I visited the Marriott Ko'Olina property this summer. This is a nice place for little kids. It's also a nice place if you're with friends or other family members. But as a single family without little kids, it's not as desirable as it once was for us.

The good:
Excellent pools, big, warm, open all night and the morning lap lane is a bonus for swimmers.

The bad:
The lagoon has lost its appeal. My kids are a little older and capable to snorkel. The lagoon is so cloudy due to the sand that was dumped in the lagoon that it's challenging to see any fish. The kids lost interest in snorkeling very quickly.

The ugly:
$40 per day for parking at the hotel. Wow! What a scam. From what I could see, the garage was never full (no surprise). I used Uber to say "screw you" to Marriott and their abusive parking tax. I ubered to/from the airport to the hotel, to Costco (3 times). I saved a lot of money by "Just saying NO!" to Marriott's parking fee scam.

The 2nd scam is the "store" at the hotel. Wow! 200% mark up (or more) on most items.

It's a business. I get it. They need to be profitable. But the level of greed at this place is excessive. My kids have made it clear they do not want to go back again because of the cloudy beach

If you rent a car at the hotel, your only choice is Enterprise and you will pay more than $100 plus gas. You do get the car for the entire day.

Paying for parking sucks. But unfortunately it's on of those things that you might have to deal with (if they don't give you a refund). Most of the big hotels in Waikiki would also charge about $40 a day. Part of paying for paradise I suppose.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Paying for parking sucks. But unfortunately it's on of those things that you might have to deal with (if they don't give you a refund). Most of the big hotels in Waikiki would also charge about $40 a day. Part of paying for paradise I suppose.

The difference with Waikiki is that you can walk or take public transit. Not an option at Ko Olina.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi PeeBob:

Welcome to TUG.
It's unfortunate that you didn't post here before you went to Ko Olina. Then you would have been informed that you don't pay the parking fee.

We went for the first time in June and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Where's your next trip?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I’m truly sorry you are angry at Ko’Olina and won’t be going again. We love Oahu and especially Ko’Olina. We always rent a car (I can’t imagine being on Oahu without one) and have never paid parking there. We spend a lot of time in Kailua and Kaneohe and up on the North shore and also enjoy a day or two at Waikiki, so we have to have a car.

ArubaEileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in November on an Interval trade. We rented a car for the week, and we were not charged parking. You definitely need a car at this resort, but we did use the shuttle often to go to Monkey Pod, Roys, etc, and it worked out great! We absolutely loved the resort, and would like to return, if only it wasn't such a long flight from Chicago!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I still am not clear about what type of reservation you were on. Was it a:
- reserved owned week
- DC points reservation
- II exchange week
- Bonvoy points reservation (formerly Marriott Rewards)
- Cash stay?

Also, I have never thought of the lagoons as being snorkeling destinations. In fact, I'm surprised how many fish there actually are as the lagoons are primarily sand bottoms. Some fish around the rock breaks, but these are a bonus IMO. No way these man made lagoons could be expected to have conditions conducive to real snorkeling. Without the lagoons there likely would be no swimmable beach at Ko Olina.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

Since you are so upset at Marriott and the greed at Ko'Olina, I just wanted to clarify a couple of points. You are never charged a parking fee there as an owner or an exchanger. The parking fee is charged on paying guests, just like most hotels, resorts, etc. The Marketplace is not owned or managed by Marriott and has no control over the prices they charge. Enterprise car rental sets the prices for their cars, and again Marriott has no control over the prices. Actually, car rental prices on the Hawaiian islands have climbed steadily in the past few years. Alamo car rental is located close by at Aulani and the daily rate there is even higher for the daily rentals.

It is too bad you were so unhappy with Marriott, perhaps you would be more satisfied with another property.

Lansdowne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KoOlina, Sabal Palms, Manor Club, Desert Willow, Kaanapali South, Trust Points
Sorry to hear about the lagoon. Perhaps they used too fine a sand. Hopefully the sand will settle. We were there last August and the lagoon was stirred up, too, and choppy for Ko Olina. However, there was a hurricane that dumped a lot of water throughout the island but fortunately for us veered west in time to miss Oahu.

We, too, have never had to pay for parking as an owner or exchanger.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
2 posts by OP. I feel this thread was a scam. :rolleyes:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that the Aulani has an Alamo Car Rental outlet then I no longer see the need to rent a car to sit in the garage most of the week. I will take an Uber from the airport and rent a car whenever I really need a car (which isn't often).

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that the Aulani has an Alamo Car Rental outlet then I no longer see the need to rent a car to sit in the garage most of the week. I will take an Uber from the airport and rent a car whenever I really need a car (which isn't often).

We spent a month there this winter and found renting by the day was perfect for us. Enterprise at KO'Olina also offers twilight rates, so you can pick up a car after 4pm and go out for dinner,

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
2 posts by OP. I feel this thread was a scam. :rolleyes:

Probably not a scam just a hit and run bashing of Marriott. We have seen plenty of those over the years.

Wei339

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko olina
It is disappointing to see these types of posts that are disingenuous especially when tug members are genuinely interested in assisting. Looking back his post, I really wonder if he was a MVC owner because unless it was his first visit, he should have already experienced no parking fees for owners. Kudos to everyone for their helpful posts.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Probably not a scam just a hit and run bashing of Marriott. We have seen plenty of those over the years.
No, not in the literal sense. I was making light of the fact that the OP made 2 posts never to return when his "scam" was refuted:
The ugly: