• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bundle Purchase - Think we want to rescind

mwoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Current owner with one enrolled week. We are wanting to increase our DC points and ended up purchasing a bundle with Custom House and 2k DC points. The DC points cost was $12.82 per point for $25,640 and CH was $6,400. It is my fault for not asking more about the CH week, including the MF which I wasn't focused on while I was at the table. Now understanding the high MF with that property as well as it being only a 1BR(I know it can trade for 2) seems like this is not a good deal.

Our goal is to have enough DC points to get to executive level so we can get the 13 month window without a premium as well as no requirement for 7 nights. I'd appreciate any advice as to the best way to accomplish this.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Another owner recently posted they purchased a Spain week from MVC that comes already enrolled worth 2,750 points for around 13k. If your goal is to get to 7500 or more points, you could consider buying two of those weeks for approx. $26k and get 5,500 points you can elect every year (on top of the value of your enrolled week and any other points you already own). Even if you never go to Spain, you can just convert them for points every year to use elsewhere (and I understand the MF on these weeks breaks down to .41 per point, which is rather low). Another option.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
So your total cost is about $32,000? What is the Custom House week worth in points? I'm assuming that since they only required you to buy 2K DC Points, the Custom House must be worth less then 2K. If that is the case, that means your net cost of points is over $8/point. If the maintenance fee at Custom House is high, what is the Mf cost per point for those elected points? If its over $0.58, and given your likely $8/point purchase cost, it would be cheaper to rescind what you bought and then buy resale points on the external market. Assume you can get 4000 points on the external resale market for about $4 or so per point (maybe even a little less, but those would be at risk of ROFR by MVC). To get full usage of those points, you would need to pay Marriott an activation fee of $3/point, so your total cost would be around $7/point. For 4000 points, that would be about $28,000, so you save $4000 over what your bundle is costing. Your maintenance fee on those 4000 points would also be $0.58/point or $2320 per year. How does that compare to the maintenance fee on your bundle?

mwoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
So your total cost is about $32,000? What is the Custom House week worth in points? I'm assuming that since they only required you to buy 2K DC Points, the Custom House must be worth less then 2K. If that is the case, that means your net cost of points is over $8/point. If the maintenance fee at Custom House is high, what is the Mf cost per point for those elected points? If its over $0.58, and given your likely $8/point purchase cost, it would be cheaper to rescind what you bought and then buy resale points on the external market. Assume you can get 4000 points on the external resale market for about $4 or so per point (maybe even a little less, but those would be at risk of ROFR by MVC). To get full usage of those points, you would need to pay Marriott an activation fee of $3/point, so your total cost would be around $7/point. For 4000 points, that would be about $28,000, so you save $4000 over what your bundle is costing. Your maintenance fee on those 4000 points would also be $0.58/point or $2320 per year. How does that compare to the maintenance fee on your bundle?

I don't have it in front of me but I think the week transferred to 2,695 DC points. I remember them saying the cost per point was under $7. What is the reason to buy a deeded week anymore vs. just buying DC points?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask them for another property instead of CH. Looks like they are trying to get rid of them. I suggest looking into resale points. I bought 1500 points to get into Executive and it's been great. 13 month window and you can book one day instead of a week.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Current owner with one enrolled week. We are wanting to increase our DC points and ended up purchasing a bundle with Custom House and 2k DC points. The DC points cost was $12.82 per point for $25,640 and CH was $6,400. It is my fault for not asking more about the CH week, including the MF which I wasn't focused on while I was at the table. Now understanding the high MF with that property as well as it being only a 1BR(I know it can trade for 2) seems like this is not a good deal.

Our goal is to have enough DC points to get to executive level so we can get the 13 month window without a premium as well as no requirement for 7 nights. I'd appreciate any advice as to the best way to accomplish this.

The entire deal sounds on the high side to me. I would think you would want to buy your points on the resale market and save yourself some money (without the burden of another week with high annual maintenance fees).

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't have it in front of me but I think the week transferred to 2,695 DC points. I remember them saying the cost per point was under $7. What is the reason to buy a deeded week anymore vs. just buying DC points?

If that is correct, then that makes it a much better deal on the purchase side and would be under $7/point, which is very good. I've never heard of them allowing a week worth 2695 to be enrolled with only a 2000 point purchase. Usually, they would require the purchase to at least equal the week's point value, in increments of 250 points - so that would have typically been 2750 points required to buy. So if they let you enroll a 2695 week with only a 2000 point purchase, that is a good deal, IMHO. The only issue would be understanding what your maintenance fee cost per point would be for that week and making sure you are comfortable with that. With all of these deals, it becomes a balancing act between the up-front cost per point and the ongoing maintenance fee cost per point, trying to get them both as low as possible.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Custom House, but only because it was transferred to us by a family member. Although we love staying there, it has the highest MFs of any of our properties. I once deposited it into II, and it traded no better than my studio lock-off from Canyon Villas. So, strongly recommend you negotiate for another property with lower MFs or purchase resale points to get to your goal.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Ask them for another property instead of CH. Looks like they are trying to get rid of them. I suggest looking into resale points. I bought 1500 points to get into Executive and it's been great. 13 month window and you can book one day instead of a week.

Resale points are also an option, but as discussed in another thread, at roughly $7 per point (all in) to buy 1,500 resale points for $11k +/-, the OP could buy an enrolled Spain week direct from MVC Resales worth 2,750 points each year for $13k +/- or $4.75 per point (all in). I think that would still be the cheapest option overall. To get to Executive (their stated goal), they could just buy two of them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If that is correct, then that makes it a much better deal on the purchase side and would be under $7/point, which is very good. I've never heard of them allowing a week worth 2695 to be enrolled with only a 2000 point purchase. Usually, they would require the purchase to at least equal the week's point value, in increments of 250 points - so that would have typically been 2750 points required to buy. So if they let you enroll a 2695 week with only a 2000 point purchase, that is a good deal, IMHO. The only issue would be understanding what your maintenance fee cost per point would be for that week and making sure you are comfortable with that. With all of these deals, it becomes a balancing act between the up-front cost per point and the ongoing maintenance fee cost per point, trying to get them both as low as possible.
The recent presentation of bundles showed quite a few options where the week yielding more points than the pure points portion, including Custom House.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The recent presentation of bundles showed quite a few options where the week yielding more points than the pure points portion, including Custom House.

Just remember that the Spain weeks can only be sold in Spain. I think the conclusion in the other thread was that U.S. Central Sales and the U.S. Sales Offices can't sell them. It is possible to buy them in the U.S. remotely, but apparently you have to deal direct with the Spain sales office. The enrolled Aruba weeks didn't seem to be that much less costly, as I recall, about $29K for a roughly 3000 point week or $37K for a 4000 point week. The power of the Aruba weeks seemed to be more in the promo which allowed the purchase of one to enroll pre-existing post-2010 week(s) someone might own.

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
JIMinNC

They tried to sell me this same hybrid last week when I was trying to work around their retail sale. I asked about the 2k points with the "higher" number of enrolled points for that week. They told me it was a "special" they were running. As someone else mentioned....kind of sounds like they are pushing the CH property.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible to buy them in the U.S. remotely, but apparently you have to deal direct with the Spain sales office.

Which of course is just a phone call also, just like the US sales office. Not a big deal.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The 2695 doesn't fit my info. It should be 2475 for Gold or 2925 for Platinum. If it's a gold week I'd cancel for certain, if it's a Platinum week I still likely would but it is a way to get to the level you need. The one way I would want to own CH would be if I planned to use it routinely. Personally I'd rather pay more and have more points but a better per point price and lower dues. I'd likely just go resale points over this situation as I see the dues risk there more than the trust points.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Please do keep in mind that the Custom House is only an RTU week (Right to Use) and that it currently expires in about 38 years (2057).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Ju
Just remember that the Spain weeks can only be sold in Spain. I think the conclusion in the other thread was that U.S. Central Sales and the U.S. Sales Offices can't sell them. It is possible to buy them in the U.S. remotely, but apparently you have to deal direct with the Spain sales office. The enrolled Aruba weeks didn't seem to be that much less costly, as I recall, about $29K for a roughly 3000 point week or $37K for a 4000 point week. The power of the Aruba weeks seemed to be more in the promo which allowed the purchase of one to enroll pre-existing post-2010 week(s) someone might own.
Just got off the phone with Central sales. Aruba Surf Club platinum week was offered to me for 45K worth 4,070 points enrolled.

I tried getting her to give me info on any new program but she said no one knows as of now and they are all waiting. She admitted they had no idea and they all assume there will be something like no fee exchange possible in the near future but they expect/hope for something within the year, Since synergy is what MVC has said they wanted. Then she mentioned how the DC program was rolled out and how it affected resale weeks back then and who knows if that would apply to a new program for vistana weeks. She didn’t sell me on “buying now” to be in the program before prices go up like we’ve heard from sales reps at resorts, but she did sell me on buying now because of the large point incentive they are offering. A large incentive they have never offered before.

She said a hybrid week comes with two maint fees and the best way in was the Aruba enrolled week since it had a maint fee of around 1800 for 4k enrolled points. Keep in mind that’s what i led with, so it’s easy to sell someone on what they asked for. However, We are looking at other options. She did say that if I bought the Aruba week who knows about the future, but the current ownership i have now with VSE could bring me over the executive level if there is enrollment of resale weeks.

Then she hit me with the villas of Distinction which kind of has me hooked. What are we looking at with VOD? Anyone have success with that?

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ju

Just got off the phone with Central sales. Aruba Surf Club platinum week was offered to me for 45K worth 4,070 points enrolled.

I tried getting her to give me info on any new program but she said no one knows as of now and they are all waiting. She admitted they had no idea and they all assume there will be something like no fee exchange possible in the near future but they expect/hope for something within the year, Since synergy is what MVC has said they wanted. Then she mentioned how the DC program was rolled out and how it affected resale weeks back then and who knows if that would apply to a new program for vistana weeks. She didn’t sell me on “buying now” to be in the program before prices go up like we’ve heard from sales reps at resorts, but she did sell me on buying now because of the large point incentive they are offering. A large incentive they have never offered before.

She said a hybrid week comes with two maint fees and the best way in was the Aruba enrolled week since it had a maint fee of around 1800 for 4k enrolled points. Keep in mind that’s what i led with, so it’s easy to sell someone on what they asked for. However, We are looking at other options. She did say that if I bought the Aruba week who knows about the future, but the current ownership i have now with VSE could bring me over the executive level if there is enrollment of resale weeks.

Then she hit me with the villas of extinction which kind of has me hooked. What are we looking at with VOD? Anyone have success with that?
Villas of Extinction - that’s funny

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Ju

Just got off the phone with Central sales. Aruba Surf Club platinum week was offered to me for 45K worth 4,070 points enrolled. Asked about new program. They said they had no idea and they all assume there will be something like no fee exchange possible in the near future but they expect/hope for something within the year. Since synergy is what they want. Then she mentioned how th DC program was rolled out and how it affected resale weeks back then and who knows if that would apply to a new program. Of course the Aruba week came with a ton of incentive points. Then she hit me with the villas of extinction which kind of has me hooked. What are we looking at there? Anyone have success with that? She said a hybrid week comes with two maint fees and the best way was the Aruba enrolled week since it had a maint fee of around 1800 for 4k enrolled points. We are looking at other options. She did say that if I bought the Aruba week who knows about the future but the current ownership i have now could bring me over the executive level if there is enrollment of resale weeks

Wow; $45K seems really high for that. Someone posted back in April that they were offered what sounds like the same thing for $36.9K in August 2018 - an Aruba Surf Club worth 4075 points. See link:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/aruba-surf-presentation.289369/page-2

I can't imagine they would have raised prices that much in just a year. That's a 22% increase. If that is their standard pricing now, it comes out to $11/point, not much different than Trust points. Only advantage would be the lower maintenance fee ($1870) per point $0.46 vs. $0.58 for Trust points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I
Villas of Extinction - that’s funny
Ipad autoincorrect. As you’ll see I had put “VOD” lol. I don’t think villas of extinction would be good. There wouldn’t be any left Lol

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Wow; $45K seems really high for that. Someone posted back in April that they were offered what sounds like the same thing for $36.9K in August 2018 - an Aruba Surf Club worth 4075 points. See link:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/aruba-surf-presentation.289369/page-2

I can't imagine they would have raised prices that much in just a year. That's a 22% increase. If that is their standard pricing now, it comes out to $11/point, not much different than Trust points. Only advantage would be the lower maintenance fee ($1870) per point $0.46 vs. $0.58 for Trust points.
Well as she said, MVC does not negotiate on price, but if I buy two weeks they will try to get a discount. 45k is too high, I’ll stick it out and hope they allow me to enroll current weeks I own (hopefully a developer week isn’t needed since I sold mine). she mentioned they are working things out to make it “fair for all”. Let’s just hope Orlando properties aren’t worthless if enrolled.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The Ocean Club Platinum OV was $45.6K back in March but it's 4425 pts.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The Ocean Club Platinum OV was $45.6K back in March but it's 4425 pts.
I was told the surf club was less expensive and I forgot to mention it was OV.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told the surf club was less expensive and I forgot to mention it was OV.
OV should be a fair amount less expensive since it's lower than ocean side and has less DC points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
OV should be a fair amount less expensive since it's lower than ocean side and has less DC points.
$45,640 was the offer, the discount on the week isn’t a big difference she said and I’ll save on the maint fee which was 1800. It was an ocean-view and the incentive was “gigantic”. Because of the 35th anniversary they are giving an incentive of 9K total points plus the financing incentive for an additional 4K points.