• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt and ROFR

redgirlraven

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Hello,
I just purchased a Hyatt Ka'anapali timeshare and am still within the cancelation period. I am wondering if anyone has recently successfully sold/purchased there without Hyatt excersising their ROFR? I see similar properties on resale marketplaces for much less than what I am paying and want to know if it is realistic that I would be able to buy one resale?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard any reports of Hyatt exercising their ROFR for several months. I have bought a couple of weeks that really should have been picked up by Hyatt, but it seems like Marriott isn't picking up weeks as they figure out the integration.

I know of other TUGgers that have had the same experience.

Here's my take on Ka'anapali:
If it's a week that works well for you and is a price that you feel good about, and maintenance fees seem doable then I'd go with it.

A couple of other (personal) thoughts:
If it's not a high demand week (summer, or first few months of the year), then there's almost no benefit to owning at HKB. You DO NOT get any priority with other weeks at HKB other than your deeded week. You do get the benefit of always being able to definitively plan around your deeded week. This IS worth it for a lot of people and I can understand why. I am a bit more flexible though.

If you own at any other Hyatt resort, you can always trade in to HKB (and other Hyatt resorts). By trading in you have the same preference as any other owners (even those that own at Maui, provided it isn't their deeded week). There is decent availability at HKB via the waitlist and by booking at around 6 months out as HRPP expires for the deeded owners and their points move to CUP.

The ideal situation is to buy a resale week at a Hyatt property that you would like to use, and trade it if you want something else. I have weeks that I could use if I had to, but do a lot of trading. In a perfect world, I would have been a bit pickier about the exact week. However, I am happy with what I have.

redgirlraven

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Thanks so much for your response.
So I purchased an every other year flexible week Diamond - not a specific week in general. do you think I should ditch it to try and buy resale for considerable savings? Also will I still get to use interval international if I buy resale?

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ka'anapali, Hyatt Highlands, Riviera Beach & Spa
Welcome to Tug!

To give you more time to review options, I'd rescind.

As to your direct question, I am in the process of purchasing an additional week at Hyatt Ka'anapali for a 1BR annual off season at the lowest price I had seen. It was low enough that I was concerned about ROFR, but that did not happen. Hyatt waived and I just sent the closing docs to the title and escrow company.

If you're not purchasing a deeded week, then I would consider purchasing another Hyatt property for trade into HKB. I haven't done this, but others seem to be successful as travelhacker noted.

Yes, resale can still be traded into Interval.

redgirlraven

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Welcome to Tug!

To give you more time to review options, I'd rescind.

As to your direct question, I am in the process of purchasing an additional week at Hyatt Ka'anapali for a 1BR annual off season at the lowest price I had seen. It was low enough that I was concerned about ROFR, but that did not happen. Hyatt waived and I just sent the closing docs to the title and escrow company.

If you're not purchasing a deeded week, then I would consider purchasing another Hyatt property for trade into HKB. I haven't done this, but others seem to be successful as travelhacker noted.

Yes, resale can still be traded into Interval.
But can I still get the "Getaways" with Interval that doesn't involve trading into them, just the special pricing?

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But can I still get the "Getaways" with Interval that doesn't involve trading into them, just the special pricing?

Yes, the "Getaways" are also available. Based on the locations I search for the "Getaways" are not of the same standards/quality as the Hyatts. Others can correct me.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you purchase a Hyatt, membership to Interval is included (with your maintenance fees). This means that you would have access to Getaways. I personally love Getaways, but be aware that most of the inventory is either in very overbuilt areas (Orlando) or areas that have a very defined low season (i.e. Phoenix in July). There are definitely some occasional gems depending on your travel preferences (for example, ski weeks the week before Christmas work out great for me).

What weeks are included in your flexible week? If it includes dates that you would use on a regular basis, it could work.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the "Getaways" are also available. Based on the locations I search for the "Getaways" are not of the same standards/quality as the Hyatts. Others can correct me.

This is mostly true. There are definitely some quality resorts available on getaways (my first few times staying at Hyatt's was on Interval Getaways...sadly Hyatt blocks access to getaways to owners). However, it is mostly limited to off-season or areas that have A LOT of timeshares (Orlando, Williamsburg, etc).

I really like the Getaway alert feature in the Interval app. I've used it to get some good weeks as getaways.

redgirlraven

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
This is mostly true. There are definitely some quality resorts available on getaways (my first few times staying at Hyatt's was on Interval Getaways...sadly Hyatt blocks access to getaways to owners). However, it is mostly limited to off-season or areas that have A LOT of timeshares (Orlando, Williamsburg, etc).

I really like the Getaway alert feature in the Interval app. I've used it to get some good weeks as getaways.
Really? does Hyatt block the getaways to owners who buy from the developer as well? I am asking because I got the impression from the sales person at Hyatt that the Getaways were only for people who purchased directly from the developer.

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really? does Hyatt block the getaways to owners who buy from the developer as well? I am asking because I got the impression from the sales person at Hyatt that the Getaways were only for people who purchased directly from the developer.

Definitely not true, my Interval International account only has Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach and I see Getaways. Is there a location/time you're interested? Happy to search for you to see what I get as a result.

This is mostly true. There are definitely some quality resorts available on getaways (my first few times staying at Hyatt's was on Interval Getaways...sadly Hyatt blocks access to getaways to owners).

I have access to a non-Hyatt Interval International account and will do a few searched for kicks. Let me see if I get any Hyatts...

Also appreciate the tip for the Interval App. Honestly would never have considered installing without your recommendation @travelhacker.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, if you are a Hyatt Owner (resale or developer purchased), you are blocked from purchasing getaways or exchanging into Hyatt units. This is the only restriction. However, if you own a separate timeshare that is affiliated with Interval you can exchange and purchase getaways with Hyatt's (i.e. you own a Marriott week, you can purchase Hyatt Getaways and exchange into Hyatt).

I have NEVER seen a getaway at HKB. It's possible there may have been something back when it opened, but I've never seen one.

Last edited:

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Woah!

For the non-Hyatt Interval International account, I did a broad search by location for now till 2/2021, and didn't find any carmel, pinon point, but did see key west locations!

Hyatt Beach House Resort
Key West , FL , USA
HYB
icon_premier_small.png

Interval
Gold
Platinum

Aug 25 2019 - Sep 01 2019
icon_kitchen.gif
$1,399.00 $1,374.00 $1,349.00
Sep 01 2019 - Sep 08 2019
icon_kitchen.gif

$1,399.00 $1,374.00 $1,349.00
Sep 29 2019 - Oct 06 2019
icon_kitchen.gif

$1,489.00 $1,464.00 $1,439.00
More Dates

Hyatt Windward Pointe
Key West , FL , USA
HWP
icon_elite_small.png

Member Gold
Platinum

Aug 18 2019 - Aug 25 2019
icon_kitchen.gif

$1,649.00 $1,624.00 $1,599.00
Aug 24 2019 - Aug 31 2019
icon_kitchen.gif

$1,649.00 $1,624.00 $1,599.00
Aug 25 2019 - Sep 01 2019
icon_kitchen.gif

$1,529.00 $1,504.00 $1,479.00
More Dates

For my Hyatt account, I get nothing in key west! "There is no availability for Key West, FL, USA. Please view the surrounding areas." I also don't get results if I request the individual resorts HYB or HWP.

I may search around more, but perhaps I'm going to Key West :)

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@gratiem Glad that tip helped you out. I have seen availability for getaways for all of the Hyatt's at some point in time except:

1) Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach
2) Northstar
3) Hacienda Del Mar (in fairness it hasn't been open since I've looked, I'd imagine it will have good availability when they do re-open)
4) Siesta Key

Some of the weeks have been incredibly cheap too (The Key West weeks are typically pretty consistent with what you're seeing now). You may consider waiting for a getaway sale which seem to happen every 4-6 weeks or so, unless there is a week that works much better for you than others.

If you're happy with the cost for the Hyatt getaways, I'd set up some alerts to see if you can snag a week that you'd like.

You may be able to exchange into a Hyatt using your non-Hyatt week as well (set up an ongoing request as early as you can).

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, they do come up but I have learned if you need 2bdrm, it’s better to own. Carmel has higher MFs so it’s either utilized, split into shorter stays or even rented depending on season. Sedona has the lowest MFs and is similar. However you can find off season. We are currently closing on both. It took us a bit to find in our price range but we did.