• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Nanea for my first visit - some thoughts

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Nanea now ... wondering what the weather will hold with tropical storm flossie brushing by the island soon...

First time staying at Nanea though I have stayed at both phases of WKORN before.

I am in 1st floor of building 6 (2BR) through II exchange. The grill and adult plunge pool area is right outside our slider. All in all, pretty happy because though it is on the 1st floor, it isnt a parking lot view, it is a relatively low traffic area so privacy isnt a huge issue, and it is easy access to the pool area through the slider - great for a family of 5 with small kids.

I also have a 3rd floor 1BR unit in building 8. This was a nice location as it has a partial ocean view, even though I booked a regular view on SOs. Great for my parents since they like to sit on the balcony, and they can see the pool where my kids are most of the time without leaving their room.

I'm sure some of the following observations have been posted before so ignore if this is a repeat for you:

1. The property is crowded this week as I am sure it is during all summer weeks. While I know I can go into the other pools, I wish they had more pool area here. I feel like the pool area overall is smaller than at the other WKORV properties.

2. I also dont see any wristbands in use so they arent even faking that they are doing some enforcement that guests are using the pool. I also didnt see any chair hog enforcement which is disappointing since all the chairs were full at noon.

3. The loungers that sit directly in the pool are cool. I like those.

4. The unit itself is pretty well thought out. I like the pantry area to store food items though my wife says there is no prep space for meals except for the kitchen table. I also like the shelf near the door to store more pantry items and the closet in the main living area for the guest that is using the pull out sofa to store their clothes. Storage was really well done here.

5. This is a gripe for all Westin properties, not just here. I like the Westin signature branded scent. They pump it into the lobby at a lot of their hotels. But, I wish Westin would spend more on branded toiletries. Their shampoos and soaps feel cheap, and just because I like the lobby smell, doesnt mean that I want to go out smelling like the Westin. Less problematic here because I bring my own shampoo and soap versus short business trips. But I compare to the Marriott Hawaii timeshare properties that use Malie products which I love.

6. Having 6 placesettings for 5 people is annoying. I know the units only sleep 6, but I guess I am used to the lockoffs that sleep 8 and have 8 placesettings. We are always running the dishwasher and they only provided 2 dishwasher packets. I know I can call, but it is annoying and it feels like I am wasting water running the dishwasher with only 6 placesettings in it.

7. Kitchen is a bit tight with the dining table right in the middle. OK but prefer the space of WKORN units next door.

8. Lighting is always a pet peeve of mind, but this being newer, they did it right. The LED lighting is good at night though I wish the kitchen table lighting was a bit brighter.

9. Climate control in only the central area is a bit disappointing. The kitchen area is colder than the rooms. First world problems I know, but we are at a luxury property so wish at least the master had it's own control.

10. I didnt need a bathtub in the shared bath. Would have preferred a shower since there is a huge tub in the master.

If anyone wants pictures, happy to post them later.

Off to cook breakfast for the little ones...

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Enjoy your time at Nanea.

We own at both WKORVN and Nanea. We like WKORVN better because it is more of a full resort due to a good restaurant, however we love the layout of the villas at Nanea. We just wish Mauka Makai was a better dining experience. I much prefer the food at Pulehu and the setting next to the koi pond vs. the food at Mauka Makai with the setting next to the swimming pool with kids being loud.

2 - None of the three Vistana resorts on Maui use wristbands for the pool.

Also, unless something has changed since April the plunge pools are not adult only. I wish they were. We were enjoying ourselves when some rowdy kids jumped in. I got out to call security but before I did I noticed the sign saying only that children under a certain age needed adult supervision. Well, the parents were also sitting right next to the plunge pool so we just got out.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, you'll be happy to know ...

There are generic pool rules right next to the sign that say kids 12 and under need to be accompanied by adult. But I would assume that this sign takes precedence.

Parents need to be respectful of adult only areas. I have 3 kids, and I would never take them to an adult only pool. To me, that is disrespectful. (Plus the pool is so tiny, why would families want to bring their kids to that pool i wonder...)

Ryan
e79d21a4699a2d9f2ee7274fedde288b.jpg

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

There are generic pool rules right next to the sign that say kids 12 and under need to be accompanied by adult. But I would assume that this sign takes precedence.

Parents need to be respectful of adult only areas. I have 3 kids, and I would never take them to an adult only pool. To me, that is disrespectful. (Plus the pool is so tiny, why would families want to bring their kids to that pool i wonder...)

Ryan

EXCELLENT! Yes, I'm happy!

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pool is also noticeably cooler at WKORV vs Nanea. Nanea pool feels like you are getting into room temperature water. It is also noticeably less crowded.

We will definitely be coming here the remainder of our stay.

Ryan

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
10. I didnt need a bathtub in the shared bath. Would have preferred a shower since there is a huge tub in the master.

If anyone wants pictures, happy to post them later.

Yes, please post the pictures of you in the bath ;)

The one question we all need an answer to, is the beeping shuttle bus still there? (and by beeping I mean beeping it's not just another 'bad' word I've replaced)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Last time we were at North we took the owner's update to Nanea. Had to laugh when the shuttle backed up and the beeper started blasting. It's awful!

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, please post the pictures of you in the bath ;)

The one question we all need an answer to, is the beeping shuttle bus still there? (and by beeping I mean beeping it's not just another 'bad' word I've replaced)
I think you might pay to unsee those pictures...

Yes, the beeping shuttle is still beeping here. I guess you need it if you dont have a car, but it only comes every hour which seems awfully inconvenient. We drove to the outlet rather than wait for the shuttle.

Ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is becoming noticeably overcast as Flossie nears. Since I dont have a palapa overhead, it is actually quite nice. But you can sense that rain is coming soon.

Had to cancel a snorkeling trip for tomorrow as I dont think it will be a good idea to take an 8 year old in rougher seas. Oh well, first world problems.

Ryan
ef6a9e4106ad4c4b57164868e5d5cfc2.jpg

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last time we were at North we took the owner's update to Nanea. Had to laugh when the shuttle backed up and the beeper started blasting. It's awful!

Best way to get that changed would be for people to say they aren't buying because of the beeping. Sales will guarantee they'll get it fixed, but if enough people say they'll only buy if it gets dealt with it'll get dealt with.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Ryan

It reminds me of the woman who went on the Facebook rant about people going to Disney world without kids. Can i have a rant for children in hot tubs or adult only pools? Lol. No that I would let a kid go in a hot tub. Breeding ground for filth from what I hear. It’s why I stopped using them

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Best way to get that changed would be for people to say they aren't buying because of the beeping. Sales will guarantee they'll get it fixed, but if enough people say they'll only buy if it gets dealt with it'll get dealt with.
What's sad is that they don't just modify the parking lot area so the vans can turn around without having to back up.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's sad is that they don't just modify the parking lot area so the vans can turn around without having to back up.

That's probably how they would fix it. I'm just saying if it was impacting sales fixing it would be an actual priority.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
That's probably how they would fix it. I'm just saying if it was impacting sales fixing it would be an actual priority.
I’m hearing bad things about nanea? Bad views in many rooms, loud shuttle beeping constantly. Not making me want to book there. I’m guessing WKOVN is prob a better booking?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m hearing bad things about nanea? Bad views in many rooms, loud shuttle beeping constantly. Not making me want to book there. I’m guessing WKOVN is prob a better booking?
For me, the shuttle beeping is not a big deal. I am rarely near the lobby and I can't hear it from my room or anywhere else.

I think the smaller pool area is a disappointment for me with 3 small children. The pool was uncomfortably warm on Sunday which was a big deal. The lagoon area IMHO is a waste of space - a larger quiet pool would have been a better use of the area.

I was annoyed when they were washing windows above our unit and they had a stream of water coming down through the gutters above us. The dirty water soaked our chaise loungers as we are on the first floor and I saw other ground floor units where guests clothing that had been left out. No warning - I complained as I expect better from a Westin resort. They stopped and apologized - but I felt sorry for people who left their stuff out and probably didnt know. That's dirty water coming from the above units - gross.

But I'm on a partial exchange, so no complaints from me. There is good and bad as with every resort. I do prefer the WKORV properties a bit more because of the lockoff 2BR vs the Nanea 2BR.

Ryan

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I was annoyed when they were washing windows above our unit and they had a stream of water coming down through the gutters above us. The dirty water soaked our chaise loungers as we are on the first floor and I saw other ground floor units where guests clothing that had been left out. No warning - I complained as I expect better from a Westin resort. They stopped and apologized - but I felt sorry for people who left their stuff out and probably didnt know. That's dirty water coming from the above units - gross.

That happened to me on a cruise! Had the very top balcony in the back of the ship that wrapped around. It was a really nice suite! They hosed the top deck off every night off the back of the ship. The way the layout was, all of that gunky filth from the deck floor was all over the lounge furniture and the balcony, making the whole thing unusable. The cruise line did nothing about it. I bought a timeshare the following year and never went on a cruise again lol. (It was a coincidence but I was happy regardless).

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
It reminds me of the woman who went on the Facebook rant about people going to Disney world without kids. Can i have a rant for children in hot tubs or adult only pools? Lol. No that I would let a kid go in a hot tub. Breeding ground for filth from what I hear. It’s why I stopped using them
The worst is naked babies in adult only hot tubs. Happened twice at WKORV-N on 2 separate trips and once in Lagunamar. The 3rd time at Lagunamar I finally said something nicely and told her they had swim diapers at the towel desk if she needed one. She replied "He pooped his swimmy and is cold. I'm just rinsing him off. I left!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The worst is naked babies in adult only hot tubs. Happened twice at WKORV-N on 2 separate trips and once in Lagunamar. The 3rd time at Lagunamar I finally said something nicely and told her they had swim diapers at the towel desk if she needed one. She replied "He pooped his swimmy and is cold. I'm just rinsing him off. I left!
Wow! That’s insanity. That’s why I do not use hot tubs by pools. If I’m in a spa about to get a massage, I’ll use that hot tub, but that’s it.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

OMG, that's disgusting. What an idiot. I don't understand some people.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you might pay to unsee those pictures...

Yes, the beeping shuttle is still beeping here. I guess you need it if you dont have a car, but it only comes every hour which seems awfully inconvenient. We drove to the outlet rather than wait for the shuttle.

Ryan

I realize it's only every hour to Lahaina but I thought the inter resort shuttles run constantly about every 15 minutes? We were there just under 2 years ago and it was certainly noticeable on our balcony about half way down building 2 facing outwards. Must be almost intolerable if you are in a unit on that corner where they back up.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I sure like the shuttle service though. We were able to go all the way into Lahaina without having to drive. Would hate to see them curtail that service.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sure like the shuttle service though. We were able to go all the way into Lahaina without having to drive. Would hate to see them curtail that service.

Absolutely. As I've mentioned before we have done many visits there without a rental car so rely heavily on the shuttles and Maui Bus to get around.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
For me, the shuttle beeping is not a big deal. I am rarely near the lobby and I can't hear it from my room or anywhere else.

Sort of reminds of the sarcastic retort that goes something like...
World hunger must be resolved because I ate today.

In the Nanea villa we had last Sept (PL view) - we had the shuttle reverse beeping every 15 minutes for hours and hours all day/eve long - every day.
Listen to video - it does exist and is annoying for those impacted - pretty much every villa facing the front of Nanea.

These are the villas that are affected...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

During our last few stays at WPORV - the Main pool has been shut down at least once due to children defecating in the pool.

I will no longer go into hot tubs at WKORV because of parents bringing babies into the hot tub with swim diapers. Disgusting...
They even changed the one hot tub to adults only (back side of slide) - yet that doesn’t seem to stop the entitled parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk