• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many Marriott points earned from charging maintenance fees on Visa?

ArubaEileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many Marriott points will I earn by charging my yearly maintenance fees in January on my Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Visa? I am saving points for a large travel package and trying to figure out some future points earnings. Do I get 6X the maintenance fees? Or do I get 10x fees plus the platinum bonus?

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many Marriott points will I earn by charging my yearly maintenance fees in January on my Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Visa? I am saving points for a large travel package and trying to figure out some future points earnings. Do I get 6X the maintenance fees? Or do I get 10x fees plus the platinum bonus?
Just the 6x points for the card.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Is it worth getting a Marriott Visa card to pay maintenance fees? I have a pretty good cash back card, the Citi Costco card. I think it's 4% on travel but I don't know if they consider the maintenance fee travel.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting a Marriott Visa card to pay maintenance fees? I have a pretty good cash back card, the Citi Costco card. I think it's 4% on travel but I don't know if they consider the maintenance fee travel.
I would say it is most definitely worth it. In fact you'd be crazy not to get both the Visa and Amex for the sign up bonuses. I did it for my daughter and now she has 450k points stashed for a special trip all for very little spend.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would say it is most definitely worth it. In fact you'd be crazy not to get both the Visa and Amex for the sign up bonuses. I did it for my daughter and now she has 450k points stashed for a special trip all for very little spend.
So I looked at the card and I get 6x points on Marriott purchases so I assume this includes dues. So, if I had say 5k in dues that would be 30k in points which doesn't give me the 50k points per night (1 night) to stay at a nice place in Maui. Plus there's an annual fee. Am I missing something?

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the 6x points at Marriott, you get 2x points on all other spend, so I typically rack up 150k to 200k points every year. You also get a free night certificate (up to 35k points) every year when you pay your annual renewal which can easily be worth $200-$300 depending where you use it, so that more than makes up for the $95 annual fee. It’s one of my favorite cards. There are some other minor perks that you can check out on the Chase site. Obviously it is most valuable if you stay at some Marriott hotels occasionally in addition to your timeshare.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I looked at the card and I get 6x points on Marriott purchases so I assume this includes dues. So, if I had say 5k in dues that would be 30k in points which doesn't give me the 50k points per night (1 night) to stay at a nice place in Maui. Plus there's an annual fee. Am I missing something?
The annual fee is offset by the free Cat 1-4 night they give you on your anniversary each year. You also get a nice sign up bonus and the 2x per dollar spend on everything can add up.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After researching the Marriott Visa & Marriott AMEX a little bit further I found the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX card has a $450 annual fee but they give an annual $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy® hotels. Does anyone have this card and know if the $300 annual credit can be used towards Marriott maintenance dues? I could call AMEX but I thought someone might have first hand experience here.

It looks to be a little more upgraded on the 1 night free per year because it gives you 50,000 points instead of 35,000 which gets a better resort. I found conflicting info. as to if this can be used at Marriott Maui Ocean Club. I am looking for a way to get 3 nights added onto my 7 nights stay at MOC each visit.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
After researching the Marriott Visa & Marriott AMEX a little bit further I found the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX card has a $450 annual fee but they give an annual $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. Does anyone have this card and know if the $300 annual credit can be used towards Marriott maintenance dues? I could call AMEX but I thought someone might have first hand experience here.

It looks to be a little more upgraded on the 1 night free per year because it gives you 50,000 points instead of 35,000 which gets a better resort. I found conflicting info. as to if this can be used at Marriott Maui Ocean Club. I am looking for a way to get 3 nights added onto my 7 nights stay at MOC each visit.
Yes you can use the $300 toward paying your marriott MF.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After researching the Marriott Visa & Marriott AMEX a little bit further I found the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX card has a $450 annual fee but they give an annual $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy® hotels. Does anyone have this card and know if the $300 annual credit can be used towards Marriott maintenance dues? I could call AMEX but I thought someone might have first hand experience here.

For the AMEX card they just gutted the Priority Pass Lounge benefit if that matters to you.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another customer service "perk" (maybe other cards would do this too) is that I needed to add my son on card for international travel. Called early Saturday morning and had a physical card in hand by Tuesday noon! He was on his flight Wednesday afternoon.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes you can use the $300 toward paying your marriott MF.

Thanks, that definitely makes it worth it for me given that I only get 1% back on just my general purchases on the Citi Costco card. So, it makes sense to use my Citi Costco card on Costco purchases, gas, travel and use this for everything else. Thanks for the help, everyone.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thanks, that definitely makes it worth it for me given that I only get 1% back on just my general purchases on the Citi Costco card. So, it makes sense to use my Citi Costco card on Costco purchases, gas, travel and use this for everything else. Thanks for the help, everyone.
I use costco for costco, gas and travel purchases. Hilton card for Hilton stays and HGVC MF while Marriott card for Mariott stays and maintenance fees. I also use the Hilton Amex Ascend and business cards more to hit the $15k spend for the free weekend night certificates.

Have resisted getting a chase sapphire reserve since i had cards for our spends. Now with Amex Priority Pass dropping restaurants, I will be getting a CSR. Though we have to wait about 18 months to get under 5/24.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charge everything on the Marriott charge card and my American Airlines card. Combining MR points and FF miles in May we spent 9 nights at the Marriott Park Lane in London flying business over and coach back. No real cost. This was our eight trip to Europe all on MR points and Ff miles.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the AMEX card they just gutted the Priority Pass Lounge benefit if that matters to you.

Not sure "gutted" is a fair characterization. They removed the ability to use PP at participating non-lounge restaurants in certain airports. Obviously, if your home airport or one you traveled to / through regularly had 1 of these non-lounge restaurants, I can see where it would be a big impact to you.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Charge everything on the Marriott charge card and my American Airlines card. Combining MR points and FF miles in May we spent 9 nights at the Marriott Park Lane in London flying business over and coach back. No real cost. This was our eight trip to Europe all on MR points and Ff miles.

Which is why we do that, as well as go to every Marriott presentation possible. Combined, we are on free trips often. Was just in Zion National Park there at a Marriott, and in Fiji earlier this year, airfare and hotel included.

I know presentations are so awful for some folks. Not trying to change your mind. Just pointing out the benefits, esp combined with the credit cards.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Not sure "gutted" is a fair characterization. They removed the ability to use PP at participating non-lounge restaurants in certain airports. Obviously, if your home airport or one you traveled to / through regularly had 1 of these non-lounge restaurants, I can see where it would be a big impact to you.

And that was a Priority Pass move, not AMEX. Did the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX drop Priority Pass altogether? The AMEX Platinum card still has it.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And that was a Priority Pass move, not AMEX. Did the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX drop Priority Pass altogether? The AMEX Platinum card still has it.
No all Amex still has priority pass. Just that they cannot be used at restaurants anymore. You can enter lounges and the sleep suites. Because we have the Marriott Brillant and Hilton Aspire Amex with PP membership we now need to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve card to get access to the restaurants.

For my sons and I trip tomorrow we will be stopping in Denver and San Fran on the way back. No way to eat for "free" at the restaurants. Will have to make do with the United lounge. I actually like the restaurant perk of PP and use it quiet often for a decent meal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No all Amex still has priority pass. Just that they cannot be used at restaurants anymore. You can enter lounges and the sleep suites. Because we have the Marriott Brillant and Hilton Aspire Amex with PP membership we now need to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve card to get access to the restaurants.

For my sons and I trip tomorrow we will be stopping in Denver and San Fran on the way back. No way to eat for "free" at the restaurants. Will have to make do with the United lounge. I actually like the restaurant perk of PP and use it quiet often for a decent meal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
How do/did you eat free at the restaurants? I'm thinking about getting the AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant but I didn't see that perk?

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Which is why we do that, as well as go to every Marriott presentation possible. Combined, we are on free trips often. Was just in Zion National Park there at a Marriott, and in Fiji earlier this year, airfare and hotel included.

I know presentations are so awful for some folks. Not trying to change your mind. Just pointing out the benefits, esp combined with the credit cards.
Do the presentations give you a bonus on the credit card or are you just saying that you can get a discount hotel deal w/ airfare if you go to a special presentation?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the presentations give you a bonus on the credit card or are you just saying that you can get a discount hotel deal w/ airfare if you go to a special presentation?

Speaking of timeshare presentations while staying at Marriotts. Just did one at Summit Watch, for 60 minutes they gave us 35000 Bonvoy points, third one this year. Probably, they will offer us one in Crystal Shores later this year too. So, figure 125k points this year just in presentations. Now add in credit card charges, MF, etc., and it all adds up to a good bit of money. Many here on Tug hate those presentations.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Speaking of timeshare presentations while staying at Marriotts. Just did one at Summit Watch, for 60 minutes they gave us 35000 Bonvoy points, third one this year. Probably, they will offer us one in Crystal Shores later this year too. So, figure 125k points this year just in presentations. Now add in credit card charges, MF, etc., and it all adds up to a good bit of money. Many here on Tug hate those presentations.
Wow, that's pretty good, 35k points gives you a free night at some Marriott's. I wonder what they give you a Maui Ocean Club, probably not much.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty good, 35k points gives you a free night at some Marriott's. I wonder what they give you a Maui Ocean Club, probably not much.

No idea, but I never take 1 free night. I add them up until I get a week or so, and sometimes even convert to airline miles when it makes sense or in need of a flight (for example, to Fiji, Australia, etc.). Those flights get expensive. And $0 sounds a lot better.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No idea, but I never take 1 free night. I add them up until I get a week or so, and sometimes even convert to airline miles when it makes sense or in need of a flight (for example, to Fiji, Australia, etc.). Those flights get expensive. And $0 sounds a lot better.
0 sounds awesome!! Do the points expire on the credit card each year or do they carry over? I'd like to learn the tricks!