• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FedEx severs ties with Amazon, ending ground and air deliveries

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Saw the writing on the wall for this one. Still waiting for drone delivery direct from
Amazon though!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. But welcome. Whenever I have gotten notified that a shipment is coming via Fed-Ex, I can count on it being at least one day late. I can also see it from Fed-Ex's side as well, They view Amazon as a competitor. A-Z handles 47% of it's own shipments, compared to Fed-Ex's 2%

Jim

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A good friend works for USPS and he would be thrilled if they were relieved of Amazon deliveries.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
A good friend works for USPS and he would be thrilled if they were relieved of Amazon deliveries.

If I were your friend I would be wanting to keep whatever business they have. Otherwise I might be looking at an unemployment line. Looking at what I receive in the mail, delivery could decrease to three days a week and it would not negatively impact our family.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Amazon would make their own cardboard containers if they could. They "transformed" the book industry and nobody won but Amazon.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think Amazon would make their own cardboard containers if they could. They "transformed" the book industry and nobody won but Amazon.
Didn't the consumer also win?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Amazon built the proverbial better "mousetrap" and is not looking back.

Retail is a tough business and you're innovative, keep up or just fade away.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were your friend I would be wanting to keep whatever business they have. Otherwise I might be looking at an unemployment line. Looking at what I receive in the mail, delivery could decrease to three days a week and it would not negatively impact our family.

The United States Postal Service needs every single piece of mail it can get its hands on in order to survive in this huge electronic environment that we are now living in. Amazon is a key piece of the delivery business for the USPS.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The United States Postal Service needs every single piece of mail it can get its hands on in order to survive in this huge electronic environment that we are now living in. Amazon is a key piece of the delivery business for the USPS.

I think we could very well be okay if USPS went down to three day a week delivery for standard (first class) mail. They could continue to delivery packages for Amazon every day of the week. They do support their Sunday delivery.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously, none of you have lived in a place where the daily mail boat is an absolute lifeline for the community, just sayin'.

Amazon just recently did declare themselves a logistics company. We've seen this kind of vertical integration before (think A&P stores in the early 1900s, Dole, etc.) and they become monopolistic until something better comes around. (No one shops at an A&P anymore, right?)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without USPS deliveries what does this federal agency have that turn a profit for them ?
Without Amazon deliveries, the USPS is going under into bankruptcy IMHO.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It was bound to happen, Amazon can get cheaper independent contractors to deliver, no benefits, no retirement plans. AmazUber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Obviously, none of you have lived in a place where the daily mail boat is an absolute lifeline for the community, just sayin'.
I am not sure daily mail delivery is a lifeline. Sure some get prescriptions through the mail, but not many people get them delivered the day they run out of their current supply. People would adjust to the new schedule.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I would be happy with -0- mail delivery.
I handle nearly all financial transactions + correspondence online.

DW, OTOH, wants paper bills + greeting cards.
Online billing & payment is too "experimental."
But she does use email.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

My comment was based on friend who has scheduled day off cancelled and mandatory Sunday work days just to handle Amazon deliveries.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure daily mail delivery is a lifeline.
When the mail boat--*not* necessarily the mail in it-- is the one way that your children are getting to school, or transporting people as well as mail, it definitively *is* a lifeline to numerous island communities across the country.

The Post Office in Isleford, ME has the largest mail-order stamp operation for any PO in the country, because that is one way they can ensure that the island continues to support their PO--*and* the daily mail boat.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I use Amazon, but the bloom is off the rose. Amazon is getting to big in my book and we will all pay for it in the future when there are no stores to visit and they jack up their prices.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the mail boat--*not* necessarily the mail in it-- is the one way that your children are getting to school, or transporting people as well as mail, it definitively *is* a lifeline to numerous island communities across the country.

The Post Office in Isleford, ME has the largest mail-order stamp operation for any PO in the country, because that is one way they can ensure that the island continues to support their PO--*and* the daily mail boat.

Have a friend up there and it's quite the quaint little spot. ;)

I wouldn't think reducing the mail to three days would hurt the "mail" boat all that much. Given all that it does to support the islands, U.S. Mail is just a small part of it's overall function.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't the consumer also win?

Funny thing you mentioned that. I bought a 43" TV at Target today. Price was $265 with my Red Card discount. Same TV at Walmart was $277. Amazon's price was $299. When the "consumer wins" in the short run - they may not win in the long run. Amazon changes their prices 1000s of times a day. Why?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. But welcome. Whenever I have gotten notified that a shipment is coming via Fed-Ex, I can count on it being at least one day late. I can also see it from Fed-Ex's side as well, They view Amazon as a competitor. A-Z handles 47% of it's own shipments, compared to Fed-Ex's 2%

Jim

I have the opposite problem. In 6 years living here, UPS has about a 40% success rate at on time delivery, USPS about 98%, and, Fedex 100%. UPS technology and rules are absurd, at least here. They can't find my house, been here 6 years, and drivers are not allowed to use a phone to locate an address. They use paper notes.and if a driver fills in, well, no notes.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny thing you mentioned that. I bought a 43" TV at Target today. Price was $265 with my Red Card discount. Same TV at Walmart was $277. Amazon's price was $299. When the "consumer wins" in the short run - they may not win in the long run. Amazon changes their prices 1000s of times a day. Why?

Well, some of the reason is 3rd party sellers. One wants their listing to get the buy box. So, one uses the Amazon price optimizer to automatically change prices based on some set of rules you set. If your competition does the same, it causes lots and lots of small price changes all in the name of competition. There are 3rd party tools as well

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I would contend that you can thank Amazon for being able to get a cheaper price at Target. To compete, Target and Walmart would have to offer a lower price than Amazon. If Amazon didn't exist the going price for that TV would be higher, so in the short term the consumer is winning by Amazon being present; even if they don't buy from Amazon as Amazon forces other vendors to offer a lower price. Of course as some have said, this might not be to the consumer's advantage in the long run.

Brett

Reaction score
I would contend that you can thank Amazon for being able to get a cheaper price at Target. To compete, Target and Walmart would have to offer a lower price than Amazon. If Amazon didn't exist the going price for that TV would be higher, so in the short term the consumer is winning by Amazon being present; even if they don't buy from Amazon as Amazon forces other vendors to offer a lower price. Of course as some have said, this might not be to the consumer's advantage in the long run.

true, but (for the long run) only if Amazon turns into a monopoly and Prime trucks are the only vehicles left on the road delivering packages

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without USPS deliveries what does this federal agency have that turn a profit for them ?
Without Amazon deliveries, the USPS is going under into bankruptcy IMHO.

Postal Service losing billions and delivering fewer packages as it burns cash
https://www.foxbusiness.com/financials/postal-service-burning-cash-delivering-fewer-packages

"The Postal Service ended fiscal 2018 with a net loss of $3.9 billion."

"Losses at the Postal Service between 2007 through 2018 are about $69 billion. The last time the agency recorded a profit was more than a decade ago. It has also defaulted on more than $40 billion in payments owed to pre-fund retiree health care expenses."

“Absent legislative reform, in all probability we’ll be out of cash in 2024 and that will threaten our ability to meet our obligation to the American public,”

"And if the agency makes all of its mandatory payments – including those retiree benefits – Brennan said the agency would be out of cash in 2020."