• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Ocean - July 2019

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I don't own at GO, but if one of resorts I do own wanted to make changes like that to enhance the view from some of the units, I wouldn't have a problem paying my share of that in the fees. I could benefit from it if one day I was assigned one of the units with the improved view. I wouldn't support eliminating trees since their tree preservation policies are one of the things that make HHI so great, but if a tree that had grown into sight lines could be effectively moved without killing the tree, I would support that.
It depends on the resort, personally. I wouldn't sign off on it at Grande Ocean. Maui Ocean Club, though? Not a problem at all.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't own at GO, but if one of resorts I do own wanted to make changes like that to enhance the view from some of the units, I wouldn't have a problem paying my share of that in the fees. I could benefit from it if one day I was assigned one of the units with the improved view. I wouldn't support eliminating trees since their tree preservation policies are one of the things that make HHI so great, but if a tree that had grown into sight lines could be effectively moved without killing the tree, I would support that.
It would depend on the specifics of how reasonable the cost and appropriate the choice.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Off topic. But Ocean Pointe trimmed a lot of palm trees and vegetation in the past couple years to improve the views from their Oceanfront villas, especially the lower floor OF villas. While it did improve the view, I do miss the vast vegetation. It is a lot less than it used to be. Not sure what it cost me and other owners.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
OK Steven, so how was your trip? I’m sure our humidity here in the Carolinas was a bit of an adjustment for someone from the west, but I would love to hear about what you thought of a Carolina summer week in HHI!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off topic. But Ocean Pointe trimmed a lot of palm trees and vegetation in the past couple years to improve the views from their Oceanfront villas, especially the lower floor OF villas. While it did improve the view, I do miss the vast vegetation. It is a lot less than it used to be. Not sure what it cost me and other owners.

Yes, I have noticed the same at Ocean Pointe. But, this makes a HUGE difference if you are assigned a villa just over the parking garage.

Like yourself, I miss the vegetation. But I rather have a great view as a result of it....... This keeps the property values high and folks love to return year after year.

Palm Beach Shores will have a whole new look in 2020 as all the telephone, electric, and communication poles come down as a result of the new ongoing underground utility project.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK Steven, so how was your trip? I’m sure our humidity here in the Carolinas was a bit of an adjustment for someone from the west, but I would love to hear about what you thought of a Carolina summer week in HHI!

The weather was as I expected. Having lived in Louisiana for a while in my youth, it was very similar. It's like taking a hot shower but never drying off. And this is where the ocean and pool came in handy.

One thing that caught me off guard was how warm the ocean water was. It seemed like it was 90 degrees or there about. The waves were mild and were great for my kids though my two youngest didn't really get into the waves. They did have fun at the beach.

We went out to eat more than we normally do and utilized Marty's Restaurant Thread quite a bit to decide where to go. We went the Crazy Crab, FishCamp, Kenny B's, Stus Surfside Subs, Salty Dog Cafe and Ice Cream, and Marleys Island Grill. And then there were meals where we had Cup O Noodles, Mac and Cheese, and Corn Dogs because the kids wanted something different.

Overall we had a good time. Wife wants to try coming again but in October. We did all of the touristy stuff this trip so next one would be more relaxed with more time spent at the pool and ocean. We visited the Coastal Discovery Museum, The Ruins, The Sea Pines Preserve, the Pirate Ship for the Kids, a Dolphin Tour, the Light House, and played at the park in Harbour Town.

Probably the worst thing about the trip is how slow the elevators are at Grande Ocean. It's like standing in a small oven and it takes forever to go up. And the people that would use the elevator to get to the 1st floor, ugh. You're faster taking the stairs.

Talking with my children, they still prefer Maui.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
October is wonderful. It will be in the 70s/80s, but will cool off at night. Perfect weather for pools and biking.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The weather was as I expected. Having lived in Louisiana for a while in my youth, it was very similar. It's like taking a hot shower but never drying off. And this is where the ocean and pool came in handy.

One thing that caught me off guard was how warm the ocean water was. It seemed like it was 90 degrees or there about.

That warm water is why we get hurricanes and tropical storms. Those systems just love that warm water.

Talking with my children, they still prefer Maui.

We love Hilton Head because of the overall vibe and the great restaurants, and also because it's only about a four-hour drive for us. But having said that, we do agree with your children...Maui No Ka Oi

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Let’s be honest, there’s nothing interesting about looking at the Atlantic Ocean.

True. I just enjoy having a view of water (be it a pond, lake, river, or ocean). I also enjoy the occasional dolphin sighting.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Despite the oppressive heat and humidity, I think you'll enjoy your stay...the view is a good one....you'd be surprised at how FEW villas
actually have such a nice view......i.e., ocean and Dolphin pool area.

And yes, I know that palm tree well! It needs to disappear in the black of the night, LOL.
As much as my love for Hilton Head and Grande Ocean is well known, I HOPE you have a blast.
Regardless, don't write it off your list for a cooler season---it's a different place, especially when you can enjoy walking and biking.

Very true. Spent a Christmas vacation at Barony a few years ago with 20+ family spread across 3 units. Had a great time and was comfortably cool during the day.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While in Sea Pines enjoy the view but don't get too close.;)

6312449353_21cb543b87_b.jpg

That's awesome. We have gotten to see a few sunning here and there in Sea Pines during past visits, but we never actually saw one out for a stroll. Not something you will soon forget.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
That's awesome. We have gotten to see a few sunning here and there in Sea Pines during past visits, but we never actually saw one out for a stroll. Not something you will soon forget.

Very dangerous to be that close. That gator is quite fast and could outrun all of those standing around,
especially the slowest one!!!
Last year a lady was dragged into a lagoon in Sea Pines and killed .....probably eaten. She was trying to protect her dog.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very dangerous to be that close. That gator is quite fast and could outrun all of those standing around,
Last year a lady was dragged into a lagoon in Sea Pines and killed .....probably eaten. She was trying to protect her dog.

I remember that incident. No doubt, not a photo I or my family would ever be in but a cool (albeit dangerous) photo.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not that this matters but the Alligators dont view humans as prey, but as threats especially when around prey they're hunting. So most the time they drag the threat to the bottom of the pond to end life and then leave them there.. This is what I believe happened in the referenced HHI case.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The alligator on HH went for the lady's dog and she got in the middle of it with the dog on the leash and got pulled under. I believe that the gator at Disney saw the little boy as prey. Bottom line is that you shouldn't mess with animals who are dangerous and unpredictable. It simply isn't worth the risk.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The alligator on HH went for the lady's dog and she got in the middle of it with the dog on the leash and got pulled under. I believe that the gator at Disney saw the little boy as prey. Bottom line is that you shouldn't mess with animals who are dangerous and unpredictable. It simply isn't worth the risk.

Absolutely......two lives lost unnecessarily, and several lives changed forever.