• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Having trouble setting up OGS (Ongoing Search) in RCI Points

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to set up an ongoing search in RCI.

If I put in a specific resort that has no availability, an option for an ongoing search shows up briefly, but won't let me click on it. Instead, the website defaults to showing me all availability worldwide.

This is very frustrating! Anyone figure out how to set up an ongoing search in RCI Points?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I was told by an RCI rep in an on-line chat last winter that we can not do ongoing searches with our RCI Points. I asked why not and really didn't get a straight answer. Perhaps another rep would have an answer or say it is possible.

I like to book 8-10 night stays with our points since the cost is the same and there are very few resorts in Florida where I can do that and only a small availability window (months in advance) to book them. I went on the online chat to ask for help in setting up an ongoing search for those resorts with the hopes of snagging something but was told to just keep watching online myself! :(
If you are successful in setting one up, please let us know.

~Diane

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts

If I put in a specific resort that has no availability, an option for an ongoing search shows up briefly, but won't let me click on it. Instead, the website defaults to showing me all availability worldwide.

This is very frustrating! Anyone figure out how to set up an ongoing search in RCI Points?
Try searching for the city, rather than a specific resort. Then at the bottom of the search results you should see the button "ADD ONGOING SEARCH REQUEST"... click that, then when the "Create Ongoing Search" page shows, delete the region part and enter the specific resort number(s) there.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was told by an RCI rep in an on-line chat last winter that we can not do ongoing searches with our RCI Points. I asked why not and really didn't get a straight answer. Perhaps another rep would have an answer or say it is possible.

I like to book 8-10 night stays with our points since the cost is the same and there are very few resorts in Florida where I can do that and only a small availability window (months in advance) to book them. I went on the online chat to ask for help in setting up an ongoing search for those resorts with the hopes of snagging something but was told to just keep watching online myself! :(
If you are successful in setting one up, please let us know.

~Diane

You can only do an ongoing search over "weeks" inventory. If you're looking for less than or more than 7 nights, it won't work because that's RCI points inventory.

You might be able to book the week and then call and ask about nightly inventory that you can add to your week. I've done that before in Aruba... paying cash for those extra nights.

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can only do an ongoing search over "weeks" inventory. If you're looking for less than or more than 7 nights, it won't work because that's RCI points inventory.

You might be able to book the week and then call and ask about nightly inventory that you can add to your week. I've done that before in Aruba... paying cash for those extra nights.
So if you are a Points owner, if you search for a 7 day stay, does that count as an on-going search?

I'm in the process of purchasing a TS that has RCI Points, so I don't have a login yet, but am very interested in the answer for this one.

Thanks!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The only trouble with that is I would have to pay 2 exchange costs, or as you do cash for the extra nights. We got a points package exclusively for exchanging with the hopes of booking longer stays and usually don't have a problem except for not being able to use the ongoing search feature. When I couldn't find a 10 night stay for our FL vacation this fall an RCI rep told me that the resort I wanted had two 5 night or a 7 night and a 3 night stay for the exact dates I wanted and that I should book them. I said sure, if you will only charge me 1 exchange fee. Haha -no! I don't understand why there was multiple short stays but not one 10 night stay available for the same dates at the same resort.

I find RCI so frustrating at times! :wall:

~Diane

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So if you are a Points owner, if you search for a 7 day stay, does that count as an on-going search?

I'm in the process of purchasing a TS that has RCI Points, so I don't have a login yet, but am very interested in the answer for this one.

Thanks!
If you are searching yourself then that is not an ongoing search. An ongoing search is when your desired dates and areas are input into the RCI computer system and it will look for a match without you doing anything. They let you know when a match is made and you can accept it or wait and hope for something better matching your request.

~Diane

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For auto owner deposits you need to check rci at exactly 10 months from check in for the best chance at longer stays. 11 months if it is within your resort family. Home week and home resort reservations can only be for 7 days.

MIDisfan

TUG Member
Reaction score

There seems to be a bug with ongoing searches at the moment. The ongoing search feature is not showing up as normal on the RCI points side. The work around I found was to go into the help section and type in "ongoing search" and that will take you the feature. For those saying you can't set up an OGS on the points side, that is not true. However an OGS on the Points side should only pull from weeks inventory.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There seems to be a bug with ongoing searches at the moment. The ongoing search feature is not showing up as normal on the RCI points side.

It must be a sporadic problem because ongoing search works fine from my RCI Points account.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

For those saying you can't set up an OGS on the points side, that is not true. However an OGS on the Points side should only pull from weeks inventory.

Yes and that is my problem. We like to stay more than 7 nights (usually 9 or 10) and I can not do an ongoing search for resorts that will accept a longer stay. There isn't even any type of indication when I am searching that I can book 8, 9 or 10 (or more) days. The search filters have a choice for 7 nights, or 7+ nights, which still gives me resorts with just 7 nights stays. I have suggested to RCI that the search choices should be; less than 7 nights, 7 nights, or 8 or more nights. I must type in my desired check-in date and then see if the system will let me choose a checkout date or if it automatically defaults to the 7 night stay date.

~Diane

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes and that is my problem. We like to stay more than 7 nights (usually 9 or 10) and I can not do an ongoing search for resorts that will accept a longer stay. There isn't even any type of indication when I am searching that I can book 8, 9 or 10 (or more) days. The search filters have a choice for 7 nights, or 7+ nights, which still gives me resorts with just 7 nights stays. I have suggested to RCI that the search choices should be; less than 7 nights, 7 nights, or 8 or more nights. I must type in my desired check-in date and then see if the system will let me choose a checkout date or if it automatically defaults to the 7 night stay date.

~Diane
That's how it's supposed to work. RCI does not allow ongoing searches for RCI Points inventory (more or less than 7 nights). You can only book those reservations when you see the availability online...and only from RCI Points inventory. The best way to tell whether it's Weeks inventory or Points inventory... if it lets you book less than 7 days, it's RCI Points inventory... if you can only book 7 nights (no more, no less), the week was deposited to RCI Weeks.

The confusion comes in because, even though a resort offers RCI Points, not all units/weeks at the resort are enrolled in RCI Points. A non-RCI Points owner can deposit a full week...and that week can only be booked for 7 nights.

So... you may see in the calendar that there are 2 weeks available, but if one or both were deposited as a full week, those weeks cannot be broken into nightly reservations on the RCI Points side.

The best way to get what you want is to log on at midnight exactly 10 months before the check-in date you want. At that time you can book up to 14 nights on one reservation.

I hope this helps... it can certainly be confusing. But what you're seeing is how it is actually supposed to work. It isn't a bug on their website, although they have many!