• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 ] Where are the places you go back to again and again?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Quarter House in New Orleans because it's in New Orleans.

Wyndham Governor's Green, Old Town Alexandria, and National Harbor because they are close to home.

deslagle

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We go back to 5 places but we own every other year. So not every year but every other year. Yearly I may have tired of the long trips by now.
Morritts Londoner (Grand Cayman Island), Windjammer Landing (St Lucia), Kahana Falls (Maui), Lawaii Beach Resort (Kauai) and Tres Rios (Playa Del Carmen La Herencia).
My spouse does not care as much for Mexico but Tres Rios is a nature preserve 326 acres with guards at the front gate. The preserve has many cenotes and one you can kayak down or float on a
tube to the ocean. The pools and All inclusive are great. The resort will give you a free ride to Playa Del Carmen beach at Sunset Fisherman but you taxi back.

stevenh21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Flagstaff, Wyndham Fairfield Plantation, Harbortown Point(Ventura, CA)
Carlsbad, CA with RCI trades.
Ventura, CA started as trades, then bought at Harbortown Point.
Hawaii with trades.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Smugglers' Notch, Cold Spring Resort (where we own), and the North Conway area of NH. My kids ask to go to Smuggs every year, some years twice!

We own at Cold Spring, and then usually trade into Smuggs, though I've also done Extra Vacation weeks there through RCI. North Conway is usually an EV, too. I own 4 weeks at Cold Spring, but usually only trade one a year.

I agree with the previous poster who talked about how their stays feel like home. My kids are creatures of habit. I've been trying to talk up a trip to Williamsburg for 2021. They are NOT INTERESTED in the least. Not even if I can get a big unit. Not even if we go to Busch Gardens. :) They want to know that they are going to Smuggs to do all the things they love in Vermont. They want to go to Cold Spring and take the van for a trip. They want to know how the weekly routine will go.

Guess I'll go to Williamsburg when they all leave home.... Sigh.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
Hilton Head Island....

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
  1. HGVC Ocean Oaks, Hilton Head Island, SC (own there). We go both early June and October.
  2. HGVC Valdoro Mtn Lodge, Breckenridge, CO (own there). 1 or 2 weeks during ski season and also 1 week during the summer.
  3. HGVC Sunrise Lodge, Park City, UT (own there). 1 week during ski season.
  4. Cabo Mx. We were booking through HGVC at Fiesta Americana-Los Cabos (4 out of the past 5 years) but will no longer be booking due to changes in that agreement. Next year we are planning to rent. We go 1 week during whale season (Feb or March).

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Marriott Phuket Beach Club. 19 trips between March 2007 and August 2019 having just checked out and reaching 200 nights stayed at the resort.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Love this thread. We return to Maui and the Big Island every year. We just purchased the Bay Club based on TUG posts. Resale, thank you TUG. We visit Orlando EOY for Disney because my son is still a little boy in teenage clothes. We visit Seattle for family but use Air BNB. NYC through Hilton not HGVC or Hilton Club. Tahoe because we like to ski. And, of course, Costco, too.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every year, multiple times: Palm Desert and Scottsdale, both within driving distance. Mostly Vistana TS since we're owners, but we like to try other TS places as well.

Less frequent but return visits: Hawaii, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Minnesota.

Every week: San Diego. Recently retired, I love being able to be a 'tourist' out and about where I live!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We just suck it up unfortunately, but we always go for 2 weeks. 11 hours transit with layovers is the norm, 16 hours the max, I draw the line at 24.

When searching airfare price and time are the most important.

I love the water, spouse needs warm clear water where he can see his toes.

Hawaii is a quick 5 hours, we have been once in 10 years. Enjoyed the road to Hana immensely but had to get in every waterfall alone since hubby doesn’t do cold water. The Caribbean makes us both happy. So far the only Caribbean island we won’t return to is St. Kitts spouse hated it. I have learned a car is a must for us so Mexico is also off the itinerary.

Once we retire (Nov 2020) we will expand our horizons and see Certain places in Europe but for longer trips.

Headed to French Polynesia in less than a week. San Jose to Lax to Tahiti to Raiatea to Tahiti to Moorea to Tahiti to LAX to SFO I haven’t even counted the hours on that one. On the return we have a 12 hour layover in LAX (booked a Marriott hotel), a once in a lifetime trip I am sure, but I am sooooo excited. I am going to swim with whales I hope I hope I hope!
Your FP trip sounds similar to the one we will take at the end of Sep. We will be taking the Tradewinds Cruise for a week and also booked Dr Poole’s tour to swim with whales in Moorea. Please let me know how your trip goes.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me ask a question of those who have already answered here - one constant in our vacation experiences has been that the 2nd trip to a location has never matched the allure of the first - not that the 2nd trip has necessarily been bad, just not up to the level of the 1st trip. That certainly may be a function of those few places we have visited twice, but what is it about returning to an area that y'all find so compelling?

Is it a favorite attraction? I could see the mouse ears crowd loving every visit to Orlando because of this factor but would you revisit Orlando simply because it has so much stuff and you can't possibly see it all in one trip?

From my perspective, I could say any visit to Colorado would fall into this category because the outdoors we have experienced there embodies what we want most in a vacation.

In my case, I'm not taking a vacation. I'm going to where the weather is guaranteed to be warm, the stress is low, and I can usually get good, ripe, pineapple. The lure for that, to me in the winter, is the whole reason for travelling. (Travel - from the word travail. . . )

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned St John, USVI so far because there are quite a few owners on TUG who go there every year. Just returned last night and it’s our little heaven on earth. We just sold the week recently but will continue to rent from owners and return.

Blaaamo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cabo, Hawaii, British Columbia, New Zealand, and Australia.

Edit Ooops forgot Seaside Oregonmat least once per year
Can you tell me what you love about Cabo? We stayed on the beach and while it was nice I was turned off by all of the people with their hands out or constantly trying to sell me crap.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
one constant in our vacation experiences has been that the 2nd trip to a location has never matched the allure of the first - what is it about returning to an area that y'all find so compelling?
Our HHI trips have always been great--love riding bikes, eating great seafood and we almost always had extended family with us. For Orlando, it was fun times at theme parks and grandparents visiting, then that evolved to staying at DVC--and we have loved every trip--we don't go into the parks everyday and enjoy the amenities of the resort, such as pool movies, etc. We also love the bus system--that makes us feel like we are on vacation-no driving. To us, other O resorts, which are very nice, are just a place to sleep.
But, our fav place for a 2nd trip was Marriott Ile de France. We were busy the 1st trip, so the 2nd trip we did al the things that we missed the 1st time. Plus we knew the area better and got the confidence to rent a car and explore more and still have things we want to do "next time."

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Aruba - owned since 1993 and currently own 8 weeks and rent out 6-7 per year. We have been going to Aruba for the past 15 years for at least one week in January or February.
2) Vegas
3) NOLA
4) Mexico

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Can you tell me what you love about Cabo? We stayed on the beach and while it was nice I was turned off by all of the people with their hands out or constantly trying to sell me crap.

We like the weather. We like the people. We usually go in the January to April time period. We always rent a car. We swim and snorkel even in January and February. We always stay in San Jose del Cabo. We rarely go to Cabo San Lucas. We tend to avoid the Street Sellers. As for the stores (tourist and lower quality jewelry stores) it is a game. If you do not want to go in and bargain just politely decline. There are also some very high quality Art and Jewelry Stores. They will bargain just do not be mean spirited about it. We eat at many Hole-in-the-Wall places. We have been going for 15 years. We gotten to know some of the locals.

There are some things tourists do not realize for example the person that bags your groceries at the major grocery stores works only for tips. They are not paid by the store.

A person's attitude and spirit of adventure will greatly effect the +/- of the experience. Remember you are in their Country.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Let me ask a question of those who have already answered here - one constant in our vacation experiences has been that the 2nd trip to a location has never matched the allure of the first - not that the 2nd trip has necessarily been bad, just not up to the level of the 1st trip. That certainly may be a function of those few places we have visited twice, but what is it about returning to an area that y'all find so compelling?

For us, the annual spring break trip to St. Maarten was the perfect way for us Minnesotans to get a much needed dose of warmth, sunshine and relaxation in a place with things we love: great beaches, amazing blue water, gourmet dining and friendly people. It never disappoints, and we loved that we didn't have to waste time finding our way around or worrying about crummy weather when we only had a week because of school schedules. There was always something new to try, but also favorite things to experience again, and the quirky things like the chickens and goats along side the road reminded us we had left the US. We also liked having locals recognize us and welcome us back. I know there are other Caribbean island that offer these features, but St. Maarten was our favorite and owning at a nice resort allowed us to easily return without having to try to trade in.

We have been able to take other more adventuresome vacations each year as well and for these we explore new locations and rarely return to the same place. We often move around to different places in Europe or Asia and rent apartments or use hotels so we aren't limited by timeshare locations. I think that's why we haven't felt bored with returning to the Caribbean each winter.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned St John, USVI so far because there are quite a few owners on TUG who go there every year. Just returned last night and it’s our little heaven on earth. We just sold the week recently but will continue to rent from owners and return.

Scottsdale to visit friends; Door County for a summer weekend; Key West to party and chill;
St John Virgin Islands to recharge (2 weeks usually); Vegas for the shows, restaurants and shopping; Cruising to do a “sampler platter” of new destinations to see if any are worthy of a longer visit.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Cozumel
New York City
New Orleans

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OP here - I asked the question to see if your repeat locations have a lot to do with where you live. For the most part (there are always some exceptions) the answer is Yes. Those along the east and west generally repeat to locations along the same coasts (or Hawaii vs Caribbean).

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We started timesharing in 1981 we had a one bedroom week 27 in Vermont. Our kids were small and we went there every year for 5 years, then we started trading for other places. Poconos, Daytona Beach.
In 1987 we moved to central Florida from Massachusetts and we exchanged thru RCI for Cape Cod and New Hampshire In summer to visit family back home.
We bought a Dikhololo week and traded for many places. We purchased a couple weeks at Orange Lake and A week at Summer Bay, then a week at Siesta Key, Punta Gourda, Baysie VA. And the one we love Fitzpatrick’s Castle in Ireland.
We have paired down to 4 timeshares. Orange Lake, Baysie VA, Dublin Ireland and just acquired Oyster Bay In Sebastian,FL.
We will be using these timeshare all in 2021.
We have exchanged mostly thru RCI we go to South Florida a lot Weston, Ft Lauderdale, Hollywood, FL
Because our son lives there.
We have made trades with TUG members and have gone to Maui, Lake Travis, TX, Fort Myers Beach,FL
We are going to Arizona for two weeks in April 2020. All on TUG trades.
The places we would like to return are Dublin, Maui, The Berkshires, Myrtle Beach, Weston FL, Las Vegas, New Orleans, LA
We want to try new places too, now that we are both retired we plan to travel a lot more.
Some timeshare vacations and some independent ones too.
Silentg

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is it a favorite attraction? I could see the mouse ears crowd loving every visit to Orlando because of this factor but would you revisit Orlando simply because it has so much stuff and you can't possibly see it all in one trip?

From my perspective, I could say any visit to Colorado would fall into this category because the outdoors we have experienced there embodies what we want most in a vacation.

Interesting that your 2nd trip never lives up to the first. I am the exact opposite. I ALWAYS enjoy the 2nd or subsequent trips so much more. Crazy, but it’s just the way I seem to be wired.

Reaction score
Poconos (Delaware Valley National Recreation Area), Jersey Shore (Avalon area), Rehobeth DE (Cape Henlopen State Park), Orlando, Gulf Shores, AL and Fairhope, AL, San Antonio (River walk), Deming NM, Mesa and Apache Junction (AZ), New York City, Las Vegas. (I'm excluding my home state of MN which is #1). Doing a big circle to include all of these locations on a 4 month RV trip using my "timeshare" style camping membership, Thousand Trails. Will probably not stay in a single hotel or traditional TS on this trip. But I think this tour could be very good staying in TS and hotels! Would probably cost about the same, just a different way to go!

Blaaamo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like the weather. We like the people. We usually go in the January to April time period. We always rent a car. We swim and snorkel even in January and February. We always stay in San Jose del Cabo. We rarely go to Cabo San Lucas. We tend to avoid the Street Sellers. As for the stores (tourist and lower quality jewelry stores) it is a game. If you do not want to go in and bargain just politely decline. There are also some very high quality Art and Jewelry Stores. They will bargain just do not be mean spirited about it. We eat at many Hole-in-the-Wall places. We have been going for 15 years. We gotten to know some of the locals.

There are some things tourists do not realize for example the person that bags your groceries at the major grocery stores works only for tips. They are not paid by the store.

A person's attitude and spirit of adventure will greatly effect the +/- of the experience. Remember you are in their Country.

Makes sense. I never made it that far, it was all the people on the beach and on the streets selling stuff that was annoying.