• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puck Trick Question

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at availability to "replace" an OCT 18 2 night reservation in a 2 BDRM in Vegas. Just came within 60 day window.

When I look, website says no availability to check in for 2 nights on the 18th.

When I change to 3 nights, the 17th is available for check-in.

With the discount and adding only a THU night, it is actually 280 fewer points to do 3 nights.

Q: if the room is there for the 3 night stay, why isn't it there for the 2 night stay? Is it worth a call to see if they can help me just "replace" the stay?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Yes, I would call in and ask them to book the 2 night stay -- not sure why it wouldn't show the availability to you. I've seen isolated instances where they go outside the normal booking requirements and require a longer stay, but wouldn't think October in Vegas is one of them. Let us know what they tell you, and I do think you should be able to make the 2 night reservation.

Best,

Greg

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Well thank you @jpa2825 !
I was sooooo looking forward to a hockey thread! :D:D:D:D:D:D

So why is whatever you are referring to called a puck trick anyway?

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Looking at availability to "replace" an OCT 18 2 night reservation in a 2 BDRM in Vegas. Just came within 60 day window.

When I look, website says no availability to check in for 2 nights on the 18th.

When I change to 3 nights, the 17th is available for check-in.

With the discount and adding only a THU night, it is actually 280 fewer points to do 3 nights.

Q: if the room is there for the 3 night stay, why isn't it there for the 2 night stay? Is it worth a call to see if they can help me just "replace" the stay?
I have had the same experience looking at shadow ridge for a weekend in November. Can’t book for two nights but can book for three nights. I m not sure of our plans yet so I haven’t called but I think there must be a glitch in the system.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, called MVC today and spoke with Vanessa. Told her I was looking to add a day and make it a 3 night stay. Told her since we were in the 60 day window, I'd prefer to just rebook all 3 days at the 30% off rate. She said no problem. She checked availability and saw it there. She cancelled and then rebooked with the extra day. Even adding the extra day, points went down from 1800 to 1520 because of the 30% discount. She explained the difference (280 points) would go into a holding account and later in the conversation gave me the expiration date for the holding account points (280). She also explained that I could use 325 points to secure $110 in resort credit if I wanted to do that and explained that could be done before arrival or with Concierge once I was there.

All in all, a painless exercise to good benefit. If I did the transaction solely online, I would have had to choose between:
  • Booking the 1520 1st (use from a different bucket) and then cancel the other reservation. This presumably would have forced all 1800 into holding account.
  • Cancel the 1800 1st and then book the 1520. Without being able to see inventory, hard to tell what risk this would be that the 3 nights wouldn't be there immediately after cancelling, but presumably low. 280 still would have gone into holding account.
  • Beauty of doing it by phone is that the risk (even if low) in #2 above is removed.

NOTE: I didn't ask her about just rebooking the original 2 night stay. If we end up not needing the THU night, we'll cancel that and those points will go into Holding Account, right? If yes, that would be the same result as rebooking the 2 night stay and this gives us option to fly in a day early.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Yes, I would call in and ask them to book the 2 night stay -- not sure why it wouldn't show the availability to you. I've seen isolated instances where they go outside the normal booking requirements and require a longer stay, but wouldn't think October in Vegas is one of them. Let us know what they tell you, and I do think you should be able to make the 2 night reservation.

Best,

Greg

Agreed. I have also seen instances where some MVC properties have created 'minimum' stay requirements without calling it such. While I understand the business argument for minimizing 'broken' weeks/intervals in the system, establishing functional minimum-stay requirements (through manipulating inventory availability) is contrary in principle to the "you can use your points to book a single night" representation of DC points ownership. Fortunately, I have not seen it widespread (yet).

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
So, called MVC today and spoke with Vanessa. Told her I was looking to add a day and make it a 3 night stay. Told her since we were in the 60 day window, I'd prefer to just rebook all 3 days at the 30% off rate. She said no problem. She checked availability and saw it there. She cancelled and then rebooked with the extra day. Even adding the extra day, points went down from 1800 to 1520 because of the 30% discount. She explained the difference (280 points) would go into a holding account and later in the conversation gave me the expiration date for the holding account points (280). She also explained that I could use 325 points to secure $110 in resort credit if I wanted to do that and explained that could be done before arrival or with Concierge once I was there.

All in all, a painless exercise to good benefit. If I did the transaction solely online, I would have had to choose between:
  • Booking the 1520 1st (use from a different bucket) and then cancel the other reservation. This presumably would have forced all 1800 into holding account.
  • Cancel the 1800 1st and then book the 1520. Without being able to see inventory, hard to tell what risk this would be that the 3 nights wouldn't be there immediately after cancelling, but presumably low. 280 still would have gone into holding account.
  • Beauty of doing it by phone is that the risk (even if low) in #2 above is removed.

NOTE: I didn't ask her about just rebooking the original 2 night stay. If we end up not needing the THU night, we'll cancel that and those points will go into Holding Account, right? If yes, that would be the same result as rebooking the 2 night stay and this gives us option to fly in a day early.

Glad to hear MVC Owner Services took care of it for you and didn't take the "I see what you're seeing, so there's no availability" position.