• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Very Specific iPhone Question

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
You're preaching to the choir.

I am not a 20-year-old college student who thinks they have to have an XR because their 7 just doesn't cut it, not that 20-year-old college students are the only ones who are that way.

:cool:

For me a cell phone is a pocket watch. Also, I do not answer it when I drive, so I'm really, really in the minority.

We upgraded our SE’s to the XR’s because they were both starting to have problems. The problem with the 20 yr olds is that they actually use their phones to multi task, not to make calls! Everything that used to be done on a laptop can now be done with apps. Remember having to buy pocket calculators, etc? Now it’s on apps. Calling is old school. Now it’s all about texting. If we did that as much as they do we would wear ours out too! LOL

This is a different world of technology that we are in than when we were 20. I must admit, I don’t miss the butt dialing that my old cell phones used to lend themselves to.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I don’t miss the butt dialing that my old cell phones used to lend themselves to.

I don't think I ever did that with my flip phone because you close it up when you put it in your pocket, and answering it was simple, open it up and say, "Hello."

But, with my iPhone, nothing is automatic yet . . . answering, dialing, etc., and I do unintentionally touch stuff and stuff happens, so I just push the red button.

:D

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
My late wife refused to give up her Motorola Razr even when the cover was held on with a rubber band:D

Cheers

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
On her own, online, Great Niece got to the point where she was connected to Barclaycard, but she was declined because she was a "user" on a credit card account of her mother's. She and DW called that provider and got her taken off that.

So, now she has to try again, and I guess there are some things on the app that she needs to be able to talk to Barclaycard about.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
My late wife refused to give up her Motorola Razr even when the cover was held on with a rubber band:D

Cheers

The Motorola Razr was my favorite phone ever! I now have an iPhone - but the Razr was the perfect size to not fall out of a pocket and like OldGuy says, you opened it up and say Hello. Mine is still in a drawer and looks new. But, I use my phone for calls - not surfing the web, facebook and very limited texting.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

Cheers

I gave up mine when I could no longer keep it held together. Of course, when I went to replace it, it was so many Gs ago that it was useless. There was a 4G flip phone on display, but not in stock, so I wound up with DW's old iPhone, which she had long ago given up for dead.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Motorola Razr was my favorite phone ever! I now have an iPhone - but the Razr was the perfect size to not fall out of a pocket and like OldGuy says, you opened it up and say Hello. Mine is still in a drawer and looks new. But, I use my phone for calls - not surfing the web, facebook and very limited texting.
My teenager daughter has the phone app on her iphone in a folder called "unneeded apps". I can't make this stuff up.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It's a NO GO for Barclaycard because she has no estalished credit.

So, now we're gonna look at the student CC that has a 6-month, interest-free APR. It was rated the #2 student credit card.

Then, go to Apple and do the trade for $599 cash on the new CC.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
My teenager daughter has the phone app on her iphone in a folder called "unneeded apps". I can't make this stuff up.
I just made my own folder when I first got an iPhone in 2010 that I call Junk - it has all the stuff that I do not want to do with a smart phone. :)

I use the Hotspot more than anything - especially when traveling. Our VPN also works on our phones.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our Great Niece college student wants to upgrade her 7 for an XR, and finance it interest-free, and she's with Cricket.

I did that at Apple online, only Cricket was not one of the carriers, but AT&T is.

I called Apple, and Kaitlin indicated it can be done, by selecting Unlock and SIM, but when I did that, it took the 24-month, interest-free payment plan away.

She wants the payment plan to help build her credit rating.

I had the same talk with my grand daughter. She had the iphone 8 and the back cracked even though it was in a case. She wanted the newest iphone which is over $1000. It has the same glass back. I told her to get the iphone 6s plus which is my favorite iphone because it has a metal back and ear phone jack. I recently bought a 6s plus for my wife for $250.

To build credit my grand daughter bought a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. She did buy the newest iphone too, lol. So did her husband. I guess the 6s plus isn't every ones choice but I like them.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I guess the 6s plus isn't every ones choice but I like them.
I agree that the 6s Plus is a very good phone, but it may not be a great choice if you are planning to keep the phone for a while. With new Apple iOS releases, they limit them so older phones get cut off from updates. Once the phone can no longer receive iOS updates, then many apps cannot be updated and new apps will not install on it.

For example, I have an iPad mini that was working perfectly fine, but I ended up replacing it because I couldn't get new apps for it.

Kurt

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Great Niece got a student Discover card, with a 6-month interest-free APR, so she can go ahead with the direct trade-in via Apple if she wants to.

But, right now she's really tired, with her school and non-school jobs, and today is moving students in for the year, and she's an HR.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I agree that the 6s Plus is a very good phone, but it may not be a great choice if you are planning to keep the phone for a while. With new Apple iOS releases, they limit them so older phones get cut off from updates. Once the phone can no longer receive iOS updates, then many apps cannot be updated and new apps will not install on it.

For example, I have an iPad mini that was working perfectly fine, but I ended up replacing it because I couldn't get new apps for it.

Kurt

I hope that day happens when the iphone goes back to an ear phone jack. My Jeep and many other non-blue tooth car radios have an aux jack to play the phone. I could upgrade the Jeep radio I guess. I kind of like the aluminum back on the 6s better than the glass back on the newer iphones only because the aluminum is shatter proof.

Bill

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I hope that day happens when the iphone goes back to an ear phone jack. My Jeep and many other non-blue tooth car radios have an aux jack to play the phone. I could upgrade the Jeep radio I guess. I kind of like the aluminum back on the 6s better than the glass back on the newer iphones only because the aluminum is shatter proof.

Bill

You can get an adapter. There are many solutions for this... for example:

1. Cable from phone to aux input (difficult to use, but possible).
2. Bluetooth FM transmitter
3. Bluetooth USB/aux adapter. This is what I use in my car to steam music via Bluetooth (my car only has audio Bluetooth since it’s not new).
4. Separate Bluetooth device for hands free calling not connected to radio. I used to travel with one of these when most rental cars didn’t have Bluetooth. It attaches to the visor and was fine but not great.

No new car I know of is now sold without Bluetooth, though I’m sure there is one out there.

In regards to the glass back... get a good case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
What's the deal with all the "free" phone offers now. One of them started it, and all the others have followed.

Free phone(s) and $40 or less.

Anyone do any of them, and are the phones really "free", no strings attached?