• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Woodpeckers [2019 ... MERGED]

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
When the Orioles were passing through, I put orange halves out for them, near out hummingbird feeders, right outside our living room windows, so we can watch all the action.

It turns out that the woodpeckers like the oranges, so it's become an orange every day. The last couple of weeks one of them has been taking a bite, and then giving it to another woodpecker, which patiently waits for it. We're assuming it's a parent and a newborn, like the newborn hummingbirds that are frequenting the feeders, it being that time of year.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Watch out for the woodpeckers. They have punched several holes in the walls of our home. We can't seem to find a handyman or anyone else who repairs this stuff.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Watch out for the woodpeckers. They have punched several holes in the walls of our home. We can't seem to find a handyman or anyone else who repairs this stuff.

They did that to a lot of the signs at the golf course.

So far, ours are content with oranges.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
When the Orioles were passing through, I put orange halves out for them, near out hummingbird feeders, right outside our living room windows, so we can watch all the action.

It turns out that the woodpeckers like the oranges, so it's become an orange every day. The last couple of weeks one of them has been taking a bite, and then giving it to another woodpecker, which patiently waits for it. We're assuming it's a parent and a newborn, like the newborn hummingbirds that are frequenting the feeders, it being that time of year.

We have a pair of Flickers and the male feeds the female. They’ve pecked a lot of holes in our palm trees.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
We have flickers at the oranges, too.

Woodys or downies and redheads and flickers.

Ours is a male feeding a female or a juvenile. Every now and then the one being fed will take a bite of orange itself, but mostly just waits.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
In our former home in Michigan we had a continuing battle with woodpeckers creating holes in our cedar siding. Of course, their favorite spot was near the top of the chimney surround where it was nearly accessible. I periodically had to climb up there, fill the holes with plastic wood, then return and stain them. More than once they then punched holes in the filler, so they were also plasticpeckers.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Do you find your hummingbirds to be super-aggressive and territorial? We have five of them that come around to a feeder but when they do, they are often dive-bombed by another hummingbird. One will sit on watch, waiting for another one to come along then ZOOM!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Do you find your hummingbirds to be super-aggressive and territorial? We have five of them that come around to a feeder but when they do, they are often dive-bombed by another hummingbird. One will sit on watch, waiting for another one to come along then ZOOM!

Exactly that.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
...has arrived and no need for an alarm clock!

Anyone else?
When you live on five remote acres in a wood sided home, you understand the term torture. :eek:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which is better the woodpeckers or Canadian Geese to have on your property?

Woodpeckers makes the sound knocking in your trees but those Canadian Geese
have the poop dropping everywhere ?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked the idea living on five (5) acres of land in a remote area. Peace of mind.
But woodpeckers, being the annoying beasts they are, try to destroy you and your home.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I heard what I assume was a woodpecker yesterday. (I live on 2.5 acres with some trees on the perimeter) My neighbor has a more wooded 5 acre lot, so could have been on their property. I also have a cardinal that attacks one of the windows in my garage every day. Last year it was the glass entry door to the 3 season porch, when we moved in (and couldn't park in the garage yet) our car side mirrors. Those little suckers can do some damage too!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I had carpenter bees tunneling in my cedar board and batten. The woodpeckers would then drill to get the bees and larva. I replaced all the cedar with Hardiplank, a cement based shingle design. No more bees or woodpeckers attacking the house. They still drill into the trees around the property but I actually enjoy the sound.

Cheers

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 24 wild turkeys roaming in our backyard morning and evening ,two(2) Canadian Geese and a red fox . We at one time lived in a remote area. But now the city folks have move to our quiet community.:sick:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had carpenter bees tunneling in my cedar board and batten. The woodpeckers would then drill to get the bees and larva. I replaced all the cedar with Hardiplank, a cement based shingle design. No more bees or woodpeckers attacking the house. They still drill into the trees around the property but I actually enjoy the sound.

Cheers
ME too, i really enjoy listening and watching them. Lucky we have lots of Large Oak trees area the area to keep the busy. :)

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Which is better the woodpeckers or Canadian Geese to have on your property?

Woodpeckers makes the sound knocking in your trees but those Canadian Geese
have the poop dropping everywhere ?
Woodpeckers can also drill holes in your home...which starlings later use for nests...so give me the Canada geese. We have several holes that now need repair. I'm having a heck of a time finding someone who repairs or replaces cedar clapboards.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We have a pair of woodpeckers that come to our feeder at least twice a day It seems that they like to peck on our palm trees, not our house. Palm must be soft because we don't hear it. I enjoy watching them trying to balance on the feeder.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I also have a cardinal that attacks one of the windows in my garage every day. Last year it was the glass entry door to the 3 season porch, when we moved in (and couldn't park in the garage yet) our car side mirrors. Those little suckers can do some damage too!

I spoke too soon. The 3-season porch Cardinal-pecker came back this morning! So I'm being attacked on two sides, time to retreat!

Also, my neighbor announced yesterday the barn swallows are back. I need to get my twirly-gigs up so they don't start building a nest above my covered deck. I'm amazed at how they can build a nest to a vertical surface and it just sticks there. I like birds, just don't like all the droppings down the side of the house/porch posts.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Two juvenile woodpeckers are dining on the corner of my house.
I go out and shoo them away, but they just fly to a nearby tree,
waiting for me to leave. Maybe they're finding something edible?
I 'spose I'll have to replace the cedar corner edging.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
The Woodpeckers are looking for insects/larva. We live in a log home and had a terrible time over several years. I got the disks listed below and never had another problem. Woodpeckers are very skittish birds.

"Efficient to Solve Bird Trouble: Our bird repellent devices can help you easily solve bird problems. Birds don't like glowing moving objects. Our bird deterrent discs can rotate 360 degrees and easily refract sunlight, reflecting dazzling light and scaring away birds. Use these bird control products can let you feel the amazing bird effect!"