• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Vista vs. Lakeshore Reserve

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starting the process of planning a Christmas 2020 WDW vacation. Have always stayed on property, but have decided to actually use our Marriott points for once in Orlando.

Looking for pro's and con's of Grand Vista and Lakeshore Reserve. We will be traveling with four (big) kids (19, 16, 15, 12).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Are they active kids, or kids who prefer just lounging poolside? If active, I would say Grande Vista, as its a larger footprint, with more pools and more stuff to do. If loungers, I would say Lakeshore. That said, I'm sure you would love either.

If the kids are active, have you considered any of the Palm resorts. Sabal, Royal, Imperial. I ask because the kids would likely really enjoy the pools and water slides at the Orlando World Center Marriott which is next door and you would have access to. The resorts are older, but well kept up....and very close to Disney. Something to consider.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starting the process of planning a Christmas 2020 WDW vacation. Have always stayed on property, but have decided to actually use our Marriott points for once in Orlando.

Looking for pro's and con's of Grand Vista and Lakeshore Reserve. We will be traveling with four (big) kids (19, 16, 15, 12).

I completely agree with Fasttr.
For teens the palms would give them wander room away from you while still being on property. There are also shops and restaurants at the world center. We stayed at the sabal and the on site amenities were not crowded at all with the option to use the world center.
I also agree Grande Vista- it’s my favorite MVC in Orlando. Good location close to shops and restaurants too. They were adding a sidewalk outside the property when I was there 1/18.
I have only toured lakeshore and want to go back when it’s just an adult trip- it’s quieter and close to the JW.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
First thing I always suggest to do is look at the Googlemaps aerial views of the resorts, ZOOM in, and see how you feel
about the footprint and layout of each resort. (See links below.)

Next look at the resort photographs online (see links below). They virtually show everything you'll see and experience
while at each place.
You'll probably come away from that exercise with a pretty good assessment of a favorite.

Let the family members sit down together and share all the visuals, and comment and critique both resorts out loud.
Go with your collective gut feelings.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, and they will mostly influence the gut feeling. Everybody on TUG has different feelings
about these two resorts, and probably 50% leans one way, the other 50% leans the other way, so imho,
I'd do the homework myself and only allow certain words from others to contribute to YOUR family's decision.
If everybody has a hand in the decision, it'll be more enjoyable. (You COULD stay a week at each, right?)
Both are amazing resorts, neither is better than the other; they're just so different.

Grande Vista is a more active place, and it's huge and has a million activities.
photos:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/mcogv-marriotts-grande-vista/

aerial view:
https://goo.gl/maps/pxmaXfGsBgjBwf748

Lakeshore Reserve is more laid back, more "refined", and will be a bit more relaxing and imho, more upscale.
photos:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/mcolr-marriotts-lakeshore-reserve/

aerial view:
https://goo.gl/maps/VgHaHyfhiU8LYGLH6

Keep in mind, at LR, you have access to the adjacent JW Marriott Hotel and the Ritz Carlton Hotel, and both are awesome,
with gorgeous pool complexes and grounds.

aerial view of LR, JW Marriott, & Ritz:
https://goo.gl/maps/rKHBXHTYh7XcStXz6

Last edited:

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about "Christmas" week? During peak times, there have been instances where Lakeshore guests are not allowed to use JW pools. It doesn't happen often, but something to consider.
You said you normally stay on property at Disney... Christmas week? That is the most crowded week of the year.
I highly recommend SeaWorld at Christmas. Great decorations, and the shows hold a lot of people. Also Universal parking is free after 6pm... so I also recommend dinner reservations at one of the Citywalk restaurants.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Just to make sure you are not disappointed, sometimes certain nights during peak times are unavailable for Bonvoy point redemptions. Lakeshore Reserve is not easy to book via points, Grande Vista a little easier (did it last year at Easter, but wasn't available at New Year's week so I used DC points).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
First thing I always suggest to do is look at the Googlemaps aerial views of the resorts, ZOOM in, and see how you feel
about the footprint and layout of each resort. (See links below.)

Next look at the resort photographs online (see links below). They virtually show everything you'll see and experience
while at each place.
Or watch YouTube videos of the different resorts :D. But alas, I don't have any videos for either property.

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure you are not disappointed, sometimes certain nights during peak times are unavailable for Bonvoy point redemptions. Lakeshore Reserve is not easy to book via points, Grande Vista a little easier (did it last year at Easter, but wasn't available at New Year's week so I used DC points).
I’m using DC points. Should have made that clearer.

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about "Christmas" week? During peak times, there have been instances where Lakeshore guests are not allowed to use JW pools. It doesn't happen often, but something to consider.
You said you normally stay on property at Disney... Christmas week? That is the most crowded week of the year.
I highly recommend SeaWorld at Christmas. Great decorations, and the shows hold a lot of people. Also Universal parking is free after 6pm... so I also recommend dinner reservations at one of the Citywalk restaurants.

Yes, Christmas week. We’ve never been during that time of year, and yeah, we know it will be swamped. But, it’s just something my wife really wants to do, so I said what the hell. Plus the kids are old enough that we won’t be stuck together. We’ve been to WDW when it’s crowded and when it’s dead (well, as dead as it gets for WDW). I think the main thing is just know what you’re getting into!

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the Royal Palms, Sabal Palms and Imperial Palms. They are old, tired and not up to the standards of either Grande Vista or Lakeshore Reserve. Grande Vista is generally more convenient to the theme parks (certainly to the WDW parks).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the Royal Palms, Sabal Palms and Imperial Palms. They are old, tired and not up to the standards of either Grande Vista or Lakeshore Reserve. Grande Vista is generally more convenient to the theme parks (certainly to the WDW parks).

The "Palms" units may be older, however they are some of the largest Villas in the system. DSV1 Villas are larger.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "Palms" units may be older, however they are some of the largest Villas in the system. DSV1 Villas are larger.

Larger doesn't make them Marriott quality. They are not Marriott quality any longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I would have to disagree. WHile they may be older and the interior layout may be a little more old fashioned. The villas have all been refurbished and looked great when we were there a couple years ago. The 3BR Imperial Palms villas were terrific! THe pools and onsite facilities certainly don't compare, but you have access to all the pool amenities at the World Center which makes up for it.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have to disagree. WHile they may be older and the interior layout may be a little more old fashioned. The villas have all been refurbished and looked great when we were there a couple years ago. The 3BR Imperial Palms villas were terrific! THe pools and onsite facilities certainly don't compare, but you have access to all the pool amenities at the World Center which makes up for it.
I was at Sabal Palms a few years ago. While the units had been refurbished, the designs were old, the layouts were clunky and the overall facilities were quite worn for a Marriott property. Anyone expecting something like the newer properties will be sorely disappointed. The World Center amenitied are quite a distance away, too.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

For these ages I would do GV with my second choice Cypress Harbour and third the World Center Resorts assuming you'll spend much time on property. If you're just going to sleep and hit the parks I'd put World Center First because that would be the closest.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the kids' ages I would try to get a 3BR at GV. I think it's the better option for teens also. Much more to do, and more places to get quick food and snacks. There is a lot more near GV and it's 10 minutes closer to Disney. I would think that the teens would be bored at Lakeshore. CH is one of my all time favorites, but the sleeping situation isn't good for that many teens/adults

mj2vacation

Reaction score
We love in the area. Any of the resorts are nice, just a matter of which fits your needs and which have availability.

As for the parks, it’s not busy. It’s insane. Like wall to wall insanity. Even the toll roads get backed up with traffic.

We typically don’t mind living in the area. Those 2-3 weeks, however.....

tynian16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at Sabal Palms a few years ago. While the units had been refurbished, the designs were old, the layouts were clunky and the overall facilities were quite worn for a Marriott property. Anyone expecting something like the newer properties will be sorely disappointed. The World Center amenitied are quite a distance away, too.

Have to totally disagree with this. I stayed at the Royal Palms and while not luxurious, the units are more than what are needed to enjoy a Disney trip. The World Center is right next door. It is a very short walk that I did many times during the week. I think the Palms are highly underrated properties.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I know I was told earlier by @dioxide45. I bought a getaway for grand vista. The confirmation leads me to believe it’s a lockout unit. We purchased two units. I am going to call them to make sure we are close to each other, how to I make sure it’s a lockout? Is there a specific building to ask for?

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have to totally disagree with this. I stayed at the Royal Palms and while not luxurious, the units are more than what are needed to enjoy a Disney trip. The World Center is right next door. It is a very short walk that I did many times during the week. I think the Palms are highly underrated properties.
To each his own. I would not use up my MVCI points to stay there. There are so many better options.