• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2016 - Lennen v. Marriott]

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Actually, what you said made sense. Thank you!!

Can I call you the next time we want to book something, for the support????

If you have never booked online before, the best way to learn is to practice well before you need to book to get comfortable with the process. If you have usable points in your account, you can go all the way through the search, availability, selection, and booking process - all the way up to the "Book" button. Just don't click "Book". Click "Cancel" instead. You can do this until you feel you know the system. You can even practice a couple weeks before the release date for the exact location you want to go (just for earlier release dates), to get a feel for availability and how fast the reservations disappear.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Does anyone know of a book or videos on you tube or something that explains the ins and outs of using the points? Something like a Marriott Vacation Club For Dummies"? I would find it very useful
Have you watched the Points Owner webinar video recording....they also have live webinar's available. Here's the link.... https://vacationclub.readytalk.com/?p=r

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it matters because for many, and I include myself in the many, the concept does not work as presented. Getting the weeks or booking the various resorts has been very difficult. I can go to Phoenix all I want in the middle of the summer and can travel to Hilton Head all I want in the middle of the winter. But the premier vacations they showed me in the presentation....not so much. So yes...if an out was presented to me at anything close to the $45,000 I have "invested" I would take it. A 40-50% loss would acceptable.

For the record...I called Marriott to sell them back the points. What I purchased for an average of about $12+ a point can be sold back to Marriott at $1.67. That is one hell of a spread.

The key to points and weeks usage is to PLAN AHEAD.

Are you trying to make your reservations 13 months out? I'm confident you could book anyplace you would like to go to on May 10th, 2020 (13 months from today) if you book your reservations today.

As someone else has suggested, go to www.VacationPointExchange.com

On VPE you will be able to rent your points to recoup your costs, or, alternatively you can rent some additional points if you are a little short on needed points.

Hope things work out for you!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it matters because for many, and I include myself in the many, the concept does not work as presented. Getting the weeks or booking the various resorts has been very difficult. I can go to Phoenix all I want in the middle of the summer and can travel to Hilton Head all I want in the middle of the winter. But the premier vacations they showed me in the presentation....not so much. So yes...if an out was presented to me at anything close to the $45,000 I have "invested" I would take it. A 40-50% loss would acceptable.

For the record...I called Marriott to sell them back the points. What I purchased for an average of about $12+ a point can be sold back to Marriott at $1.67. That is one hell of a spread.
It can be frustrating and it truly is you against the other members as you are in direct competition with a subset of the members for any given option. Just being able and willing to reserve at the first second 12 months out is not even enough for many of the higher demand options. But in reality you admit you are not being proactive and did not understand what you were buying into. At 40-50% they'd be "break even" since roughly half of their costs on the sale are not hard "value" but commissions and marketing related. So if they took it back at 50% and resold at 100% they would not make any profit and would have lost out on selling a "new" product. They would, in effect, be in competition with themselves. The other issue is the inherent nature of a points system. Everyone that buys a points system has some type of usage in mind and on average, most everyone is targeting the same times and locations. Rather than giving it away another option is to learn to use it better, reserve at 12 months (or 13 months if you qualify) and learn to use the wait list. Most also need to be more flexible than they are. Plus they purposefully want the exit option to be difficult to drive potential member to retail over resale.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawsuit update. Hearing on the motion to reconsider the order deny class is scheduled for 4/22. It will be a telephonic hearing.
Also got bored and went and looked through all 222 motions and rulings. There has been a bunch of stuff thrown out and a lot of it for missing deadline and failing to properly notify or file.
For the remaining claims, both County and Marriott have filed affirmative defenses. A lot of them are technical in nature about improper filing and incorrect citations. Then about 50+ pages of asserting an affirmative defense on each count and a lot of funny references at the plaintiff lawyers on paragraphs the judges early ruled were not even clear claims. Pretty funny stuff for a legal pleading.
Since the judge has ruled that the plaintiff can not amend their filings because they failed to ask, will be interesting to see if all this gets tossed next week on motion to reconsider. My guess is no class = no interest by the lawyers to keep going.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update on the motion to reconsider certifying a class.
The judge rules that the lawyers still have no class (One of my favorite lawyer jokes).

Seriously, here is the judgement. Judge upheld not certifying a class. (Another win for MVCI et. al.)

The Court held a hearing earlier today and now, Plaintiffs’ Motion for Reconsideration and/or Clarification of Order Denying Motion for Class Certification and Motion for Leave to File Class Certification Reply (Doc. 223) is DENIED. Plaintiffs have fourteen days from the rendition of this Order to file a new motion for class certification directed to the remaining claims. DONE and ORDERED in Orlando, Florida on April 22, 2019

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
And Marriott and Orange County win

"Accordingly, it is ORDERED and ADJUDGED as follows: 1. Marriott’s Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings (Doc. 228) is GRANTED. 2. Count I of the Amended Complaint (Doc. 124) is DISMISSED. 3. The Clerk is directed to terminate Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc., Marriott Resorts Travel Company, Inc., Marriott Resorts Title Company, Inc., MVC Trust Owners Association, Inc., First American Financial Corporation, First American Trust, FSB, First American Title Insurance Company, and Marriott Resorts Hospitality Corporation as defendants in this matter and amend the case style accordingly. DONE and ORDERED in Orlando, Florida on August 16, 2019."
after that case name was changed to Lennen v. Orange County Florida
Then

And Orange County wins
"JUDGMENT IN A CIVIL CASE Decision by Court. This action came before the Court and a decision has been rendered. IT IS ORDERED AND ADJUDGED Judgment is hereby entered in favor of Defendant Orange County Florida and against Plaintiffs Anthony Lennen and Beth Lennen, providing that Plaintiffs shall take nothing on their claim against the Defendant. Date: August 19, 2019"

Appeal filed but I wouldn't hold my breath. With no class certification not much incentive here for lawyers.