• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Villa group members update meeting

dosomething0

Reaction score
I just went on my Villa Group members update meeting today.
Of course they tried to get me to convert my gold membership into a points membership.
One of the reasons I gave as to why I didn’t want to convert was that when you sell your points membership it reverts back to a premier membership. The salesperson said that wasn’t the case anymore and you can sell points as points.
I’m assuming they are either lying or misinformed. Is there any truth to what they told me?

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
Gold membership is golden . You always get a week regardless if future they devalued the points , new properties will cost more points . If you own a week you will get a week . Resale gold much value then points .

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I just went on my Villa Group members update meeting today.
Of course they tried to get me to convert my gold membership into a points membership.
One of the reasons I gave as to why I didn’t want to convert was that when you sell your points membership it reverts back to a premier membership. The salesperson said that wasn’t the case anymore and you can sell points as points.
I’m assuming they are either lying or misinformed. Is there any truth to what they told me?

That is interesting. I was inquiring into a points membership in the bargain deals and it was claimed that the seller could simply add me to their contract and I would have full access to the points. Even if I could do this I wouldn't trade my mf or rtu for the higher mf and rtu with the points. The way the club has split into different ownership groups may have implications for how the points can be used some day. I don't know if its a certain that points in one group will be honored with all groups.

Bill

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
It's been a while since we've had a points resale conversation on this forum...so this note caused me to review some research I did a few years ago...June 2016 to be exact. See this thread to refresh your memory.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/uvc-consolidation-of-contracts.243047/#post-1896679

There have been new Bylaws published since then for the UVC and VPA clubs. Section 2.06 is the relevant section in both. Bottom line is that trying to sell a points membership to a non-family member can still be problematic but, perhaps more likely than before. The UVC Bylaws still explicitly state that a UVC points membership will revert to a Premier membership. In addition, memberships will be stripped of remaining points, VPA memberships "may" revert to a weeks membership, both are subject to extra fees as determined by the club (but no longer appears to be based on a percent of original purchase price), and may lose preferred time. Sales are still subject to first right of refusal and various other T's and C's. See this link for details for each club:

https://myuvci.com/vacation-club-information/

Bottom line...it may be possible to resell a points membership. You will only know if you contact Resortcom and see how they will treat that particular membership - the details are pretty mushy.

FWIW

bbb

dosomething0

Reaction score
Another thing they told me is that gold members will not be able to stay at the new “elite” resort Villa Valencia.
I thought the gold membership contract said it’s valid at any and all future resorts.
Is there any truth to that?

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Who knows for sure? I agree with you that the contracts call for any and all future resorts...yet Garza Blanca happened. I suppose they could limit access to Villa La Valencia to only Elite members...but I've been to two updates there so far and have seen no mention of that. Don't think they could sustain the resort or sell enough new contracts if they did that. Calling it an "elite" resort sounds like sales fluff.

My brother has a gold week and was told in Feb '19 during his meeting at Villa La Valencia that yes indeed he will still have access to Villa La Valencia. The challenge will be availability. There will only be inventory available at Villa La Valencia (actually true for all resorts) in proportion to the percentage of Gold memberships that exist in the system. Now keep in mind that I have absolutely no clue about actual numbers - I'm totally making this up... but just for example say that 50% of available inventory across resorts is unsold, 40% is points, 7% Gold and 3% Premier and others - then only 7% of inventory will be allocated for Gold users with who knows what kind of algorithm deciding which weeks in which resorts...just saying.

FWIW

bbb

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Premiere contracts that begin with the 16- no longer have access to the Loreto resort. I think any contract, including gold contracts, that begin with 16- no longer have access to Loreto either.

When I bought our first resale there were only three Villa Group resorts. One in Cabo and two in Puerto Vallarta. When Flamingos first opened there was an upgrade fee added to the reservation for older contracts. This fee didn't last long because no one was willing to pay extra to go to Flamingos.

I kink of think that as these developers realize that there are so many options in Mexico that are equal or better than what they built they will release inventory to all members when the vacancy rate drops. The vacancy rates drop in Mexico very fast when they do drop. Flu and violence are the main reasons.

The more popular type of reservations regarding the younger people heading to Mexico are the all inclusive RUI and Hard Rock Hotel type stays that do not require a membership. One side of my family likes the Hard Rock and has reservations for the new Cabo resort. This younger generation is not buying what developers are selling.

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
[QUOTE="easyrider, post: 2327526, member: 5600.
This younger generation is not buying what developers are selling.
Bill[/QUOTE]

So far -

IMO : the millennial generation has not yet reached the “ prime buying “ age .

If they eventually have kids and have to pay AI fees for kids - you may find them asking you
how to buy resale and save on the vacation cost .(unless they find a money tree).

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These kids are all over 35. What is prime buying age ?

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
These kids are all over 35. What is prime buying age ?

Bill
closer to 50 - and you have been married for 20 +years / the Mexican sun and a 1 bedroom suite -
make for such an enjoyable week that you want to do it again next year .

In one of this week’s Mexican forum Vidanta threads - a TUG member mentioned that they bought
Mayan Palace on their 20th anniversary vacation .

(ie) - even 35+year old “millennials” are not there yet .

Last edited:

emckay7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villa Group
I realize I'm late to this party. Since you all are discussing points memberships, I'm curious if you know whether or not such a membership can be given away. I'm asking based on the comment above that it can be difficult to sell points memberships.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I realize I'm late to this party. Since you all are discussing points memberships, I'm curious if you know whether or not such a membership can be given away. I'm asking based on the comment above that it can be difficult to sell points memberships.

Yes, these can be given away and there is a $250 transfer fee if all the loans and mf are paid.

When a person realizes that the point membership becomes a premiere membership with a home resort of PV or Cabo with a mf and rtu of a points membership, it becomes apparent this is a very bad deal. I think it would be better to give it back to the resort or to just walk away.

I drove by the Valencia a few times and the resort is right on the highway. It looks different than the others. More of a box. The problem will be the limited amount of view rooms, imo. I doubt that it will be a popular destination. More like a one and done, imo.

Bill

emckay7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Villa Group
Yes, these can be given away and there is a $250 transfer fee if all the loans and mf are paid.

When a person realizes that the point membership becomes a premiere membership with a home resort of PV or Cabo with a mf and rtu of a points membership, it becomes apparent this is a very bad deal. I think it would be better to give it back to the resort or to just walk away.

I drove by the Valencia a few times and the resort is right on the highway. It looks different than the others. More of a box. The problem will be the limited amount of view rooms, imo. I doubt that it will be a popular destination. More like a one and done, imo.

Bill

Thank you for your reply, Bill. Villa Group called me yesterday & I was able to get more information about the "walking away" option. They require a completed & notarized "Voluntary Surrender of Membership" form along with payment of a $500 fee. Given that I have over 4000 points banked, I'm thinking I take one last Villa Group vacation & then pay the fee for my freedom.

Elle

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your reply, Bill. Villa Group called me yesterday & I was able to get more information about the "walking away" option. They require a completed & notarized "Voluntary Surrender of Membership" form along with payment of a $500 fee. Given that I have over 4000 points banked, I'm thinking I take one last Villa Group vacation & then pay the fee for my freedom.

Elle

I would use the points and fill out the paperwork but I would give them 500 pesos instead of $500 usd.

Bill