• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is impossible to book in the desert when owning only one Marriott unit?

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
As some of you may have read in other threads, I am trying to buy a DSVII Platinum lock-off to get me into Palm Desert in the high-season. I can't manage this type of reservation by trading through II with a non-Marriott unit (I own a Vistana timeshare).

After reading about the 13 month booking preference when owning more than one unit, it made me concerned that I might not even be able to book what I am interested in at 12 months, even when booking at my own home resort.

If I am on the computer at midnight, a year ahead for the week I want to book, do you think I have a shot at these two scenarios:

a) Either of the Christmas weeks
b) 3rd and 4th week of March (Spring break for my daughter)

I know when trading in II, it pays to be flexible and search often, but if I buy for the purpose of staying at my home resort and booking through Marriott, I want to have some reasonable expectation I can do it for these harder to get times. Is this possible, or do you really NEED to own multiple weeks in order to take advantage of the 13 month reservation window?

I really want to know this before buying this unit, otherwise I should just be buying a trader unit with lower MF's and using that for a request-ahead type reservation in II.

Thanks!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As some of you may have read in other threads, I am trying to buy a DSVII Platinum lock-off to get me into Palm Desert in the high-season. I can't manage this type of reservation by trading through II with a non-Marriott unit (I own a Vistana timeshare).

After reading about the 13 month booking preference when owning more than one unit, it made me concerned that I might not even be able to book what I am interested in at 12 months, even when booking at my own home resort.

If I am on the computer at midnight, a year ahead for the week I want to book, do you think I have a shot at these two scenarios:

I know when trading in II, it pays to be flexible and search often, but if I buy for the purpose of staying at my home resort and booking through Marriott, I want to have some reasonable expectation I can do it for these harder to get times. Is this possible, or do you really NEED to own multiple weeks in order to take advantage of the 13 month reservation window?

I really want to know this before buying this unit, otherwise I should just be buying a trader unit with lower MF's and using that for a request-ahead type reservation in II.

Thanks!
Not sure of the correct answer on this, but there will almost often be more people wanting this than there are units available. (Reminds me of my struggle to book any summer week at Newport Coast, as a single week owner.) Maybe the desert seasons are better defined?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Christmas week is very easy to book. As long as you book right at 6am Pacific Time at 12 months, you can book March weeks without issue. The larger rooms - 1BR and 2BR disappear within 5 minutes.

I own 2 weeks at DSV I and have been doing the March weeks booking for many years, using either 12 months or 13 months booking window.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Christmas week is very easy to book. As long as you book right at 6am Pacific Time at 12 months, you can book March weeks without issue. The larger rooms - 1BR and 2BR disappear within 5 minutes.

I own 2 weeks at DSV I and have been doing the March weeks booking for many years, using either 12 months or 13 months booking window.

Do you happen to know if those March weeks I want happen to fall during a popular event in Palm Desert? Or are they just booked quickly because of it being golf-season and some Spring Break weeks for certain areas?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Marriott does not release all of the inventory at 13 months. They hold back about 50%, I believe, for release at 12 months. So if you are online right at 9am Eastern on that release day, you will have an equal chance with everyone else for the inventory released on that day.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Not sure of the correct answer on this, but there will almost often be more people wanting this than there are units available. (Reminds me of my struggle to book any summer week at Newport Coast, as a single week owner.) Maybe the desert seasons are better defined?

I always expect more people will want these times of year, but not everyone will actually set their watch to book at the right time so far ahead (with the exception of the TUGgers who know a thing or two)! :D I was hoping that the 13 week reservations don't wipe out all the inventory. We're you calling in to make your reservation, or were you able to try online? I am guessing that booking online gives an advantage if booking at 12 months.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Marriott does not release all of the inventory at 13 months. They hold back about 50%, I believe, for release at 12 months. So if you are online right at 9am Eastern on that release day, you will have an equal chance with everyone else for the inventory released on that day.

Is it being online at 9AM eastern, or do you mean for phoning in and speaking with an agent? I thought the inventory was released online the preceding night at midnight... or maybe I am getting confused with the rules for Vistana?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I agree with others about Christmas week. We have reserved that a couple times without issue. We have never tried for March, but I suspect that you won’t have a problem if you try right when the booking window opens.

Best regards.

Mike

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if those March weeks I want happen to fall during a popular event in Palm Desert? Or are they just booked quickly because of it being golf-season and some Spring Break weeks for certain areas?
As @JIMinNC pointed out, 50% of the inventory are released at 12 months and the other 50% at 13 months.

March in Palm Desert is their peak demand period, 2nd week and 3rd week especially, with somewhat lower demand for 1st and 4th week. There are many events going on in March, that and combined with nice weather.

If not for pet obligation and "prepaid" golf via our membership at our local country club, we can spend all of our time in Palm Desert between October to March. We love the area.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it being online at 9AM eastern, or do you mean for phoning in and speaking with an agent? I thought the inventory was released online the preceding night at midnight... or maybe I am getting confused with the rules for Vistana?
Preceding night at midnight Eastern time is a Vistana thing. Marriott releases at 9am Eastern Time. At 12 months, you can book online. Anything that needs to be booked consecutively or at 13 months needs to be done by an agent on the phone.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Preceding night at midnight Eastern time is a Vistana thing. Marriott releases at 9am Eastern Time. At 12 months, you can book online. Anything that needs to be booked consecutively or at 13 months needs to be done by an agent on the phone.

From the TUG DC Points FAQ:
>>*Note as with the MVCI Weeks system, available DC Points inventory is officially released at 9:00AM Eastern Standard Time on the Release Day. However, several TUGgers have reported that when using the owners.marriottvacationclub.com DC Points online booking tool, they have occasionally seen and been able to book intervals earlier, shortly after midnight on the Release Day. It is recommended that you check for the possibility.<<

I know this OP is asking about booking Weeks inventory so the release time will be 9AM Eastern on the phone and online, but I just want to clarify that Marriott DC Points inventory may come available shortly after midnight.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It's a different season and resort, but I have always booked Shadow Ridge for Thanksgiving at 12 months, which is above and beyond the hardest week to get in that season.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
The month of March is not only Spring Break but also BNP Tennis Tourney.
I believe Spring Break for schools in SoCal are end of March through April. We are mid April which always fall during Coachella.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
From the TUG DC Points FAQ:
>>*Note as with the MVCI Weeks system, available DC Points inventory is officially released at 9:00AM Eastern Standard Time on the Release Day. However, several TUGgers have reported that when using the owners.marriottvacationclub.com DC Points online booking tool, they have occasionally seen and been able to book intervals earlier, shortly after midnight on the Release Day. It is recommended that you check for the possibility.<<

I know this OP is asking about booking Weeks inventory so the release time will be 9AM Eastern on the phone and online, but I just want to clarify that Marriott DC Points inventory may come available shortly after midnight.
And a corollary to this is that when reserving weeks, all inventory is often gone in minutes. But availability often "reappears" in the hours and days following the initial release. I got a Thanksgiving week this way when my alarm didn't go off and I missed the initial 9am start.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a different season and resort, but I have always booked Shadow Ridge for Thanksgiving at 12 months, which is above and beyond the hardest week to get in that season.
It may be so when booking directly through ownership but there are plenty of Thanksgiving weeks at Shadow Ridge and Desert Springs available in II and it is a very easy trade. March weeks are nearly impossible to trade into except for studios.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BNP Paribas will run March 9 through 22 next year, so that will put a dent in availability.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
As I said in the other thread, I'd make the purchase and see how it goes. You've committed yourself on that purchase anyway unless you lose out on ROFR. IMO DSV II Red (Platinum) is worth the relatively minor difference in fees which is what, roughly $275/yr compared to the lowest Willow Ridge and minimally less difference for the next lowest, LV? Even for white (Gold), it's still a reasonable choice though I would prefer the other 2 Platinum ONLY to trade compared to DSV II White but not compared to DSV II Red.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Hi @Dean

I'm only looking for Red, I want to make sure I have a solid 'exit plan' and also own the season I want to stay in. I haven't committed on a purchase yet, by tomorrow possibly a different story. That's why time was of the essence to make sure I am still on the right track. ROFR I can't control, only my initial purchase decision(s). I was not opposed to owning Willow Ridge as a trader, but there just isn't a lot of inventory out there at the moment.

The price spread on fees for DSVII might be a little more, does that include the separately billed tax? I probably have to revisit my notes on the fees for that unit.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi @Dean

I'm only looking for Red, I want to make sure I have a solid 'exit plan' and also own the season I want to stay in. I haven't committed on a purchase yet, by tomorrow possibly a different story. That's why time was of the essence to make sure I am still on the right track. ROFR I can't control, only my initial purchase decision(s). I was not opposed to owning Willow Ridge as a trader, but there just isn't a lot of inventory out there at the moment.

The price spread on fees for DSVII might be a little more, does that include the separately billed tax? I probably have to revisit my notes on the fees for that unit.
Property taxes are billed directly by Riverside county and amounts to just a touch under $100 per week.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
It may be so when booking directly through ownership but there are plenty of Thanksgiving weeks at Shadow Ridge and Desert Springs available in II and it is a very easy trade. March weeks are nearly impossible to trade into except for studios.
I haven't seen all that availability, but its interesting if that's the case. That week has a very high TDI and we get great trades from those deposits. Probably a lot of people doing the same, and not staying on their reservation.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi @Dean

Why would it be sent for ROFR if you haven't committed? Your other posts suggested you were already in ROFR. I think you're as well off with Desert white season as you are WR Platinum from a trade power and exit standpoint but assume for both you'll have to give it away and pay the transfer.

Property taxes are billed directly by Riverside county and amounts to just a touch under $100 per week.
I knew some were in the $75 range and some $100 but didn't have the specific amounts. I allowed for $75 so if DSV II is $100, add $25 to my numbers. I did use round numbers, one could work it out more exactly .

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Why would it be sent for ROFR if you haven't committed? Your other posts suggested you were already in ROFR. I think you're as well off with Desert white season as you are WR Platinum from a trade power and exit standpoint but assume for both you'll have to give it away and pay the transfer.

I apologize if I had some poor sentence structure in any of my posts but I am not in ROFR and didn't want to portray that I was. I had asked the question in another post if I should bother trying to buy Marriott right now, given that ROFR is so active. I have been pouring over the ROFR database trying to make heads or tails of a pattern, but have decided that price is not really the issue so I should just try and buy something and see what happens. I could try and avoid ROFR by buying DSVI, but that isn't the resort I'm interested in. Desert white season as a trader may be okay to own (and can be had for $50 on ebay these days), but it is not the season I would actually want to stay in so have ruled that out. I am hoping to stay in the desert in Red season (I can't currently trade into that season using what I own in Vistana), but will have to pay more than fifty bucks to get that. ;)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
@marmite , I live in the San Diego area and own 2 white weeks and a red week at the DSV 1 and 2. I end up trading most split weeks but my trades include a variety of Marriotts typically.

Although I know that you are looking to be in Palm Desert in the Red season, you might also consider exchanging into Marriott Canyon Villas (Scottsdale/Phoenix). The weather in the Feb to April period is very similar to that in Palm Desert. Similarly, you may want to consider Marriott Newport Coast. It is a great location to travel to. The last time I exchanged there, I used a white DSV2 efficiency to get a September week. It'll be beautiful weather in Sept.

I bought white weeks because they are cheap and also because I love going to the desert in the fall. If I was going to do it again, I'd go for a Red week. Not because I need the red season, but for slightly better trading power. To me, I think that the fall weather is slightly better than Jan-March. I have been setting the clock and reserving Thanksgiving week at the 13 month point. So far, I have been 100% successful. BTW, I also enjoy going to the Marriott Timberlodge (Tahoe) in June, August, Sept or October. It is an easy trade using one of my DSV's. Sedona is another one of my favorite vacation spots. It is about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix. No Marriotts there but plenty of other TS to exchange into.