• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NYC

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista EOY
Hello, folks! Have a question for you about NYC stays. We travel to NYC several times a year from Philly for shows and to see friends. We’re wondering if a purchase makes sense for us. I see that Hilton has several properties there, but the buy in price and maintenance fees are more than we’d like to spend. If we bought a contract in another place, with the express purpose of trying to use the points in NYC mostly (but other places too), how likely is that? Is buying points to use elsewhere a plan that anyone else uses? Thanks for the info!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Points from other locations can only be used in NYC at 45 days, you wont have any advanced booking rights as a nonNYC owner. You might find some odds and ends that would fit if you can do last minute for shows, etc. Owners can also book single nights during the cash open season, non-owners have to book 2 nights.

172233e09d99507a49e1269f6f3cc2a0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own in NYC (W. 57th) because it makes sense for us. But, yes, the buy in and MFs are higher than other properties.

In using other points, I believe that the booking window is now 59 days from check-in (as opposed to the 45 it used to be). At the least, I am given the option to use regular HGVC points at CO-59 now, although I am an owner as well, so don't know if that's a factor. Also, I get a 59-day option at Residences, where I am not an owner.

With 2 properties now (I don't count HCNY as they don't let anyone else in at all) and 2 more coming, I think the chances of getting something at CO-59 will improve. Since you are close (I grew up in NYC and went to school in Philly, so I know that it's roughly a 99-mile train journey :)), doing things at CO-59 should not be an issue.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You will need to be flexible on dates to get NYC in the 60 day window. Availability should be better for the next couple of years but when Central and Quin sell out, then it will not be as available. New owners will be reserving the units (NYC owners don't tend to trade their expensive points). Central at 5th apparently has sold very quickly per their latest securities call so you may not have as much time as we think.

As a non-owner you also will not have access to the lounge for breakfast and pre-show appetizers.

Open season is only available to owners in NYC but there are more cost effective ways NYC owners can stretch their ownership.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need to be flexible on dates to get NYC in the 60 day window. Availability should be better for the next couple of years but when Central and Quin sell out, then it will not be as available. New owners will be reserving the units (NYC owners don't tend to trade their expensive points). Central at 5th apparently has sold very quickly per their latest securities call so you may not have as much time as we think.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Currently, Central and Qui are not open, so their inventory is not contributing to availability, Yet, if I look at the 60-day mark, I can generally find availability at at least one of W. 57th, District, often both. When the new ones come online, we'll have more people, but also more inventory by the same amount. Of course, the additional properties could change the dynamic in other ways as well. But, on the surface, I don't see a negative impact.

Cheers.

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the information! Which property and amount of points would you consider? Typically, we like to go to NYC for 2-3 nights a few times a year. I’m open to other vacations, too. Thanks again.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is for 5250 points at W. 57th. The point amount is good, and I prefer this to the properties over at the Midtown Hilton hotel. Since the other properties are not online yet, I can't speak to those.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I would recommend resales at W57 and The Residences because these give you the most flexibility. Lowest MF on Manhattan is W57 studio. A 5250 pt platinum is the best value on a buy-in + MF/point basis. There are also 3750 points for lower price but not sure if that will get you enough stays especially if you stay during plat season which require more points. Check the W57 points chart.

Hilton Club NY (HCNY) is also a possibility but the MF is high and is very restricted for trading but if you need last minute availability into NYC this is the best option.

The newer properties are not available yet so resales don't exist.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I would recommend resales at W57 and The Residences because these give you the most flexibility. Lowest MF on Manhattan is W57 studio. A 5250 pt platinum is the best value on a buy-in + MF/point basis. There are also 3750 points for lower price but not sure if that will get you enough stays especially if you stay during plat season which require more points. Check the W57 points chart.

Hilton Club NY (HCNY) is also a possibility but the MF is high and is very restricted for trading but if you need last minute availability into NYC this is the best option.

The newer properties are not available yet so resales don't exist.

As an owner at HCNY (floors 36, 37, and 38 of Midtown Hilton), there are no restrictions in those points. You can use them at any of the HGVC and bHC resorts or trade any amount at 50:1 for Hilton Honors (though not the wisest use given that the MF are about $0.28 per point). The nice perk is that it is a “club within a club” and not available to any non-owners. Your competition for booking is only the owners in the HCNY pool. This makes last minute bookings much easier. They also have two bedroom options which have been super helpful in my stays there. Resale cost for 5000 points will likely be less than 5000 points at West 57th. I have owned at West 57th and I do have tremendous affection for that property. But for the reasons I stated above I am very pleased with my ownership at HCNY.

Sean

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sean is correct. I was referring to an OP owner at HCNY that complained that he couldn't add his club points owned elsewhere with his HCNY points to stay at HCNY. With W57 and Residences you can augment your stay at the 59 day mark with club points owned elsewhere using the club window if there is availability. There is no club window at HCNY which has its pros and cons.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to own at HCNY, but found the Midtown Hilton elevator situation onerous. Also, at the time, the lounge was far inferior to the W. 57th. We've since visited the remodeled HCNY lounge and it is quite improved. I still prefer the lounge at W. 57th especially as it has an outdoor seating area.

The feel of these are different. HCNY (and Residences) are on upper floors of a very large hotel while W. 57th is self-contained and much quieter. Also, while they're close together, I like the location of W. 57th better.

So, a lot depends upon the look-and-feel you're interested in/

Cheers.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
When the new ones come online, we'll have more people, but also more inventory by the same amount.

My bet is we are going to have considerably better inventory available when the new ones come on line. The reason I think the inventory will be more “available” is when you consider how high the point requirements are for the new projects, everyone will be booking the W57th and Residences first. W57th is going to be to the NYC properties what Lagoon Tower is to HHV (in terms of point value).

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is for 5250 points at W. 57th. The point amount is good.

Cheers.

I would recommend resales at W57 and The Residences because these give you the most flexibility. Lowest MF on Manhattan is W57 studio. A 5250 pt platinum is the best value on a buy-in + MF/point basis. There are also 3750 points for lower price but not sure if that will get you enough stays...

While I mostly agree with the recommendations above, west 57th also have a more economical option. All studios at West 57th pays the same MF. The best option, MF to points ratio wise would therefore be to buy a studio with 7.200 points annually. That option however will carry a huge buyin price tag. The second best option is the 5.250 point package, the price is less than the 7.200 but it is still a lot of money, I think around $20.000 to pass the ROFR.

The third option which is the one I myself bought is the 5.100 point package. It’s a gold week, and normally only platinum points/weeks are recommended but in this case gold weeks should be considered too. The 5.100 point package is/was approx $5000 less in buyin cost compared to the 5.250 package, but you forego 150 points each year compared to the 5.250 package on the other hand you also save $5000 on the buyin cost. The same goes if you buy the 5.250 package you forego 1.950 points annually compared to the 7.200 but you save on the buyin cost.

As I won’t book during home resort time the choice wasn’t that difficult.

I also think the 5.100 gold package is easier to sneak by the ROFR compared to the platinum 5.250.

Going forward I think HGVC will continue to grab west 57 contracts as they are higher valued for customers due to the lower MF and the lower points requirements.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
My bet is we are going to have considerably better inventory available when the new ones come on line. The reason I think the inventory will be more “available” is when you consider how high the point requirements are for the new projects, everyone will be booking the W57th and Residences first. W57th is going to be to the NYC properties what Lagoon Tower is to HHV (in terms of point value).

I agree however if the Quinn have 2br then they might go just as fast as no other NYC have 2br’ (not including HCNY)

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I mostly agree with the recommendations above, west 57th also have a more economical option. All studios at West 57th pays the same MF. The best option, MF to points ratio wise would therefore be to buy a studio with 7.200 points annually. That option however will carry a huge buyin price tag. The second best option is the 5.250 point package, the price is less than the 7.200 but it is still a lot of money, I think around $20.000 to pass the ROFR.

The 7200 point Studio Premier are like unicorns. We have heard rumors of them, but no one can find them. I look periodically, and have not seen them on resale. There are only 4 suck units in the building so, while they may exist in resale, they are hard to find. But, yes, that would be option #1.

We were offered this at an "owner's update" as a trade from our 5250. But they wanted $30K in new money so we passed.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree however if the Quinn have 2br then they might go just as fast as no other NYC have 2br’ (not including HCNY)

The NYC HGVC rep told us that there are several owners of W57 that own multiple units to house their family and they are buying Quin to get the 2 bedrooms.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 7200 point Studio Premier are like unicorns. We have heard rumors of them, but no one can find them. I look periodically, and have not seen them on resale. There are only 4 suck units in the building so, while they may exist in resale, they are hard to find. But, yes, that would be option #1.

We were offered this at an "owner's update" as a trade from our 5250. But they wanted $30K in new money so we passed.

Cheers.

It seems that $30k in new money is HGVC going rate. If they can’t make that it’s not worth it to them.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
The NYC HGVC rep told us that there are several owners of W57 that own multiple units to house their family and they are buying Quin to get the 2 bedrooms.

Do we know how much the 2br are costing as a buyin but also point wise?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Thanks for the information! Which property and amount of points would you consider? Typically, we like to go to NYC for 2-3 nights a few times a year. I’m open to other vacations, too. Thanks again.

Do you go on long weekends to NYC 2-3 times a year? What size unit will you need, and what time of year will you be traveling? We bought 7800 points at Elara to use for booking Hawaii and NYC, but those points get used up quickly on weekends at W57. I was typically booking Fri-Mon, in the lowest point studio, for 3150 points. Plus the $85 short stay fee. That would only get me two long weekends until I would need to borrow from the upcoming year. Recently bought a 5250 point W57 week (like others are recommending), and it's much more convenient to book NY farther out with less stress and more options to book a nicer and bigger unit. Now I wish we had even more points since I've already borrowed most of our 2020 points.

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again for the info. Yes, we go to NYC 2-3 times a year. Usually, we stay for 2 nights, but sometimes just for one night, since we live so close (Philly). We are a family of 5, with school age kids. Usually go on weekends.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks again for the info. Yes, we go to NYC 2-3 times a year. Usually, we stay for 2 nights, but sometimes just for one night, since we live so close (Philly). We are a family of 5, with school age kids. Usually go on weekends.

With a family of 5 seeking busy weekends and holidays, NYC will be tough without owning there because most availability at 60 days are studios with a max of 2 occupants and you will need at least 2 units (a 1 bedroom and studio or 3 studios) at W57 or Residences or Central at 5th. The low point one bedrooms are the first to book up by owners. Trying to get two or three units is a crap shoot if you trade in.

You might want to consider resale Hilton Club NY (HCNY) which has 2 bedroom units and better availability for holidays/last minute but also has a some restrictions. You cannot trade HGVC into this property and must own there. The MF are a bit higher than W57.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC

Where have you stayed with your family of 5 on weekends in NYC, and what are you typically used to paying per night? I agree with CalGalTraveler that resale Hilton Club NY would be your best option for a larger unit in NY.

PhilaMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again for all the info. Often, we stay at Marriott Marquis or boutique hotels. Usually, during holiday times or early summer. Have paid $350-450/nt. I’ll have to look into the Hilton Club NY. I’ve been reading posts about the different NY properties and it is a little confusing.

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: W 57th, the website shows that the one BR is 710 sq ft, the plus is 546 sq ft, and the premium is 570 sq ft. Is the 710 a typo? Suzanne.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: W 57th, the website shows that the one BR is 710 sq ft, the plus is 546 sq ft, and the premium is 570 sq ft. Is the 710 a typo? Suzanne.

No the regular 1br is bigger but the extra space does not really add any extra usable space. Those That I have stayed in the extra space is part of the entrance and not in the living room or bedroom.

Don’t book the regular 1br for extra space. Book it to save points when a 1br is needed.