• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

15 elite night with the Marriott credit card

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree. After attaining lifetime, the new card is better. My wife made a mistake and switched to the new card when she was solicited right at the start. We're trying to get her to lifetime Platinum, and she didn't realize the new card didn't get the nights. When she told me what she had done I said, "Oh crap!" So now we actually have to stay 50+ nights for the next 3 years to get her to lifetime. We have to take a bunch of stuff down to Florida today/tomorrow to help our daughter finish moving in for her junior year at University of Florida, so that will give us the two nights she needs to get 50 for 2019, but we're going to have an issue getting to 50 in 2020. Going to have to get creative.
She'll still get the 15 nights per year with the card. Just not the 1 night per $3000 spend.

TRAVELING FOOL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. After attaining lifetime, the new card is better. My wife made a mistake and switched to the new card when she was solicited right at the start. We're trying to get her to lifetime Platinum, and she didn't realize the new card didn't get the nights. When she told me what she had done I said, "Oh crap!" So now we actually have to stay 50+ nights for the next 3 years to get her to lifetime. We have to take a bunch of stuff down to Florida today/tomorrow to help our daughter finish moving in for her junior year at University of Florida, so that will give us the two nights she needs to get 50 for 2019, but we're going to have an issue getting to 50 in 2020. Going to have to get creative.
I think you just made my mind up to upgrade to the new card. We are lifetime platinum now, so the 2xpt/$1on misc. and 6x/$1 on Marriott expenses are more appealing. Getting ready for a Boston- Montreal cruise. Staying at the Renaissance in Boston prior to, and the Marriott Chateau Champlain 3 nights afterwards...all on points. Even better, we got a 5 night reward upgrade to a 2 bedroom executive suite in Montreal. Sometimes you just have to love Marriott! Lol.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
She'll still get the 15 nights per year with the card. Just not the 1 night per $3000 spend.

Yeah, I know, but the 1 night per $3K would have been nice, since she uses that card for business expenses. She didn't realize that perk wasn't offered on the new card and had already upgraded before she mentioned it to me.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, but the 1 night per $3K would have been nice, since she uses that card for business expenses. She didn't realize that perk wasn't offered on the new card and had already upgraded before she mentioned it to me.

Yeah, depends what the business expenses are! When I had my own business and was not retired, 100k charges per month was typical (yes, I did not pay any interest). You can compute how many nights that would be! That 100k was to buy stuff I had already sold.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Yeah, depends what the business expenses are! When I had my own business and was not retired, 100k charges per month was typical (yes, I did not pay any interest). You can compute how many nights that would be! That 100k was to buy stuff I had already sold.

Hers wasn't $100K, just business travel expenses, but it could have easily come to 1 or 2 nights per month or 12-24 per year. Add the 15 anniversary nights, and you start with 27-39 nights before any stays. Pretty easy to get to 50 or 75 then.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hers wasn't $100K, just business travel expenses, but it could have easily come to 1 or 2 nights per month or 12-24 per year. Add the 15 anniversary nights, and you start with 27-39 nights before any stays. Pretty easy to get to 50 or 75 then.

I know, but you noted my exact point, would be easy to make the nights. For me, even at 50k, that would have been 16 nights per month, or, 192 per year + 15 anniversary nights, lol.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you just made my mind up to upgrade to the new card. We are lifetime platinum now, so the 2xpt/$1on misc. and 6x/$1 on Marriott expenses are more appealing. Getting ready for a Boston- Montreal cruise. Staying at the Renaissance in Boston prior to, and the Marriott Chateau Champlain 3 nights afterwards...all on points. Even better, we got a 5 night reward upgrade to a 2 bedroom executive suite in Montreal. Sometimes you just have to love Marriott! Lol.

Sorry if asked already in another thread... but what does Lifetime Platinum get you? Don't you still have to achieve the annual Platinum level nights to get Platinum benefits?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sorry if asked already in another thread... but what does Lifetime Platinum get you? Don't you still have to achieve the annual Platinum level nights to get Platinum benefits?

No. Once you attain "Lifetime" status at any level, you keep that level and associated benefits for the duration of however long your account remains in good standing. If at any time during that period you satisfy the requirements of a level higher than your achieved Lifetime level, though, you'll be temporarily bumped up to that higher level.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Once you attain "Lifetime" status at any level, you keep that level and associated benefits for the duration of however long your account remains in good standing. If at any time during that period you satisfy the requirements of a level higher than your achieved Lifetime level, though, you'll be temporarily bumped up to that higher level.

Thanks Susan. We achieved Lifetime Plat last year so it looks like we should (also) go to the new Visa card, the Boundless, because points are more important than nights stay. Correct?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

What is the top lifetime level one can achieve going forward?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Just a clarification...I am assuming that if you are Lifetime Platinum, you also automatically get the annual choice benefit (ie-suite night upgrades for example), even without staying 50 nights?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a clarification...I am assuming that if you are Lifetime Platinum, you also automatically get the annual choice benefit (ie-suite night upgrades for example), even without staying 50 nights?

That’s something I’m puzzled about too.

Looking at benefits it says-
Platinum Elite Members Receive All of the Following Benefits...

But then-
Annual gift choice for those members with 50 qualified nights

I read that as the gift choice isn’t automatic with lifetime platinum- still need the 50 nights?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s something I’m puzzled about too.

Looking at benefits it says-
Platinum Elite Members Receive All of the Following Benefits...

But then-
Annual gift choice for those members with 50 qualified nights

I read that as the gift choice isn’t automatic with lifetime platinum- still need the 50 nights?
My understanding is you have to meet the 50 nights also. I am lifetime Titanium and my wife is Titanium by virtue of our MVC membership and only she got the 5 suite nights once she hit the 50 night limit. And only she got the 15 nights credit by virtue of a CC.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
My understanding is you have to meet the 50 nights also. I am lifetime Titanium and my wife is Titanium by virtue of our MVC membership and only she got the 5 suite nights once she hit the 50 night limit. And only she got the 15 nights credit by virtue of a CC.
Correct, the nights are still required to get to the benefit choices which include suite nights.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dean, did you got to lifetime titanium before the rule change using lifetime nights?
And your wife if yearly titanium due to MVC, but of course unless you sell your ownership that will be so every year?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, did you got to lifetime titanium before the rule change using lifetime nights?
And your wife if yearly titanium due to MVC, but of course unless you sell your ownership that will be so every year?
Correct on both counts. We travel mostly under her number so she gets the credit since I don't need it thus the CC that generate points are also in her name/number.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the MVC Ownership Bonvoy Titanium...etc Elite level benefit is reviewed each year, so you need to retain qualification status.
In theory, MVC could withdraw this benefit although that is highly unlikely.
Having said that, in theory Marriott could close the whole Bonvoy Rewards programme although that is even more unlikely.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yes to get the bonus at 50 and 75 nights you would need to stays each year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the MVC Ownership Bonvoy Titanium...etc Elite level benefit is reviewed each year, so you need to retain qualification status.
In theory, MVC could withdraw this benefit although that is highly unlikely.
Having said that, in theory Marriott could close the whole Bonvoy Rewards programme although that is even more unlikely.
Which is a point I've made a number of times about no contractual add on options.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Thanks Susan. We achieved Lifetime Plat last year so it looks like we should (also) go to the new Visa card, the Boundless, because points are more important than nights stay. Correct?

Well, I dunno. I'll give you the big fat "it depends." That means it depends on what is most important to you. And it also depends on how much you are spending on your Marriott credit card.

If you are lifetime Plat, and you feel that the chances of ever hitting Titanium status based on elite nights per year (Titanium requires 75 nights) are near zilch, then I'd agree with you.

But if you might get close to Titanium status based on elite nights, and if you needed just a few more nights to reach 75, and if having Titanium Marriott hotel status might be valuable to you, then I'd rethink your statement. As I understand things, you still get an additional elite night credit for each $3000 spent on the old Chase Marriott Premier VISA card but not the new Boundless card. (And this, by the way, was exactly our situation this year. My wife will soon have 71 Marriott nights, so she is 4 short of reaching (retaining) Titanium status. We have enjoyed our Titanium status over this past year because we've had some very nice upgrades. If we still had the old Marriott Premier VISA, I could have put 12K of spend onto that card and hit the target. Since we "upgraded" to the new Bonvoy Boundless card, I'm instead looking for 4 more hotel nights in order for her to maintain Titanium. That's not horribly difficult, but I still would have appreciated the added flexibility that I would have had with the old Chase Marriott Premier card to just spend more on the card and get a few more nights credited.)

As a timeshare owner, it's not out of the question to hit or come near 75 annual nights. You get 15 nights for having the credit card, so you need 60 more. Well, a few timeshare weeks, plus a few inexpensive Interval accommodation certificates redeemed for Marriott timeshare stays, plus maybe a trip with some stays at Marriott hotels and you're getting pretty close.

My point: the upgrade decision is tricky calculus.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Clearly I'm missing something. Please inform me. I'm Titanium based on my ownership, but average 50 nights per year, and don't achieve the extra 5 suite nights. But with the titanium status, will I not be upgraded to a suite, based on availability at check-in whether I have suite nights or not?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Clearly I'm missing something. Please inform me. I'm Titanium based on my ownership, but average 50 nights per year, and don't achieve the extra 5 suite nights. But with the titanium status, will I not be upgraded to a suite, based on availability at check-in whether I have suite nights or not?
Yes you will based on Titanium status. The gift you can choose at 50 nights is an award for 5 Suite Night Awards that can clear as early as 5 days before checkin.

So let's say we both have a reservation for Sept 1-6 at the same hotel. I have requested to use my 5 SNA on this reservation and you did not. I would clear that suite with SNA before you check in. If there was another suite available, you would get that room based on your Titanium status.

I have read that people have gotten double upgrades. Once using their SNA, then again based upon their Titanium status. I have been 0 for 3 on SNA this past year. From a stay as short as a night to a full week I have not been able to use the SNA.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something in this thread, but if you were lifetime platinum before the change you are now lifetime titanium. My heavyweight lifetime titanium card, it's metal, arrived in the mail last week.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Yes you will based on Titanium status. The gift you can choose at 50 nights is an award for 5 Suite Night Awards that can clear as early as 5 days before checkin.

So let's say we both have a reservation for Sept 1-6 at the same hotel. I have requested to use my 5 SNA on this reservation and you did not. I would clear that suite with SNA before you check in. If there was another suite available, you would get that room based on your Titanium status.

I have read that people have gotten double upgrades. Once using their SNA, then again based upon their Titanium status. I have been 0 for 3 on SNA this past year. From a stay as short as a night to a full week I have not been able to use the SNA.

Okay. I understand. Thank you.