• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

opportunity to enroll external marriott shadow ridge week

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, the ST Kitts deal sounds better. Of course, that's todays deal, you can hold out for a better deal, or, go for it. The St Kitts sounds really good to me. Sometimes, Spain can enroll, sometimes not.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for input , not sure what you mean on those fixed or plus weeks when I spoke to Spain directly and they cant enroll my shadow ridge week and this is what their best offer was :
the price per point would work out at just $7.27 ($37,800/5,200) buying dc points and adding )free silver week 1950 pts to the purchase of 3250 dc pts- You would get 5,200 Vacation Club Points per year (3,250 + 1,950) for $37,800. MF's would cost $2518 / yr... the st kitts option calculates to approx $5.00 to 5.40 / pt on my options I posted and mf $1977
OK, let me try again. Have you confirmed that you have the option AND availability of actually buying the fixed week at St. Kitts or a Platinum plus week in Aruba? I would not add a silver week unless the fees per point were very favorable which is unlikely so if that's you're only option to get there with Spain, I wouldn't. Others have suggested the ability to enroll with Spain but I can't say for sure. I think you'll find the points for fees are more favorable for SC than the other 2 but you'll need to balance price into the equation and you'll also have to take into account the availiablity. Let us know how it goes.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
@hogs14:
Your TUG profile indicates that you already own at least three very nice timeshares and that you are no novice when it comes to timesharing. You obviously can afford to purchase the additional MCVI points from the developer. You have been offered what seems to be a pretty good deal as far as retail purchases can be. So, where do you want to go and when do you want to go there? A few dollars more or less at Aruba, St. Kitts, or Spain is not going to make or break you. The cost of travel is another consideration. If you plan on frequent visits to Spain, then purchase in Spain with understanding the cost of travel. The same applies to Aruba and St. Kitts.

I am planning a trip to St. Kitts with BONVOY points.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I just want to share that I thoroughly reviewed the St. Kitts, Aruba Surf Club/Aruba Ocean Club purchase options. Without a doubt, St. Kitts gives you the best bang for the buck. The price per point is good but is not as good as you increase the seasons and views of the units. The concept of getting as many points for the maintenance fee was initially my thinking as well.

However, I looked at other variables before I made my decision. First, St. Kitts is not as easy to sell as there are some requirements by the government that causes some complexity in sales. Secondly, its resale value was really low compared to the other properties. Thirdly, if considering it as a rental, there is a continuous seaweed problem that gets very bad and accessibility to St. Kitts was quite costly and flights were not plentiful. Lastly, it was in the hurricane zone. I know it hasn’t been impacted to the degree of an assessment, but the issue of hurricane impacting your vacation is there.

I would definitely bring a resale week in as the sales of these properties do count like points purchases and you can add resales into the DC program.

Just some thoughts.

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
polo towers , marriott shadow ridge , hyatt sunset beach
Carlito, any idea what aruba resales are going for at the moment ?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
In terms of your value proposition, I would not include the points generated by your shadow ridge week into your calculation. It’s a tactic that sales uses to make the price per point seem much less than it really is. They tried this with me on my Maui weeks, essentially saying that by purchasing additional points, and factoring in my resale purchase, that my net purchase price per point was about $4. But in the end, you’re still purchasing something at retail.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
In terms of your value proposition, I would not include the points generated by your shadow ridge week into your calculation. It’s a tactic that sales uses to make the price per point seem much less than it really is. They tried this with me on my Maui weeks, essentially saying that by purchasing additional points, and factoring in my resale purchase, that my net purchase price per point was about $4. But in the end, you’re still purchasing something at retail.

Yeah, I misread his posts thinking the St Kitts weeks were 7,000 points. My previous comments were based on this. If they were, it was an awesome deal.

hogs14

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
polo towers , marriott shadow ridge , hyatt sunset beach
but if I factor in the price of $4,000 that I paid for Shadow , wouldnt that become an accurate calculation? So instead of paying around 8.95 / point before adding in my resale SR , I should try to find a price of around $4-5 / point with a enrolling week or a bundle ?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Carlito, any idea what aruba resales are going for at the moment

I’m not sure, but I believe I read someone was offered a 2 bedroom OV Platinum at Surf Club at about $42,000. This was the thread where CPNY said he was stated what he was quoted for Aruba. I know from the season and 4070 DC points that it’s Surf Club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is very true. You already have the week, and, they are merely adding an option to elect for points. In return, you purchase at inflated retail price. The weeks will be worth very little resale.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I’m not sure, but I believe I read someone was offered a 2 bedroom OV Platinum at Surf Club at about $42,000. This was the thread where CPNY said he was stated what he was quoted for Aruba. I know from the season and 4070 DC points that it’s Surf Club.
Correct. I also received a call on Friday to set up another call for Saturday (which i thought was odd) to go over a bundle package they were going to offer me. The call never came Saturday. I have the notes written down but yes it was in the low to mid 40s for the OV 2 bed Plat surf club. They also offered a smaller room for less points at 35K

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. I also received a call on Friday to set up another call for Saturday (which i thought was odd) to go over a bundle package they were going to offer me. The call never came Saturday. I have the notes written down but yes it was in the low to mid 40s for the OV 2 bed Plat surf club. They also offered a smaller room for less points at 35K

You need a better deal than that then! That's ~$10/point, way above what many are able to get with hybrid deals.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

You need a better deal than that then! That's ~$10/point, way above what many are able to get with hybrid deals. Unless there is more to the deal than this simple week?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

The smaller room may have been a one bedroom at the Aruba Ocean Club. They usually offer that or the Surf Club.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
You need a better deal than that then! That's ~$10/point, way above what many are able to get with hybrid deals. Unless there is more to the deal than this simple week?
The smaller room may have been a one bedroom at the Aruba Ocean Club. They usually offer that or the Surf Club.
it was the ocean club at $45,640 for 4075 points or 2 bedroom gold $34,440 worth 3,000 points and their plan was for me to buy 2 units for $70K for 6,000 points.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
it was the ocean club at $45,640 for 4075 points or 2 bedroom gold $34,440 worth 3,000 points and their plan was for me to buy 2 units for $70K for 6,000 points.

WOW!! That’s no bargain at all at over $11 per point. The prices for the Aruba resorts have increased significantly over the last year. Marriott seems to be tightening up their prices on the weeks they still sell so that the price per point is now higher.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

WOW!! That’s no bargain at all at over $11 per point. The prices for the Aruba resorts have increased significantly over the last year. Marriott seems to be tightening up their prices on the weeks they still sell so that the price per point is now higher.
Myself and at least one other was offered an OC 2 BR Platinum OS at 4425 points rather than 4075. In my case I would have had to buy an additional 250 its to reach the limit to enroll my 7.5 weeks. I ended up buying a 3 BR at SC instead without the additional points. For me it saved me in the range of $13K over buying points to enroll even with the discount on points plus it's roughly $500/yr cheaper in terms of dues. For me my goal was to enroll the rest of my weeks so this was the best option for me. I didn't need more points beyond that so buying a hybrid didn't add any real benefit. Looked at in isolation all of the options were very high on a per point $ cost though for me the OC would have been $10 pp and the SC 3 BR around $9. It worked out great for my situation but were this main or only Marriott ownership it would have not been a good deal. Starting from scratch there would have been a lot of better options than what I bought.