• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just want to say thatWestin Nanea is fabulous. I love it, but there is an odor lingering outside...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
An odor that lingers. What is that odor? It's everywhere. Oh, yes, of course, it's the water treatment plant up mountain from here, and just slightly north. We drive from Hono Koa to Lahaina or anywhere south, and we always hit the recirculate button on the AC. :)

We were talking about the odor from the lanai of our second floor unit, 2204, just above the parade of salespeople with their victims, and one salesman heard me say how bad it smells, and he said, "I don't smell anything." But the lady did smell it and she made a face at me and plugged her nose. Hilarious.

I am very sensitive to that smell. Rick doesn't care a bit. He is on the lanai right now, reading his book. We are heading to a movie in about five minutes.

I do love Nanea, however. It's a beautiful resort. The grounds are the prettiest I have seen anywhere. We are crazy about it. I would love to stay here again and probably will in January-early February. We feel very blessed to stay here via II exchange. Those exchanges will dry up soon, so I wanted to take advantage of a few weeks. Love it here.

The kitchen is so well planned, and I love the way the pantry is between the appliances in a little door. I have been designing a new kitchen at our rental property and loved this design. The cabinets do seem a bit too commercial, rather like you would see in a kitchen for a business. Our son's store has a kitchen with similar cabinets, not really kitchen cabinets.

We do have a peek of an ocean view, but the grounds are so gorgeous, I get enough ocean view from Hono Koa, which WAS HOT last week with no AC. It was 93 degrees in our bedroom one late afternoon. Having a lanai that faces directly west is definitely a treat in winter, but in summer, it's miserable in that unit. But it sounds like the new manager of the Hawaii properties is wanting to install AC in the units without them. I would be so grateful for that. :)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
An odor that lingers. What is that odor? It's everywhere. Oh, yes, of course, it's the water treatment plant up mountain from here, and just slightly north. We drive from Hono Koa to Lahaina or anywhere south, and we always hit the recirculate button on the AC. :)

We were talking about the odor from the lanai of our second floor unit, 2204, just above the parade of salespeople with their victims, and one salesman heard me say how bad it smells, and he said, "I don't smell anything." But the lady did smell it and she made a face at me and plugged her nose. Hilarious.

I am very sensitive to that smell. Rick doesn't care a bit. He is on the lanai right now, reading his book. We are heading to a movie in about five minutes.

I do love Nanea, however. It's a beautiful resort. The grounds are the prettiest I have seen anywhere. We are crazy about it. I would love to stay here again and probably will in January-early February. We feel very blessed to stay here via II exchange. Those exchanges will dry up soon, so I wanted to take advantage of a few weeks. Love it here.

The kitchen is so well planned, and I love the way the pantry is between the appliances in a little door. I have been designing a new kitchen at our rental property and loved this design. The cabinets do seem a bit too commercial, rather like you would see in a kitchen for a business. Our son's store has a kitchen with similar cabinets, not really kitchen cabinets.

We do have a peek of an ocean view, but the grounds are so gorgeous, I get enough ocean view from Hono Koa, which WAS HOT last week with no AC. It was 93 degrees in our bedroom one late afternoon. Having a lanai that faces directly west is definitely a treat in winter, but in summer, it's miserable in that unit. But it sounds like the new manager of the Hawaii properties is wanting to install AC in the units without them. I would be so grateful for that. :)

I've wondered if Westin Kaanapali North (next door to Nanea) and some of the other nearby Timeshares also smell the sewage treatment plant.

Does Hono Koa have a smell problem as well.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I've wondered if Westin Kaanapali North (next door to Nanea) and some of the other nearby Timeshares also smell the sewage treatment plant.

Does Hono Koa have a smell problem as well.

Yes and yes

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Hono Koa doesn't have an odor. It's at least a mile, probably more, to the smell. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have never smelled it at Westin Ka'anapli North. I did smell something pretty bad from the south towers, but we had a sugar cane train view that time, about 8 years ago, I would guess.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
Having stayed there 3 times so far, I can say that the scent comes and goes. less noticeable facing inside or towards the ocean. parking lot side and out front can get pretty ripe. I have smelled it at the NW corner of WKORV (smoking area) a few times as well. Nanea does a pretty good job of hiding the smell while inside, but on a humid day with the right winds, there is nothing you can do. Honua Kai (sp.?) also has the same issue I noticed, and they have been there much longer. it really depends on the wind and humidity for the most part. If you are EXTREMELY sensitive to this, then it will definitely affect your stay. I could ignore it MOST of the time, but once in a while you make that 'icky smell' face. I hear there are possible plans to relocate the treatment plant away from the shoreline. Still, it never ruined my stay or made me enjoy Nanea any less. sure it's not PERFECT, but it's still better than a lot of the alternatives.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We were at WKORN OF but also walking around the resort and parking garage for a week during late June and never smelled it. I have a sensitive sense of smell too. Also rented a cabana at Nanea near the inner plunge pools and never smelled it. It was a hot moderately humid week with rain in the late afternoon on a few days.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m at WKORV-N right now, building 8, and have not smelled anything. I did feel the smell when we were walking through Nanea a couple of days ago. I still love all of the Westin properties and keep coming back year after year. The smell has never been an issue.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes! I booked two weeks in Nanea next year to try it out, and I sure hope we don't experience The Stink! We haven't been bothered by it at WKORV or WKORVN in the past, but we spend a lot of time off the resort. It would be a shame to come home to your unit, and not be able to use the lanai.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yikes! I booked two weeks in Nanea next year to try it out, and I sure hope we don't experience The Stink! We haven't been bothered by it at WKORV or WKORVN in the past, but we spend a lot of time off the resort. It would be a shame to come home to your unit, and not be able to use the lanai.
Our lanai has a moderate smell during the afternoons, but frankly, it's been 92-93 in the afternoons, which is hot for me, so I don't spend time out there later in the day. We are out here now, and the smell is not really present this minute. The air is rather still this AM. It feels good out here in the mornings.

We were walking back from the exercise room on Monday around noon and could smell it in the lobby, coming in through that door, but as we walked further into the seating area, the smell was not present, just the smell of their air freshener, which I love. I should check the stores for that scent. I would love for my house to have that wonderful smell.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...We were walking back from the exercise room on Monday around noon and could smell it in the lobby, coming in through that door, but as we walked further into the seating area, the smell was not present, just the smell of their air freshener, which I love. I should check the stores for that scent. I would love for my house to have that wonderful smell.

Well, here you go, Cindy! https://www.westinstore.com/product.aspx?scent-diffuser

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's expensive stuff! I guess I will stick with my Wallflowers from Bath and Body Works. If that diffuser worked really well, I might consider adding it to my Christmas wish list.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
That's expensive stuff! I guess I will stick with my Wallflowers from Bath and Body Works. If that diffuser worked really well, I might consider adding it to my Christmas wish list.

I thought it was spendy too, but it last for half a month. I thought that if I got a timer for the outlet and had it come on just before I got home and off around bedtime, it would last a lot longer. Almost worth it. I'll put it on my Christmas list as well. I already have the heavenly bed (perfection), so I will wake up thinking I'm on Hawaii, then be sorely disappointed when I have to go to work.. *sigh*

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Never noticed any smell when I was there last year for a week. I was in a two bedroom unit that had a partial ocean view. Though actually bought and received points for a 1 bedroom (which I hear aren't the greatest). I guess I'll find out soon enough when I go back. Love the place.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I read something about the winds typically coming from the NE. So perhaps that is why it is a less likely issue with Hono Kai, Kaanapali Beach Club, Papakea, etc.

I suspect that the higher up a person is at the affected resorts, the less likely or less objectionable the smell would be.