• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's Killing Macy's? Hint: It's Not Amazon

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Macy's folded their tent at our mall a year or so ago. It's a Hobby Lobby now and we haven't darkened their door. I'd pretty much given up on Macy's after they bought out Bon Marche'. liked 'The Bon' which was a Northwest chain, but never warmed to Macy's which we perceived to be a 'New York' store. Hardly what's going to go over in Idaho.

Jim
From what I've been told Macy's has "A, B and C" type stores. The "A"s are in places like NYC, San Francisco and others. In Albuquerque I've been told there is a "C". I haven't bothered to check it out.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I just went to Macy’s this weekend. The store looked like a bargain basement store. Clearance and sale racks of clothes, with hangars and clothes all over the floor. Stains of unknown substances in the dressing rooms. They have literally ripped out and removed the cash registers. There are no sales associates to help you anywhere to be found. There are associates at the make up and perfume counters but they are not allowed to help if you don’t purchase their items. This was on the weekend and there was only one associate in the shoe dept - she had to run and get shoes and check out customers.

I do shop on Macy’s online frequently. They do have frequent sales. They’ll find you an item you are looking for wherever it’s located around the country.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Heck, I have a HUGE wardrobe for the same reason. I just never throw anything away. I know that SOMEDAY, I'll be the size again and it will fit. :)

That's my hubby. In fact, while packing for our upcoming move, all my clothes that were in my dresser fit into a duffel bag suitcase. Hubby's- NOT! He needed a big moving box to put all his in! Mind you- he always wears the same couple of things!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I used to shop at Parisian and that got bought out my Carsons and that folded up a year or so ago...

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went to Macy’s this weekend. The store looked like a bargain basement store. Clearance and sale racks of clothes, with hangars and clothes all over the floor. Stains of unknown substances in the dressing rooms. They have literally ripped out and removed the cash registers. There are no sales associates to help you anywhere to be found. There are associates at the make up and perfume counters but they are not allowed to help if you don’t purchase their items. This was on the weekend and there was only one associate in the shoe dept - she had to run and get shoes and check out customers.

I do shop on Macy’s online frequently. They do have frequent sales. They’ll find you an item you are looking for wherever it’s located around the country.
Your post describes most Macy's stores exactly.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I'm loathe to go into a department store....they're too big with too many areas and vast wastelands trying to find someone to check you out. All of my personal clothing shopping is done at Costco and smaller specialty stores like White House/Black Market where it's easy to pull an entire outfit together and the salespeople actually help you. Most of my shoes are purchased online (Zappo's aka Amazon) although I did go into a Sketcher store recently and found a few pairs of comfortable shoes with a great sale going on.

Brett

Reaction score
Heck, I have a HUGE wardrobe for the same reason. I just never throw anything away. I know that SOMEDAY, I'll be the size again and it will fit. :)

Reading this is a reminder I've got to clean out the closets and throw away old clothes that I will never wear

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading this is a reminder I've got to clean out the closets and throw away old clothes that I will never wear
My wife wishes I'd do the same. (full disclosure) I took several boxes and bags of clothes to Goodwill at the beginning of Summer.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So far our experience is completely the opposite with Lowes and Home Depot. I would much rather go in to a Lowes where I can push a button and someone shows up to help me. I had to hunt someone down at Home Depot and said "you don't have buttons to push" and he said, "we aren't Lowes". You got that right, I can actually get someone's attention at Lowes. In the Home Depot there isn't anyone to be found!

Oooh, Lowe's has buttons? It's been about ten years since it seems like we were there every day buying stuff for our new home, and they sure didn't have buttons then. We go a couple times a year only, since HD is closer, but I'll be sure to see if they have buttons in our store now.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Our Macy's replaced a Broadway, and a Bullocks maybe 15 years ago now? The clothing departments were down on the Bullocks end of the mall, and the Broadway side became Macy's Home. Nothing wrong with the Macy's, but I don't go often enough to really know where things are and more often than not order online from them. We so rarely go beyond JCPenney's and See's Candy any more, that last month when we did trot toward Macy's I said to Cliff "I think the Macy's Home is gone", but we really didn't explore. Too befuddled that they'd totally changed the food court to cope with the department store change too. And we'd made the walk to the food court because I wanted a cheese on a stick and a fresh lemonade from Hot Dog On A Stick, and a Mrs. Fields cookie. Both are gone, leaving somewhat more upscale fast food. We shared a Chipotle burrito instead, and then hit See's for dessert on our way back to the car parked outside JCP . I do not like change!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our Macy's replaced a Broadway, and a Bullocks maybe 15 years ago now? The clothing departments were down on the Bullocks end of the mall, and the Broadway side became Macy's Home. Nothing wrong with the Macy's, but I don't go often enough to really know where things are and more often than not order online from them. We so rarely go beyond JCPenney's and See's Candy any more, that last month when we did trot toward Macy's I said to Cliff "I think the Macy's Home is gone", but we really didn't explore. Too befuddled that they'd totally changed the food court to cope with the department store change too. And we'd made the walk to the food court because I wanted a cheese on a stick and a fresh lemonade from Hot Dog On A Stick, and a Mrs. Fields cookie. Both are gone, leaving somewhat more upscale fast food. We shared a Chipotle burrito instead, and then hit See's for dessert on our way back to the car parked outside JCP . I do not like change!
I used to work for Bullock's.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We must have Macy’s “C” stores in Tidewater VA because they are all closed (Portsmouth & Chesapeake) Except in Virginia Beach and in Richmond, VA,

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I went to the flagship store in nyc while on business. The experience was fabulous. I wanted to see a chesterfield sofa I saw online. I told the sales lady that I was looking. She pulled out all the fabrics and told me she could order it in other fabrics, not just the 8 standard, for the same price. Then she spent 20 minutes ordering samples for me. I plan to buy the sofa from her and have Macy’s ship to NC. Definitely an A store. Very different even than the DC flagship store-must be a B.
She gave me her card with her schedule and email. She returned my email about delaying buying until the fall and when the next sale might be.
And, the sofa was great and comparable to other cheaper online vendors’ versions.
I don’t buy clothes there anymore. Very young slinky stuff for 20s or too matronly. I’m 50-not 20 and not 70.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Macy's was my favorite clothing store for a long time - I shopped the sales using their credit card/coupons and always could find something. The last couple years, though, not so much, even online. I've been hoping that it was just a matter of the latest colors/lines just not appealing to me but it's gone on too long for it to not be also a problem with the store. <sigh>

I've found Talbots now has what I like and the colors for this fall are colors I love! But I'm trying to stay out of the mall locations and in the outlet stores, so far so good. :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Macy’s? What’s that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Penneys. I love Penneys. I buy my clothes there a lot. I love the brands.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I’ve always loved the flagship Macy’s store in NYC but the rest are pretty much a waste of time. We’ve had some sweet shopping on King St in Charleston over the years but national brands are taking over. Rising rents have some of the privately owned boutiques struggling. We’ve lost a number of them recently. For local department store shopping I like Belk and Dillards.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I went to the flagship store in nyc while on business. The experience was fabulous. I wanted to see a chesterfield sofa I saw online. I told the sales lady that I was looking. She pulled out all the fabrics and told me she could order it in other fabrics, not just the 8 standard, for the same price. Then she spent 20 minutes ordering samples for me. I plan to buy the sofa from her and have Macy’s ship to NC. Definitely an A store. Very different even than the DC flagship store-must be a B.
She gave me her card with her schedule and email. She returned my email about delaying buying until the fall and when the next sale might be.
And, the sofa was great and comparable to other cheaper online vendors’ versions.
I don’t buy clothes there anymore. Very young slinky stuff for 20s or too matronly. I’m 50-not 20 and not 70.
Same age and it’s hard to find clothing period because they either are buying Club wear or Corporate wear. I do love Off 5th and the Rack. Fashionable clothes you can wear to work and out.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
On outlet shopping...When Nordstrom in Seattle first opened its Rack, all the merchandise was from the flagship store. Returns, overstocks, sale items, etc. Now, now like almost every outlet today, the majority of the items are made specifically for the outlet. While they carry a “brand name,” you get what you pay for, of lesser quality and usually not a deal at all. Depending on your location, some Racks have a rack marked, “Just in from Nordstrom’s,” which have not been manufactured just for an outlet. A few other items are also from Nordstrom’s, some coats for example. I do find that shoes, especially designer shoes, at the Rack can be first quality name brands and good deals. I check the Rack weekly but rarely outlet shop elsewhere anymore or even find much there. I miss the days when outlets were really outlets!